Sign in to follow this  
starzband

Can I carry my EBM on flight?

Just wondering, are we allowed to hand carry our espressed breast milk in airplanes? Or we need to check-in the luggage with breastmilk? I wil be travelling by airasia soon...

For airasia - you can but I think reasonable amount/bottles. They allowed me to carry a cooler bag on board without asking any question. Just asked - 'baby food'? then I said yes. That's it. Not too sure if you are going to bring whole stack of EBM onboard though, but it's definitely ok to check them in and the best way to check in milk is to make them frozen first, if you have a choice, else I think should still be fine.

The matter is, I am NOT travelling with my baby... :unsure: If the security refuse to let me through, then how ah? Can't throw away all my frozen milk in madela bottles mah... rugi loh!

The matter is, I am NOT travelling with my baby... :unsure: If the security refuse to let me through, then how ah? Can't throw away all my frozen milk in madela bottles mah... rugi loh!

Please refer to the thread that I quoted in my earlier post. I did not travel with my babies either

I didn't travel with my bb either. :-) Sometimes it depends on the ground security staff, really..

Please refer to the thread that I quoted in my earlier post. I did not travel with my babies either

I hand carry the EBM and I travel without my baby also. I got a bad experience where I check in half of the EBM and it's all started to melts (some 50% melted) by the time i got home. It's on 1 of the domestic flight that i take. But those I hand carry is still in frozen state. Since then I always hand carry it. No more check in.

I checked in about 15bottles/bags of frozen+chilled milk in a cooler bag, with 3 ice pack + 1 techni ice sheet in it. It was perfectly fine (ie: still harf and frozen for those frozen ones) when I got back home from Spore.. that was also included a 3-hours delay for that flight. So I think ice pack does help on this.

I hand carry the EBM and I travel without my baby also. I got a bad experience where I check in half of the EBM and it's all started to melts (some 50% melted) by the time i got home. It's on 1 of the domestic flight that i take. But those I hand carry is still in frozen state. Since then I always hand carry it. No more check in.

I checked in about 15bottles/bags of frozen+chilled milk in a cooler bag, with 3 ice pack + 1 techni ice sheet in it. It was perfectly fine (ie: still harf and frozen for those frozen ones) when I got back home from Spore.. that was also included a 3-hours delay for that flight. So I think ice pack does help on this.

I check in less bottle but use more or less the same amount of techni ice sheet + ice pack like you. probably am not in luck as it's a very hot & sunny day. I actually saw my luggage under the hot sunny sun. it's about 2.5 hours flight and not to mentioned there's some delayed also.

Ohh.. then I consider myself lucky then. I was so worried I would end up wasting all my effort if the milk turned out to be spoilt.. but yah.. thanks god, the milk was fine.. and even still hard like a rock. :-)

I check in less bottle but use more or less the same amount of techni ice sheet + ice pack like you. probably am not in luck as it's a very hot & sunny day. I actually saw my luggage under the hot sunny sun. it's about 2.5 hours flight and not to mentioned there's some delayed also.

I checked in my ebm for the LA - KL flight. All in, it was about 20 hours. All ebm (~350oz) were still frozen when I reached home.

I travelled to Langkawi last month without baby via FireFly and have no problem with all 30ozs of EBM in coleman. Flight delayed for 5 hours but my handcarry EBM were still frozen when I reached Subang Airport

Sorry sorry =P side track a bit ya.

Talking about the cooler bag, any good recommendation which one is better?

My first trip after birth is next year January to KL without baby, and I will spend 3D2N in KL, I don't want to waste my supply (assuming I have a lot =p) while I'm there, so which type of cooler bag I should get for the storage? and also store in bottle or plastic bag?

Ling I think it would be better for you to get a cooler box instead. Cooler bag will not be able to accommodate all your ebm (assuming you have a lot). If you don't want to get expensive ones like coleman, then get those white polystyrene type is good enough. Put blocks of dried ice in, and line with towel. Top up with ice. Then tie the box tightly

fluene,

ahh .. actually at home has a small coleman but I don't plan to bring it (assuming I have a lot =D) because it is a shopping trip, luggage already banyak =D hahaha so thought of getting a cooler bag. mmm .. just wait till the time and see how it goes first =) but I need a cooler bag to store the supply so that I can use it to bring EBM back from office to home.

