ZunZhine

Step by step from Reno to Moving in

Hi,

I am a little confused and off focused on what to do...more on what to do first and next. I recalled seeing a post somewhere on the steps to follow for reno.

etc:

get key & CF

check defects

reno

painting

light fittings

curtains

In a proper sequential order, but I just can't locate that post despite searching over and over again.

Can MB members share with me some experience and advise on what one should do? the sequence of the reno work and moving in?

I am lost and need some guide on this.

Thanks a lot!! :)

Im facing the same situation like u n i feel so messy ..... so i wish to hav a related guide list as well ...

by the way, may i know which stage r u now? mayb v can hav sum sharing over here :lol: im looking for contractor for renovation ....

Hi Whitepuma,

I am looking for contractor too, seen a few, (much lesser compared to some member here who have seen like a dozen), I only saw like 4-5, and I am already so confused and tired. haha. Anyway, I am not planning on major reno, just some basic reno - kitchen etc. but there's so many that requires planning, lights, curtains, grilles, reno work, kitchen, yard, wadrobe, painitng, toiletries installation ( all those stuff in toilets and bathrooms) , electrical installation, and I am so messed up I dunno which should come first! sigh....

how about yourself? what's your plan so far?

Im facing the same situation like u n i feel so messy ..... so i wish to hav a related guide list as well ...

by the way, may i know which stage r u now? mayb v can hav sum sharing over here :lol: im looking for contractor for renovation ....

I'm not sure if what we did was the correct way. Now i'm already settled in the new house. It was a tiring process, but at the end, still satisfying la.

Just to share how we did it:

1) We went around some neighbours & showrooms for some thought about the design & layout

2) We didn't scout for too many contractors too. We just surveyed about 3-4 contractors only. we felt the more we survey, the more confused we are. So, we went around the neighbourhood & ask them to recommend those contractors that did their house. We felt at least these contractors already know the existing layout of the house, so it is easier for us to talk to them also.

3) They started with 1) Grille 2) Plaster ceilings + Lightings + Fans 3) Wet Kitchen (concrete top & cabinets) 4) Dry Kitchen (cabinets & Solid Top) 5) Shower Screens & other bathroom stuffs 6) Wardrobe 7) Installation of airconds (aircond piping was done earlier prior to the plaster ceiling) 8) Painting 9) installation of other accessories like racks, kitchen railings, bedroom lamps (those without plaster ceiling) etc....

4) 1st round cleaning, then move in new furnitures like sofa, tv console

5) 2nd round cleaning, then move in entirely.

Whole process takes about 3 months (November - Jan).

Hi ZZ,

Get your new house key oredy... congrat :lol:

For my opinion is if there is defect you need to inform the developer to settle it ASAP b4 you start any reno. you need to chase the developer to put this as priority as some developer will not repair for you after you done ur reno as they will give excuse that the defect may cause by your own reno.

Hi Ah suah,

congrats on moving into your new place. must be feeling HOME SWEET HOME now. I just can't wait for my turn, but at the same time fear the entire process. headache la. Thanks so much for your advice and sharing of your experience. The point you shares are in sequential order of what you did? Thanks so much :)

Hi wsyrinrin,

yep, now pening of what to do. feel so lost. just only submitted the defect list- was too busy earlier to compile the list. Big mistake, should have done that much earlier then we could start with reno now :( but since I only give the list so slow, now got to wait for developer to fix the defect before can start on reno. Better let them settle first, otherwise the developer and the contractor could play the blame game and I will get caught in the middle.

Thanks everyone.

welcome more advice and suggestion from others too. Thanks in advance.

Hi Whitepuma,

I am looking for contractor too, seen a few, (much lesser compared to some member here who have seen like a dozen), I only saw like 4-5, and I am already so confused and tired. haha. Anyway, I am not planning on major reno, just some basic reno - kitchen etc. but there's so many that requires planning, lights, curtains, grilles, reno work, kitchen, yard, wadrobe, painitng, toiletries installation ( all those stuff in toilets and bathrooms) , electrical installation, and I am so messed up I dunno which should come first! sigh....

how about yourself? what's your plan so far?

Me oso faint :wacko3: too many things .... as im preparing for my wedding at the same time ... :lol:

For now, im waiting for my contractor for the design plan .... in fact, mine consider minor reno as well .... kitchen cabinet is a mus n oso wardrobe .... others wil buy from the furniture shop .... jus to share wit u my plan ...

1) Check for defects

2) Survey on the contractor

3) Make sure the wayer is enuf for the electricity

4) Install grill

5) Install Kitchen cabinet n wardrobe

6) Install Electrical (Light, Fan, Air-cond ...)

