Sign in to follow this  
Winds

Anybody understands the new ROM law??

I've read in the newspaper that there is a new regulation to register for marriages whereby couples who register at temples/associations etc need to get back to the NRD to officially solemnise the matrimony.

This new rule is effective beginning April 1st. Is this true? I had my marriage registered at an association on 2nd May, so does this mean I have to go back to the NRD again?

Hi Yahiko,

From what I understand, the new procedure is like this:

Couples get application form from NRD -> submit form and register at temple/association with witness -> go to NRD again together with witness to officially get the registration done

Need clarification on this flow, because the previous flow is like this:

Couples get application form from NRD -> submit form and register at temple/association with witness

huh? then why dont we just go do the process at the NRD from the start..

btw, i heard this is just a proposal..

I just made a call to Brickfields, Maha vihara temple where I will be registering at end of this month.

Since I have already submitted the application, they will still proceed the old way, the only difference is they will help get my document endorsed at the JPN.

If its a new application where the submission has not been done, you will have to go to JPN and submit your form, get it approved and endorsed before going to register at the temple.

Sounds like a bit tedious for me, it will just encourage couples to do it at JPN than associations and temples.

The temple will also update me should there be any changes.

I just made a call to Brickfields, Maha vihara temple where I will be registering at end of this month.

Since I have already submitted the application, they will still proceed the old way, the only difference is they will help get my document endorsed at the JPN.

If its a new application where the submission has not been done, you will have to go to JPN and submit your form, get it approved and endorsed before going to register at the temple.

Sounds like a bit tedious for me, it will just encourage couples to do it at JPN than associations and temples.

The temple will also update me should there be any changes.

My understanding is, the couple must collect the form from JPN themselves, fill in form, get it approved & endorsed by JPN, then put on notice for 21 days. After 21 days, the couple can collect the form & send to the association / temples to proceed with the registration.

I read this new so at first i straightaway went to JPN to take form. but the officials of JPN told me if i want to register in temple or association, i need to get the form from them.

then the PIC of the temple told me the procedure is :1. get the form from temple, fill up and submit to JPN( both parties need to attend), then JPN can approve within one day. once u got the approval, just send back the form to the temple and then you can register anytime already.

try not to believe on press or rumours. better check with JPN and PIC. I think this is considered the latest news as i have checked with both JPN and PIC in temple for verification just last week. (May)

this is so confusing. we were planning to go to thean hou kong to register. now with this proposal, might as well just get registered with jpn, no need to travel up n down temple and jpn office.

btw, if collecting form from jpn (not submitting form), must both party be there in person? or can either the bride-to-be or groom-to-be attend?

this is so confusing. we were planning to go to thean hou kong to register. now with this proposal, might as well just get registered with jpn, no need to travel up n down temple and jpn office.

btw, if collecting form from jpn (not submitting form), must both party be there in person? or can either the bride-to-be or groom-to-be attend?

Hi babyeclipse,

My friend told me that if only the BTB or GTB wants to go get the form, then you need to bring photostated IC of the other person. For me, I just played safe by going together.

However, I read from The Star on 11 or 12th May that now couples can even download the form.

Everything is very confusing now. There is no clear written procedure for this... making couples run here and there.

I read this new so at first i straightaway went to JPN to take form. but the officials of JPN told me if i want to register in temple or association, i need to get the form from them.

then the PIC of the temple told me the procedure is :1. get the form from temple, fill up and submit to JPN( both parties need to attend), then JPN can approve within one day. once u got the approval, just send back the form to the temple and then you can register anytime already.

try not to believe on press or rumours. better check with JPN and PIC. I think this is considered the latest news as i have checked with both JPN and PIC in temple for verification just last week. (May)

I read from Sin Chew Daily that now JPN doesnt allow other ppl (apart from the couples) to collect forms anymore (particularly the associations/temples), and need to be put on notice for 21 days... what the press released & the info you gathered from JPN is so different... headache... my concern is, sometimes not all the officers know the new regulations very well too... hopefully they are giving out the correct info, cos what they told you is much much simpler...

i just submitted my form today, just like Winds say, to be play safe, just go together, everything just done within half an hour, and the process is just --- go to the counter> fill forms> take number> the officer will let you to choose a date> when down to commissioner of oaths, after they sign> submit back to the same officer> documents been printed out> done

i have ask them if we want to register in thean hou temple, during the submission of the forms, you have to inform them and they will endorse the document and you have to submit to the thean hou temple, same question has been ask to thean hou temple last week (i called them), their reply is the same, and once obtain approval then you can submit the documents to thean hou temple and they will only charged RM80.00 (not sure what this charges included, but think may be misc charges). At last me and my bf decided to register at JPN Putrajaya, cos we both found that the environment is not bad.

if you have any further enquiry, you can try to email them at pro@jpn.gov.my , i had got my reply within 2 days time.

Hi cathy82,

You are right...not all the officers know the regulations. Like for my case, I went to the nearest JPN to get the form. Then the officer told me he can only give us the form but cannot chop for us. So, we had to go all the way to the main offfice. But the officer from the main office told us, actually we can get the chop from any branch. :sauer2: