citylady

Where to buy Guo Da Li Stuff???

Please don't go to the one in Puchong.. I went there with my Dai Kam Jie last week and their price is extremely expensive! Pretty upset after the visit, and they keep on pushing you to buy these and that.

At the end, I spend around RM 1300++ just to buy the things I want/don't want for my wedding.. thanks to my Dai Kam and her partner of that shop.. :(.

Another couple inside the shop also having the same fate as me... sigh.

Will never recommend anyone to go here again.... blood sucking shop!

sigh.....i cant wait for the day when all these unnecessary and meaningless rituals/traditions/cultures die......

seriously, they cost a bomb and don't serve any purpose.

Hi babes, There is a wedding shop inside JAYA 33 just beside the Japan stuffs shop & soap shop at ground floor. The lady boss name Winnie & my sister engaged her to select their wedding date & it's just cost RM85. They bought some necessary Guo Da Li stuffs there ie red cloth for both bride & groom house, Ping Kam ang pow, etc i also forgotten already. Prices are fair. Another shop I went to buy cute stuffs for my sis wedding is at SS2 above Watsons beside Kamdar & Sun Yin Long Kopitiam. Shop name: SOMETHING SPECIAL TO YOU Purchased wedding paper cups, stickers & hei decor, car plate stickers & poppers. They sell all wedding related items inclusive teapots, couple bears, hei stickers, car plate stickers, hei ang pow, couple bedroom slippers, pyjamas, wedding decors & favours, guo da li items, party poppers, wedding comforter sets & lots more. They sell / rent Chinese traditional costumes too ie kua etc for both bride & groom. Shop info: SOMETHING SPECIAL TO YOU Mezzanine Floor. No. 63 Jalan SS2/64, 47300 PJ. Tel: 03-7877 1800 Website: www.somethingspecialtoyou.com Some stuffs ie red umbrella, teapot set & red fan etc, I brought my sis to Petaling Street to buy. There are few decoration shops selling wedding items too. Price wise is relatively cheaper than PJ shops, I think. Hope it helps.

roseisrose, I think the tradition itself should continue, as we are Chinese as well. If not, they next generation do not know our Chinese customary anymore... and everything will be gone.

As per MIchelle recomendation, I also go to this shop in Happy Garden, Klang Lama. I think the products the sell is the same as the one I went in Puchong, but price is much better. Sigh.. I should have come to this place before that... More over, it's not so far as the one in Puchong.

I remember the name is something call Gallery... can't remember much.

i agree some should be retained i.e. tea ceremony cos to me it means acceptance and respect to elders. this i think should be retained regardless.

but there are many others that don't make sense. for example, the potty - does it really mean that if a small boy pees in the potty one will be blessed with alot of children/boys?

or choosing a date that is deemed 'auspicious' - does it mean that the marriage will be "happily ever after" ? and if insisted, doesn't that make it harder for couples to book a restaurant / hotel cos every other couple wants to get the same date?

then there are those timing issues - if one can only give out invitations after betrothal of gifts (which is a few weeks before the AD) , wouldn't that be too late cos we normally send out invites 2 mths bfore and give 1 mth to rsvp.

these are just my views lar. i hv nothing against them, just that alot of them do not make sense anymore in the modern days cos its no longer practical.

Hahaha, I don't know what tradition is that by having small ball peeing into the potty.. but for my case, I get advice that the small boy only "poke" on the red paper, and take whatever inside..especially the ang pow.

Well, for auspicious date... I think it's still a need. Tak kan you want to get married on chinese 7th month? WEll, I do agree sometimes it's abit ridiculous but at least it's a guideline on the day itself?

For me I start sending the invitation card way before betrothal.. thats what the shop near Happy Garden teach me. Although they sell tradition things, but they do give advice in modern sense... :)

traditionally, the boy should pee into the potty - but as times go by, ppl find it 'icky' so they change it to poking instead. so u see, traditions can be changed depending what is convenient to everyone. the same goes with the invitation cards, traditionally, it should be sent out after bethrotal but ppl change it to suit modern times.

but then again, if these things can easily be changed/amended to suit everyone's convenience, why was it required in the first place? tats just me thinking lar, cos i find these traditions very troublesome when i was planning my own wedding. if i didnt need to do 'follow' (as the elders requested for them), it would have been much much easier and simpler and not to mention cheaper too.

wats wrong with 7th month? wat wil happen if one gets married in the 7th month?

you can try this place

http://www.somethingspecialtoyou.com/

i find it quite reasonably priced.They will pack for you nicely with all the necessary things included in the basket. they will give you a list for you to buy - mostly your own fruits, liquor and the rest of the edibles/drinks. the rest of the stuff already included in their basket.

hope this helps.

Thanks for this! Will go check this out for my GDL stuff. :)

Infact, there is another shop with their price also fairly reasonable. I get most of my traditional wedding items from them.

http://www.bloomgallery.com.my.

Their staff are well trained and they also have a list of items, of what to buy. I found that their service is good and not pushy, like some shop.

I even have my kar lui biscuits and roast pig order from them for my actual day.

I am getting married on Sept, and I visited Bloom Gallery.

Infact, now they are having discount up to 30% I think till end of the month. So I have done all my purchase there.

Bear in mind, before this I have did my survey from this shop and their price is the same as before plus additional discount now.

Usually, those shop will not have any promotion during wedding month as they know ppl will be coming in. Only those not so popular month, promotion is there.

So, shop smart!

Hope this info help those preparing for their wedding.

i agree some should be retained i.e. tea ceremony cos to me it means acceptance and respect to elders. this i think should be retained regardless.

but there are many others that don't make sense. for example, the potty - does it really mean that if a small boy pees in the potty one will be blessed with alot of children/boys?

or choosing a date that is deemed 'auspicious' - does it mean that the marriage will be "happily ever after" ? and if insisted, doesn't that make it harder for couples to book a restaurant / hotel cos every other couple wants to get the same date?

then there are those timing issues - if one can only give out invitations after betrothal of gifts (which is a few weeks before the AD) , wouldn't that be too late cos we normally send out invites 2 mths bfore and give 1 mth to rsvp.

these are just my views lar. i hv nothing against them, just that alot of them do not make sense anymore in the modern days cos its no longer practical.

haha definitely agreed to this !