Sign in to follow this  
sumsum2202

Baby sleeping in Air-Con Room

Hi,

My baby boy 4 weeks old and i put him in an air con room with tempeture 28 celcius. Am i okay to put him in the air con room?

My MIL keeps on argue that do not put my baby in the air con room (coz herself doesn't like air con room) and claim that my baby prefer sleeping in hot tempeture. I do not listen to her and continue to put my baby in air con because i believe higher tempeture is okay for my baby. furthermore, my baby easily get sweat. If i put him at the living hall with sarung / bouncer / bed, sure his hair wet. His face also turn red.

last nite, MIL went into my baby's room and switch off the air con. this morning, CL told me my baby's face got lots of small dots caused by heaty. I was so angry but i can't scold my MIL. I told my MIL nicely that he is so hot till get the small dots. she anwered me that take shower will do.

Can anyone here advise me whether should i put my baby in air con room or just fan will do? what about your baby?

Thanks.

I'm not sure, but c my MIL put my BIL's kids in Air Con room (abt 20-23 celcius) from their BB time.

FYI, my IL turn on the air con for whole day & she look after the kids form 6.30 am to 6.30 pm.

my baby sleeps in aircon room, 25C cos the room is pretty big. He is so far ok with it. Like your baby, he too sweats easily and i think sleeping in aircon is no harm. Even the paed said 25 or 26C is ok for baby.

The rashes on the face is not necessarily due to heaty, newborns tend to get that.. and it will go away wit time

My baby sleep in aircond room with 22-23C (my room is quite big) AND with fan... but the aircond doesn't blow straight to her, the fan is right on top of her... and one thing I found out she sleep very well like this. And when the aircond is off (with timer), after 30 minutes she'll start fussing unless u go carry her. Weekend I on my aircond longer since we wake up late, she never fuss...

even in babysitter place, they also on aircond for her while taking nap since weather these days are too hot... so far she sleeps well.

So we think she loves to sleep in aircond room :)

My baby needs aircon too. I think there is no fast rule around this kinda stuff. No one rule for all babies in the world and also depends on the weather. My baby sweats awhole lot too. Even in an aircon room, when i take his temperature and compare it with me and my hubby, his is always the highest. We started using aircon for him even when he was newborn. But of course we got to use some sense, like make sure the fan and aircon is off when bathing or changing him. When newborn, cover his feet and hands. I usually touch his body or nap of his neck to make sure he is not too hot or cold.

I agree about the rashes. It need not be caused by heat. Some may tell you it's caused by milk, because mummy never clean his mouth. :dry: My baby has rashes since newborn. And he eventually grew out of it by end of second month. Now sometimes he gets it again when he sweats too much. He has just turned 4 months old and during the day when the weather is too hot, i dont use the aircon but allow him to sleep topless. :wink: I feel sometimes too much aircon can dry out my baby skin.

Well my baby sleeps in aircond too and sometimes with fan but when I'm in Melb coz middle of the nite it'll be cooler so when I wake up to feed I'll turn the aircon off and just leave the fan. Now here in KL my baby sleeps in my parent's room coz they wanna tae care of her and the aircond temp is 24 degrees which is ok coz we have her hands and feet covered at all times.

With the rashers, my baby also had it around 1.5 months. MIL says it's heaty then ask to use rice water and coriander water to wash her face but I didn't do that. I took her to the GP and GP said it's normal as majority babies will have this. It's just mild dermatitis so she gave me a cream then everything cleared after I applied it twice or so.

my girl sleep in air-cond room since newborn. MIL disgreed with this at the first place coz afraid she will get cold. so i let bb wear 2 shirts, short sleeve inside and long sleeve outside, cover her hand and feet as well. so MIL don make noise again. the temperature is maintained at 25c-26c.

my girl's face full of rashes when she was 1 mth old. i not sure it's caused by heaty or milk. i applied calamine lotion on rashes and it's recovered after one week. the rashes appear again on my girl's face these two days. so i assume it's caused by milk. so i hv to change her mittens after feeding.

