LittleDevil

Do you invest in unit trust??

hey daddyo - thank you so much for the input - very useful and valuable to me. When I read your post - I really agree about investing on with your savings! Few years back, I was naive to think of buying a property with 90% bank loan and rent out to get so called 'passive income'. I learnt that it is similar to investments where there is never a guaranteed return although the rental market might have a good record at that area for the past few years - doesnt mean future will be same or better as it may be worse.

I am trying to understand and learn what's equities, bonds, trusts, funds etc etc so that I can be smarter - might not really to get richer but at least not poorer - "Rich Daddy Poor Daddy"? B)

Investing is such a tough game to get involved in because it's such a risky business.

Investing does not necessarilly have to be risky. It does have its risk but need not be risky. Is there a differrence? Yes.

Example :

You cross the street. It has its risk but you don't have to be risky. If you are careful and look both ways and make sure no vehicles are oncoming before you cross, you can cross the road safely.

If you choose to dash blindly across, then it is very risky.

Same for investing. You need to understand what you are investing in. Understand the rules regarding each type of investments and then make an informed decision. Then investing is not that risky.

Take the stock market for example:

What is a stock market? It's a place where people can invest in businesses that are listed in the bourse. These businesses hope that people will invest in them so that they can use the money as capital to expand and when they do expand, they will offer dividends for those who have invested in them as a return. Alternately, these stockholders can also opt to sell the shares at a higher price than when they bought it.

As with any business, you do understand some basic rules about them right? A business exist to supply to a demand. If there is demand, then the supply will be snapped up. If there is no demand, then the business will fail. Of course other factors count too, such as management of funds and resources and what not but let's just keep it simple for discussion sake.

Let's say a company starts a business to sell ice to the eskimos. Remember the supply and demand thing? Now if this company asks you to invest money into it so that it can expand, would you do so? Of course not! Eskimos don't need to buy ice! They can get it just by stepping outside their houses! So this is a bad investment.

Let's say another company starts a business to sell top quality knives to the Japanese. Knives designed to cut fish with the greatest efficiency and will last a long time without the need for sharpening. Now, knowing how the Japanese loves sushi, and this company asks you to invest in it, will you? You probably would. It's a pretty good investment. Is it guaranteed to make money? Well, nobody can tell but it's a safer option compared to the one selling ice!

With proper information and understanding of the businesses you plan to invest in, you can minimise the risks. Of course you will need to learn up on a lot of things related to businesses but hey, no one says investing is easy.

Unfortunately, most people invest rather blindly. They follow the market rumours. If so-and-so says that company ABC's shares will rise they jump in and pour their money into it. If who-and-who has so-called 'insider information' that company XYZ's shares will triple, they jump in. Hoping for the best. Hoping is not an investment strategy. They don't teach Harvard business graduates to 'hope' for a better market or for shares to rise. And neither is banking on 'rumours' and 'insider info.' an investment strategy.

How does Warren Buffet invest? He studies a company and see it the company has strong fundamentals and evaluate if the company can grow its business. If he is satisfied with it, he will invest in it and then wait for the company to grow in value so that its share prices will go up. He also understands that the market moves in cycles and will wait out down cycles rather than panic and sell.

He says, "When the market falls, people sell and rush out of the market, afraid of getting burnt. Then when the market recovers, they rush back in. When they rush in, they will see me there and will be amazed at how quickly I managed to get back into the recovering market. Truth is, I never left."

Hope that helps.

The unit trust I invested has been going down and down since the day I put in my money. <_< Now the loss is about 3%.......

But my FH invested about 1 year earlier than me, the return was 10% within half a year... But due to the election period, his return has also dropped to 6% this year.......

We don't really take unit trust as something to earn money... We take it more like a saving. So, we don't really care about the market trends... We leave it to the remisier to advise us and he will shift the fund here and there...

The unit trust I invested has been going down and down since the day I put in my money. <_< Now the loss is about 3%.......

But my FH invested about 1 year earlier than me, the return was 10% within half a year... But due to the election period, his return has also dropped to 6% this year.......

We don't really take unit trust as something to earn money... We take it more like a saving. So, we don't really care about the market trends... We leave it to the remisier to advise us and he will shift the fund here and there...

