Sign in to follow this  
Diana

Trying to wean baby from night feeds

Hey moms,

Just wondering how do you wean your baby? I'd prefer not to use the cry-it-out method. Are there any other self taught ones?? It's getting really tiring that Chloe's not sleeping through the night. Does it work if I add less FM to the same amount of water and gradually decrease it? SHe falls asleep while drinking.

you can try giving her water instead. that's what i did to my eldest. at 10 mths old, i gave her water and since then ,she has been sleeping thru the nite. only 1 nite. it's like they gave up when they find no milk just water! :)

I read a book save our sleep, which I believe Diana can get it in Aus =)

They fit a schedule for the baby to follow and I read that they put the lil one to sleep as early as 7pm then 10pm dreamfeed so that the lil can sleep thru the night till 7am. But for the time we can adjust accordingly, like 9pm instead of 7pm then around 11pm or 12am give her a dreamfeed, what do you think?

how often does chloe wake up?

Sanju gets up usually abt 3am-5pm... after feeding he dozes off... if we give water, arent we depriving him of his feeds?

here's a link to a ebook on sleeping solution.. i havent finished reading it though :P but some mothers say it is very helpful

http://www.filestube.com/49d310864372429803e9/details.html

Diana, you don't necessarily have to do CIO for baby to sleep through the night. Scheduled feeding helps - enough milk feed & solids during daytime and not too much sleep during daytime can help baby sleep better through the night.

If you want, i can refer to my book & share the recommended routine for a 9mo.

Based on the book i have, it is recommended that we don't drop night feed till baby is 5/6 months old - then last feed can be 10/11pm and next feed 7am as they have started solids. Even then, need to follow the recommended scheduled feeding to ensure baby has enough milk during daytime. From 10 weeks old till 5/6 months old, after 10/11 pm feed, still need to give them one feed at 3/4 am, and after that at 7am.

Ally'sMom,

You are referring to what book?

Mine was "Save our Sleep" they do have the schedule too but I left the book at home, I need to check.

I will only start train her sleep thru night after introducing solid or at least after 6 mths old.

When I wean my babies off night feed, what I did was like this. Feed at 7pm and then they were off to bed. Dream feed at 10pm. Let them sleep till they wake up. Sometimes they will wake at 3 -4 am while other times, they will sleep till 6am. If they wake, I gave them diluted milk. Gradually, they will sleep through till 6-7am without waking. After a while, they will start to drop the 10pm feed as well. We woke them for milk, but they cried to be let to sleep (too syok sleeping). So now my babies take last feed at 7pm and sleep it though till 7am.

fluene,

Might share the amt of milk that you gave to your lil one?

I owes wonder how much we shud give them or just as usual amt?

Like if I give them 6oz at 7pm then 10pm also another 6oz?

Hey moms,

Just wondering how do you wean your baby? I'd prefer not to use the cry-it-out method. Are there any other self taught ones?? It's getting really tiring that Chloe's not sleeping through the night. Does it work if I add less FM to the same amount of water and gradually decrease it? SHe falls asleep while drinking.

Hi!

yeah... weaning baby from night feed is tough. my peads suggested i try the delay method of delaying each feed later and later... initially my baby would wake up at 3am for her feed. so when she wakes up, i would carry her and sing to her and try to put her back to sleep without feed. initially she was screaming at the top of her lungs but i try to calm her and tell her that it's not time for milk milk yet. go back to sleep. i will try to distract her for as long as possible before giving her a bottle. when i do give her the bottle, i will tell her that it's 4 o'clock now. time for milk milk and this continues on until she gets the message. eventually, she stops waking up at 3am but 4am. sometimes she does wake up at 3am and i would tell her not time yet and she would go back to sleep. once that stabilises, i start the whole process to push to 5am then 6am and 7am or when she wakes up. all in all, it took me abt 1.5-2 months to do that and once everytime we travel outstation, everything screws up and i have to start all over again. but i am happy to share that as of abt 2-3 wks ago, my 1 yo baby has slept thru the night without a single feed and i only give her a bottle when she wakes up.

my sister actually suggested that i wake her at abt midnight to feed her (she did that for her son and daughter and it worked) and that should be sufficient to keep her full until the next morning but unfortunately for me, when i tried that, it did not work but my daughter ended up wanting an extra feed at midnight which she previously did not want. :(

every baby is different so u need to try out a few methods until u find one that works for you. hope this helps :) good luck!

fluene,

Might share the amt of milk that you gave to your lil one?

