jessie

Food for different pregnancy stages (is there such?)

Hi, I would like to know if there are food to avoid during different stages of pregnancy.

For example, during the first trimester, no spicy food (not good for me as I am a big fan of spicy food). :ohmy:

But then it is okay to have that at a later stage. :cool:

Hope you can help me to name a few food to avoid during stages pregnancy.

Thanks.

I think the food to avoid is pretty much the same throughout the whole pregnancy: raw fish, unpasteurized milk/cheese, etc

Spicy food is fine throughout the whole pregnancy.

my MIL say just eat anything and everything you want as long as in moderation and dont go overboard. If got pregnancy cravings still need to satisfy it irregardless. She is the modern type infact she tells hubby to let me eat what i want and dont control me as being a mom my body will know what is good for me and what is not.

like for article which mention some women the cravings as a way to show what is lacking in the body and our body tells the brain what to crave for so that we get that particular vitamin in our body.

i do trust my instinct and my body.

like for article which mention some women the cravings as a way to show what is lacking in the body and our body tells the brain what to crave for so that we get that particular vitamin in our body.

i do trust my instinct and my body.

i go agreed with this.. when i was pregant with my 2nd baby, out of sudden i got tired with meat.

I just want to eat vege hehe

No raw meat or fish, no unpasteurised milk or anything made from such things, no raw eggs and preferably avoid eating salads that you don't make yourself. This is so you minimize the risk of catching things like e.coli, listeria, etc - all of which can be harmful for your fetus/baby.

Other than that, if you don't believe in those old wives tales, eat anything you like but in moderation. While I do believe in listening to your body's cravings, I'd only stick to it if it's healthy or practical cravings. Fast food every day IS NOT healthy even tho your body craves it.

Also, studies have shown that what you eat can be tasted by the baby via the amniotic fluid and it gets baby accustomed to various tastes which will continue on in BFing and then when you start solids so being picky now is not a good idea.

No raw meat or fish, no unpasteurised milk or anything made from such things, no raw eggs and preferably avoid eating salads that you don't make yourself. This is so you minimize the risk of catching things like e.coli, listeria, etc - all of which can be harmful for your fetus/baby.

Other than that, if you don't believe in those old wives tales, eat anything you like but in moderation. While I do believe in listening to your body's cravings, I'd only stick to it if it's healthy or practical cravings. Fast food every day IS NOT healthy even tho your body craves it.

Also, studies have shown that what you eat can be tasted by the baby via the amniotic fluid and it gets baby accustomed to various tastes which will continue on in BFing and then when you start solids so being picky now is not a good idea.

Hi Meiteoh, aishiteru, ashandrea and skye,

thanks for the input :cool:

Ever since i heard no spicy food cause of the heat, my heart sank when i passed by curry, or belacan. Even durian(my fav) I avoided cause of the heat. :ohmy:

Will try go with moderation. :cool:

I dun wan bb to become picky too. :wub:

I actually ate ALOT of spicy food during my pregnancy, esp nasi lemak with extra sambal - used to have it 3-4 times a week, haha.

I actually ate ALOT of spicy food during my pregnancy, esp nasi lemak with extra sambal - used to have it 3-4 times a week, haha.

:cool:

So envyyyyyyyy. also my super fav

Jessie,

Just eat la...I'm also taking spicy food, at least once every week.

But if you have heatburn, then you should avoid taking spicy food all the time.

Like the others said, moderate lo, don't over-do it :wink:

As for durians, again moderation is key. Too much and there's risk of gestational diabetes.

Same here - I ate A LOT of spicy food as well. No issues...although if you're prone to heartburn, you may have to cut down on this. :p

babe,

you know when my doc told me i'm pregnant 1st question i ask is what are the things i should avoid and her answer is :

1) no durian or coconut coz too heaty

- BUT i had durian dinner (so its alot of durian) just a week before with many coconuts to cool myself down

2) dont walk on stairways

- on that day before i went to see doc, my office lift rosak so had to walk down 3 storey

3) No exercise esp those taxing ones

- Ran 5km for the 1st time in my life few days back.

4) Spicy food

- had all the curry/sambals for few weeks as i love nasi lemak and curry chicken. MIL also cook curry chicken at home all the time too.

5) not moving furnitures

- prior to my wedding i had to move everything in and out of my room and rearrange stuff so that i have space for the wedding day itself for photoshoots and etc.

she also listed down few things that i'm not suppose to do but I did just weeks before I found out I'm pregnant anyway. To me some things cannot follow 100% just do everything in moderation and knows how to take care of yourself, when to stop and listen to your body thats the most important part.

Just to share my experience here also.. "chan yit lau" ma.. hehe.. erm, dont ban me, coz i wana say this: dont be kiasu and avoid this or that during pregnancy, except those really really standard ones like raw meat/fish/eggs, etc..

I had tuna sandwiches everyday for 6 months during my pregnancy. I only got to know tuna is not so good as it has mercury content, dont eat too often, my SIL only told me that when i was 8th month's preggers !! but i ate for 6 months already every morning, sigh..

then about sai-yeong choy soup (water crest) and low-wong-kua soup (old cucumber), people say it's very leong, better dont drink it.. and again, i only got to know after my 5th month pregnancy.. imagine i drink sai-yeong-choy soup in my 1st tri !!! but thank god, nothing happened..

ok, next, about moving house.. i move house in the middle of my pregnancy.. of coz my hubby dealt with the contractors and kautim the furniture and all, i only pack my clothes and "move" into the house and start staying there..

like u all say, eat in moderation lor.. to get the taste if u really "gian" the food (i had sips of Shandy during CNY 2011 timmm, and i still took cold soft drinks, curi curi eat ice cream througout the pregnancy, but after that, kiasu faster gulp down hot-hot water to "compensate" for the cold stuff i've had, duhhhh)...

I don't believe in cold/heatyfood so I just eat loh ...

About moving furniture, my hubby was so china pek about it :lol:

He insisted that we don't do up the baby's room based on pantang larang, as people say no moving furniture around. Also refused to drill holes in the wall to hang picture frames. It didn't really impact me so I didn't care about it.

This is the funny part ...

During wk 39, we finally fixed together the baby cot.

He couldn't carry it by himself back to the bedroom as it's 20kg.

Guess who had to help him carry the super heavy cot together even though I was going to pop just a few days later :lol: