Sign in to follow this  
jesseK

Dilemma - baby cot or just mattress on the floor?

Hi gals,

My baby is now 7.5 months old. All this while he has been sleeping with me and my husband on our bed. He rolled a lot when sleeping, sometimes he will rolled until sleep just right beside me :S sometimes he will make some noise and need me to pat him then he will continue to sleep.

But soon he will learn to crawl and we are concerned that if he wake up and crawl at nite without our notice, he will fall down from our bed. Our bed frame is quite high. So now we decided to buy a baby cot but my sis-in-law said better to buy one mattress to put on the floor let him sleep.She said the baby can climb out from baby cot cause her baby try to climb out from play pen before. If i were to buy one mattress to put on the floor let him sleep, i am scare he will crawl or knock the head although i cover the surrounding of the bed using bolster and cot bumper.I think is more dangerous.

Anyone's baby sleeping in baby cot now, the baby can get to climb out from the baby cot?For me i think is not easy for them to climb out rite?since is wood type one, not like play pen. Another concern is tat my baby likes to sleep on his stomach and he quite often place his face facing down the mattress, so i should get him a latex mattress instead?Anyone's baby similar to my baby sleeping position?How do you cope it?

Hope to get the opinion from you gals, thanks a lot...

Hi you can visit stores which sells a variety of baby cots and mattresses so that you can compare products and decide.

I share with you some of my views regarding your concerns:

Height:

Most babycots come with 2 or 3 adjustable height for baby to sleep. When baby is older you can adjust lower so that they cannot climb out. You can buy the bigger sized ones (28 x 58 i think) so that it can later be converted into small bed and can last till baby is 4-5 yrs old.

Knocking himself:

If you cover the bed with cot bumpers, he might knock his head once in awhile but it is still ok, compared to sleeping on mattress on floor and then falling on floor, knocking his head and hands and legs, and also getting a shock from the fall. Although the mattress is thin layer or lower height, he will still be shocked when his head suddenly fall on floor and knock on hard floor.

Mattress:

There are latex mattresses made for babies out there, with breathable holes in the mattress to prevent breathing difficulties in babies.

Also, playpens are not as sturdy compared to babycots, so it is easier for kids to try climbing out...

You can invest in a babycot if in future u decide to have more kids. Babycots are not cheap, you can decide how long you want the baby to sleep inside babycot and then decide whether or not to buy.

But in the end if you still decide to use mattress on the floor it is still ok. Just put some cloth or pillows along the edges so that he will not suddenly roll and fall on floor and hit his head...

Hope my info helps..

Hi gals,

My baby is now 7.5 months old. All this while he has been sleeping with me and my husband on our bed. He rolled a lot when sleeping, sometimes he will rolled until sleep just right beside me :S sometimes he will make some noise and need me to pat him then he will continue to sleep.

But soon he will learn to crawl and we are concerned that if he wake up and crawl at nite without our notice, he will fall down from our bed. Our bed frame is quite high. So now we decided to buy a baby cot but my sis-in-law said better to buy one mattress to put on the floor let him sleep.She said the baby can climb out from baby cot cause her baby try to climb out from play pen before. If i were to buy one mattress to put on the floor let him sleep, i am scare he will crawl or knock the head although i cover the surrounding of the bed using bolster and cot bumper.I think is more dangerous.

Anyone's baby sleeping in baby cot now, the baby can get to climb out from the baby cot?For me i think is not easy for them to climb out rite?since is wood type one, not like play pen. Another concern is tat my baby likes to sleep on his stomach and he quite often place his face facing down the mattress, so i should get him a latex mattress instead?Anyone's baby similar to my baby sleeping position?How do you cope it?

Hope to get the opinion from you gals, thanks a lot...

Hi jcjy2009,

Thank you so much for your reply. Ya, i think i will buy baby cot as i don't agree to let my baby sleep on the mattress on the floor. I think is more dangerous. Just that my in law keep asking me not to buy baby cot :S

Now i will start looking for a suitable baby cot which can let him sleep for few years.. :) Thanks again

Hi jcjy2009,

Thank you so much for your reply. Ya, i think i will buy baby cot as i don't agree to let my baby sleep on the mattress on the floor. I think is more dangerous. Just that my in law keep asking me not to buy baby cot :S

Now i will start looking for a suitable baby cot which can let him sleep for few years.. :) Thanks again

Good decision Jesse. I must confess I am also against babies sleeping on mattresses on floors and I agree it's more dangerous. As for your in laws making noise - just in and out of the ear. They were probably raised by their own parents where they slept on the floor since baby cots were almost unheard of a few decades ago in Malaysia! Humans tend to object against things they are unfamiliar with. :)

As for baby climbing out from cot - as soon as that happens, change to a toddler bed. But your baby is still very young, it won't happen anytime soon for you.

baby cot is the best solution. My bb is still sleeping in bb cot without any problem, he is very tall like 100+cm no problem at all. I adjust the cot to the lowest level.

wah, yvonne.. your baby so tall oredi eh.. 100+cm (paiseh, out of topic)..

and yes, i agree on the points above as well... my bb sleep in his cot~ i'm gona adjust to the lowest level in another 2 months time (now dont know how to stand and climb yet)

Thanks all for the reply :D

At first my husband would follow his sister advise but I had explained to him that the baby cot is much safer than the mattress on floor.Now he agreed on buying a baby cot as well :D So, i will start looking for a baby cot soon...hehehe...

ya, i m not agree to let baby sleep on the mattress on the floor too..my ILs have the same thinking of ur ILs... i just ''left ear in , right ear out''..haha..

i hv changed my baby cot to toddler bed after his first birthday. ya, must buy those bigger and deeper one. at least 28'x52'.. i bought mine one abt rm900+, whole set which c/w cot, latex mattress, 4pcs crib set (bumper, bed sheet, pillowcase & comforter), latex pillow, and the bedrail (hv to use it when chg to toddler bed).

here it is for ur reference

http://www.mybbstore.com/webshaper/store/v...roductItem=1661

My bb know how to stand a bit by holding the side of his playpen.. so dangerous! He did it last night, my hubby quickly call me to see.. gosh.. i need to keep my playpen in storeroom now. or use it as diaper changing only.

Hey yvonne118,

Your baby already know how to stand by holding the side of the playpen? But i think he might not able to climb out rite? How about his baby cot? I am bringing my baby to go look for baby cot this weekend, let him try and see then only will buy :)

i'd vote for baby cot. reason simply becoz it is safe for the baby esp during the roll over, crawling, cruising stage where u dont wanna be waking up finding your child chewing on a electric socket!!! enuf said.

one important point when choosing a baby cot is to find one wif 4-levels (i thk) where the highest level of the cot's mattress reaches above your waist (serves like a diaper changing table too), so that when your newborn needs 20+ diaper changes everyday for the first 1-2mths, u wont hv to bend too much, so often that your back will feel like breaking. ask the sales assistant to raise the level to its highest and see if it's comfortable when u're trying to change a diaper.

cheers.

jessek,

no pro with bb cot.. only playpen. cause cant adjust lower. friends told me can adjust till bottom, but i doubt of the material of it. unlike bb cot more solid