christylee

FM or whole milk?

I was inspired by my fren to give fresh milk instead of FM after weaning. I started to give her fresh milk since 18mths++, before that was fully on BM only. Now that she is almost 22months, I am weaning for few days already. She take 3x fresh milk at nursery everyday. Since I won't be bfing her at night anymore, was thinking if I should give her 1x fresh milk at night before sleep, but the problem is, so far I have only given her the bottle of milk twice, when she was around 19mths old and she just took it and kept laughing at it, and not drinking it. At school, she take it from the caretaker and finish it everytime. So the problem now is how do I make her drink? sigh...was thinking that her dad can help to pass her the bottle, but he's not at home most of the nights, so it'll be tough. And I wouldn't want her to take the bottle from me at night, and play with it and not drinking seriously on bed. Will cause drops or spills on the bed and attract ants. Also, to warm the milk, should I buy the warmer? I don't have any so far. All these while, babysitter or the caretaker at nursery now, will warm using hot water. But at home, I'll have to specifically boil(not convenient) and warming it using hot water will take about 10mins? seems troublesome already...If buy warmer, wouldn't it be funny to buy now only when she is nearing 2yrs old? dilemma

margarita,

Maybe you can put milk inside other container instead of milk bottle? Straw cup or even open cup with straw. I don't serve cow's milk in milk bottle (erm, I don't even have any milk bottle at home). She only uses milk bottle at nanny's.

Re warming, maybe you use hot water? If you buy warmer, can use it for 2nd baby also lo...

i don't have microwave at home. am thinking to get the little bean warmer and put inside bedroom. before going upstairs to shower, can pour the milk into bottle and bring up put into the warmer, then shower together, come out can drink already. but i read in another threat that the little bean warmer won't stop warming and will warm till 100 degree, is it true? coz afraid i forget to turn off the electricity. if over warmed, will spoil the nutrient already.

I actually don't have a warmer and will use a bowl of hot water to warm up milk in a bottle. I only do this for EBM. When I first started giving Eva cow's milk, I gave it to her in a straw cup - she has never had the bottle so I wasn't about to intro any form of milk in a bottle. She didn't like it cold so I would warm it up in the method I mentioned before and it takes me less than 5 minutes to get it to room temp/slightly warm. That was nearly a month ago.

Now that she's used to drink milk from a straw cup, I decided to try giving it straight from the fridge and was surprised when she finished a whole 3 oz at one go. When I took away the straw cup, she protested!!!! Since then, she takes her milk chilled at home. At the babysitter, I was told that she warms up Eva's milk before a feed, be it EBM or fresh milk or FM (her last can of FM ran out yesterday so no more FM - YAY!).

i don't have microwave at home. am thinking to get the little bean warmer and put inside bedroom. before going upstairs to shower, can pour the milk into bottle and bring up put into the warmer, then shower together, come out can drink already. but i read in another threat that the little bean warmer won't stop warming and will warm till 100 degree, is it true? coz afraid i forget to turn off the electricity. if over warmed, will spoil the nutrient already.

i hv the warmer, thou i've nvr used it b4, there are 2 settings for heating up frozen milk (up to 100 degC) or warming chilled milk (at 40 degC).

I've just finished my FM supply and have been introducing my daughter to fresh milk. She didn't like it at first - taking only half of what I gave her. I'm quite sure its because fresh milk is not as sweet as FM. But after a couple of days, she is back to drinking the amount she usually drinks, whew!

Anyway, I asked my paed about changing to fresh milk - he said it is ok, but need to ensure that she eats well, i.e. need to have a good balance of veg, fruits, protein, fish and carb.

what's the different with fresh milk and UHT??

fresh milk are those at the cooler section in the supermarket and UHT is those that are not chill is it??

i have always feed ian with chill EBM, so.. feeding cold milk to him is not a problem.

UHT = ultra high treatment

Basically it's an added treatment above pasteurisation and makes milk viable outside the chiller. Downside is that this often kills more nutrients in the process.

thanks meiteoh for your explaination

so it is better to consume chilled milk then..

i am now looking for not so pricey FM, or chill milk~ i bought progress gold milk powder during warehouse sales few months back @ 50%, down side is that it is going to expire on dec this year

hi,

just wan to check with u all, how to serve the fresh milk to baby at 16-18months? we can just warm the fresh milk in the packet that take out from the refrigerator? warm the fresh milk just like we warm the breast milk? we also can let baby drink the chilled milk right?

so 2 way to serve?

sorry to ask such silly Q.. as myself didnt drink milk at all. :p

Hey do u guys know Dutch Lady has come out with a new “fresh milk” specially made for kids? There’s DL Kid milk for kids 1-6 years old and DL School milk for kids 6-12 years old. I think giving them this milk is better than the normal fresh milk that we grownups drink coz the DL Kid & School milk contains the right nutrients for kids according to their ages.

After nearly 3 years, I only found out you can give fresh milk instead of FM to your child :dash2: . Anyway been trying out the UHT milk for Ashley (thanks Mei for the clarification over on my FB shout-out) for a couple of days and she loves them. Been asking for them instead of FM.

Pink, I'm a firm believer of "the less the milk has been tempered with, the better it is". No offence but DL, IMHO, doesn't have a good track record of providing 100% milk in their dairy products - a lot of them are made up of milk solids, flavouring, preservatives, etc. Therefore, I prefer milk that is, well, just milk. We shouldn't see milk as a short-cut solution to providing a balanced diet for our children but instead see it as a complement to the many other equally yummy and nutritious food for our children.

Pink, I'm a firm believer of "the less the milk has been tempered with, the better it is". No offence but DL, IMHO, doesn't have a good track record of providing 100% milk in their dairy products - a lot of them are made up of milk solids, flavouring, preservatives, etc. Therefore, I prefer milk that is, well, just milk. We shouldn't see milk as a short-cut solution to providing a balanced diet for our children but instead see it as a complement to the many other equally yummy and nutritious food for our children.

absolutely agree on this.

Back in M'sia, I give Farmhouse fresh milk (from the chiller)...have yet to find a good UHT 100% fresh milk in small packs. Here in Singapore, it's Meiji fresh milk and Marigold UHT milk (available in small packs). The only ingredient(s) in all these milks is...milk. :smile:

I stay away from Dutch Lady - UHT especially - because it is made up of milk solids, flavouring, etc. :x

mei, do you know how long can opened pasteurized milk stay in fridge?

i am starting to let my bb try fresh milk now ... but she still doesn't like the taste .. taking few sips only .. wondering how long can i keep the balance in fridge?