crasygal

Baby Product & Brand

Hi All,

I'm not sure did any one of you post this topic before... if there yes please bring me to the link :blush:

I'm mum to be.. and this is my first baby... yesterday been to the 6th Parenthood at Mid Valley... saw lots of brand that I never heared before... also I do not know what is a good and recommended brand for the baby product... I didnt buy anything there except a set of baby bottle from MAM... :tongue: also I don't know what to buy for the baby.. I only know baby needs baby bottle, pacifier, diapers, car seats, stroller, baby bed and cloths... :unsure:

so I need those mum here help me up.. other than that what baby needs and what is the recommeded brand...

appreciate your help.... :wub:

hi uniquesoul,

haha.. its a good question for me to ans.. actually I've no idea what we need for the baby other then those commend item... I heared my fren said we may need breast pump, steamer, warmer etc... a very long list...

I can't affort too expensive product... coz need to buy lots of things for the baby... for those important and safety product we may go for good and branded one lo... like stroller and car seat.. but I heared branded one will be expensive and it may near to RM1k+... :sad:

can share what product and brand, cost that you guys use??

thank...

Breast pump and 2 sets of four bottles - from Avent (BP is ISIS IQ Uno and it was a white elephant for nearly 9 mths and I only started using it when I started working again, even then was using manual function)

Warmer - no warmer (just use bowl and hot water)

Steriliser - Carrefour Tex Baby (this is the house brand for Carrefour - bought it in France for super dirt cheap)

Car seat + stroller - Bambisol which is another cheap French brand (paid less than 150 euroes)

Baby crib - IKEA (paid SGD 79 for the cot and another 70 plus for the mattress).

HB and I are on always on a budget so I buy what is within my budget without compromising on the safety features.

I also buy as and when I need it, especially for things like breast pads, clothes, even bath tub! This was also because I was moving right after my delivery so no room to carry/ship over so many things.

crasygal,

I think you can keep the baby stuff for the next pregnancy, things like bb cot, stroller, walker, and etc..

If you are having bb gal now, dun buy all pinky clothes same goes for bb boy, all blue..

Fiffy, pigeon and anakku are good brands which you can consider. For strollers, highchair, you may consider sweet cherry which is at affordable prices.

meiteoh,

thank u for sharing.. my HB everything safety first then only consider the price.. if we can affort we will go for it.. but some times he rather spend more for it...

uniquesoul,

I haven't know the gender of the baby yet... till now I havent buy anything except a set of baby bottle and the colour is for unisex.. :smile: yesterday I saw pigeon at the parenthood exibition but didnt have a look as I don't know what brand is that... the brand I heared about from magazine is Avent, anaku, pureen etc.. the rest never heared bout it... yesterday I seen lots of parents carry US baby's beg... is this a well known brand like avent, anaku etc...?? I've no knowledge for baby staff and Im doing research on it.. so in mean time need u guys advise also... :blush:

is it complusary to have steamer..?? can we just used the gas to steam the bottle instate of the steamer..?? I heared steamer is not that good in msia... whn they steam the bottle it will have plastic smell...

Yes..there are variety of steamer brands around..but i just stick to the traditional, using pots to steam the bottles and everything.

The thing about having a baby is that you can really overspend - it is such a great business since a lot of parents a willing to spend, and therefore there are a lot of expensive products out there which are not a necessity. Otherwise, you can make do with basic necessities.

Steriliser - not necessary, can just steam with normal pot

Warmer - not necessary, can just warm with bowl and hot water

Clothes - FOS has a lot of cheap NB clothes

You can also borrow some of the items from family/friends whose baby has grown up.

Anyway, in the first one month, you will need these:

Breast pump and bottles (it is worthwhile investing in a good pump, and I find it good to relieve engorged breasts)

Baby cot, mattress, mattress sheet & thin blanket (no need pillow, bolster, bumper, etc) - I think cheapest bbcot is the Ikea one. Otherwise mybbstore & babyjaya also have pretty reasonably priced cots

Pacifier

Diapers (i like MamyPoko - more expensive, but doesn't leak so much)

Baby napkins (can get normal ones - I think Anakku ones are quite cheap). Get more of these - can be used for multipurpose. I also use these to swaddle my baby - don't have to get those expensive e.g. kiddopotamus swaddling blanket.

