Sign in to follow this  
stpeiyee

New Aviation Security Measures

New Aviation Security Measures at Singapore Changi Airport and Seletar Airport

This is wat I get from Changi Airport website. You all can get more detailed info in New Guidelines on Aerosols, Liquids n Gels in Hand Carry Luggage

Introduction

Singapore is implementing new aviation security measures for hand-carry luggage on flights departing Singapore from 8 May 2007 (Tuesday), 1200 hrs.

These measures are in line with the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) recommendations, made after the reported United Kingdom aviation terror plot in August 2006 and following the latest recommendations on these restrictions issued by ICAO on 30 March 2007.

New Guidelines on Hand-Carry Luggage

From 8 May 2007, 1200 hrs, Singapore is implementing new guidelines that restrict the amount of Liquids, Aerosols and Gels that passengers can carry in their hand-carry luggage. The guidelines apply to all flights departing Singapore.

Passengers are advised to check-in all Liquids, Aerosols and Gels(LAGs) that do not meet the new guidelines. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in hand-carry luggage should be packed in accordance with the new guidelines, before passengers arrive at the airport.

The new guidelines on hand-carry luggage are :

a. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels must be in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each. Liquids, aerosols and gels in containers larger than 100ml will not be accepted, even if the container is partially-filled;

b. Containers must be placed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag with a maximum capacity not exceeding 1-litre. These containers must fit comfortably within the transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed;

c. Each passenger is allowed to carry only one transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be presented separately for examination at the security screening point;

d. Exemptions will be made for medications, baby food and special dietary items. These items will be subjected to additional checks at the security screening point.

Passengers are encouraged to check in 2 to 3 hours before their flight (subject to airlines' requirements).

Liquids include :

Drinks, including water and juices

Soups and sauces

Perfumes and deodorants (liquid or liquid-solid mixture)

Creams, balms, lotions and oils

Cosmetics such as mascara and lip gloss

Pastes, including toothpaste

Pressurised foams and sprays, including shaving foam, hairspray and spray deodorants

Gels, including hair and shower gels

Contact lens solution

Any other items of similar consistency

LAGs in container with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml capacitymore100mluq9.th.gif

Less than 100ml of LAGs in containers larger than 100ml lags100mldo9.th.gif

LAGs containers that fit comfortably in 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag acc1litretransparentoi5.th.gif

LAGs containers in 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag that cannot be completely closed uacc1litretransparenwd8.th.gif

Tamper-evident bag acctamperevidentbagab6.th.gif

Torn tamper-evident bag uacctampereevidentbagwr9.th.gif

Shopping at Singapore Changi Airport

Most passengers can continue to purchase Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items, such as liquor and perfumes, at Changi Airport. Such purchases will be placed in sealed tamper-evident bags by the shops, with the receipt clearly displayed in the sealed bags.

Passengers who are transferring or transiting at other airports should check the restrictions applicable at those airports.

Please check with shop staff for details.

Shops Within Public Areas

Passengers who purchase Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items from shops within Changi Airport’s Public Areas should place the items into their check-in luggage prior to checking in for their flight.

Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items that are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each may be placed in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed, to be hand carried. If the item purchased is not essential for the flight, passengers are advised to place these items in their check-in luggage.

Shops Within Transit Malls

Most passengers can continue to purchase Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items, such as liquor, wine, beer, perfumes and cosmetics (including creams/lotions/gels), at shops located within Changi Airport’s Transit Malls. Such purchases will be placed in sealed tamper-evident bags provided by the shops, with the receipt clearly displayed in the sealed bags.

If the items are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each, passengers may place these items in their 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag,which must be completely closed, to be hand carried.

Passengers who are transferring or transiting at other airports should check the restrictions applicable at those airports.

Please check with Changi Airport shop staff for details.

Frequently Asked Questions

I. New Security Measures

Q1.What are the new measures?