7) Painting

8) Cleaning

9) Move in furnitures

10) Is time to move in :wub:

Not sure whether i missed out anything as tis is onli the plan ... i guess in between the process sure wil add in tis n tat :lol:

ZZ, where you staying?

I'm more lucky as my hb managed the repainting, lights and others.

But when i stayed for AD month, i see the contractor did the mini wet kitchen extention project..

It's messy job..the cleaning was so~~~~ tiring.

And had the living room's (near door pane) extented a bit for me to duduk when wearing shoes.

Now my front porch look hideous coz we didnt apply new paint...it's so yuck-ly stained.

my renovation steps:

1. wiring

2. plaster ceiling

3. kitchen cabinet

4. painting

5. install grill

6. clean house

just small renovation only :P

Dear all,

My house is in the midst of renovation.. I did not find any contractor but I find all the workers individual as to save cost.. I'm my own contractor :P and my steps are as below:

- Wet work for extending the backyard [if any]

- Install wiring [power points, light points, auto gate wiring, door bell, alarm wiring, cctv wiring, fan hook, etc.. anything that need to conseal in the wall]

- Install aircond pipes

- Plaster ceiling

- Paint

- Install grill

- Install awning for backyard

- Install kitchen & hood, hob, oven

- Install wardrobe

- Install shower glass door

- Install water heater

- Install lightings

- Install airconds

- Install fan

- Prepare new keys & locks

- Sofa, dining table, bed frame, mattress

- Start packing from the old house

my house is under reno right now...

we jz follow wat the contactor ask us to do... ALL oso pass to him do

he ask us buy paint.. we buy paint

buy fan.. we buy fan

buy shower glass.. we buy shower glass...

so i was confuse wat i have done actually...

but jz a tip.. the house cleaning part is really can pengsan.. MOP N TIMES OSO USELESS...

so engage a part time maid

throw her to do it..

anyway.. house is empty...

don need to afraid of wat oso

Hi,

jacqline, small_babe and guess, thanks so much for the great tips!!! truly appreciate and very informative and helpful, will jot them down as a reference :)

Today went and see the defect repair, mau pengsan, just a while and the workers turn my washroom into not-how-i-remember-it-to-be, cigarettes buds on floor!! and then they didn't clean the basisn after using. sigh...will demand they clean it if i still see it when i check the repair work when complete. :( hope they will clean it la.

As for cleaning after the entire process, Guess, I can imagine how tiring that process could be, and the idea about part time maid is a brilliant one! :)

genie_lee, my place is aroun PJ-KL.

For renovation, it is better to look for ONE good reliable contractor (you may ask recommendation from family members or friends), to cover the entire renovation job. Reason being, if you look for a few contractors, example, a contractor to do electrical wiring, a contractor to do pipping, while another contractor to do plaster ceiling, etc, the ala cart charges are higher by each individual contractor. Another issue is, there must to have coordination between each contractor to do accordingly to you design. Without proper communication, the wiring contractor may not understand what the size & design of the LBox plaster ceiling contractor.

We had done our house reno recently and this is our experience. We receive quotes from different contractors, plumber, electrician, tiles, etc. We calculate the total cost and find that a single contractor that later subcon to his other contractors give us better rate. The good point is we only have to liaise with main contractor we have confirmed. He has to make sure their team do a good job. The cons is, if you found an unreliable main contractor, your house gone :S.

Initially we in charge the renovation on our own. We get plumber to do the pipping for washing machine, reconstruct new pipping from the meter to water tank, and get electrician to install lighting and so on. I have a big complain on the plumber, because even the price is reasonable/slightly higher we have paid him, I get a shock when the WORKMANSHIP turns out so UGLY, with all the pipping route not conceal and it goes zig zag in the middle of the wall or floor! ghost! The plumber told us he has experience in doing so & so... etc etc. etc.. but at the end, he "talks" is better than his "work". At the end, we terminate him and really stressful to find another company to conceal all the work and rectify the error for us. Well it solve at the end!

The contractor we got really did a good job! He coordinate the entire house reno and good workmanship, reasonable guy. If you need contact, you may contact him at 012-6487760

Hi ZunZhine,

how is ur renovate progress? i jus got my quotation from my contractor ... after i look at the qoutation onli i know wat to add on for my renovate .....

Hi all, just a simple summary on the process of

design - renovation - handover process:

1) handover new hse from developer.

2) defect (which is better to get it done before start any renovation works). Especially currently is raining season, it is the best time for you to check on the water mark- water leakage from outdoor to indoor.

