Sign in to follow this  
citylady

Set up Altar

I am moving to my new apartment very soon.

Initially, I & my husband wanted simple and thinking of putting a "kuan yin" in our apartment.

We choose kuan yin thinking that no need josstick and simple pray (put both hands together).

But my parents advised no need put "god/ deities" because modern people nowadays didn't set up altar. If want pray, just go temple.

My in-laws advise my husband to set up an altar. My husband listens to his mummy.

I'm lost. Actually, both of us very seldom pray.

We set up the altar is just for safety purpose (in mind) and his parents request.

i think its both u & yr husband house, if u feel u don't want to install an altar than its ok. if u do install it, both u & yr husband will need to look at it everyday or maintain it, not yr in-laws!

Hi..i think it is better to have an altar in your new home becoz of safety and also to guard the house from unwanted "visitors". I heard many ugly stories from frens because their house don't have any altar or God so kena harass or possessed by those "visitors".

Btw, anybody knew where to find those people to install altar? I mean those sifu?

Thanks

to me ... no point having an alter and not praying to it daily and doing all the necessity like during diety day prayers, 1st & 15th of the chinese calendar month - go on vegetarian.

You dont put a God in your house hoping for "safety" thats the wrong mentality. If you put a diety on an altar, then at least have faith, believe in the religion and do all the necessary and right things for it. If you dont do your part, then its just a doll sitting there.

we are one of the couples that went and set up altar... altar for kwanyin, ancestors, dei zu and tian shan... we pray every 1st and 15th and also special dates like birthdays and etc...

whether to set up or not it depends on urself... if u wanna 'fook si' the god, then set up... if u think u cant spend time to clean the altars, to pray and etc then better dont...

honestly it is not cheap maintaining 4 altars... but its all about ur own mentality... if u think by praying, u get blessing, then go ahead and set up... let it comes from urself rather than listening to ppl around u...

i am currently also the same dilemma. still considering if want to set up an altar or not. the main concerns is, we have to pray daily, and every 1st and 15th and other occasion. just worried since both me and my wife is working and really have limited time.