The new measures restrict the amount of Liquids, Aerosols and Gels (LAGs) that passengers can carry in hand-carry luggage on all flights departing from Changi Airport and Seletar Airport. The new guidelines on hand carry luggage are :

a. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels must be in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in containers larger than 100ml will not be accepted, even if the container is partially-filled;

b. Containers must be placed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag with a maximum capacity not exceeding 1-litre. These containers must fit comfortably within the transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed;

c. Each passenger is allowed to carry only one transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be presented separately for examination;

d. Exemptions will be made for medications, baby food and special dietary items. These items will be subjected to additional checks at the security screening point.

Q2.Why are new security measures being implemented?

The new security measures are in line with the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) recommendation made after the reported United Kingdom (UK) aviation terror plot in August 2006.

Though there is currently no specific threat against civil aviation in Singapore, the UK incident underlines how real and continuing the global terrorist threat is. Singapore supports the recommendation as this will enhance the safety and security of the airports and its users.

Q3.Do the new measures apply to both arriving and departing flights and at which airports in Singapore?

The new measures apply to departing flights only and will be implemented at Changi Airport and Seletar Airport.

Q4.When will the new measures be implemented?

The new measures will be implemented on 8 May 2007 (Tuesday), 1200 hrs.

Q5.How long will the new measures be in force?

The new measures will be in force for as long as they are necessary.

II. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels (LAGs)

Q1.What are considered Liquids, Aerosols and Gels?

Liquids, Aerosols and Gels include :

Drinks, including water and juices

Soups and sauces

Perfumes and deodorants (liquid or liquid-solid mixture)

Creams, balms, lotions and oils

Cosmetics such as mascara and lip gloss

Pastes, including toothpaste

Pressurised foams and sprays, including shaving foam, hairspray and spray deodorants

Gels, including hair and shower gels

Contact lens solution

Any other items of similar consistency

III. Containers in 1-Litre Transparent Re-Sealable Plastic Bags

Q1. My tube of cream weighs 67g. Is this the equivalent of 67ml?

Where reasonable, we will approximate 67g to 67ml.

Q2. What types of containers are allowed? Are coloured or opaque containers allowed?

There is no restriction on the types of containers. Coloured or opaque containers are allowed. The restriction is on the capacity of the containers, which must not be more than 100ml each.

Q3. Do Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items need to be in their original containers?

No. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items can be re-packed into other containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each.

Q4. Is there a restriction on the number of containers that can be carried in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag?

No. However, the containers must fit comfortably within the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed. The excess containers (with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each) with Liquids, Aerosols and Gels that cannot fit comfortably within the bag will not be allowed onboard the flight. Passengers will have to dispose of such items.

Q5. Can I carry Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in containers larger than 100ml if there is less than 100ml of Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in the containers?

No. All Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items must be stored in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each.

Q6. What will happen to my Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items in containers larger than 100ml?

Passengers should pack their Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items in containers larger than 100ml, in their check-in luggage. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items in containers larger than 100ml will not be allowed in hand-carry luggage and passengers have to dispose of such items before the security screening point. It is therefore advisable that passengers only pack Liquids, Aerosols and Gels which are essential for the flight in their hand-carry luggage, according to the guidelines listed at Section I, and pack all other Liquids, Aerosols and Gels into their check-in luggage before they check-in for their flight.

Q7. Can I carry empty bottles onboard my flight, even if the bottle’s capacity is more than 100ml?

Yes, empty bottles can be carried onboard the flight.

IV. 1-Litre Transparent Re-Sealable Plastic Bag

Q1.What type of bag is accepted?

Only transparent re-sealable plastic bags with a maximum capacity not exceeding 1-litre, such as Ziploc bags, will be accepted.

Q2.How does a 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag look like?

An indicative size of the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag would be approximately 20cm X 20cm or 15cm X 25cm, or equivalent.

Q3.What if my bag has a logo or motif on it?

The bag will be accepted as long as the logo or motif does not obstruct a clear view of its contents.

Q4.Can I use an ordinary plastic bag and tie a knot to seal it?

No. To facilitate screening,only transparent re-sealable plastic bags with a maximum capacity not exceeding 1-litre, such as Ziploc bags, will be accepted.

