skye

Basal Body Temperature (BBT)

Ok, I'm not going into the long explanation of what BBT is. As I believe you can easily find this information on it and what it does in multiple sites via google. Here is a link from wikipedia for your reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_body_temperature

For those who have no idea where to get a BBT Thermometer try Guardian or Watson. Look for

~ Omron MC-272L Digital Basal Thermometer about RM 59 (Celsius & Fahrenheit)

~ Osim USmart Digital Thermometer (OS-5502) RM 45 (Only Celsius)

While you can track your BBT on paper, using a computer program or an online software program can make things much easier. The following websites offer free fertility calendars, with BBT charting options :

FertilityFriend.com is my personal favorite. As I have just started on BBT thus this site provides me with tons of useful information, chart as guidance, courses to read and understand what BBT is all about, Q & A, active forum and info how to use it correctly. There is a free version, as well as a VIP version, but the free version includes more than enough to chart with ease.

Website link : http://www.fertilityfriend.com/

MyMonthlyCycles.com offer free fertility calendars that allow you to track as little or as much information as you like. You can keep a detailed fertility chart, including BBT readings, or you can just track your period days. Using the information you provide, the fertility calendar will let you know if your period is late, if ovulation may be approaching, and other important fertility information. I personally haven't use this myself.

Website link : http://www.mymonthlycycles.com/

TCOYF.com offers a free online fertility calendar option, a paid-for downloadable computer program, or a free PDF download. The fertility calendars on the site have been endorsed by Toni Weschler, author of Taking Charge of Your Fertility. The thing I didnt' like this online charting is it only save 3 months of chart for those who opt for free. You want more, pay for it. I didnt like the short 3 months chart :P so I didnt use this but I tried it.

http://www.tcoyf.com

MyFertilityCharts.com offers a free fertility calendar, where you can track your BBT, periods, and other ovulation symptoms. It is the online version of an off-line fertility tracking program, Hormonal Forecaster. You can use the online version or one just on your computer. You can also choose to keep the majority of your charts on your home computer, and selectively share charts online.

They have both a free version and paid for version. The paid for version includes color shading on the chart, to read easier when your fertile and non-fertile days are, along with other features explained on their site. I personally didn't try this as well.

http://www.myfertilitycharts.com/

For those who prefers manual charts you can find them at this sites :

http://www.babycenter.com.my/preconception/suspectingaproblem/samplebbtchartdownload/

http://www.babycenter.com/0_blank-bbt-chart_7069.bc

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/bbt-chart.html

http://www.mymonthlycycles.com/bbtchartdl.jsp

There is alot of other charts as well feel free to use google to find them as these are the ones i got during my research.

Hope this helps the other couples out there who is TTC-ing as well.

thanks for sharing the information.

would like to ask: do you take your temperature in the morning when you just wake up? also, you take it through your mouth?

leongal,

Yes to both question.

if you got the basal thermometer, it has good instruction how you should be taking it.

Elaaine, yah, i did it....but i frequently wake up in the middle of the nights to go to loo, i wonder how it will affect the measurement - as for me, i can't notice much differences in the temperature after trying like 3 months or so.....and i gave up

Elaaine,

I would say anytime is a good time as you take some time to get adjusted to taking the BBT every morning and marking it down (be it manually or online). I took sometime to really get adjusted as there are times i woke up and started doing things and THEN only remember i'm support to chart the BBT first ! thus my chart at the beginning have some "blank slots" here and there on those forgetful days especially on the 1st and maybe 2nd week. So the earlier you start the better :)

leongal,

Wow you TTC before getting married ?

if you dont see much differences in temperature there might be a chance you are not doing it correctly or you didnt ovulate. As after period before ovulation the chart temperature is suppose to be lower. Once we ovulate the temperature goes up by 1 level. I can see it clearly on mine and alot others charts as well.

Also i have seen some who have 100+ days same temperature as they didnt ovulate yet.

To your question on Night Waking you can find the answer here in the site, do go and read through more information as you use the BBT : http://www.fertilityfriend.com/Faqs/

Good luck girls !

skye, "go up by one level", means 0.1-0.2 degree celcius?

i was measuring the body temperature - that time, haven't ttc, preparation only :P

hehe ahh ok ... early preparation ya :D

from pre-ovulation to post ovulation it should go up like by 0.4 and above.

Skye,

We need to ML on the day when the temp goes up? btw, the time we take the temp need to be same everyday ya? cause sometime wake up late and sometime early. how ar?

I see the BBT chart sample in the fertitlity web, I blur d. So many symbol.

oh yah, i read before i actually do it - temperature has to be measured approximately the same time everyday, so need to wake up at the same time......

i think i fail in doing this, and sometimes i missed taking the temperature, especially sunday when i am in inlaw's house....

Elaaine,

yes same time everyday... like for me i work early and weekend what i do is set the alarm wake up just to do the temp then went back to sleep 5 mins later. The temp is being saved (1 memory set for the Omron brand) so i dont have to update the chart until later when i'm fully awake. There was a time i actually continue to slept all the way with the thermometer LOL :P

When you see a dip and in the chart at the below portion you see the dates turn green thats when you need to ML.

Dont worry about all the symbols just start the chart 1st by putting your temperature everyday then add the rest slowly as time goes by coz main thing is everyday wake up dont get up but take the thermometer. 1 step at a time will make things easier as you go along rather than trying to do everything immediately. Hope this helps as I'm also learning as we speak :)

Skye,

So funny that u continue to sleep with the thermometer in the mouth. I think sure ur hubby laugh when he saw it...Hope that I can get my temp on time. try my best to do it.

Elaaine,

yea ,.. there is this one time where he turn around wanting to kiss me then just before he kiss he open his eyes and saw the long long thing in my mouth and realise i'm doing the "thermometer thing" so he turn away and go back to sleep instead. I was sort of half asleep while taking the temp hahaha ... babe i wake up wayyyy earlier than you do so if I can do it, you can too ya.

Elaaine,

yea ,.. there is this one time where he turn around wanting to kiss me then just before he kiss he open his eyes and saw the long long thing in my mouth and realise i'm doing the "thermometer thing" so he turn away and go back to sleep instead. I was sort of half asleep while taking the temp hahaha ... babe i wake up wayyyy earlier than you do so if I can do it, you can too ya.

Skye,

Lol....Today is my 2nd day taking the temp. Feel so tension cause scared over sleep. Will try my level best to see my chart. I am using the fertility.com also. I download the apps to my phone. so I key in immediately i got the temp then continue sleep. the wbesite is good. It can link to my phone. So i can log in laptop to see my own chart.

Elaaine,

today i have spottings and its 3 days to my period guess i have to ask hubby to try harder this month LOL ! dont worry too much you will be able to wake up just keep at it and dont worry if you missed a day or two.

Elaaine,

today i have spottings and its 3 days to my period guess i have to ask hubby to try harder this month LOL ! dont worry too much you will be able to wake up just keep at it and dont worry if you missed a day or two.

Skye,

Take it easy. We work hard together. Now I am on my period also. Wanna ask you, our 1st day of period is on spotting or when we see red blood. Cause normally spotting is dark brown colour. A bit confuse, Cause I key in the chart then on my medium flowing, the chart stated 1st day wor.

Elaaine,

skye, isn't spotting a possibility of implantation bleeding?

leongal,

nope, i had implantation bleeding before and its different from your normal spotting.

you dont get bloated like your period pain and the colour of of your period spotting is brown but implantation bleeding is bright red.