As of late last year, we can already see the signs of a slowdown coming. Many unit trust people are still saying "market can go further". Right.

The signs :- US subprime, skyrocketing fuel, & 12 year cycle. A perfect storm forming. For me, I'm taking "wait & see" before investing. Then when everyone's afraid, its time to make money. This round might not be as bad as '97 '98

Personally, I think unit trust funds are too slow. I owned some public mutual funds and the prices dropped so badly i don't even have eyes to look at it anymore. :(

Now I put my money in a steadier savings products....

I'm actually working in a local bank and I withdrawl all myUT b4 the election...I have the opportunity to monitor the price every day.....but still make some loss.....UT is something which suitable for long term investmant - 3-5 years.....I saw some rich aunty invest few hundred thousand in UT instead of puting in the saving account.....I have one customer make loss for RM 40,000 in UT just a day (election that time - so terrible) of course his investment is few million dollar lah!

anyway, but now is not the time to invest in UT...the pro predicted that the market still will slowdown until 2009.....good for the people haven's invest and good luck and be patient for the people who already make loss....

I'm actually working in a local bank and I withdrawl all myUT b4 the election...I have the opportunity to monitor the price every day.....but still make some loss.....UT is something which suitable for long term investmant - 3-5 years.....I saw some rich aunty invest few hundred thousand in UT instead of puting in the saving account.....I have one customer make loss for RM 40,000 in UT just a day (election that time - so terrible) of course his investment is few million dollar lah!

anyway, but now is not the time to invest in UT...the pro predicted that the market still will slowdown until 2009.....good for the people haven's invest and good luck and be patient for the people who already make loss....

Rich aunties invest in UT cuz they don't need to monitor anymore. They can afford to put it in there for a looooong time. Even if you can wait like them, the returns are not that great anyway. I know some pretty good savings products from insurance companies. I think in general it is safer and more stable.

i have tonnes of UT but all of them now is below PAR value :( i think the lost is definitely more than 5%.. but then i don plan to touch those money in the nest 3 years so i think its still ok... but if u wanna invest now.. i think its a good time.. a lot of UT are below PAR value now...... i also plan to get some to leverage my loss ........ try get those from PB ..

:P

i started to invest in UT for many years now... and overall am quite happy with my UT performance... at least after 5 years of investment i can see i have ROI of more than 100% which is very good at least for me... but i think it's depends on which fund and what's the price of the UT when you buy lor...

Unit Trust (UT) are indeed for long term investments. Long term as in 5 to 10 years period. Not 5 to 10 months period. Now is the best time for UT as prices are low and the only way that they can go is up (provided the UT can withstand the slowdown).

Those rich aunty and whoever who dumps money in and hopes to make big bucks in short time are speculators. They hope that the price will go up in a short period of time and then sell off to make money. The only way that this can work well enough is to pump in massive amounts of money and when the prices go up a little bit they can make quite a bit as their capital is huge.

Now this is dangerous thinking and is the main reason for CBT cases. Not many individuals have that big amount of cash. So what they do? "Borrow" from others lor... in hopes that when they strike it big, they can return the money and pocket the gains and no one will be the wiser.

In real life, nothing is gauranteed so when things go bust, that's when these people get trapped.

So in essence, speculators are no better than gamblers.

Invest, people. Don't speculate. If you want to make money in short periods, there is the stock market and that requires a lot of study in economics and the ability to select solid companies to invest in. There's always a trade off. Remember - there's no free lunch in this world.

And to ILove who keeps harping about insurance company products, could you be more specific and share your 'findings' here openly? As in what investment product do this insurance company provide?

If I am not mistaken, all insurance company products carry insurance costs. As such they are basically insurance policy with some investment aspects. I am curious to know how can investing with such a product can have a higher ROI than investing in UT maybe.

I say this because insurance policies always carries insurance fees and these fees are non-refundable and are mandatory plus the fact that they are not part of any investments. You don't pay for them, the policy lapses and you're left with nothing. If you pay minimum, the money goes to fund these fees and does nothing to increase your investment portfolios.

Also, I would like to know how easy it is to liquidate these products when I have the need to use the money I have 'invested'. For UT, I can just sell it off and get whatever cash minus off the obligatory transaction fees. Easy. Not strings attached. With insurance policy there are terms and conditions and what not. If I cancel or terminate the policy, I suffer by paying penalty and the returns are paltry unless I have invested for a certain number of years (and the period is a long, long one). If I opt for premium loan, the interest charged is high and I still have to re-imburse the amount that I have loaned. So how can an insurance product be 'better'? Please enlighten me... and the rest of the readers here.

Insurance policies are great as a risk management tool but not so good as an investment tool.

The savings product that I'm talking about are annuities plans. It's more for savings but you'll also get some coverage from it.

For example (using rough estimates):

AIA has a good plan whereby you need only pay premium (or save money) of 6k for 10 years. Then at the end of year 10, you'll get an annual payment of 2k until about 80 yrs. There is a sum assured of RM50k attached to this plan. Meaning, if the assured meet unforeseen death, the beneficiaries will receive RM50k + the bonuses earned from accumulated amount.

Because this is an endowment plan of 80+ years, it can stretch across 3 generations. ie, if your child is the assured, you will get the 2k while you are still alive. When you are gone, your child will get the 2k while he/she is still alive. If your child dies before the 88 years, your grandchild will get the sum assured plus the accumulated bonuses.

This is only an example of one of the plans. There are others with different features. I think these are great because with the coverage feature, you are also protected against untimely death. It's unlike other savings product, where you only get what you've saved and interest earned from it.

The savings product that I'm talking about are annuities plans. It's more for savings but you'll also get some coverage from it.

For example (using rough estimates):

AIA has a good plan whereby you need only pay premium (or save money) of 6k for 10 years. Then at the end of year 10, you'll get an annual payment of 2k until about 80 yrs. There is a sum assured of RM50k attached to this plan. Meaning, if the assured meet unforeseen death, the beneficiaries will receive RM50k + the bonuses earned from accumulated amount.

Because this is an endowment plan of 80+ years, it can stretch across 3 generations. ie, if your child is the assured, you will get the 2k while you are still alive. When you are gone, your child will get the 2k while he/she is still alive. If your child dies before the 88 years, your grandchild will get the sum assured plus the accumulated bonuses.

This is only an example of one of the plans. There are others with different features. I think these are great because with the coverage feature, you are also protected against untimely death. It's unlike other savings product, where you only get what you've saved and interest earned from it.

Ahh...! Yes. That's what I thought. Like I said, insurance policies are great for risk management. They provide you with coverage and yes, you do need that. But I would like to say that it is not such a good 'investment' vehicle. The ROI are just way too low to justify the cost.

Taking the annuities plan you've outlined, I did some simlpe calculation.

The annuities plan:

1. Invest for 10 years at RM6000 per year = RM60,000

2. Coverage paid in case of death = RM50,000 plus other bonuses (but that's not what you aimed for right?)

3. After 10 years you get annual RM2k for 80 years = RM160,000

Now assuming you invested the RM6,000 per year into another type of investment that will get you a 6% returns per annum (mind you 6% P.A. returns is conservative for investments)

Your investment:

1. 10 years at RM6,000 per year = RM60,000

2. Assuming you roll the returns back into the investment (compound it) every year and added the additional RM6,000 every year you will get RM84K plus at the end of 10 years.

3. If you pocket the RM24K and repeat the process with the balance of RM60k for another 10 years you wll get another RM84k and that bring you to around RM100k and you won't have to wait for 80 years to get it.

But of course you don't get coverage against death lar.

Pros for insurance :

1. Coverage against death (Risk management)

2. Guaranteed pay out once policy matures

Cons for insurance as investment vehicles :

1. Very low ROI

2. Maturity period very long

So I would not advise getting insurance policy for investment. Don't get me wrong, everyone should have basic insurance coverage but just don't use it as an investment vehicle.

ILove,

for annuities plans, after paying RM6k for 10 years and we get RM2k yearly for the next 80 years seems good. but then again, the RM2k annual payment might worth less after we paid the 10 years premium due to inflations. i really can't imagine how much is the RM2k annual payment actually worth for the the 40 or 80 years...

daddyo,

I'd like to comment on point number 2. You do need to consider the bonuses. The amount of dividends average out to about 6.9% over the last 4 years. The dividends are paid based on the amount saved in the plan and it does get compounded too.

