Piggiemily

Cervical Cancer Vaccine

I had mine last two weeks. Dr Ian Ong at Grand Maya KL. If one injection, 400. If 3 injections are paid at one go, then 380 per injection. 3 injections will be 1140.

I finished my 3 jabs a couple of months ago. So far, no side effect. I paid RM400 per jab. I know this jab is pretty new and so far has not fully guarantee on the prolong result (there's an article about this on today's STAR paper), but at least there's a chance of prevention, rite? As Cervical Cancer is one of the major ladies' killer.

i've taken my first jab too ( its free in Australia for women under 26!!) and no side effects, but was very painful! Maybe I have low pain tolerance, but my arm was very achy for about 3 days after (was told this may happen). Good news is that the medical centre said I could rub Emla (to numb my arm) before the next shot ( coming up !!) so it won't hurt yay!

btw, i forgot, you cannot be pregnant or trying to be pregnant for the duration of the 3 jabs as it may harm the baby. My friend who is married had to be on the pill for the duration of the 6 months (mandatory)

Hi Gals,

I am aware that there are 2 types of the jabs in market now one is to prevent only 2 types of virus (16 & 18) the other can prevent up to 4 types of virus (16+18+2 more i donno :P )

Anyone here have any ideas on the pricing & place to get the jabs?

my fren's family doctor pass her a booklet stating prevention for cervical cancer.it says it a type of medicine which need to b injected.each jab cost about Rm400 n have to take 3 jabs. anyone out they taken this type of vaccination b4??

Yes anyone please provide the place to take at the price for puchong area? or damansara...

and also the price for the paps smear..thanks

I had my first jab (Gardasil) yesterday for RM380 in my hometown. My arm got a bit numb for few hours and there's no side effects until now. I'm quite surprised because it's just a small quantity (about 0.5ml)!

I think Gardasil is better since it protects more HPV types than the other brand - Cervarix.

btw, i forgot, you cannot be pregnant or trying to be pregnant for the duration of the 3 jabs as it may harm the baby. My friend who is married had to be on the pill for the duration of the 6 months (mandatory)

My boss' mum is a nurse, and she said that one should not be pregnant within 1 year after the 3 jabs. Cuz studies now have not confirmed if the jabs would bring side effect to the baby.

So better be safe than sorry... I will only take the jab after my 1st baby. ;)

Wow..... RM400 for each jab ah... so expensive.....

Tat means the whole vaccine course will be around rm1200 lor..... how long is the duration from the 1st jab to the next jab? After few months????

Where do u gals go to take the jab? can intro hah? im quite interested in it leh.... *wink*

Gynae explained there since it is not proven whether it is affecting baby... so better to avoid pregnant for at least 10 mth after the 3 doz...

hmmm....actually I just attend the talk about this vaccine by the expertise doctors. all ladies could get this jabs for prevention. and I found that it is more applicable for those young teens who never have any sexual life yet. so far they still doing the study on it. it's still quite new. but for 16 & 18 is the most common case. yup....as doctors told us, beside take the jabs, is the life style. one-to one partner life. although we trust our partner but we couldnt 100% guarantee that our partner is royalty to us. But one important thing that the speaker advise every lady must go for pap smear test every year bacause this is the first step to reduce the prob to get cervical cancer or others related cancer.

The day after tomorrow i will go for the 1st jab. Only costing me RM 330 to RM 350 per jab. The gynae will introduce the course and vaccine before the injection start. So any questions we can ask before jab. For ladies that using HSBC credit card, there is promotion for this vaccine in Pantai hospital. Please go and check it out. I think i saw it few days ago, dunno if this still going on. Last year, i did my pap smear, the doctor in SJMC recommended me to take the whole course. They are offering at the price RM500 per jab. Even we only have 1 sex partner, but we dunno if our partner also show their royalty to us. Doctor said if your hb or bf is sexual active, then u also will get the infection from him.

Great news!!! My doc said due to large demand..the factory

has larger production so the price has dropped!!

NOw 50% off for each jab..tomorrow is my last jab..rm200 will suffice..

LAdies, it's time to take your jabs the cheaper way!! Great news..really great

Great news!!! My doc said due to large demand..the factory

has larger production so the price has dropped!!

NOw 50% off for each jab..tomorrow is my last jab..rm200 will suffice..

LAdies, it's time to take your jabs the cheaper way!! Great news..really great

wow, good news...but is it available in KL onli??? sad

Ladies, I don't know how true this is but a Malaysian blogger picked up some news regarding this vaccine and it's not pretty. Apparently, as in his blog entry here,

This one involves the HPV vaccine, Gardasil, which immunizes women from potential cervical cancers but instead, some who took it, develop serious side effects from paralysis to autoimmune diseases similar to Systemic Lupus... Gardasil also contains Polysorbate 80, a known infertility causing chemical.

There are also videos reports from CNN (dated November 2008) (CNN quotes "that since it was available 2.5 years ago, there has been an alarming number of serious adverse reactions and even death related to the vaccine...") and others from CBS which include testimonies from women who have developed serious side effects from this vaccine. Do watch the videos.

I'm in the middle of getting more info from some American knitters so will share whatever I discover here.

Found some news reports on the Internet from major news agencies in the US:

* New worries about Gardasil safety - CBS

* Following A Girl’s Death, the CDC is Finally Looking at Gardasil Links - newsinferno.com

* CDC Takes Closer Look at Gardasil and Paralysis - usnews.com

* Should parents worry about HPV vaccine? - CNN.com

Yes, it is...it protects against four strains of HPV compared to Cervix's two strains.

Oh, I posted this on another similar thread but will share here as well:

Do note that the vaccine is not a prevent or cure all - you still have to go for regular pap smears.

After more reading, I discovered that the vaccine only protects from some strains which means that you can still get cervical cancer. Heh.

Here is some info about cervical cancer and the virus that causes it (HPV):

The most important risk factor in the development of cervical cancer is infection with a high-risk strain of human papillomavirus. The virus cancer link works by triggering alterations in the cells of the cervix, which can lead to the development of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, which can lead to cancer.

Women who have many sexual partners (or who have sex with men or women who had many other partners) have a greater risk.

More than 150 types of HPV are acknowledged to exist (some sources indicate more than 200 subtypes). Of these, 15 are classified as high-risk types (16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 68, 73, and 82), 3 as probable high-risk (26, 53, and 66), and 12 as low-risk (6, 11, 40, 42, 43, 44, 54, 61, 70, 72, 81, and CP6108), but even those may cause cancer. Types 16 and 18 are generally acknowledged to cause about 70% of cervical cancer cases. Together with type 31, they are the prime risk factors for cervical cancer.

Genital warts are caused by various strains of HPV which are usually not related to cervical cancer.