Baby Acne (Hormonal Rash)

- Baby acne starts around the cheek area around the 3rd week after birth

- This is due to the withdrawal of maternal hormones

- It may spread over baby's face and when baby is hot, the rash will appear particularly red

- Baby acne will disappear around the 6-8th week and usually no treatment is necessary

- Remember to clean baby's face 2-3 times daily with cool boiled water and always keep baby clean and cool

Abstract from "Asian Parenting Today" book.

This is a very useful and resourceful book. Sumsum2202, get hold of this book. Last time whenever my MIL says something which I do not agree, I will refer to this book, show it to my hubby and let him explain to his mum. If you don't have time to check out the bookstore, you can purchase it online.

My BB girl sleeps in aircond room too from day one. 26c-28c with fan switch on. She sleeps with short sleeve and long pants (no mitten and booties from day 1). If I see that we can sleep without a blanket, I don't cover her as well. From the book I read, it says try not to overheat the bb. We should dress our bb same as how we dress. If we are dress in short sleeve and shorts only, bb can be dress that way too. I have also ask the paed, bb afraid of cold or hot. His answer, bb is more afraid of hot. Aircond 25c - 26c is fine. Maybe you can tell your MIL, hospital nursery room also switch on the aircond.

My bb girl has little small dots as well when younger. I notice that if I switch on the air cond, it is not so obvious and red. So, I start switching on the air cond in the afternoon as well. I think her little dots disappear when she is 2 months plus.

Well my baby sleeps in aircond too and sometimes with fan but when I'm in Melb coz middle of the nite it'll be cooler so when I wake up to feed I'll turn the aircon off and just leave the fan. Now here in KL my baby sleeps in my parent's room coz they wanna tae care of her and the aircond temp is 24 degrees which is ok coz we have her hands and feet covered at all times.

With the rashers, my baby also had it around 1.5 months. MIL says it's heaty then ask to use rice water and coriander water to wash her face but I didn't do that. I took her to the GP and GP said it's normal as majority babies will have this. It's just mild dermatitis so she gave me a cream then everything cleared after I applied it twice or so.

LOL diana! my parents are the same when i am back in JB... they get so excited wit their grandchild

Hi Diana,

My baby has lots of flesh colored bumps on his temple.

Is that the same symptom as ur baby?

He had baby acne from age 3 weeks, but that cleared up after a while.

Then he started getting heat rash on his chest & sides of tummy when he turned a month old, but that cleared up too after I put him in an air con room.

Recently, he has fungus in his neck folds, but improved a lot since I started swiping a bit of powder in that area.

He has eczema in his chin but that cleared up after I applied some breastmilk on it.

My baby's got so many skin problems & they all manifest as red dots & bumps....I'm really confused how to classify them. :wacko3:

Hi Diana,

My baby has lots of flesh colored bumps on his temple.

Is that the same symptom as ur baby?

He had baby acne from age 3 weeks, but that cleared up after a while.

Then he started getting heat rash on his chest & sides of tummy when he turned a month old, but that cleared up too after I put him in an air con room.

Recently, he has fungus in his neck folds, but improved a lot since I started swiping a bit of powder in that area.

He has eczema in his chin but that cleared up after I applied some breastmilk on it.

My baby's got so many skin problems & they all manifest as red dots & bumps....I'm really confused how to classify them. :wacko3:

Marlene, your back after so long.

My baby too had almost same skin issues like u mentioned.. one thing i learnt in 3 months of motherhood is not to get panic in these situations.. these skin problems seem to come and disappear just like that.. dont worry too much... i used corn starch powder on the face rashes.. it actually helped

now as i have stopped putting mittens for my baby, he always scratches himself and leave small red marks.. but they also go away very fast on its own...

qarezma,

I'm sure most grandparents are like that lol.. My daughter know how to suck up to my dad...the other nite I came home from gym and my mom was complaining to me about her in front of her and then she just looked at my mom angrily (my dad was carrying her then) Then she started changing expressions and wanted to cry already lol...then my dad pat her on the back then she's ok ahhaha...

Marlene,

Yeah she had that too so I just applied the cream that doc prescribed and it went away. Until now when she has some rashes around her chin (due to her salivating) I'll apply it after every bath and then it'll go away. She gets like 1 or 2 pimples sometimes too lol.. same thing I apply the cream it goes away.

u r really disciplined in going to gym diana... wish i was that way too :wacko3:

im just hoping that i can lose weight with baby & hse works.. lets see..

qarezma,

LOL.. I'm only there for hot yoga and pilates hehehe I'm sure u'll be able to lose weight with both baby and housework. I'm going back to hell soon haha so I might as well enjoy as much now!

Hi qarezma,

Yup, I took a 3-month break from work and just resumed working last Monday.

How are u and ur baby?

My bb loves poking his fingers into his eyes and he rubs his face like a cat does when he's just woken up. Have to take precautions on those sharp nails, huh?

Do you just rub corn starch ( as it is ) onto baby's face? I mean, no need to make into a paste or anything?

My BB girl sleeps in aircond room too from day one. 26c-28c with fan switch on. She sleeps with short sleeve and long pants (no mitten and booties from day 1). If I see that we can sleep without a blanket, I don't cover her as well. From the book I read, it says try not to overheat the bb. We should dress our bb same as how we dress. If we are dress in short sleeve and shorts only, bb can be dress that way too. I have also ask the paed, bb afraid of cold or hot. His answer, bb is more afraid of hot. Aircond 25c - 26c is fine. Maybe you can tell your MIL, hospital nursery room also switch on the aircond.

My bb girl has little small dots as well when younger. I notice that if I switch on the air cond, it is not so obvious and red. So, I start switching on the air cond in the afternoon as well. I think her little dots disappear when she is 2 months plus.

I want to share what I read on the statement made in bold.

There is a reason as to why we shouldn't overbundle babies younger than 6 months and why young babies are light sleepers. Sorry to all mummies out there but there is a very good reason as to why it's so hard for your baby to stay asleep for long periods. The respiratory system in young babies is still underdevelop and when they become too warm, they slip into deep sleep and sometimes, they can stop breathing. If they are in light sleep, their brain can still wake them up to continue breathing BUT if they are in deep, their brains can overlook this and as a result, your baby can die. This is what is known as SIDS. It occurs often when the weather is warm and with babies who are overbundled.

Overbundling here refers to things like swaddling, covering your baby with a comforter and so forth. I have seen parents go to shopping malls dressed in shorts, T-shirt and slippers but cover their babies with mittens, booties, a long sleeved sleeper and a hat. IMHO, that is super overkill and very dangerous! Like quiana mentioned, dress your baby the same as how you would dress.

Young babies are fine with regulating their body temperature; if they weren't, they would never be allowed to leave the hospital in the first place!

Mabel,

Good information to know! I didn't know that about babies being light sleepers were due to that lol.. I thought my baby's like me coz I'm a light sleeper myself hehehe. Anyway talking about parents bringing babies to shopping. There was this lady who brought her baby out (I think her baby's probably about a week or 2 old) to the Pureen warehouse sale, she put her baby into the shopping basket and let him/her sleep in there!!!! I was shocked!!! Imagine seeing a woman carrying a shopping basket and in there is her tiny lil baby!!!

As for as I know adjust the aircond's temperature to 25c-26c should be alright, right? =P

Diana,

ha!? O.o and the little one just 1/2 weeks old!? alamak!!!

The mother do desperate about the Pureen warehouse sales ah!? @@

BG,

I'm not sure if the baby's 1/2 weeks old or not la but he/she is really tiny.. just imagine can fit into those shopping basket!!

BG,

I'm not sure if the baby's 1/2 weeks old or not la but he/she is really tiny.. just imagine can fit into those shopping basket!!

OMG that basket was like really really small!

Yeah I think the baby is NB lor.. If it was me I wouldn't have brought my baby... so hot summore

gess .. @@ Just don't understand ah .. gesss ..

Yeah I think the baby is NB lor.. If it was me I wouldn't have brought my baby... so hot summore

By the way, if put the baby sleeps inside the aircond room, what's the best way to dress them? long sleeves and pants + light blanket?

For aircon, I usually put on low fan speed to help circulate the air and 27°C is the lowest I'll go. If without fan, I'll put the temp at 26°C. Dress wise, just a onesie or those romper with short-like bottoms with a nappy (she'll usually kick it off). I hardly dress Eva in long sleeve and pants coz she used to get heat rash very easily then. So I prefer her to be cooler than hot. :x