Q5. I am travelling with my baby. Is my baby also entitled to bring onboard one 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag? Can I present 2 such bags at the security screening point, one for myself and one for my baby?

Yes, passengers and their babies are each entitled to one 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag.

Q6.Where can I purchase a 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag?

Such bags are readily available at supermarkets and convenience shops in Singapore.

Q7.What if I arrive at Changi Airport without a 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag?

Passengers who arrive at Changi Airport without such a 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag can purchase it from :

Public Areas : Supermarkets located at the basement level of Terminal 1 and Terminal 2

Transit Malls : Convenience shops located at level 2 of Terminal 1 and level 3 of Terminal 2

Passengers may approach the customer service counters or airport staff for directions to the supermarkets/convenience shops.

Q8.Where will passengers have to display their 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bags for security inspection?

Passengers will have to display their 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bags separately from their hand-carry luggage for examination at the security screening point at the boarding gate.

Q9.Will the airport authority/airlines at Changi Airport provide passengers with the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bags if they do not have such a bag?

Passengers carrying Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items in their hand-carry luggage are advised to pack these containers (with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each) in a 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, before they arrive at Changi Airport. Such bags are readily available at supermarkets and convenience shops in Singapore or at Changi Airport (both Public Areas and Transit Malls).

V. Exemptions for Medications, Baby Food and Special Dietary Items

Q1.Are there any exemptions to the new restrictions on carriage of Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in hand-carry luggage?

Exemptions will be made for medications, baby food and special dietary items in Liquids, Aerosols and Gels form. These items will be subjected to additional checks at the security screening point.

Q2.What are the exemptions for medications in Liquids, Aerosols and Gels form?

Medications in Liquids, Aerosols and Gels form, such as insulin, cough syrups and nasal sprays, will be exempted from the new restrictions. Such items should be taken in quantities that are sufficient for the flight.

A doctor’s letter or prescription, while not mandated, would be helpful in facilitating the security screening process.

If the medications are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml, passengers are encouraged to place the containers in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag. If this is not possible or if the medications are in containers larger than 100ml, the medications will be subjected to further checks at the security screening point. Passengers may also be asked to taste their medications.

Q3.What are the exemptions for baby food in Liquids, Aerosols and Gels form?

Baby foods in Liquids, Aerosols and Gels form, such as milk, juice and porridge, will be exempted from the restrictions, if there is a baby travelling with the adult passenger. Such items should be taken in quantities that are sufficient for the flight.

If the baby food is in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml, passengers are encouraged to place these containers in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag. If this is not possible or if the baby food is in containers larger than 100ml, the baby food will be subjected to further checks at the security screening point. The baby must also be present at the security screening point. Passengers may also be asked to taste the baby food.

Q4.Is there a restriction on the amount of baby milk powder that can be carried in hand-carry luggage?

No. Milk powder is not considered a Liquids, Aerosols and Gels item.

Q5. Can I carry hot water in a flask to prepare baby food?

Yes. Hot water will be allowed for carriage in a flask if there is a baby travelling with the adult passenger, even though hot water should be available from the airline onboard the flight. The hot water should be taken in quantities that are sufficient for the flight. It will also be subjected to further checks at the security screening point.

Q6.What are the exemptions for special dietary items in Liquids, Aerosols and Gels form?

Exemptions will be made for special dietary items in Liquids, Aerosols and Gels form for passengers with special dietary requirements. Such special dietary items are food without which the passenger’s health is threatened. They should be taken in quantities that are sufficient for the flight.

A doctor’s letter or prescription, while not mandated, would be helpful in facilitating the security screening process.

If the dietary items are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each, passengers are encouraged to place the containers in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag. If this is not possible or if the special dietary items are in containers larger than 100ml, the items will be subjected to further checks at the security screening point. Passengers may also be asked to taste the special dietary items, if necessary.

VI. Shopping at Singapore Changi Airport

Q1.Can I bring Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items purchased at Changi Airport’s shops onboard my flight?

Shops Within Public Areas

Passengers who purchase Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items from shops within Changi Airport’s Public Areas should place the items into their check-in luggage prior to checking in for their flight. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items that are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each may be placed in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed, to be hand carried. If the item purchased is not essential for the flight, passengers are advised to place these items in their check-in luggage.

Shops Within Transit Malls

Most passengers can continue to purchase Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items, such as liquor, wine, beer, perfumes and cosmetics (including creams/lotions/gels), at shops located within Changi Airport’s Transit Malls. Such purchases will be placed in sealed tamper-evident bags provided by the shops, with the receipt clearly displayed in the sealed bags.

If the items are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each, passengers may place these items in their 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed, to be hand carried.

Passengers have to dispose of all Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items, that do not meet the new guidelines on hand-carry luggage, before the security screening point.

Please check with Changi Airport shop staff for details.

Q2.Do passengers have to pay for the tamper-evident bags?

No. The tamper-evident bags will be provided by the shops.

Q3.Can I bring my own tamper-evident bag?

No. Only sealed tamper-evident bags provided by airport shops can be brought onboard the flight. In addition, the receipt issued by airport shops must be clearly displayed in the sealed bag.

Q4. Can passengers purchase the tamper-evident bags from shops at Changi Airport for their own use?

No. Tamper-evident bags are controlled by the shops and are to be used only for their Liquids, Aerosols and Gels merchandise.

Q5. Must Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items placed in sealed tamper-evident bags be removed from their boxes?

No, the items do not need to be removed from their boxes.

Q6. Will Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items sold at airport shops located at the Arrival Transit Mall be packed in sealed tamper-evident bags?

No, only Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items sold at the airport shops located in the Departure Transit Mall will be packed in sealed tamper-evident bags.

Q7.Can passengers purchase the tamper-evident bags from shops at Changi Airport for their own use?

No. Tamper-evident bags are controlled by the shops and are to be used only for their Liquids, Aerosols and Gels merchandise.

Q8.If I am transferring or transiting at Changi Airport, will my Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items purchased at other airports be accepted at Changi Airport? Will I be allowed to bring these items onboard my flight?

Passengers (*except those travelling to Australia, the US or on Northwest Airlines or United Airlines) will be allowed to bring Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items in containers larger than 100ml onboard their flight if these items are placed in sealed tamper-evident bags with the receipt clearly displayed in the sealed bag. The receipt must show the date of purchase, item(s) purchased, name of the shop and the name of the airport.

*Passengers travelling to Australia, the US or on Northwest Airlines or United Airlines should note that these destinations/airlines have imposed their own specific requirements and may not allow all transfer/transit passengers to carry Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items purchased from foreign airports as their hand-carry luggage onto connecting flights, even if the Liquids, Aerosols and Gels purchased are placed in sealed tamper-evident bags.

If the items purchased are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each, they can be placed in a 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed, to be hand carried.

Passengers have to dispose of all Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items that do not meet the above requirements, before the security screening point.

Q9.If I am transferring or transiting at another airport, will my Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items purchased at Changi Airport be accepted at the other airport?

Singapore’s implementation of the restrictions on carriage of Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in hand-carry luggage is in line with ICAO’s recommendation. In this regard, States that have similarly implemented ICAO’s guidelines should recognise Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items purchased at Changi Airport.

However, some States may have their own specific requirements and may not allow all transfer/transit passengers to carry Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items purchased from foreign airports as their hand-carry luggage onto connecting flights, even if the Liquids, Aerosols and Gels purchases are placed in sealed tamper-evident bags. Passengers who are transferring or transiting at other airports should check with their airlines or Changi Airport shop staff for more details.

Q10. Will my Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items purchased onboard my flight be accepted?

Passengers (*except those travelling to Australia, the US or on Northwest Airlines or United Airlines) who have an onward flight from Singapore will be allowed to bring Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items that were purchased onboard their earlier flight if these items are placed in sealed tamper-evident bags with the receipt clearly displayed in the sealed bag. The receipt must show the date of purchase, item(s) purchased, name of the shop and the name of the airport.

