Autism

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I 1st suspected my boy having autism when he was about 1++ yrs old. He lined his toys in line, walk with toes, make very little eye contact with others (other than those people he meet everyday), he dislikes disorder, keep on eating same food, watching same VCD over and over... I ever talked to my husband n mil, but in return i get scolded for suspecting my child having autism. Since my son can differentiate length, can talk, so I also regard may be it is me the one who think too much.

Recently I met my son principal after 1 year enrolled him to montessouri school, she talked indirectly indicating that may be my son has mild autism. He has little eye contact with others, dislikes crowded area, prefer to play alone, dislike disorders....

Mummies out there, do anyone have the same experience and how to deal with these kind of child? I heard it can be cured if we start special edcuation early, what kind of special education. And most importantly where to seek help for confirmation whether he is autism child or not.

Posted · Report post

I've read somewhere that autism is usually more pronounced around the age of 3. Have also attended a sharing session by a lady who's son is autistic. She mentioned that before 3, her son is just like any other child. Some of the symptoms you described are very typical in children his age too, perhaps you can observe a little longer. Even if a child is autistic, i think it's important not to label them as so. I found a link here from the National Autism Society (http://www.nasom.com.my/), perhaps they can guide you on early intervention steps. Good Luck!

Posted · Report post

My brother displayed similar symptoms when he was about 2 years old - we got him diagnosed almost immediately - was diagnosed with ADHD but now (he is turning 18 end of this year) he is displaying more of Asperger's kind of symptoms, rather than ADHD.

You need to firstly get your son diagnosed - if I am not wrong, you can go to your pediatrician and get a referral letter for a doctor at a hospital or something (at least that was what my brother went through many years ago). Early intervention needs to begin, well, early. My brother began with speech and occupational therapy before he had even turned 3.

First thing you need to understand is that autism is not a 'disease' that can be cured. I think in our society we just are unable to accept that some children just learn differently from others and not everyone needs to take the same path. IF your child is really diagnosed with ASD (autism spectrum disorder), you need to get him started on early intervention ASAP and from there, help him to become independent. In that situation, you need to first understand that it will be a long process of therapy and special programmes. But every milestone would be significant. My brother picked up the phone to give me his first long distance call 2 years ago - I wanted to pop champagne that night! We even celebrated (secretly) the first lie he told because it meant that he was processing info!

My parents were wonderful in the sense that they were very open about my brother's condition, and read many books and talked to many people. Unlike some other parents we knew, my parents accepted my brother wholeheartedly and we really see him as a regular kid who has speech issues (he still has difficulty speaking regularly) and social interaction problems (doesn't help that we older siblings are so much more older and have moved away from home). They never shielded him from social interaction, and just very simply told people he is autistic, despite weird stares and stupid parents who forbade their children to play with my brother, thinking autism was catching or something. The best thing that my parents did was to delay his P1 registration by 1 year, and subsequently focused more on teaching him independent living and social interaction skills, rather than to force him through exams and the regular school system. He is now very happy in the special stream, and we are thinking of sending him for a computer programming course soon.

My brother may not have sat for UPSR/PMR/SPM and may not be able to do comprehension passages, but he memorised the multiplication tables in a few days, does mental arithmetic, by 5 years old had memorised every single car model there is out there in the global market, self taught spoken and written Chinese (my parents are completely English educated and can't recognise any Chinese characters) and is a loving, sensitive boy.

So sorry for the lengthy post, but because of my baby brother, autistic children tug at my heartstrings and it hurts me more when people refuse to acknowledge it as a real condition. In short, go check with your pediatrician. If I am not mistaken, for KL, you would be referred to the hospital at UM for the diagnosis. For more advice from Malaysian parents, try emailing myadhdsupport@yahoogroups.com. I subscribe to them and it's heartwarming to see parents supporting each other.

Don't worry too much at this point - take action soon!!

Posted · Report post

Hi preppyrose & balderdash,

Thanks for the reply and information. I will try to get further information.

For the time being, my child new nursery headmaster has the experience handling autism child. She said my child condition is not serious. But he need special attention n care. She is using her method to improve some of his condition - not trying new foods, insisting on certain things - eg color of chair; improving his social skills, etc. I am glad to see some improvement in him.

Posted · Report post

Early intervention is very important for your kid, especially so if he is highly functional. My take is that you should seek professional help. I know of a good school in section 16 PJ. I think they are called autism link or something like that. Don't leave it too late or you may regret it one day. Play school and some experience from the teacher is just not good enough.

Posted · Report post

I 1st suspected my boy having autism when he was about 1++ yrs old. He lined his toys in line, walk with toes, make very little eye contact with others (other than those people he meet everyday), he dislikes disorder, keep on eating same food, watching same VCD over and over... I ever talked to my husband n mil, but in return i get scolded for suspecting my child having autism. Since my son can differentiate length, can talk, so I also regard may be it is me the one who think too much.

Recently I met my son principal after 1 year enrolled him to montessouri school, she talked indirectly indicating that may be my son has mild autism. He has little eye contact with others, dislikes crowded area, prefer to play alone, dislike disorders....

Mummies out there, do anyone have the same experience and how to deal with these kind of child? I heard it can be cured if we start special edcuation early, what kind of special education. And most importantly where to seek help for confirmation whether he is autism child or not.

Hello! I don't know if you are still looking for a professional speech therapy program for your child... if you are, I know of an excellent service run by Mr. Edwin. LEMM International Therapy, you can find a brochure here with contact information: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lemmit/

Posted · Report post

It is difficult but we all want the best for our children. Children with speical needs require us to be strong and supportive. I get frustrated at times but I was referred to a therapist who conducts Sleep Talk for Children. She taught me the process and I have been doing it with my child since. Now my boy is more obedient, more loving and doing better socially. Even his teachers says so.

You can check it out at http://advance-dynamics-asia.com/?page_id=462 or you could call Joyce at 03- 7886 7655. I live in Penang but she does it with me over Skype.

Its really something worth sharing.

Posted · Report post

Hi all!

I wanted to share about a great event that is being sponsored by LEMM International Therapy. Right now they are at the Museum Negeri Sembilan in Seremban. There is a bit about it on their website: http://www.lemm-int-therapy.com/165888135. Lots of awesome movie props and actual movie scripts signed by the actors :) Worth the trip to take your kids!