yinxi

Banquet Marriage VS Traveling Marriage

I need opinions on this topic. My friends told me that if family does not object, traveling marriage is cheaper than banquet marriage, less headache for preparation and more enjoyable. We can treat our friends and relatives for a simpler but not necessarily cheap dinner some time after our traveling marriage. At least we don't need to cope with invitation cards, banquet, photography, clothing, makeup, etc... Traveling marriage also doubles as honeymoon, and since only 2 of us are involved, no headache involving other people.

I want to discuss this because I have just went through a financial breakdown, and I need to start all over to save up money. At my current rate I can only save RM800 a month (that's no new clothes, 3 x RM5 meals a day, and no entertainment budget) living low. How long I have to wait before I can marry if I do a banquet marriage?? That's why I need ideas on this. And yes, I hope to get married ASAP (not as in rushing, no pregnancy thing, but just the sooner the better). But I still want my honey to have an enjoyable marriage, and since she likes traveling, hence I propose this idea.

Please discuss... I need ideas seriously....thanks.

Hie, its not a big deal for a traveling marriage? As for mine, i chose banquet marriage and i only spend around 15k which include everything, ping kam and buffet...My hb's $$ not mine of coz..heheh..With 15k you can have a simple one nice and i felt proud of it. If your gf and you both agree for a traveling marriage, just do it..Why need to bother what other thinks right? To add on, perhaps you can go for simple wedding photography which cause around 1k.. Treat friends and family a dinner and they give angpows to cover up the expense. For furniture, a bed room set will cause around 1-2k. Decision is up to you. And to speed up the time fof marriage, did your gf join you with the savings too?

Since you are comparing cost, my opinions are penned based on $$ issue.

Ideally, travelling marriage sounds cheaper compared to banquet marriage. However, I think the cost of getting married does not necessary falls under the banquet cost. Most of my pals mentioned that banquets are not a problem and they did not bear much cost mostly due to the angpows they received would have covered the cost for the whole banquet event.

The cost of marriage i think would have come from the expectations for a ping kam, lai kam, biscuits, new furnitures, bridal photoshoot, wedding rings, and the honeymoon.

So, unless you are forgoing all these, otherwise, travelling marriage doesn't make much difference. Of course, maybe you can cut down on the rental of the wedding gown, the chu mun & day before chut mun buffet dinner for relatives and friends and the dai kam jie which you might not need to hire.

For guy side, those ping kam, lai kam, & chut mun might not be big issue if guy parents are ok. But usually all these are more on the girl side requirement instead of guys side. Especially if girl side family is more traditional thinking. Coz parents tend to feel that without all these, it sound like their daughter is "cheap" and being sent out in disgrace. ( Not all parents, just some traditional ones = ))

So, best if you discuss with your wife to be if her parents are ok with this.

On honeymoon travelling, it is also depends if you go those europe tour or local/ asian tour. IF travelling mariage but you gonan spend RM 30k on honeymoon, then its almost the same as a budget wedding. Like uniquesoul mentioned, 15k also can liao ~

I need opinions on this topic. My friends told me that if family does not object, traveling marriage is cheaper than banquet marriage, less headache for preparation and more enjoyable. We can treat our friends and relatives for a simpler but not necessarily cheap dinner some time after our traveling marriage. At least we don't need to cope with invitation cards, banquet, photography, clothing, makeup, etc... Traveling marriage also doubles as honeymoon, and since only 2 of us are involved, no headache involving other people.

I want to discuss this because I have just went through a financial breakdown, and I need to start all over to save up money. At my current rate I can only save RM800 a month (that's no new clothes, 3 x RM5 meals a day, and no entertainment budget) living low. How long I have to wait before I can marry if I do a banquet marriage?? That's why I need ideas on this. And yes, I hope to get married ASAP (not as in rushing, no pregnancy thing, but just the sooner the better). But I still want my honey to have an enjoyable marriage, and since she likes traveling, hence I propose this idea.

Hi,Yinxi.Just want to know if u go on a travelling marriage,will u be skipping ur wedding photograhpy n ur girl would not be wearing THE wedding gown?

i'm not sure if ur banquet marraige only take out banquet? or take out all those prewedding photos, gowns thingy?

if take out everything, maybe traveling marraige is cheaper coz you no nd to spend for your pre-wedding photos, no nd to hire MUA for actual day.

While for banquet itself, i think you might only need some cash flow coz most of the time the angpow can cover it.

if you only take out the banquet, then I do not think you'll get to save it.

and you mention you can treat your relatives for simpler dinner, will you need the gowns and make up artist? coz this is another cost.

Thanks all, actually I've discussed with my girlfriend already, I think we're still going with banquet marriage anyhow. However, we don't want the Chinese style (seafood restaurant and invite a lot), we are thinking of doing Western style wedding dinner. I saw this in Sex and the City and some other movies and I think it's nice. Anyone did a Western style or went to one before? How is the costing compared to Chinese style? The venue is usually hotel or resort right? Any good recommendation websites? Western dinner they serve a 'coursed' Western dinner, but individually, unlike Chinese all on the table you take your portion.

hi Yinxi,

its good that both of you finally get to mutual agreement between both of you. but when i read your previous message saying about the budget that you need to squeeze yourself to get the saving, i think its not that easy to go for a buffet banquet as well. bear in mind, people will not be giving that much angpow if u go for this style and u may end up paying more.

sorry if i sound bias but i still support the traditional wedding banquet as that will be merrier (u dont have to invite the whole village , dont you?) and more memorable..

just my 2 cent!

Good luck

my friend last time did a buffet banquet and it was a mess.

sorry to say, everyone was busy taking food from the buffet table n walking here n there even during yumseng time and after eating (since buffet so its faster take, faster finish) by 9ish / 10 pm everyone left already.

personally i didnt really like that kind of setting but then again its very individual :) as long as the bride n groom likes it, so why not right :D

Hi yinxi,

Western buffet style dinner is awesome! We just got married and that was wat we did. All you need is proper planning and timing. We had our wedding on an island and the wedding dinner at the beach. But ours are western buffet style for 70pax. The cost depends on what is being served, usually they will charge you by per pax. And also minimum order. Just like any conventional buffet party. It doesn't have to be a resort or hotels. It can be a garden or even a park...with permission of course. Just have a few nice canopies and nice table settings and you are done.

If you want a sit-down western style...it would be pretty expensive and usually it would be for very small party. not like hundreds. And that you would have to go for resorts and hotels. And that you have to rent their ballrooms.