For the transportation from office to home, you just need a small cooler bag. I use the Mom's Precious cooler bag which can fit 3 - 6 bottles at max. For bigger amount (oversea trips and bring frozen EBM back home), if you don't want to invest on Coleman, you may get those cooler bag (from Jusco or Isetan, which ppl buy it to keep/bring those fish, ice cream, etc back home from grocery shopping) which is pretty good as well assuming you put sufficient ice pack/techni ice sheet in between the milk bottles.. It worked for me. If I'm not mistaken, I paid only rm24.90 for the one from Isetan. Can easily put in 20bottles.

fluene,

ahh .. actually at home has a small coleman but I don't plan to bring it (assuming I have a lot =D) because it is a shopping trip, luggage already banyak =D hahaha so thought of getting a cooler bag. mmm .. just wait till the time and see how it goes first =) but I need a cooler bag to store the supply so that I can use it to bring EBM back from office to home.

blue pierre,

ahh .. okie =) so from work to office I just get the normal cooler bag

since I'm going to KL, I hope I can get the type that you mentioned here from there and bring back the supply =) I just don't wanna waste it.

err what is techni ice? =P

Yup, you can get those cooler bag from Isetan (I got mine from Isetan KLCC) or Jaya Jusco. Worth the value as we can use it for our grocery shopping the next time when we are no longer BF'ing our bb. :-)

Tehni ice functions as ice-pack but it's in 'sheet' form. Refer to the below link for its product description.

http://www.fabulousmom.com/catalog/product...products_id=947

blue pierre,

ahh .. okie =) so from work to office I just get the normal cooler bag

since I'm going to KL, I hope I can get the type that you mentioned here from there and bring back the supply =) I just don't wanna waste it.

err what is techni ice? =P

blue_pierre,

thanks for sharing =) maybe I can try to look around in kch too, maybe I can get something similar to that =)

abt the techni ice mmm .. I think I saw it somewhere in kch .. ahh .. I think I ever saw it at cosway including the cooler bag, yaya tat's right =)

I'm travelling fr Pg to KL to attend a 4d3n conference. Initially was so worried about the EBM that I need to bring back by flight but after reading this thread, I felt so relieved and really salute all the working mums esp. Fluene, on 20 hour flight from LA to KL. And I was worrying about a 30 mins flight...

I have some questions that I hope travelling mommies can help me with.

1. Is dry-ice cooler compared to techni ice pack?

2. this is slightly off topic..regarding freezing my EBM. did u all specially request hotel staff to freeze ur EBM for u? Any extra charges?Cos I know that hotel rooms only comes with minibar that can only chill EBM.

Purple lotus Not sure about the dry ice vs techni ice pack. Never use dry ice before. I brought my ebm to the hotel's kitchen and asked the staff there to put it in the freezer for me. But make sure you labelled the ebm nicely. Tell them what it is and emphasis on it being very important to be kept frozen. The hotel won't charge you for this. I gave the staff some tips as it is expected in US.

Purple lotus, yes, same as Fluene. I called the service counter and asked for freezer service and told them I have breastmilk to be frozen. They came to my room and collected them, and brought them back intact to me when I was about to check-out. No charge, but we did pay tips for their extra/good service. That was in Spore.

I'm travelling fr Pg to KL to attend a 4d3n conference. Initially was so worried about the EBM that I need to bring back by flight but after reading this thread, I felt so relieved and really salute all the working mums esp. Fluene, on 20 hour flight from LA to KL. And I was worrying about a 30 mins flight...

I have some questions that I hope travelling mommies can help me with.

1. Is dry-ice cooler compared to techni ice pack?

2. this is slightly off topic..regarding freezing my EBM. did u all specially request hotel staff to freeze ur EBM for u? Any extra charges?Cos I know that hotel rooms only comes with minibar that can only chill EBM.

thanks fluene, blue_pierre,

I'm thinking of storing my EBM in milk bags cos it'll help save some space and bring a large rectangle tupperware for the hotel staff to put in my stored EBM. I estimate I'll have around 30 milk bags by the time I check-out and I don't want them misplaced. Will write my name and room number on the rectangele tupperware. What do u gals think?

After going thorugh this thread, I'll most probably hand-carry my frozen EBM rather than check it in.

Purple_lotus, sounds good putting the milk bags into a big tupperware for easy storage. As for hand carry all the 30 milk bags on the plane, you may want to check prior and make sure you are allowed to do so, as a mummy here seemed had some problem on her way back to KL by hand carrying milk where the ground/security staff gave her some hard time while trying to boarding.. The safest is to check-in considering all your EBM will be frozen by then and it's hard as rock, so should be easy to just check-in the whole tupperware with a 'fragile' label on your luggage. My 2-cents worth.

thanks fluene, blue_pierre,

I'm thinking of storing my EBM in milk bags cos it'll help save some space and bring a large rectangle tupperware for the hotel staff to put in my stored EBM. I estimate I'll have around 30 milk bags by the time I check-out and I don't want them misplaced. Will write my name and room number on the rectangele tupperware. What do u gals think?

After going thorugh this thread, I'll most probably hand-carry my frozen EBM rather than check it in.