I owes wonder how much we shud give them or just as usual amt?

Like if I give them 6oz at 7pm then 10pm also another 6oz?

The amount of milk that I gave to my babies when I started weaning them off night feed (at ca. 6 months old) were :

7pm 200ml (sorry, I use mL)

10pm 80mL

If wake up at night, I dilute the milk gradually but total still 80mL.

Do not overstuff your baby thinking that if they take bigger feed, then they will stay full longer. Baby's stomach is small and can accommodate only small amount. If you give more, then they will overstuffed and even vomit. I'm sure you don't want that right?

Please bear in mind that I gave the above amount based on my babies weight and taking their prematurity into consideration. Also, I started weaning them off night feed only when they have started taking solids.

dunno wor .. but there's a night my gal sleep thru the night from 9pm till 5am with 4oz of FM (I only gave once FM for the day) and I was like wow O.o!!!

Yes my girl also got happened to this b4... but the next day she back to normal :tongue: sumtime even ask every 2hrs... :wacko3:

I used the delaying tactics too. During her 1st 2 months, Jaylene used to drink every 3 hours including at night. Post 2 months old, I delayed her 3am feed by 30mins by changing her diapers, carrying, give her pacifier, etc. for few days till she got used to it. I repeated it again by pushing 3.30am feed to 4am and it went on till I pushed her feeding to 5am and decided to give up and sleep thru till 7am for her morning feed with her last feed at 12 midnite.

Hey moms,

Hi!

yeah... weaning baby from night feed is tough. my peads suggested i try the delay method of delaying each feed later and later... initially my baby would wake up at 3am for her feed. so when she wakes up, i would carry her and sing to her and try to put her back to sleep without feed. initially she was screaming at the top of her lungs but i try to calm her and tell her that it's not time for milk milk yet. go back to sleep. i will try to distract her for as long as possible before giving her a bottle. when i do give her the bottle, i will tell her that it's 4 o'clock now. time for milk milk and this continues on until she gets the message. eventually, she stops waking up at 3am but 4am. sometimes she does wake up at 3am and i would tell her not time yet and she would go back to sleep. once that stabilises, i start the whole process to push to 5am then 6am and 7am or when she wakes up. all in all, it took me abt 1.5-2 months to do that and once everytime we travel outstation, everything screws up and i have to start all over again. but i am happy to share that as of abt 2-3 wks ago, my 1 yo baby has slept thru the night without a single feed and i only give her a bottle when she wakes up.

my sister actually suggested that i wake her at abt midnight to feed her (she did that for her son and daughter and it worked) and that should be sufficient to keep her full until the next morning but unfortunately for me, when i tried that, it did not work but my daughter ended up wanting an extra feed at midnight which she previously did not want. :(

every baby is different so u need to try out a few methods until u find one that works for you. hope this helps :) good luck!

I dont think this method work for my daughter coz she will cry at her max volume until I feed her lor... haha...

Hey moms,

Hi!

I dont think this method work for my daughter coz she will cry at her max volume until I feed her lor... haha...

same here.. wake up only start crying out loud!

Fluene,

ahh okie, so the dreamfeed is less amt.

mmm .. I'm yet introducing sleep thru the night for my gal as she is still too young to go through it.

The best is wait till she is into solid and now I still can managed the night feed as just once between 2am-3am as my pumping at 3am, so just nice =)

wysrinrin,

hahaha .. yalo, next day back to normal night feed again but we actually okie with her night feed, it just that we cannot stand her crankiness when come to sleep, she will surely cari hal before zzz .. sigh .. just that now she is getting better but still cranky @@

Hey moms,

Hi!

