fluene

Healthy Breakfast

My hb's family is notorious for unhealthy food. Every meal consist of brown colored dishes (meat) only. If I am lucky, there's vegetable soups. In the very rare occasion where vegetables are served, they are cooked in tons of oil which I find them not edible. Moreover, they just don't eat fruits. My hb and I have told my MIL and the maid many times to cut down the meat, more veges & fruits, cut down the oil, salt, etc but things still remain the same.

So now, my hb and I will start our healthy food regime in the hope that others will follow. First, I will cook vegetables for dishes (in my own healthy way) for dinner even if it is just for hb and me. Secondly, we will have our breakfast at home instead of outside. I always have breakfast at home which consists of milo and bread. Been having the same breakfast everyday for the past 30 years. My hb used to have breakfast like wan tan mee, roti canai, nasi lemak, etc. In short, Malaysian breakfast (oily).

We want to avoid processed food like sausage and ham as well as canned food like tuna. Want to reduce intake of sugar (cakes, muffins, etc). My hb cannot take much milk as it causes his sinus problem to worsen as well soy products as he has high uric acid as well. So, I am now short of ideas for breakfast. Any ideas, anyone?

omelettes with different vegetable combination...

use omega 3 eggs or 'egg beaters'

some cheese in your omelettes should provide some calcium in your diet as well

i used to bake my own bran muffins to bring to class with me. that was really healthy as you can use less sugar and substitute white bleached flour with wheat flour

eat half a grapefruit with no sugar or a lil' brown sugar sprinkled on the top to finish your breakfast.

on weekdays i eat natural granola bars as breakfast (with lots of nuts and dried fruit). you can make your own granola bars which is healthier

if you have oatmeal for breakfast, you can add sliced roasted almonds, raisins, granola and brown sugar to make it more interesting

I take:

1. quaker oats for my breakfast.. sometimes i add raisin, sometimes i add banana, sometimes i add egg...

2. half boiled eggs dip with bread

or sometimes mum just make me

3. bread with jam

I told my mum tat my diet is very very strict hehe so every monring mum prepares this type of breakfast for me... hehe

on weekdays i eat natural granola bars as breakfast (with lots of nuts and dried fruit). you can make your own granola bars which is healthier

Do you have any granola bars recipe?

Yes u can eat oatmeal everyday, its good for the heart (reduce high cholesterol and heart diseases).

You can vary the way you eat your oatmeal.

3 cups rolled oats

1 cup slivered almonds

1 cup cashews

3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup

1/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_17135,00.html

I take oat porridge every morning except weekends for the past few years as i find it can really fill my stomach so sustain me for good 3-4 hours. You can different favours for the porridge like honey, apple cinnomon, berries, raisin & etc.

My MIL is taking oatmeal every morning. I only take it occasionally. Mine is very boring oats meal drinks (Oat meals + water).

Sometimes bread with egg. But limit egg (yolk) to 3 times a week.

I use to eat tuna for breakfast, but read from somewhere about tuna risk of mercury contamination (especially canned tuna) Nowadays, what seems to be healthy are no longer healthy.

For me, it has always been any one of these:

1) Eggs - scrambled, cheese omelette...

2) Cereals/Muesli with skim milk (here got no skim milk)

3) Biscuits - Iko Iko is DA BOMB!!!!

4) Oats - oats here sucks though; Uncle Toby's French Vanilla Baked Apple was great (available in Sydney)!

5) Juice - mango please

6) Sandwich - multigrain (don't have here...or they are too dry) with roast beef or roast turkey (not available here again)

My hb and I used to eat outside for breakfast but now, we are trying to take at home.

For myself, I took organic drink which consist of:

a) organic oat

B) organic flax seed

c) organic black sesame

d) organic 3 treasures

e) organic brown raw sugar

f) protein powder from Cosway

Everything chuck into the blender, add one cup of warm water and blend. Yummy! I take it everyday except weekends.

As for my hb, I'll prepare 2 half boiled eggs with toasted breads on Mon, Wed & Fri and fried meehoon/mee on Tue, Thu and Sat.