Based on the calculated example plan with assumptions the the life assured outlived the 88 years:

1. If the average dividend is 7 % a year, you get extra 500k ++ at the end of the plan

2. If the average dividend is 4 % a year, you get extra 70k ++ at the end of the plan

As you've mentioned, the drawback is the liquidity of the money. But if you are serious about saving money, this type of plans will discipline you to commit to that amount for say 10 years. Often enough, we withdraw our money from UTs before they even earned the money we wanted them to....

I do agree that we should all have proper insurance policies to protect our loved ones. But like I said, this type of annuities plan is meant for savings and to provide you annuities when you get older. Frankly speaking, 50k of sum assured is not enough for insurance protection but it is an added advantage to these plans.

mhyap1,

Yes, I do agree with you that due to inflation, 2k won't be a lot down the road. But doesn't that apply to other savings products as well? Do you think the money you put in FDs with 3%++ can counter the inflation rate? Based on the discussed items above, you also need to consider the dividends and it can work out to quite a lot due to compounding interest.

The plan can be customized based on how much you would like to commit and/or sum assured. Phiew....I've tried my best to explain it in words. If you like to know more, please PM me.

Personally, I think unit trust funds are too slow. I owned some public mutual funds and the prices dropped so badly i don't even have eyes to look at it anymore. :(

Now I put my money in a steadier savings products....

ya, PB UT really dropped so badly.. me also don't even have eyes to look the price ~~ :blink: jus leave it and wait increase again

daddyo,

I'd like to comment on point number 2. You do need to consider the bonuses. The amount of dividends average out to about 6.9% over the last 4 years. The dividends are paid based on the amount saved in the plan and it does get compounded too.

Based on the calculated example plan with assumptions the the life assured outlived the 88 years:

1. If the average dividend is 7 % a year, you get extra 500k ++ at the end of the plan

2. If the average dividend is 4 % a year, you get extra 70k ++ at the end of the plan

As you've mentioned, the drawback is the liquidity of the money. But if you are serious about saving money, this type of plans will discipline you to commit to that amount for say 10 years. Often enough, we withdraw our money from UTs before they even earned the money we wanted them to....

I do agree that we should all have proper insurance policies to protect our loved ones. But like I said, this type of annuities plan is meant for savings and to provide you annuities when you get older. Frankly speaking, 50k of sum assured is not enough for insurance protection but it is an added advantage to these plans.

mhyap1,

Yes, I do agree with you that due to inflation, 2k won't be a lot down the road. But doesn't that apply to other savings products as well? Do you think the money you put in FDs with 3%++ can counter the inflation rate? Based on the discussed items above, you also need to consider the dividends and it can work out to quite a lot due to compounding interest.

The plan can be customized based on how much you would like to commit and/or sum assured. Phiew....I've tried my best to explain it in words. If you like to know more, please PM me.

ILove,

Yes I do understand that insurance policies pay quite a lot of bonuses with one condition - that's it's either upon death or upon maturity. Both which are not very ideal scenarios. If I am already dead, I don't need the money. If I am more than 90 years old, I also do not have much use for the money.

Different story lar if you wanna accumulate money for the next generation but personally I would rather let them earn their own keep instead of relying on inheritance.

I would also treat insurance policies as more of an expense rather than savings cause I cannot really use or withdraw the money that I have so-called 'saved' on an insurance policy. If I had RM6k per year to save and put it into FD, my benefit is that I can withdraw the money anytime to use in case of an emergency. For insurance policies, the money that are 'so-called' saved is burnt - there is no way to withdraw the premiums paid is there? To get any money from insurance policy you would have to do either of these listed below:

1. Die - No good cause even though they pay, it's not you who get the money.

2. Surrender the policy - get whatever cash value that is due and usually the bonuses get slashed like mad when you surrender it.

3. Wait till it matures - that's a looooooooong time to wait, especially if you have an emergency in your hands.

4. Take out a policy/premium loan - this is a loan and the amount needs to be re-paid or it is coming out of your cash value and/or bonuses.

Please do not get me wrong ILove, I have nothing against insurance policies. They are a neccessity for risk management and will have its place in your overall financial planning. What I am not too happy about is the fact that too many insurance consultants like to misuse the word 'savings'.

