june11

1 year 7 months still waking up for milk

Hi all :)

My baby boy 1 year 7 month still request for milk at 4-5am everyday...His last bottle of formula milk drink at 10:30pm (8-9oz).

I know majority baby of this age can sleep till morning without need to drink...any minority's mom like me can share your experience? I am really curios WHEN he can sleep till morning without needing to drink milk... :bye:

Please share please share.

Best Regards,

June11

I think it has become a habit rather than he really feel hungry. Try feed him more during day time and slowly train him to not wanting milk in early morning. If he wakes up at 5am, then give him milk maybe 15 or 30 minutes later each night. Slowly you will be able to stretch it to the morning

I think it has become a habit rather than he really feel hungry. Try feed him more during day time and slowly train him to not wanting milk in early morning. If he wakes up at 5am, then give him milk maybe 15 or 30 minutes later each night. Slowly you will be able to stretch it to the morning

i also feel the same.. it is a habit..my son has a habit of drinking at 630am.. cos we been giving him everyday, and now that we dont wake up that early, we still need to feed him that time...

maybe try to make him sleep back if he wakes at 5am? otherwise try to reduce the milk quantity little by little?

thats why im opened up a topic "training a baby to avoid night feeding"... i wish to train my baby too, but just about 3mths, a bit heartpain to see him empty stomach for 8-9hrs... but some aunty told me have to be cruelness to him... just feed him some water and give him pacifier... i read many articles said so too, but i am still night feeding him... i also dilemma, feed or not feed him...?? sigh :dash2:

any mama had train her baby? kindly share. tq

kaiekai, the feeding schedule for a 3 mth old cannot be taken to be the same for a toddler - different age group has different nutritional intake and requirements. Your baby is still young so best to still feed him at night.

thats why im opened up a topic "training a baby to avoid night feeding"... i wish to train my baby too, but just about 3mths, a bit heartpain to see him empty stomach for 8-9hrs... but some aunty told me have to be cruelness to him... just feed him some water and give him pacifier... i read many articles said so too, but i am still night feeding him... i also dilemma, feed or not feed him...?? sigh :dash2:

initially i was like any mum whom listen to oldies (like my mom and mil...) for try to wean bb from nite feeding...

my bb was really wake up every 1-2 hrs like that for feeding during his 1st 2 mth... frankly, quite tiring for mummy and daddy....

then lately he start for not wake up that frequent for nite feeding already.... he can sleep through 4-7 hrs without waking up for milk...

he is 2 1/2 mth now... so i think each bb will gradually change their feeding pattern... but of course every bb is different lar...

anyway.... why must wean bb from nite feeding... what if he/she is really hungry and he/she indeed need it...??

agree with mei...

we shouldn't apply 'weaning from nite feeding' on infant/bb...

me stupid for once really think about it... haha.

Hi June, what time and what do you feed your son prior to the bottle feed at 10.30? At his age, he can be eating more solids. For my first, we have been feeding him some solids, rice with soup, veges, fruits or even some bread / bisquit about 7.00 pm - 8.30 pm and he has his last feed (about 5 oz) and can last until next morning.

Not sure whether it works for you.

initially i was like any mum whom listen to oldies (like my mom and mil...) for try to wean bb from nite feeding...

my bb was really wake up every 1-2 hrs like that for feeding during his 1st 2 mth... frankly, quite tiring for mummy and daddy....

then lately he start for not wake up that frequent for nite feeding already.... he can sleep through 4-7 hrs without waking up for milk...

he is 2 1/2 mth now... so i think each bb will gradually change their feeding pattern... but of course every bb is different lar...

anyway.... why must wean bb from nite feeding... what if he/she is really hungry and he/she indeed need it...??

true avolet... what if he/she is really hungry and he/she indeed need it... feel heartpain when not feeding him... im glad that is still night feeding him... it worth to be tired though...

kaiekai, the feeding schedule for a 3 mth old cannot be taken to be the same for a toddler - different age group has different nutritional intake and requirements. Your baby is still young so best to still feed him at night.

agree with Mabel...

i know it can get nerve racking while it lasts, but dont worry your infant will soon sleep better.. in the meantime its better to provide them with their feedings... i was also in your place like 1 yr ago and was busy finding out solution when i realised, there is no short cut :)

Thanks for your sharing!

Recently he needs to drink a lot dunno why...

As for today, he had his porridge at 7:30pm, then a bit of rice with us, then 10:00pm 1/2 slice of bread, 10:30pm 8oz of milk before sleep, not enough, add another 3 oz (more diluted milk), not enough some more, crying ...then I just forced him to go sleep. Just now woke up at 2:45am, gave him 7oz, sleep back..... ><

I don't mind midnight feed if he is really hungry..

I was, too believed he SHOULD sleep through by 6 month old (According to books-lah) BUT he woke up every 2-3 hours midnight (that time I still breast-fed him)

Now I just can't help by wondering are they STILL going to wake up for milk by the age of 2, 3 ??? :ph34r:

Thanks for your sharing!

