SadBride

Guo Da Li trouble!! Hokkien bride!

I've been looking through the internet doing research about the Gift exchange (Guo Da Li & Return Gift). I'm still very confused in what to buy! I'm a Hokkien bride-to-be. I would be great if someone can advise on what to buy? :dash2:

For Guo Da Li: Who must attend and who will be buying the stuff? Ping Jin who prepare? Jewellery is it MIL will bring me go buy?

I've got all the dates for Guo Da Li, Bed placement and Actual day date & time. Other then my FH and me planning here and there, my MIL & FIL is not helping a hand nor ask anything about our planning. I'm tired!!

:sad::sad::sad:

there's tis shop in near petaling street u can get all guadailai stuff n any other info abt chinese custom there

i don hav d name now.

u can email me to remind me to check (butterfleur23@hotmail.com)

I also clueless initially but we started asking everybody around and turns out that, different family got different ways of doing things.

My hubby prepare pin kam, invitation card for my family and a red paper that has all the relevant dates like bed fixing etc etc on a red plate.

then using 8 super huge red basin, he put in our biscuit, some dried sea food like abalone, longan, laichee, mushroom, dried scallop and the usual ones, 8 apples and 8 oranges , candles and joss sticks for AD, all 2 packets and i were to take one packet and return one packet.

2 bottles of brandy, we return with 2 bottles of orange juice.

And roast pig.. cuz mum said too troublesome to handle on AD..

No offence but seriously, don't bother with the people from Chinese Wedding Supplies shop. They will tell u different story everytime u go and they would mix up everything and ask u to do everything so that u will buy the necessary stuff from them. Like the one i went to actually ask my mum to buy a pair of pants for hubby but this is actually guangdong custom.

me n my fiance family also hokkien and i too try to google hokkien's tradition and cant find any helpful hints as everyone is different and some do the scale down version. i'm also very confuse but i like what yivoon listed and it sounds right.

I've been looking through the internet doing research about the Gift exchange (Guo Da Li & Return Gift). I'm still very confused in what to buy! I'm a Hokkien bride-to-be. I would be great if someone can advise on what to buy? :dash2:

For Guo Da Li: Who must attend and who will be buying the stuff? Ping Jin who prepare? Jewellery is it MIL will bring me go buy?

I've got all the dates for Guo Da Li, Bed placement and Actual day date & time. Other then my FH and me planning here and there, my MIL & FIL is not helping a hand nor ask anything about our planning. I'm tired!!

me & partner is both hokkien.ours one is nto complicated coz we stickedto the most basic things for hokkien. i got all info stuff for got guo tai lai and groom return stuff.

hey, sure why not. i am going to scan it and send over by tmr..leave your personal email at my email. Thanks

Fyi, that list included all dialects..but my sifu only highlighted for both hokkien for me only. So i can only share what ever i know.

Dear all,

PM to you all already..check it out !!!

Your are welcome !!

Hey to all, if i don't reply your email. you can always for the anyone from here, coz i did forward to all of them...thanks ;)

You are welcome...oh gald i can help...hehe ( feeling so satisfy)

Hi Nie Nie,

May I noe too? pulutwah@yahoo.com

Thx a lot

To wvmw & SLHWWD,

PM to you guys.

Nienie,

Did you buy the 4 types of biscuits required for hokkien gdl? My parents want the sesame biscuit, rice biscuit, tau sar piah and heong piah. My FH is not hokkien so he doesn't know where to get leh. We went to several wedding biscuits bakery but they don't do those type, only the usual red and yellow teochew biscuit. Pls help anyone else who knows or can recommend to get (preferably within Klang Valley). Thanks!

Hey babyeclipse,

haiz..guy is like that..me got no choice coz hubby at oversea due to the working contract and he cant come back to make the bookign and so on , so i got to help him to sort out.

Hmm... from my understanding. Yeah if follow typical hokkien needed those 4 types of biscuits. But for my parents we are very simple & only asked for wedding biscuit only.

Yes, its true that the bakery not customs bake for those 4 type of biscuit anymore but can easily can get off from the rack. Except for Wedding biscuit can book from Tong Kee http://www.wikistreetfood.com/index.php?title=Franchise:Tong_Kee_Brothers_Confectionery_(棠记兄弟饼家), or Fong Wong at petaling street at the same time i guess the Tau Sa Peng can get from the same bakery too.

If your parents insist, for rice biscuit and heong peng try Petaling street, but may slightly expensive. I guess you can get from those bakery or souvenir shop. If not, try to go some big pasar malam or pasar also u may find surprise there , the cake or the bread stall normally do sell Heong peng too. i used to buy heong peng from pasar malam or pasar too. Thas y i know. But one thing i worry is about rice biscuit coz cant really find tasty one here , so try to get help and ask from the stall aunty . Where can get or they may help u to book for you or something. Another alternative try to go those major Dried meat ( BBQ meat) shops, they may selling something similar.

Hope this is helpful.

Can i have the info as well?can you send to foreverolive@hotmail.com?

Thanks a lot.

Nienie,

Thanks for the info. We went to Fong Wong and as you've mentioned, they don't pack those 4 types of biscuits for marriage. We did request if we could buy those 4 individually then get them to help us pack instead of giving in bulk (they charged extra for the ka lui ping box). In the end, settled for bee's bakery. They cater specifically a box packed with those 4 biscuits (very lucky for us!). So for any of u out there whose parents still wanna have the biscuits, try bee's bakery in klang. They can help to deliver to any other outlets near you. Taste-wise, i prefer those made in melaka (can't remember name of the place, but those biscuits can't last long, only 3-4 days), but the ones made by bee's have longer expiry dates. Just sharing the info.

Cheerios!