They like to say, it's a 'savings' for you. Or this is the 'savings' you make. Or you only need to 'save' RMxxx every month and the benefit can be yours. These are all inaccurate usage of the word. Please consider using another term. Why is it inaccurate? Well, the list below will show some of the reasons:

1. When it is a savings, means that I can have access to the amount saved anytime. Which is not true for insurance premiums paid.

2. When it is a savings, I can always get back the principal amount, regardless of any interest paid but insurance policy bonuses are calculated differently.

3. Insurance policy premiums are actually 'payments'. You pay for protection or coverage and the promise of returns at a much later date. What is worse is that if I miss any payments, my policy lapses and I can very well kiss all of my money goodbye! Whereas for savings, if I miss any saving period, the worst that can happen is that my amount saved does not increase and I earn zero interest. If and when I continue to save again, my amount saved increases and interests are earned again. Don't tell me you can do that with insurance policies. The best case scenario is that they allow you to re-activate the policy after you have paid up all overdue amount. Most likely they will need to re-consider the policy and adjust the premiums based on your increased age, ending up with higher premiums to pay.

That is the reason I have been rebutting your posts thus far. This is an investing thread and you cannot really lump insurance policies as a bona-fide investment vehicle. They are more risk management tools and risk management is placed well below investing in the financial planning pyramid.

As an insurance consultant, you really should hold integrity as a high priority value to project to your clients. Don't mislead them by twisting terms like 'savings'. Don't assume that all of your prospects cannot tell the difference. Be honest and tell them an apple is an apple. Build long term relationships by earning the trust of your clients and be more than just another salesperson.

I have met up with a Unit and an Agency Manager in the insurance line peddling the same tune to me. When I refuse to sign up a policy that I deem is not suitable for me, they asked me, "Don't tell me you cannot even 'save' RMxxx per month? Going by your income, you won't even miss the amount and if you 'saved' the amount, you can get bla, bla, bla benefits and returns. Isn't this a good investment?"

I answered their question with a question of my own. I said, "If let's say I forgot or circumstances are such that I could not afford to 'save' that amount for a month or two, can I get that return also? Can you guarantee that I will still get the money or benefits?"

They were at a loss for words and to date I still do not have an answer from them.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been mistreated by other insurance agent. I understand that there are too many agents selling hard out there and they lost track of meeting the client's needs. No worries on your thoughts and I don't take it seriously. But I maintain my view that this product is good for savings. Maybe the products presented to you is different in nature.

An answer to your question for the example case - if the reason you cannot afford it is due to disability/critical illness, then your premium will be waived. Meaning to say...you'll enjoy the benefits without needing to pay the remaining premium.

Surrending the policy after a certain amount of years (not necessarily at maturity) can give you more returns than most of other savings products. Of course, if you want to know, I'll have to work with you. It is hard to show you here.

Don't be offended but I do not agree with your view that when we are 80+, we don't have much use for the money. These days, living too long can be a problem, especially if you don't have children to support you. Even if you do, are you okay with being a burden to them? I've seen many elderlies with such problem. That's why I myself am working to ensure that I have a comfortable amount for retirement.

And when you say that you would rather your children earn their own money....somehow doesn't sound right. Personally, I've inherited money from my dad's insurance policy. Did you know that it helped us so much? When he left, one source of income was eliminated. We were still quite young at that time and the money is required for survival. It's all about the brought up method. If you bring your children up to be smart, they'll know how to leverage on the inherited money.

ILove,

I think you've missed my point. I am saying that if you want to invest and you have the money to invest, why get an annuities policy when I can better use the money elsewhere for other type of investments which can bring me better returns? Of course if I need the coverage and the policy suit my needs, then by all means go for it.

Correct me if I am wrong - if I want to have better cash values and surrender bonuses, then my premium would be higher, right? All depends on the Sum Assured, the age of the insured and returns rate, right?

Now, if I could afford the premiums (which will not be low) could I not do this instead and get better returns for my money :

1. Get a term life insurance for coverage of the sum assured and get a disability rider that will waive the premiums upon disability. (Premiums way lower than annuities)

2. Get a basic life plus critical illness plan with cash value and bonuses upon maturity. (Premium also lower than annuities)

3. Invest the rest of my money to a higher returms vehicle. Ensuring that the ROI is better than any insurance policy that I can take out.

Premium of RM6k a year is by no means low. Doing the above I can get by with a premium of RM2k to RM3K for item 1 and 2. This will leave me about RM3K for other investment with a higher ROI.

End result:

- I am covered against disability.

- I am covered against death and critical illness.

- I have a better ROI on the rest of my money and if I should reach 80+ or more and is still healthy, my investments could very well be much more than your annuities returns. Plus I still have a bit after my life insurance matures.

Annuities are not cheap. The higher the returns, the higher the premiums are going to be. And it is saddled with all the drawbacks of an insurance policy whereby liquidity is a hassle. Surrenderring means my protection is no longer in force and missing premiums that are high means the end of everything.

When we invest, most of us are not planning to die or get disabled to be able to get the money.

Good to know you have your portfolio thoroughly planned out. good luck!

If you don't mind, maybe you can share with us what are the investment vehicles with higher ROI?

Good to know you have your portfolio thoroughly planned out. good luck!

If you don't mind, maybe you can share with us what are the investment vehicles with higher ROI?

Well, that will depend on the individual and how risk adverse they are. Some investment vehicles with high ROI :

1. Stock market.

2. Unit trust - some of the funds are doing quite well

You could have something like this :

Assuming you've covered your risk. You could select a medium to high risk unit trust and invest for the long term - around 10 years. Compound the earnings back into the investment and after 10 years on a up market cycle, you could find yourself with a sizeble amount.

After this you could split the amount in half and let half stay in the original unit trust and use the other half for an investment into real estate or the stock market for a more agressive returns (of course with higher risks).

Assuming you get a real estate investment, you could get rental income from that to offset some of the installments. In another 10 years you could sell the real estate for profit and then decide what you want to invest in.

There are other investment vehicles also such as:

1. Forex

2. Commodities

3. Bonds

But one needs to be knowledgeble in any type of investment to be able to make good informed decisions about your money and what to do with it.

When investing, one should always know the power of compounding and use that. One should learn about money and how it works and let interest work for us rather than against us.

For example, if you have a flexi-loan on your home loan which lets you pay extra and directly reduce the principal loan amount you could more than halve the repayment period if you pay double installments every time? Meaning you could pay off the a 20 year loan period in about 10 years? So if you could afford an installment of RM2000 let say, you should opt to buy a house with an installment of RM1000 and pay double installments on that. A decade later you would have paid off the loan and now you have a piece of real-estate PLUS the monetary capacity to invest in other things.

So a wild example could be:

A 25 year old working adult.

1. Get a term life to cover basic death and disability.

2. Look to buy a house rather than car as his first major purchase. Could find a house further from the prime real estate area for lower price and pay double installments.

3. 10 years later he would have paid off the house and the house value would have gone up.

4. He could opt to rent out the house and let the rental pay for his first car while looking for other investment opportunity with his freed up money from the installment payments. Unit trusts maybe. At this point he could opt for a participating life insurance policy that covers critical illness.

5. Another 10 years down the road, he would have quite a sizeable amount of money in his investment portfolio to be able to afford another real estate purchase.

At this point of time he is 45 years old and still have at least a 10 year working period to earn. 2 pieces of real estate and considerable portfolio in either unit trusts or others. Not a bad position to be in, right?

But of course he would be driving a real basic beat-up and at least 10 year old car. But who cares? Driving a big flashy car is the main reason why a lot of people are financially stricken.

Then again you can say that investments cannot guarantee positive returns. I agree. But given the above scenario or another where you need to wait 80+ years to be able to get your money, I would rather take the above scenario anytime. But that's strictly my choice. One is free to choose any course he/she wants to take.

Thanks for sharing. It seems like you have quite a lot of knowledge about investment. :) I don't think everyone knows all this. Many people just put their money in FDs, which is probably the worst investment tool around. With the inflation rate and such, you'll see your money shrink in value over time.

bcoz of market bad, i think some unit trust price have drop as well.... that's why for investment purpose i think it's a better time now to buy unit trust... provided you intend to keep it for long term investment though...