3) at the same time, designer can start their design on your new place, as defect work might take around 2-4 weeks.

4) while waiting for the design to be done, it is good that you work out on a budget. Eg: build in cabinet for RM xxx, loose fitting for RM xxx, appliances for RM xxx..etc...

5) confirmation on design

6) renovation costing

7) awarding on contractors /project management company.

8) renovations works...

a) submition drawings to authority.

b) floor/air con... protection with 1 layer of plaster + 1 layer of carton + 1 layer of ply

c) hacking work - demolition of wall/floor..

d) masonry work (extension kitchen..including finishes) & wiring works

e) ceiling structure

f) site measurement on build-in furniture

g) covered ceiling

h) painting works

i) installation of build in cabinet

j) light fitting installation

k) cleaning work

l) handover

Hope that it's answer your doubt :)

Dear all,

My house is in the midst of renovation.. I did not find any contractor but I find all the workers individual as to save cost.. I'm my own contractor :P and my steps are as below:

- Wet work for extending the backyard [if any]

- Install wiring [power points, light points, auto gate wiring, door bell, alarm wiring, cctv wiring, fan hook, etc.. anything that need to conseal in the wall]

- Install aircond pipes

- Plaster ceiling

- Paint

- Install grill

- Install awning for backyard

- Install kitchen & hood, hob, oven

- Install wardrobe

- Install shower glass door

- Install water heater

- Install lightings

- Install airconds

- Install fan

- Prepare new keys & locks

- Sofa, dining table, bed frame, mattress

- Start packing from the old house

You know...you can almost be a project manager? :lol:

Hi can share abit on how you renovate your house? your right, get 1 contractor and he will have sub sontrator to work under him. How much does that contractor of your charge?

For renovation, it is better to look for ONE good reliable contractor (you may ask recommendation from family members or friends), to cover the entire renovation job. Reason being, if you look for a few contractors, example, a contractor to do electrical wiring, a contractor to do pipping, while another contractor to do plaster ceiling, etc, the ala cart charges are higher by each individual contractor. Another issue is, there must to have coordination between each contractor to do accordingly to you design. Without proper communication, the wiring contractor may not understand what the size & design of the LBox plaster ceiling contractor.

We had done our house reno recently and this is our experience. We receive quotes from different contractors, plumber, electrician, tiles, etc. We calculate the total cost and find that a single contractor that later subcon to his other contractors give us better rate. The good point is we only have to liaise with main contractor we have confirmed. He has to make sure their team do a good job. The cons is, if you found an unreliable main contractor, your house gone :S.

Initially we in charge the renovation on our own. We get plumber to do the pipping for washing machine, reconstruct new pipping from the meter to water tank, and get electrician to install lighting and so on. I have a big complain on the plumber, because even the price is reasonable/slightly higher we have paid him, I get a shock when the WORKMANSHIP turns out so UGLY, with all the pipping route not conceal and it goes zig zag in the middle of the wall or floor! ghost! The plumber told us he has experience in doing so & so... etc etc. etc.. but at the end, he "talks" is better than his "work". At the end, we terminate him and really stressful to find another company to conceal all the work and rectify the error for us. Well it solve at the end!

The contractor we got really did a good job! He coordinate the entire house reno and good workmanship, reasonable guy. If you need contact, you may contact him at 014-323 8629.

The contractor we got really did a good job! He coordinate the entire house reno and good workmanship, reasonable guy. If you need contact, you may contact him at 014-323 8629.

do share more bout ur contractor? whereabout do you stay? my hse in USJ is gonna need a major reno. i duno if i can make it in time, so i have to get a really RELIABLE contractor.

Hi all .... im lookin for kind of sensor light ...

not sense for movement nor time setting but sense for whether ....

wat i mean is, the light wil turn on when the whther is dark then it wil turnoff when the whether is bright .....

hav u seen it or where can i get it?

Hi all .... im lookin for kind of sensor light ...

not sense for movement nor time setting but sense for whether ....

wat i mean is, the light wil turn on when the whther is dark then it wil turnoff when the whether is bright .....

hav u seen it or where can i get it?

This is daylight sensor. A good and reliable one is Selcon AS-2403A, cost about rm18 each. You need to plan where to place it as you do not want (1) your light to turn it off (it will on-off the whole night) and (2) turn on your light too early. You can buy it at any electrical or lighting shop.

This is daylight sensor. A good and reliable one is Selcon AS-2403A, cost about rm18 each. You need to plan where to place it as you do not want (1) your light to turn it off (it will on-off the whole night) and (2) turn on your light too early. You can buy it at any electrical or lighting shop.