My breakfast these days consists either of

1. A cup of milo/nestum

2. Wheatmeal bread

3. Salads

4. Half boiled eggs

5. Quaker oats

6. Fresh fruits

7. Lemon / Lime juice

Weekdays are like these:

1) bran muffin + coffee, or

2) bagel + coffee, or

3) granola bar + coffee, or

4) oatmeal + coffee

Weekends: freestyle! depends on how i feel in the morning. most of the time is yogurt + fruit, or eggs + vegetarian sausage, egg souffle + tea, or maggi mee :P

hmm...for me, I take Omega Plus(low fat milk powder) with Quicker Oats and 2~3 pcs of the Jacobs high fiber soda biscuits.

I eat that everyday. Sometimes will replace the soda biscuits with 1 slice of bread with kaya or can processed tuna.

nothing special..

Lately, I've been eating organic yogurt a lot as my breakfast.

I sprinkle fruits (blueberries, chopped strawberries, chopped dried apricots, etc) on the yogurt and if it's fat-free yogurt I will add a teaspoon of wild honey on top for flavour.

I also sprinkle granola or multigrain hi-fiber cereal (crunchy) on the yogurt if I feel like it.

I've never thought that I can take yogurt because I am lactose-intolerant. I used to only eat soy yogurt. Somehow my system might have repaired itself so I'm really enjoying eating organic yogurt everyday! I must say that organic yogurt tastes 100 times better than regular yogurt :)

i usually hav 2 slices of bread with my favourite spread on weekdays. i tapau them n eat them in my office. on weekends, i usually hv some cereals (mixed with raisin n sunflower seeds) with cold milk. sometimes i will go for some heavy duty stuffs like noodle or rice. but whenever i hv heavy duty breakfast, i will skip my lunch.

I will take either one for my breakfast.

1. plain porridge

2. fish porridge/chicken porridge/seafood porridge (if I'm at FH's place)

3. bread with butter/jam

4. vege sandwich (if i can wake up early to make for myself)

5. plain biscuit with vico drink

6. cornflakes with milk

Weekdays normally will eat egg mayo sandwich, drink milk or drink Amway protein...

Weekends varies..from bread to dimsum...

Need to eat healthier...

Yes u can eat oatmeal everyday, its good for the heart (reduce high cholesterol and heart diseases).

You can vary the way you eat your oatmeal.

3 cups rolled oats

1 cup slivered almonds

1 cup cashews

3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup

1/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_17135,00.html

yes, i have instant oatmeal almost every morning, mixed with raisins, sunflower & pumpkin seed & 250ml soyabean. If not enough, have wholemeal bread with butter & peanut butter or 2 half boiled eggs. But usually start with having fruit like apple, banana, grapes, mango...

Duno this consider healthy or not but im keep baking diff bun for breakfast la

PICT7437.jpg

My 1st Broccoli Whole Meal Bun (31/05/08)

I juz substitute the flour by whole meal flour since who who who said is more healthier ma:P The little green colour thingy is broccoli lor :lol:

PICT7487.jpg

Cut it half....

PICT7466.jpg

I prepared Mash Potato + Carrot as filling.Its America Potato bot from Jusco. I like to put little bit of butter so tat enhance the taste !:)

PICT7492.jpg

Like this lor, hb and me bring tis to office as breakfast lor.. Taste gud wor... :P

PICT7437.jpg

I juz substitute the flour by whole meal flour since who who who said is more healthier ma:P The little green colour thingy is broccoli lor :lol:

PICT7487.jpg

Cut it half....

PICT7466.jpg

I prepared Mash Potato + Carrot as filling.Its America Potato bot from Jusco. I like to put little bit of butter so tat enhance the taste !:)

PICT7492.jpg

Like this lor, hb and me bring tis to office as breakfast lor.. Taste gud wor... :P

This is healthy, at least it's home made :lol:

juicy honey,

i also substitute whole meal flour for baking. but it turn out aa bit dry. do u do anything else to preserve the moisture?

PICT7437.jpg

PICT7487.jpg

Cut it half....

PICT7466.jpg

PICT7492.jpg

Juicehoney, don't put too much potatoes coz otherwise, it's gonna be carb heavy! :)

Honeylee, most wholemeal bread recipes contain olive oil as well as water. Perhaps you can check & compare your recipe with these.

Weekdays normally will eat egg mayo sandwich, drink milk or drink Amway protein...

Weekends varies..from bread to dimsum...

Need to eat healthier...

Me & hubby have the same breakfast menu with you too :)