Sign in to follow this  
yvonne118

Do you give soft toy to your baby/toddler?

My hubby always said no when I want to buy a soft toy for my son. He said the fur collecting dust and it is not good when my son put it into his mouth. I always heard that, it is good to let them hug a soft toy to sleep, and they will feel more secure when sleep at night. Another reason my hubby said later my son will become sissy after grow up.. =.= which I dont really agree with that. My son is super active and too rough.. he sometimes pull my hair, beat my face, pull my clothes.. throw his toys.. i think he is too rough, maybe introduce soft toy to him will mutulize a bit.. (i hope so) what do you think? Do you give your baby soft toys?

i dont really buy soft toy for my gal. i mean a few would be enough. Agree that the fur may cause allergy to kids and umm.. u gotta wash tht stuff frm time to time. Well, at the moment i think my gal is not a big fan of soft toys as she prefer plastic toys..

Eva has A LOT of soy toys but none with fur. They are all made from fabric - either suede-like or chenille. She has been sleeping with them since she was a baby - at first surrounded by them. Now she'll hug her Baba (sheep soft toy) when she wants to go to bed (helps us a lot because she sleeps on her own and we don't have to do anything, just hand Baba to her, and plop them both in the crib) and sometimes it comes in handy when she needs some comforting (either nightmare or pain from a tumble, etc). We didn't buy them - they were gifts from my in-laws or handknitted/sewn by myself.

I wash them once in a while - Eva is attached to them and will cry if she sees Baba, asks for him and doesn't get him, so we have to plan our washing properly - sometimes it feels like it's a sneak-laundry day. :p

As for the sissy part, I think it's just hearsay and stereotyping. My bbsitter got scolded because Eva's pink cow (she hugs that to sleep at the bbsitter's place) was "borrowed" by the bbsitter's grandson and her son feels that it'll turn the grandson (a 2.5 yo now) into a sissy ("aiya, go out oso want to hold a pink soft toy cow. like girl. ask Eva to take back la."). I think there's nothing wrong with it but then again, that's just me. :)

Mei,

Can show me a photo of the toy u mentioned? "They are all made from fabric - either suede-like or chenille"

ya.. that's the thing now I would like to introduce some soft toy to my boy to comfort him at night.. cause his bed is empty since born.. I think now he is big enough that I can put something in his cot.. a pillow and soft toy.. i put him on his pillow, but end up he will sleep at somewhere else.. :)

It's this toy - Baba - that Eva cuddles to sleep every night or when she is particularly fussy.

3754871809_32f141b0f9.jpg

When she was young, she'd sleep like this with the toy:

3882290645_2bc019b2c6.jpg

You can see her other toy (the pink cow) just at the edge of the photo.

4001074916_9dc0bb45cb.jpg

This is another one that we got (coz she was born in the year of the Cow) and she used to like tasting the limbs:

4157283230_14e90a1c54.jpg

That's the state of her crib when she was 12 mths old - all the toys, nappy (used as a blanket), pillow, and what-not will be kicked aside or everywhere.

4803159125_371bc4cdb6.jpg

For her 1st birthday, I got her a Violet My Pal (see here) by Leapfrog (Scout is for boys) and she loves that - she'd press the paws when she's up from her nap (and don't want to be out) to play either music or some games plus it doubles as a player - plays lullabies for 10 mins.

Thanks Mei, now I understand what kind of fabric u were saying. I also like this kind of fabric, cause it is smoother and nice to touch. The 'My Pal Violet' quite nice also, can put own mp3