Thx kaybee :wub:

can u giv me sum comments ... im staying at the apartment, i plan to hav a sensor light at the balcony, which type of sensor should i put?

1) daylight sensor

2) movement sensor

3) time sensor

ops, haven't notice got so many feedback. Thanks everyone for the tips and pointers :)

house reno still in progress, so many hiccups here and there and still there is. I think its unavoidable ler...sigh...but very very very tiring. I think it is so much tiring than wedding planning. To those who wed and move house sametime, really requires a lot of patience and planning... not an easy thing to do on its own, so 2 things same time, will be even more difficult to handle. But in the end, the result will be all worth it :)

Whitepuma, how is your reno getting along? Btw, why do you need sensor light at balcony for? wondering any specific reason? maybe can learn some tips from you :)

Kathlynn, have you gotten a contractor ans started your reno work?

Clarins, thanks so much for your contractors contact, but I already got one . didn;t notice this earlier. but thanks for sharing :)

eunicecew, thanks for your feedback. Btw, did u install aircon? You did that before painting or after?

i agree zun zhine, i have to do a lot of planning and research for my wedding at the same time the house reno... and have to move things to the new house, buy many things for the house as the house is empty, everything start from zero. it is not an easy task especially when it near to wedding... cleanning is a tedious task, we normally spend few hours or whole day to clean whenever any work is done like install cooker hook, air cond, lighting, custom made furniture and fan... after the work done the house very dirty require detail cleaning. but it is better get those things done b4 u move things in so when the house is empty it is easier to clean.

im also planning my wedding and reno at the same time. I oni had exactly one year to plan (he proposed end of last year & im getting married beginning nxt year). Hopefully all will run smoothly.

I have gotten a few contractors to look at the place, they are coming back to me with the quote. so after that, we have to shortlist one (and im praying that we will select a good one – given all the horror stories of unrealiable/cheating contractor). Then I have to go and look for tiles, bathroom sets, (thankfully the kitchen hob, hood & oven is purchased).

oh, and im also praying that the application to MPSJ runs smoothly too. gosh. im so stressed! :(

What kinda hiccups had u encountered? mind sharing to all of us so that we can learn frm each other?

ops, haven't notice got so many feedback. Thanks everyone for the tips and pointers :)

house reno still in progress, so many hiccups here and there and still there is. I think its unavoidable ler...sigh...but very very very tiring. I think it is so much tiring than wedding planning. To those who wed and move house sametime, really requires a lot of patience and planning... not an easy thing to do on its own, so 2 things same time, will be even more difficult to handle. But in the end, the result will be all worth it :)

Whitepuma, how is your reno getting along? Btw, why do you need sensor light at balcony for? wondering any specific reason? maybe can learn some tips from you :)

Kathlynn, have you gotten a contractor ans started your reno work?

Clarins, thanks so much for your contractors contact, but I already got one . didn;t notice this earlier. but thanks for sharing :)

eunicecew, thanks for your feedback. Btw, did u install aircon? You did that before painting or after?

gals,

me too im planning my reno and my wedding together....so messy

a friendly reminder ..if u plan to install security alarm please do it together with electrical wiring. it was so trouble some for me as i not aware i should be install the alarm first. after i have done all my electric wiring, plaster ceiling n even painting onli i remember im yet to install the alarm. now all my painted wall have to be hacked to conceal the wiring aiks..

besides, if u plan to engage a designer to design ur house, must get a recommended one and must learn how to see the technical drawing too...wat i mean technical drawing is the draw plan which will be passing to the contractor to start work on installing electrical point, cabinet position, plaster ceiling designs, fan installation height, cooking hub & hood position and bla bla bla

im so unlucky to get engage with a designer which totally mess up my house plan. i have no experience in house reno and also engaging the designer, wat i tot was we onli need to choose the best design we like then the contractor will start work accordingly. when the designer gave us the first draft we had a few comment on it and wanted it to be changed accordingly. she said okok..then later on she gave us the second draft ID drawings with the technical drawing. we were satisfy with the new ID drawings then we pass the technical drawing to the contractor and start working on it.

who knows the nightmare begins...the designer draw the plaster ceiling to be full length down to cover all the horizontal tiang across the roof, she was never consider the fan installation...the fan is be low enuff to chop off my head :sauer2:

and then she was drawing a row of electrical point just right up the cooking hub...OMG! luckily my contracter called me and double confirm me.

there are so much more problems in the drawing which im not aware...we were so headache where we have to follow every single thing with the contracter to make sure no more nonsense drawing ..

so gals..hope these help