As for today, he had his porridge at 7:30pm, then a bit of rice with us, then 10:00pm 1/2 slice of bread, 10:30pm 8oz of milk before sleep, not enough, add another 3 oz (more diluted milk), not enough some more, crying ...then I just forced him to go sleep. Just now woke up at 2:45am, gave him 7oz, sleep back..... ><

I was, too believed he SHOULD sleep through by 6 month old (According to books-lah) BUT he woke up every 2-3 hours midnight (that time I still breast-fed him)

Now I just can't help by wondering are they STILL going to wake up for milk by the age of 2, 3 ??? :ph34r:

i remember asking the paed during our 1st month visit, when is baby going to sleep throughout the night.. he told give it 2-3 months... but it took 1 yr for us... so there is no definite answer

Thanks for your sharing!

i remember asking the paed during our 1st month visit, when is baby going to sleep throughout the night.. he told give it 2-3 months... but it took 1 yr for us... so there is no definite answer

qarezma, you mean the paed said babies will auto sleep thru the night by themselves by around 2-3 months?

Most websites I read says baby will sleep through at 6 months onwards. Not really the case la. My baby was sleeping through some time ago but now she keeps crying in her sleep. She doesn't wake up or anything, just cries so I'll have to wake up and calm her down before putting her off to bed. Sometimes it goes on for 3-4 times a night which can be tiring. anyway, my ped suggested to give the baby water instead of milk feed if he/she wakes up anytime in between during bed time. The other day she woke up crying around 3ish, I decided to give her some water and it seemed to work. Maybe you can try that? My ped also said morning feed anytime from 5.am onwards is fine....

Most websites I read says baby will sleep through at 6 months onwards. Not really the case la. My baby was sleeping through some time ago but now she keeps crying in her sleep. She doesn't wake up or anything, just cries so I'll have to wake up and calm her down before putting her off to bed. Sometimes it goes on for 3-4 times a night which can be tiring. anyway, my ped suggested to give the baby water instead of milk feed if he/she wakes up anytime in between during bed time. The other day she woke up crying around 3ish, I decided to give her some water and it seemed to work. Maybe you can try that? My ped also said morning feed anytime from 5.am onwards is fine....

cas, how many months your baby is? i heard too, to feed baby water instead of milk, but my baby last feed at 10pm so have to feed him milk at 3-4am if he move, twist & turn non stop... tried to feed him water before, its work though and sleep till 5-6am, but at the end i just chose to night feed him back... pity him

June, if you don't mind me asking, how heavy is your son. He seems to drink much more milk than my son (almost same age) who only takes 5 oz per feed.

CFA, my son is bout 9.8kg to 10kg...he is smaller/thinner in size compare to his age group.Yeah I have to admit he takes too much milk he should be. I tried give him water only but he not satisfy, cry out 'milk! milk! milk!'.....sigh

cas, how many months your baby is? i heard too, to feed baby water instead of milk, but my baby last feed at 10pm so have to feed him milk at 3-4am if he move, twist & turn non stop... tried to feed him water before, its work though and sleep till 5-6am, but at the end i just chose to night feed him back... pity him

My baby is 9 months. I also give her last feed at 10-10.30pm and she has another one at 6-6.30 a.m. My ped said that's the way it should be, no feeds in between the night coz the more you give him milk, he'll wake up every night expecting it as it becomes a routine already. Maybe you can try with water continously and rock him back to sleep, see if it works?

Thanks for your sharing!

hi, just to share my experience with you. my son is now 1y7m now. i feed him 7oz before he goes to sleep. he'll wake up once or twice at nite (time not fixed) for milk and i give him 5oz only. then he'll get back to sleep. especially when u sleep in aircond. room, the air is drier thus feels thirsty.

i read that babies have a growth spurt. during these times (which has happened few times to my baby boy) he'll drink much more & more frequent. one time he drank 16oz at once. some more my baby doesnt really eat solid food. as he grows, he'll wake up less at nite and eventually sleeps thru. not to worry.. :-)

CFA, my son is bout 9.8kg to 10kg...he is smaller/thinner in size compare to his age group.Yeah I have to admit he takes too much milk he should be. I tried give him water only but he not satisfy, cry out 'milk! milk! milk!'.....sigh

My son is slightly heavier. Perhaps you can try feeding him so water say half an hour before the milk feed. But, I understand how u feel when the boy cries out for milk. My boy normally only takes about 5 oz but sometimes, its not enough and he'll cry and cry for milk. So have to make 1 to 2 oz more and the next day, when we make 6 oz, he stops at 5 oz. Ai yah, so waste, so sometimes, I sapu.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing :) I will try to reduce his amount of milk during midnight feed, hopefully he don't fuss bout that. I just thought maybe he take more milk will sleep longer :p but most of time doesnt work

Hi,

Thanks for sharing :) I will try to reduce his amount of milk during midnight feed, hopefully he don't fuss bout that. I just thought maybe he take more milk will sleep longer :p but most of time doesnt work

june, my thought same with you, " take more milk will sleep longer" but eventually it doesnt work...

June & Kaie, that doesn't work...my friend used to think that putting solids in her son's FM at 4 mths would make him sleep through the night. He's nearly 2 yo now and still not sleeping through the night.

Sometimes it's from force of habit, sometimes it's from hunger. If it's from hunger, then get them to eat more solids during the day - this is only applicable for toddlers and not babies below 12 mths, k?