Sign in to follow this  
babylyn

Flash cards

Hi everyone,

What are your opinions about flash cards (for babies under a year old)? Has anyone tried it with their babies? I was looking at a website (brillkids) and it shows videos of very young babies recognizing words and/or reading! Amazing. My little girl is turning 6 months old in 2 more days and I'm really excited to try it with her....

I think most mummies will give their baby flash card.

I did that as long as I have the time and try to give her every evening before her sleep

And today just bot 1 baby einstein CD for her

I tried flash cards with Eva - absolutely no interest whatsoever. She prefers to look at real objects and label them. So whenever we go out, I just show her stuff like apple, banana, oranges, etc. She picks up faster that way.

Ling, did you read the report on BB einstein CD a while ago?

whats the issue with BB Einstein CDs?

I bought plenty of flash cards and board books, but he is not that interested.. unless i sing the nursery rhymes out. But I still show the flash cards to him from time to time, good thing is they are pretty hard and not easily destroyed by baby's saliva, so i let him play with it once in a while

Check this two links out - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/24/...in5417254.shtml and http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6891273.ece

People were basically getting refunds from Disney because researchers claim that watching any sort of two is harmful for those under two. See quote from the articles above:

Many academics took the opposite view. One study, published by The Journal of Pediatrics and conducted by researchers at the University of Washington, concluded that for every hour per day spent watching baby DVDs, infants understood on average six to eight fewer words than children who did not watch television. One researcher, Dimitri Christakis, concluded that “the evidence is mounting that [baby-targeted DVDs] are of no value and may in fact be harmful”.

Check this two links out - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/24/...in5417254.shtml and http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6891273.ece

People were basically getting refunds from Disney because researchers claim that watching any sort of two is harmful for those under two. See quote from the articles above:

Many academics took the opposite view. One study, published by The Journal of Pediatrics and conducted by researchers at the University of Washington, concluded that for every hour per day spent watching baby DVDs, infants understood on average six to eight fewer words than children who did not watch television. One researcher, Dimitri Christakis, concluded that "the evidence is mounting that [baby-targeted DVDs] are of no value and may in fact be harmful".

is it correct to say the DVDs less beneficial, than harmful? Saying harmful means like it causes direct immediate damage or something...

funny the DVDs are still being sold locally... Disney decided to continue making money where people are not concerned

Well, I was quoting the researcher and while it may not be immediate, there are harmful effects from watching TV at such a young age especially on the eyesight.

It's just a play on words, IMHO - what counts is that at the end of the day, TV is not meant as a short-cut to taking care of children or educating them (not referring to anyone here ya? I just happen to know of some people who think that the TV is the teacher, parent and babysitter - gah). There were reports that were quick to note that these CDs are only effective if the parent is involved. For me, if that's the case, I might as well not get the CD - save money. :p

Well, I was quoting the researcher and while it may not be immediate, there are harmful effects from watching TV at such a young age especially on the eyesight.

It's just a play on words, IMHO - what counts is that at the end of the day, TV is not meant as a short-cut to taking care of children or educating them (not referring to anyone here ya? I just happen to know of some people who think that the TV is the teacher, parent and babysitter - gah). There were reports that were quick to note that these CDs are only effective if the parent is involved. For me, if that's the case, I might as well not get the CD - save money. :p

i agree... i believe tv can be one of the medium, but not the only one.. anyways i am sure mothers are aware. And i dont think toddlers will sit quietly watching tv just like that, at least mine wont!

Mine doesn't even like TV or at least that's the case when we're at home - she prefers to play with stuff at home, her books, her other toys, etc, etc. At the bbsitter, now that one, I close my eyes to it. So far, only sign of her liking anything is the cartoon Lady & The Tramp and even then, someone has to watch it with her (she'll go "dog dog dog dogggggg", "bird bird bird" and when they start the singing, she'll start moving and swaying). :P

I started baby early education program when my son was 16 months. It is Glenn Doman method. He is just 36 months old and he can read the basic english and chinese books. The English book like Peter and Jane 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b,2c, 3a series. Highly recommended. It takes less than 30 minutes daily to perform the flash cards to your baby. It is very amazing!

You can visit http://www.seababyprogram.com for enquiry