Sign in to follow this  
SaNDy Sibu

PROPER WAY TO USE THE MEDICAL CARD IN CASE OF EMERGENCY!!!

When in EMERGENCY CASES - DONT USE THE MEDICAL CARD.... IMPORTANT !!

PROPER WAY TO USE THE MEDICAL CARD IN CASE OF EMERGENCY!!!

In cases of Emergency, a matter of LIFE & DEATH (eg Heart-attack, Strokes, Accidents)

NEVER.... NEVER.. NEVER use a medical card!! Why?....

1. In the emergency room, you will be asked to register and make a 'Deposit' BEFORE the patient is TREATED!

2. When you show the medical card, the doctor MUST complete the claim form and fax to the insurance company BEFORE they can treat the patient. The hospital MUST wait until the insurance company Confirms coverage & limit of policy.

3. ALL these procedures may take 1-2 HOURS!! By this time the patient may have lapsed into a coma !!

4. Use your credit card or Cash FIRST. AFTER the patient has been treated & attended by the doctor, then show the admission counter nurse the medical card. She will then liaise with the insurance company directly for the approvals. She will tear the earlier credit card deposit once the insurance company has approved.

5. By now the patient would have been wheeled into the room to rest or to the surgery room for immediate surgery.

Sincerely we pray no one has to go through such an ordeal.

Share this info ! with your loved ones, your colleague & friends.

my innocent assumption was in case of emergency the hosp would proceed to treat the patient while waiting for approval, its not true?

What Sandy said is true. In our agency, a agent's wife is work in a well-known private hospital as nurse. The management has give order to staffs, if the patient is in serious accident condition, they reluctant to accept this case and will direct send to government hospital. If is related with criminal case, lagi tak mahu accept.

If is related with illness, I myself also go thru the process. I have admitted into Sunway hospital, that time I was seriously ill, fever high due to tonsilitis. The doctor treat me eventhough Guaranteed Letter not yet approved. Two weeks later, I was admitted again due to vertigo, the doctor treat me too while waiting for Guarenteed Letter to approved.

However, I know some hospitals, they will not treat you until Guaranteed Letter is approved. This happen to my few clients.

Based on my past experience with SJMC, the doc will treat the patient 1st (immediate if it's critical w/o asking for credit card or so and if require admission, then the nurses will proceed with the process BUT the patient will stay at the E&A till the guarantee letter received. Usually I will just give them my credit card so that they can get me a room fast pending the approval from the insurance co.

I remembered years ago, I underwent an appendic surgery and there was a gal right b4 me also suffered the same and we shared the same room too. I was told that the doc was kind enough to operate her and admitted her even though she cant pay the deposits on the spot (it was midnight and her boyfriend didnt have a credit card with him). Her family came over the next day to pay the deposits.