Car-seat (I bought Safety First. Quite expensive - I think it was close to RM1k)

Baby bottle washing liquid (I use Pureen), baby clothes washing liquid (I use A-B-D).

For the mom, breast pad (but I find can do without - if I wear a tight enough bra, my breasts won't leak :P), maternity pad, sarongs.

I think that's about it. The rest you can buy them as and when you need after your confinement period.

Yes..there are variety of steamer brands around..but i just stick to the traditional, using pots to steam the bottles and everything.

i agree.. ever since i left the steriliser at bbsitter's im using the old method, which works pretty fine.

products that i bought

1) baby cot, mattress, stroller - fairworld, got it during warehouse sale, ~rm500

2) bottles - avent (there is also a starter pack, selling at quite a reasonable price), ~RM40 per bottle

3) steriliser + warmer - little bean, abt rm180, warmer came free with it

4) Toiletries - pureen, just got 1 basic set

additionally i got a lot of toiletries and clothes as gifts.. also an infant car seat, another stroller & a fisherprice rocker

buy some basics and wait for gifts ;) and yeah, do alottttttttttttt of research online for best price.. most of the shops & online shops have sale every 6 months, thats when they offer up to 20% discount.. so dont buy during the time there is no discount

For me.. I am using a mixture of brands

1) Bottle : Started off with Avent but my gal had bad colic so switched to Dr Brown (all BPA free)

2) Steriliser and Warmer : Avent. Avent IQ Warmer is really good as it can warm up chilled BM within 2-3 mins. Fastest in the market and good for inpatient babies. Steriliser costs RM289 and IQ Warmer costs $300+ (cant remember liao)

3. Stroller and Car Seat : Chicco (RM1k for full recline heavy duty stroller and RM1k for car seat) and Combi (RM600 for ultra lightweight - for travelling/holiday use)

4. Cot & mattress : Got the convertible cot and latex mattress (Safe & Sound) from The First Few Years for approx RM1k in total.

5. Bedding & bumper set : Safe & Sound

6. Breast pump & milk storage : Medela Freestyle twin pump (RM1.2k - super cheap as HB got it from US. Selling at RM1899 here) & bumblebee storage bottles & Avent VIA Cups

7. Bottle wash, baby wipes, anti-bacteria wipes, hand & mouth wipes : Pigeon (japanese brand)

8. Laundry detergent : Nappikleen

9. Bathtub : The First Year's Infant To Toddler Tub with Sling (RM89).

10. Shower, baby cream, etc : Sebamed and Buds

11. Swing (not sarung or spring cot) : Fisher Price (RM299) and Graco (RM599)

12. Diapers : Mamypoko. Buy during sales..

HB and I actually converted all our credit card points into shopping vouchers in order to buy baby stuff.

If you use tradditional boiling method, the wear and tear of the bottle will be faster. If wanna save cost, use a rack and steam the bottles in a big pot/wok.

i guess you can do a lot of things the traditional way. i.e. steaming usingpots, warming up milk using mug & hot water.. but i find that with the electrical appliances, you save time and thus of course the stress of having a new baby!

i guess you can do a lot of things the traditional way. i.e. steaming usingpots, warming up milk using mug & hot water.. but i find that with the electrical appliances, you save time and thus of course the stress of having a new baby!

I agree. Initially i didint have a sterilizer. Thought of using the old fashioned method but i find that i save a lot of time by using a sterilizer as i will be washing my breast pump and storage bottles more than once a day.

Cant image if i rush home from work then need to fill up the pot with water and wait for it to boil, put the accessories in, drain the pot and wash it n keep it back in the cupboard. Saves me a lot time as i need to get things done within 1 hr before my baby comes home

End up buying a mothercare sterilizer for myself...i got it less than rm150.

thank u all...

mm... seems like now a days sterilizer is a must thing for the mum... :smile: I think I will add the strerilizer in my list.. Im those kind want to finish the things in fast n easy way... :tongue:

ya I have a question... my fren told me those diapers, baby shampoo etc buy it after bb born coz scare bb will got sensitive on the product if I buy before bb born... I was wander if I dont buy before bb born then now will I know will my bb sensitive with it..

I heared lots of ppl said mamypoko is good... also said newborn baby change alot.. I heared there have re-useable diaper... is it confort for bb also is it worth to invest...?? lots of question in my head... :blush:

For baby shampoo and toiletries, if you're afraid of certain brands..why not try on organic ones? Like BUds..its very expensive.I'm using sebamed lotion, nappy cream and shower gel..so far no prob arise..i did not use any shampoo for baby for the first 5 mths..but i've bought 1 last sat at the expo cause my baby's hair is growing..keke..

As for the cloth diaper that u mention, guess u gotta check it out at the cloth diaper thread cause too many topics have already exist..

For baby shampoo and toiletries, if you're afraid of certain brands..why not try on organic ones? Like BUds..its very expensive.I'm using sebamed lotion, nappy cream and shower gel..so far no prob arise..i did not use any shampoo for baby for the first 5 mths..but i've bought 1 last sat at the expo cause my baby's hair is growing..keke..

As for the cloth diaper that u mention, guess u gotta check it out at the cloth diaper thread cause too many topics have already exist..

arent most baby products tested on baby? still not sure of the safety meh?

i didnt use shampoo till now.. hair very little mah, just use some body shampoo on it is enuf :)

Buds is having Merdeka sale for this month, i think until this month end. Buy 2 get 1 free (FOC for the cheapest one), you may check it out at any pharmacy.

arent most baby products tested on baby? still not sure of the safety meh?

i didnt use shampoo till now.. hair very little mah, just use some body shampoo on it is enuf :)

the same for my little boy. no hair. so just use the body shampoo!

yunny, what kinda bud products you're using? does buds have any baby powder?

Buds is having Merdeka sale for this month, i think until this month end. Buy 2 get 1 free (FOC for the cheapest one), you may check it out at any pharmacy.

last time one of my sis' fren told me (she is a pharmacist).. she said not all bb product safe to used on bb... she did told me the brand.. but can't really remember.... as tat time Im not pregnant and its few yrs ago...

I hardly find huggies toiletries here... my sis told me she used huggies for both of her child... its very good as both of them have sensitive skin like my sis... when she back from NZ she hardly get huggies toiletries here...

A thing that I found when you're considering stroller & car seat is how long term you plan to use it for.

Most car seats & strollers from 0 months - to maybe around 4 years old is more expensive but you save in the long run because you only need to get it once and will last you until your next child.

Based on the browsing around I did, the branded strollers & car seats that are from 3 months onwards (when the baby's neck is firmer) is a lot cheaper than when it's from 0 months. So I got a car seat that is from 0 months onward but for stroller, plan to see if it's necessity. The brand I got for the car seat is Britax (AU version is called Safe & Sound)

For baby cots, the most important thing for me is the safety of the paint as it needs to be lead free. Usually international brands like Ikea will have strict safety standards.

The cloth diaper thread is really helpful if you're planning to use modern cloth nappies ... but kind of requires commitment, eg: special detergent, etc.

For baby care products, have read reviews that Johnson & Johnson can be a bit drying for newborn skin so I plan to use Cetaphil (this is what I use to wash my face too) which is recommended for sensitive skin until the baby is a bit older then can switch to J&J

For me, i try huggies for 1-2 mths..but stop it cause it leaks every morning..>_<...Using pet pet and mammypoko..

Seems that Fitti is not bad too right? anyone use it b4>?

ashandrea.. I remember one of the brand my sis' fren mention is J&J.. she said the PH 5.5 is not up to there.. its more than 5.5 so is not good for baby especially with those sensitive skin...

uniquesoul... when my sis back she bought huggies diapers she said not good also.. leaking and her child sensitive with it.. so she bought mammypoko... but she bring the huggies wet tissue, huggies baby shampoo, huggies baby body shampoo, lotion etc.. all her toiletries is huggies brand... but here can't find...

Folks, re shampoo and all that, please don't use shampoo or soap on newborns for at least the first two months even though it's written that it's for sensitive skin. For starters, babies are not thatttt dirty so you don't need all those things. Just water will do. In fact, any kind of soap - sensitive or otherwise - is drying for newborn plus their skin is very sensitive in the first month. Think of it this way - you can save money on detergent and expensive baby wipes. :lol: