Sign in to follow this  
citylady

1 week CNY at PIL house

I am ok with travelling with plane but not to car ride (above 2 hours) especially festival session where you might stuck in traffic jam and no where to stop your car for diaper change, short-break/walk, feeding etc for young babies. Jaylene's 1st long distance car ride was 1 month ago when she was 18 mths where we drove to penang in a smooth traffic and stopover at Ipoh for meal + few short toilet break. I am still not comfortable driving back to Penang (HB's home town) for this CNY as I do not want Jaylene in the carseat for 7-8 hours car ride no thanks to the potential traffic jam and most likely hard any stopover. Taking a plane is a different story altogether as we can walking up and down the aisle, no toilet break issue, no prob in changing diapers and feeding. Jaylene had a pleasant trip to HK when she was 10 mths old - no fuss, sleep & eat well.

In fact we are not support to place a baby on the carseat for long hours. Read this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1526517.stm.

if your flight is <2 hours ok, but if you have no choice but to resort for >5hrs flight, it might not be the same. Given the choice of taking flight or driving down to JB, i'd prefer driving. Cos even with the flight, you have to check in 2 hours early, and pack loads of stuff for all kinds of 'in case' while if you are driving, and there is an urgent need, you just drive there and get it done. There were times during 7th-8th month, Sanju would fuss alot during the trip, so we made 2-3 stops... walk him around, and then continue.

Traffic jams are another case, for that need proper planning. We prefer to leave the house at 5am to avoid the traffic, and reach home early and fresh.

5 hrs flight still fine and it's better for 5 hrs car ride. We did a 3+ hrs to HK and it's far more pleasant than the 4 hrs drive to Penang. Of course the check-in and check-out process can be rather troublesome for a short distance 1 hr flight. We will be flying to Europe in May and by then Jaylene will be 23 months old, let's hope she will remain an angel but i doubt she will want to walk along the aisle.

For me, the mode of transportation makes no difference. The time, definitely, but after so many trips with Eva, I'm immune already. The preparation is about the same really in terms of the amount of stuff you have to bring - toys, diapers, food, snacks, etc. The problem with a plane is that you certainly can't get off it but if you're talking about distraction, there are stuff you can do with a toddler in tow.

I can share my experience onboard a 12-13 hour direct flight with a two-three hour transit in between, and about a three-five hour car ride multiple times in the span of two weeks if you guys wanna know how it went. :)

Sharon, you can try the kids entertainment on board but you'll need to get Jaylene used to headsets. The next alternative is to bring your iPad and some books/toys/doodle board. Going there isn't really the problem as most babies sleep throughout most of the flight (you'd be leaving at night and arriving in the morning). It's the flight back that is the one coz you'd be leaving Europe during the day and arriving in the morning.

I can share my experience onboard a 12-13 hour direct flight with a two-three hour transit in between, and about a three-five hour car ride multiple times in the span of two weeks if you guys wanna know how it went. :)

yes, please. am taking kiddo to melbourne in 2 months' time to gauge if he's ready (or if im able to manage him on the flight) for the trip to italy by end of the year.