Same here too. Cry till the roof gonna collapse.

i think mine can get the champion prize already.

not sure what happened, but these few days, my gal refused to sleep till abt 3am. i am in my zombie mood everyday at work. imagine only 3-4 hours of sleep everyday. i tried not letting her to take her nap for too long in the evening also no use. she can wake up at abt 4pm from her nap and then tahan all the way till 3am in the morning. i can see that she is sleepy, but she just refused to sleep.

i tried all sort of methods, patting her, carrying her, nurse her and even to the extend of letting her watch cartoons but no use. she will wants to be nurse, then stopped, then asked to be carry ard, instructing me to go here, go there then again want to be nurse then everything repeat all over again. she is already 14 mths and i thought by this time kids their age can sleep easily??

previously her sleep patterns are already not good. she will sleep abt 11pm then will wake up 1/2 hour later crying and wants to be nurse to sleep. i am planning to wean her off but now that she is refusing to sleep till the middle of the night, i cant wean her now and i also do not know how to wean her off since she doesn't even like pillows or pacifiers or her thumbs. i am getting more and more exhausted till that i will sometime look at her crying and scolding her. but alas, she doesn't seem to understand that her mommy is very tired... :wacko:

anybody has any good method to totally wean her off and let her sleep through the night? i don't hope for everynight but at least she will be able to sleep for 5-6 hours straight.

You must be very tired venusmaria. Your son ok?

Is your daughter hitting any developing milestone? My elder girl used to wake up and play at 3am too. Then we switched off the light so that it is all dark. Now she can sleep on her own if we off the light

You must be very tired venusmaria. Your son ok?

Is your daughter hitting any developing milestone? My elder girl used to wake up and play at 3am too. Then we switched off the light so that it is all dark. Now she can sleep on her own if we off the light

fluene,

thank god my son still ok. if not, i think the whole family will go crazy..haha. really really tired. yest nite is still the same. woke up from her nap at abt 3 something in the eve then getting cranky towards abt 8 something. i don't want to let her sleep so i dragged it to abt 10pm then let her sleep. BUT slept no more than 1/2 hour she woke up and all the way till 2.30am. i can see that see that she is very tired cos she kept rubbing her eyes and being cranky and all but she just don't want to sleep. she just don't want to sleep by herself. switch off the light, carrying her everything i can think of i already did it. i let her cry and cry and cry but she so long winded, can go on and on until my sis cannot tahan her and play with her but she keep wanting me to carry her. sitting down carrying her also cannot, must stand up.

in the end, i cannot tahan already, so my mom took over and i go to sleep. my mom carry her, play with her and finally slept at 2.30am. :dash2: TGIF today..

i don't know whether she is hitting any milestone. how do we know abt this? hopefully this is just a phase..so envious that yours can sleep by themselves.

Fluene,

ahh okie, so the dreamfeed is less amt.

mmm .. I'm yet introducing sleep thru the night for my gal as she is still too young to go through it.

The best is wait till she is into solid and now I still can managed the night feed as just once between 2am-3am as my pumping at 3am, so just nice =)

wysrinrin,

hahaha .. yalo, next day back to normal night feed again but we actually okie with her night feed, it just that we cannot stand her crankiness when come to sleep, she will surely cari hal before zzz .. sigh .. just that now she is getting better but still cranky @@

Same here...my girl also like that lor~~she must cari pasal before sleep at night :wacko3: ... ya is getting better from month 1 but like what u mentioned still cranky... all my friend told me after 100 days will getting better ....

I remembered during my confinement they all told me after confinement will better & now they said after 100 days will MUCH better... haha~~~ :lol::lol::lol:

wsyrinrin,

hahaha .. so is after confinement or after 100 days!?

Violet's paed said (with his smile which I know he doesn't believe it but to console me =D) is normally after 3 mths but he said some believe after 100 days but then he said it is their milestones that they need to go thru, we just be patience =P

Now she is getting better but still making fuss here and there but at least no more big jom heboh as what her daddy said! hahaha otherwise every night will have jom heboh! =D hahahahah