Hailey

ROM Dress - color & length

Hi,

I'm new to this. Doing the ROM in Putrajaya by mid-Jan 2011.

Starting to shop around for dresses, bought 2 dresses today but only then got reminded by fiance there seems to be a rule that dresses must fall below knees?

My dress is 2inches above the knee, will that still be okay?

Will wearing stockings be an option to cover up the knee?

My 2nd dress option is a black lacey dress, which is really nice. But my friend was saying that all brides wear white during ROM.

Is it acceptable to wear black?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new to this. Doing the ROM in Putrajaya by mid-Jan 2011.

Starting to shop around for dresses, bought 2 dresses today but only then got reminded by fiance there seems to be a rule that dresses must fall below knees?

My dress is 2inches above the knee, will that still be okay?

Will wearing stockings be an option to cover up the knee?

My 2nd dress option is a black lacey dress, which is really nice. But my friend was saying that all brides wear white during ROM.

Is it acceptable to wear black?

Thanks

Hey Hailey

Entirely up to you lerr... I love black too. I believe it adds a touch of class. But again, it really depends on your parents and in-laws. If they think is not bad luck, then go for it. Don't let the norms of the world dictate what you can and cannot wear. As long as you are happy and your parents and in-laws are fine. Then it's all good! But it definitely must be below knee, cause you're going to a govt office :)

color definitely up to you, me and fiancee will be going with the gray-silver theme on our ROM in March, i will be doing it at Thean Hou temple though....anyway, i am kinda short, so, my dress length is below knee

Will u all keep the ROM dress? Or sell it? I had mine last December. Wearing a simple white satin dress with lace on top. It is very sweet looking. But not suitable for normal wear nor dinner wear. Coz it definately look like a bridesmaid or ROM dress. So I am considering now whether to sell it or to keep it for memory.. What will u girls do?

Will u all keep the ROM dress? Or sell it? I had mine last December. Wearing a simple white satin dress with lace on top. It is very sweet looking. But not suitable for normal wear nor dinner wear. Coz it definately look like a bridesmaid or ROM dress. So I am considering now whether to sell it or to keep it for memory.. What will u girls do?

For me I will probably keep it for memories. :) Mine is kind of like yours, simple white satin dress and a bit plated at the top part :) Maybe can pass it to cousin or niece for some shooting of theirs next time? ;)

hi,

im going to wear shocking pink Chinese brocade with light pink organza cheongsam for my ROM @ JPN Putrajaya this coming March. im not chinese but my fh is. the cheongsam is below knees. Thinking that il be sitting while waiting for our turn to ROM, sitting while signing the cert while in-laws/ relatives, watching, would prefer to wear something decent. taking consideration that, if wear above knees, the dress might getting 2 inch shorter when sit.. sure not going to be comfortable. so it is up to you then. what matter is, will you feel comfortable?

...going to send the fabric to tailor tmw... yeay

good idea... will keep it. but i still hope i can wear it again, but i haven't think of any function that i can wear it. :)

For me I will probably keep it for memories. :) Mine is kind of like yours, simple white satin dress and a bit plated at the top part :) Maybe can pass it to cousin or niece for some shooting of theirs next time? ;)

hi,

im going to wear shocking pink Chinese brocade with light pink organza cheongsam for my ROM @ JPN Putrajaya this coming March. im not chinese but my fh is. the cheongsam is below knees. Thinking that il be sitting while waiting for our turn to ROM, sitting while signing the cert while in-laws/ relatives, watching, would prefer to wear something decent. taking consideration that, if wear above knees, the dress might getting 2 inch shorter when sit.. sure not going to be comfortable. so it is up to you then. what matter is, will you feel comfortable?

...going to send the fabric to tailor tmw... yeay

hi Susan, which tailor you going to? can share contact? am tailoring my ROM dress too.. perhaps can email me at sundaybabe@hotmail.com..thanks!!

There's no certain rules of the color that you must wear on your ROM, I think black is totally fine, I wore a purple one during mine and it was so special everybody had to keep looking.... hehehehe... :blush:

Oh ya, by the way, my ROM was on 080808, so imagine, so many couples were registered on the same day, and everyone is in white? That's so ordinary right?

I'm still keeping my ROM dress, but I only wore once which was on the ROM, lol.... It can definitely be wore casually, but just didn't really get the chance to do so, anyway, I'll definitely choose to keep it instead of selling it away, it's a sweet sweet memory of life right? :wub:

I did my ROM at my Cantonese Association right after my engagement.

I was wearing white satin with pleats. A few months later, I worn it to my friend's lunch reception.

So I think mine is versatile, as long as i can fit in.. ><

I'm thinking of getting short cocktail dress for my ROM. Probably blue or red/pink. White kinda common and I can't wear it for other occasions. :)

Hi fatty, why not you think of custom making your ROM short dress? With the design/pattern/material you like =)

I'm thinking of getting short cocktail dress for my ROM. Probably blue or red/pink. White kinda common and I can't wear it for other occasions. :)

Hi fatty, why not you think of custom making your ROM short dress? With the design/pattern/material you like =)

Hi Kathy, I am not good in design. :p

Fatty, go ahead. Do lotsa fitting and get your best figure showing to the world :lol:

Remember share your dress here with us.

Hi genielee_83, my ROM is in June. Yet to survey any dress. :)

Hi fatty, you can try gogle search some sample designs from the net or from fashion magazines =) Then maybe you would like to 'modify' the top/bottom design to suit your figure. Try ask for the tailor for advise =)

To custom make ur ROM dress, save alot of your time and energy rather than scouting around for ready mades.

Just a suggestion =)

Hi Kathy,

Any recommended tailor? And may I know what is the price range for custom made dress?

Hi fatty, you can try gogle search some sample designs from the net or from fashion magazines =) Then maybe you would like to 'modify' the top/bottom design to suit your figure. Try ask for the tailor for advise =)

To custom make ur ROM dress, save alot of your time and energy rather than scouting around for ready mades.

Just a suggestion =)

i am keeping my ROM dress for other occassion :lol:

My ROM dress is above knee length, after sit down even shorter. It is not so "comfortable" of course, have to jaga jaga especially when sit down lolx, but I really like the dress :wub: my ROM on 11.11.11, a lot of couples will be there, so will be seeing a lot of beautiful brides with nice and different design of dress in the venue hehe..

ROM is a pretty casual affair so i reckon any dress that flatters your figure will be do! of cos some elders will prefer not too revealing dresses, esp if you are holding it in a temple. As for colour, my parents were against black (chinese pantang!) but i didnt mind since i usually wear black cocktail for oth occasions...so for my ROM, i dont mind any wearing the traditional ivory ;)

I wore plain milky-white sleeveless dress with simple pleats on the shoulder for my ROM in Putrajaya in Feb 2009.. It was slightly above knee length.. After ROM, i could still wear the dress to work !! I wore a dark cardigan over it of coz.. I bought the dress from Nichii, rm69.90, hehe..

Amazing sharing of information, thank you for sharing your views about the wedding dress and colors. These will be very useful to the people, those who are going to married. In my opinion dress color is depends on your traditions and locations.