*Passengers travelling to Australia, the US or on Northwest Airlines or United Airlines should note that these destinations/airlines have imposed their own specific requirements and may not allow all transfer/transit passengers to carry Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items purchased from foreign airports as their hand-carry luggage onto connecting flights, even if the Liquids, Aerosols and Gels purchased are placed in sealed tamper-evident bags.

If the items purchased are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each, they can be placed in a 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed, to be hand carried.

Passengers have to dispose of all Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items that do not meet the above requirements, before the security screening point.

VII. Others

Q1.How can I ensure a smooth transition through the security screening points?

To facilitate their check-in and security screening processes, passengers are advised to pack all Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items appropriately before arriving at the airport. Essentially, passengers should pack all Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items not required during their flight in their check-in luggage. Liquids, Aerosols and Gels items required during the flight should be packed in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each and placed in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag. If passengers are unsure of any item, they are advised to pack it in their check-in luggage.

Passengers are encouraged to check in for their flight 2 to 3 hours before their flight (subject to airlines' requirements).

At the security screening point, passengers should promptly present their 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag for examination by security screening staff. All items exempted from the restrictions, such as medications, baby food and special dietary items, as well as any supporting documentation, should also be promptly presented for security checks.

Guidelines at Other Destinations/by Airlines

As at 7 May 2007

The following guidelines on liquids, aerosols and gels are set out at other destinations and/or by airlines. Please check with your respective airlines for further details.

a. Australia or the US

The restrictions apply to flights to and from Australia and the US.

Passengers are only allowed to carry liquids, gels and/or aerosols in containers of 100 ml (3.4 ounce) or less in their hand-carry luggage. These containers must be packed in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of not more than 1 litre (quart-size) in capacity. Passengers should check-in liquids, gels and/or aerosols beyond the quantity allowed.

b. Air India, Air India Express, Northwest Airlines or United Airlines

The restrictions apply to all flights on Air India, Air India Express, Northwest Airlines and United Airlines.

Passengers are only allowed to carry liquids, gels and/or aerosols in containers of 100 ml (3.4 ounce) or less in their hand-carry luggage. These containers must be packed in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of not more than 1 litre (quart-size) in capacity. Passengers should check-in liquids, gels and/or aerosols beyond the quantity allowed.

c. Canada, China, European Union1 Member States, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Maldives, Mauritius, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan or Vietnam

The restrictions apply to flights departing from the above mentioned destinations.

d. India

The restrictions apply to flights departing from India.

Passengers are not allowed to carry any liquids, gels and/or aerosols in their hand-carry luggage. Passengers travelling on these flights should check-in all liquids, gels and/or aerosols in their checked-in baggage.

Note : 1 European Union Member States include Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

yes, it's getting stricter in the European airports, even smaller ones like Stansted/Luton. Please be there earlier as the queue at security checks are just horrendous.

Buy it yourself? In NL, they provide at check-in counters woh....shouldnt be at any cost to the passengers leh. we pay airport tax anyway...

I WISH!!! Free bags? Nothing is free in the "land of the free" ... Americans are such capitalists!!! :D

They provided in Boston Logan airport and NYC JFK airport. I had those skincare, they just gave me the bags and put them in and sealed it for me....I believe not every airport does that.

SS

it's very clear dat in SIN, the bag will not b provided wor... perhaps i will just stock up some at home.

forgot to mention it's FREE from watson's. Perhaps only watson's airport la. coz u know why, in HK, they provide the measurement for the bag too!

I lurvvveee HK for their efficiency. These ppl are really on top of things and I feel that, although they do assume i'm an indon/filipino maid, i really like how the country (now state) is run.

I was in Stansted recently. There was this lady in front me who didnt know about the new regulation. The security officer soooo nice, she emptied her handbag, went through each item (the lady had lotsa makeup items, some I didnt even hear of before :P) and explained which ones need to be bagged and which ones she definitely have to check-in or discard at the counter.

All the while the officer was smiling and joking lightly with the lady. And I thought Brits are not well-known for thier customer service...hehe.