Sign in to follow this  
fluene

Family of 3 live under flyover

Monday October 25, 2010

Scrap metal collectors get shelter

KUALA LUMPUR: The predicament of homeless scrap metal collectors who have been living under a flyover ended after they received temporary shelter at a youth hostel.

Umno Youth community and complaints bureau head Datuk Mohd Khairun Aseh said efforts are underway to obtain low-cost homes for them.

The couple, Hazmain Abdul Jalil, 28, and his wife Siti Faezah Abu Bakar, 27, live with two others, Chan Chee Wai, 44, and Mohd Hafiz Abdul Aziz, 30, under a flyover located at a slip road near Bandar Tasik Permaisuri in Cheras.

The couple had to move out of an abandoned house in Sungai Besi with their 17-month-old infant, Siti Noor Rafidah, four months ago and have been living under the flyover ever since.

“Our neighbours looked down on us because of the way I earn a living,” said Hazmain.

The couple’s bed is made out of plywood planks. They have constructed a kitchen and a covered shower area.

Asked how he and his family ended up under the flyover, Hazmain said Chan and Mohd Hafiz invited them.

The couple, as well as Chan and Mohd Hafiz, were taken to a youth hostel in Wisma Belia, Jalan Syed Putra by the Umno youth delegation which had earlier treated them to a nasi lemak breakfast.

Mohd Khairun said the bureau will help the couple to get a birth certificate for their daughter, who he said was suffering from health problems because of the living conditions.

The bureau has also received a pledge from the Federal Territories and Urban Well-being Ministry to allocate them a flat.

n_17hazmain.jpg

single.jpg

I am really saddened by this piece of news. They are not the first and definitely will not be the last to suffer from homeless state. What I pity more is their daughter. I'm sure the parents love their baby and wanted to give her the best they can afford. But somehow they are suffering from such poverty. Being a mother myself, I really feel the pain to see a baby growing up in this kind of environment. We tend to give our babies the best we can afford. And what sort of human to look down on a family for being poor and being a scrap metal collector? These people are really heartless.

This kind of news tend to die down after a while. Hopefully the family's live will improve.

I don't know if i should pity them or give them a knocking! If already so poor, why bring a baby into this world and let them suffer the same fate as you.

Sometimes, its hard to be empathatic to these ppl. I have seen many poor families with kids like " langsat ". And they are waiting for hand outs from neighbours and public. IF you cannot afford to take care of them, please STOP producing more !!!! Looks like they are taking advantages of the heart of those good ppl who pity them and offering food and shelter for their kids. Although I sympathise on their kids as they are innocent, I couldn't do the same for their parents.

Another issue which was highlighted in the papers before but I couldnt remember the article and which paper. There are abundant of low income odd jobs which is vacant (mamak stalls, janitors, etc) and no ppl wanna pick those up. Ofc its dirty and slimey and etc... but still an income, nevertheless. Some poor ppl now a days are choosy of their work, just like some fresh grads are choosey when they are job hunting!

But you shouldn't forget that it is against the religion (Islam) to practise family planning or maybe they did, just that accident happens?

i have to agree with Enchant.

In a country like malaysia, jobs are abundant, just that our people are choosy. If you dont hv qualifications and experience, when u are in the best interest of your wife and kids, surely there is a way to live better. Like, dont they hv any relatives? Why did they let them stay in such condition?

Another thing, why didnt the couple get a birth cert for the baby? due to their income? something seems to be missing here

I have done some search and found that the father has been working as scrap metal collector and got arrested by police mistaking him for stealing metal from construction site. He was detained for 3 days before acquitted. He was then fired for absent from work (since he was in detention) and then found another job as cleaner in a shopping mall. The mother worked in a fast food restaurant before and had to stop working after giving birth to the baby. They did try to improve their living. Maybe to some, their effort is not enough but they make do with what they can. As for relatives, in this realistic world, just how many will lend a helping hand to poor relative?

I sympatise with them because I can really feel their poverty. I myself grew up surrounded by poverty although not as extreme as them. I lived in a slum, in illegal land and for years, I lived in fear that our house will be demolished making us homeless. My fear was not baseless. Our neighbours houses got tore down one after another. We were just lucky. Back then, we can't afford electricity and we used oil lamps and water from the forest. When I started school, my parents can't even afford to buy me a school bag. There were countless of times where all my parents had were just RM5! Not a single cent in bank or any other asset. We have many relatives. Did they help? For sure they didn't. We were grateful that the relatives didn't kick us further. You all must be thinking why my parents didn't work harder. Were they choosy of work? Nope, they were not. My mom worked so hard that her back were bent before she turned 40. My siblings and I helped her sewing since we were young. I can sew before I can even read.

Anyway, this is not about me. This is just to show that unfortunate events happen and do not judge a family for their poverty just from the look of it.