Sign in to follow this  
The Outbacker

Engagement: Are rings needed for engagements?

It's not really a prerequisite to have an engagement ring to announce that you are engaged. Some people throw engagement parties or in Chinese culture the Guo da li is sort of like a symbol of an engagement.

Typically engagement rings are not the same to be used as wedding rings lah. But don't let me stop you from using your engagement ring as a wedding ring.

engagement ring and wedding band is different.

i'm wearing my engagement ring now and we are in the midst of looking for our wedding band

I don't have an engagement (nor an engagement ring) before my wedding.

We skipped this process as we feel it is a waste of $ =)

Think of engagement rings as a financial investment, not a waste of money. 10 years from now, the value of diamonds continue to appreciate, rather than depreciate in value.

Fresh flowers on the other hand, is a waste of money.

For me, I'm not into diamond thing as what I meant by waste of $ is the $ that you spent on the process including the ring.

Guess I'm not so into the 'proper ring procedure' I don't know diamond ring meant for engagement nor wedding, for me the ring is a symbol and it can costs up to millions or billions if you can afford, otherwise a simple ring with few hundreds will do too. What most important is the lift after all the process (either engagement or wedding) that's more important for me =)

If budget allows, why not go through all the so call 'proper' process and get the best ring for your love one? but if budget constraints, I really do feel it is a waste of $ to go through it =) We can afford a diamond ring but I told HB, what I want is the life after (a good life) but is nothing like a diamond ring or whatever, well .. it is just me I know =) but still most women will want to have a nice diamond ring on their finger, so it is not wrong for them to have one =)

It's really up to individuals to choose whether to have an engagement/proposal ring first followed by a wedding band, or only a wedding band will do.

I don't see any right or wrong with either one choice :happy:

Hi,

i dun hv any diamond rings for engagement, jz a stainless steel ring then bought a new pair of rings for wedding

anyway,i duno d real procedure but d usual thg i saw couples do is there's a diamond ring (usually solitaire diamond ring) which d guy use to propose to d girl n dats the engagement ring. after that, during ROM there's a new pair of wedding rings a.k.a. wedding bands

so it depends on u whether u wana use ur engagement rings as ur wedding rings taking into consideration ur own budget n preference. if ur budget allows, u can go with different rings for engagement n wedding :)

Personally, I like a diamond ring for engagement ( self satisfaction if budget can afford ) and a pair of simple wedding rings without diamonds for everyday wear. I think normal everyday wear no diamonds seems more convenient.

However, ofc la ... its not a requirement. Just a girl's fancy to own a diamond ring. During special occasion can wear wear like go dinner etc. Hehehe ... if dun have oso nvr mind la. Most important hubby love me mah~~~

However, ofc la ... its not a requirement. Just a girl's fancy to own a diamond ring. During special occasion can wear wear like go dinner etc. Hehehe ... if dun have oso nvr mind la. Most important hubby love me mah~~~

Gee...why it seems like most MB brides in here are so 'chin chai'. No engagement ring also can, no proper proposal also can.

How can this be lah ladies? Why settle for less-than-romantic men? Is chivalry sort of dead or too many MB brides are marrying men with Chinaman mentality? It doesn't have to be a million dollar ring, just a simple ring worth a few hundred bucks could do.

An engagement ring is like a special wedding gift to the wife to be, just like during the tea ceremony when the mother of the groom gives her new daughter in law jewelry.

sooklin,

It is not 'chin chai' it is just based on individual needs and requirements. For me I don't see the purpose of engagement nor to engagement ring but it doesn't mean I'm 'chin chai' to marry a man who less-than-romantic man? no no .. I married a man who can give me happiness not just the ring (alto just few hundreds) a man who can really taken care of me, share my burden, workload, etc.

My husband doesn't have your so call chinaman mentality but I'm the one who told him just forget about diamond ring, I'm not fancy about it, we save the $$ for our house better.

If you wanna regard engagement ring like a special wedding gift to a wife, then my special gift from him is a house, and I think that house worst more than a diamond ring, isn't it?

It is just me, I'm not fancy on what people gave me, either cheap gift, expensive gift and the most important is they attended our wedding and that is the MOST EXPENSIVE gift we got from them. I didn't receive anything from my in-laws, first MIL was passed away few years back, I got nothing from her and I'm alright =), father-in-law was not in good health condition but he still came for the tea ceremony and gave us a small angpow as blessing and we are so happy that he can attend the tea-ceremony alto not the dinner. So if I wanna demand, there are so many things I need to demand and not happy about it. But why? But don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean I'm not a demanding woman, I'm but it depends on the things and situation, things that I don't think is necessary I wouldn't demand for it.

So .. it is not 'chin chai' it is based on a person's mentality, how she sees the things, it is necessary? it is what she wants? if that's not what she wants, is that calls 'chin chai'??

Well said.

At the end of the day, it's all depends on individual wants.

Mind you, both houses & diamonds are wants, not need because a house is also liability until the end of the mortgage. And many couple tend to buy bigger house for this & that reason.

To some lucky people who get both house(s) and diamonds and more... enjoy your marriage! (",) Believe me, it's a good start.

To those who are not into material items, there's no need to be in defensive mode. I'm sure you too are enjoying your marriage with or without the engagement ring!

That's right. For me, its the quality of after married that I am more concerned about. No point making urself broke and burst your budget before the wedding coz after the wedding, whatever your spouse save is spent for your own newly formed family. If you think that few hundred is better spent on some other things to improve the quality of your wedded life, why not?

However, I still believe that a symbolic gesture is still something that all girls look forward to. So, I still would love to get a wedding proposal from my would be hubby. Hehehehe ... show his sincerity mah ... diamond or not is another story. But the way he proposed to me would be something to remember by ~ But he can always propose with flowers or other things ... not necessarily must be diamond ring la ... But public proposal would really be a + +. Hahahaha .... whistful thinking, eh ?

how can this be classified as cincai... i dont think a proper procedure will lead to a PROMISED happily ever after.....

No one can promised anything, not even a good husband you married today may be the one and only husband you'll ever have... isn't it clear that the idea of proposal/engagement ring is just a matter of perception, if one do not have/ need one, doesn't mean others can't have it. Some may think they couldn't care-less of it because they believe saving the money is more important for other purpose, while some may think it's only once in a lifetime so no harm spending a few grand on such matter... the opportunity cost is what you're willing to let go.

For those who want it, just do it!

I'm sure most of you girls married the man you love and you all lead happy lives but I still think a proper proposal is just so standard in our culture.

I didn't say that a proper proposal would predict the happiness of anyone's future marriage but then again, nothing is certain regarding the future happiness of a marriage. Even saving money for an expensive house or car as a gift can't predict the happiness or lasting of a future marriage.

While a proper proposal doesn't predict the happiness of your future marriage etc. but a proper proposal is a symbolic gesture where your future hubby takes time to plan and initiate this special surprise with others just especially FOR YOU, gain approval from everyone you know regarding your marriage, and become humble enough to get down on bended knee, going through great lengths to plan something special for you. It's not so much the ring itself that it's important, but the meaning behind the proposal ring carries with it so much meaning. The proposal itself is like a vivid and wonderful memory

I'm not trying to convert anyone here to demand their hubbies for a ring or anything, but you know......there are some things in life that are worth doing, aka a proper proposal (with a nice touch of a ring of course!).

Hi,

The engagement ring and wedding ring is totally not the same ring...This 2 types of ring have their own meaning actually...But everyone have their own thinking about this two types of rings..>_<