The post below was written by our gorgeous Female Saxophonist/Vocalist/TV2 Newscaster AMANDA ANGELS before she handed her position in this forum to me. AMANDA is still very active performing for Weddings and Corporate Events all over Malaysia.

Hi girls. After so many years of experience performing for Weddings all over Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau and Australia...I think it's time I contribute my thoughts which may help you as you plan for your big day.

1) Stay away from KL CIty Centre if possible

The horrible traffic is well known in KL...no matter day or night. You want your guests to arrive happily to your Wedding....and not feel angry and fed up after going through horrible traffic jam just to get to your venue.

You want them to RSVP asap...and if they see that your venue is in a very horrible traffic jam area...they may not be enthusiastic to reply you.

2) Stay away from Bukit Bintang area!

Yes....some of the nice Hotels are there...but with the mega Malls like Pavillion, Sg Wang, BB Plaza, Low Yatt, Lot 10, and many more....traffic is maddening there. Worse is if you insist on having your Wedding on a Saturday there where shoppers go all out and jam pack that area with all sorts of vehicles.

3) Choose a venue with a lot of Parking

One of the worse venues with parking prob is Federal Hotel. They dont even have their own car park!

All your guests will have to go through the trauma of 'berebut' with other cars at other parking areas.

Another poor parking venue is Courtyard restaurant near Wisma Semantan.

In fact.. there are many more venues that are very inconvenient for parking. You have to look carefully when you visit these venues. You dont want to torture your poor guests with this.

4) Which places have a lot of parking?

Saujana Hotel is top on my list. Best of all...it is FREE parking! This is the one and only Hotel that still doesnt charge anyone for parking after more than 25 years.

Other noteable venues with a lot of parking are Eastin hotel, Sunway Hotel, Amada, Palace of Golden Horses, Grand Dorsett Subang and KLang Centro.

If you noticed...all the venues I mentioned above are OUT of KL City Centre.

5) BALLROM WITH PILLARS

Please avoid any venue that has pillars. Pillars are very distracting as they block a lot of view. There are many venues with pillars namely Concorde KL, Chorus Hotel, Ritz Carlton, Federal Hotel and some Chinese restaurants.

6) AVOID VENUES THAT INSIST YOU SHARE WITH OTHER COUPLES

SOme venues can cater to 3 weddings at the same time...but the thing is....you will have to share the area with the other 2 couples!. The only thing separating those 3 weddings are only a thin Curtain...which acts like a 'border'.

That means whatever goes on in the other 2 weddings can be heard CLEARLY and LOUDLY. You dont want that to happen especially when they start to compete with each other and sing KARAOKE to show off to the other 2 Weddings' guests.

The worst I have seen so far is Dynasty Dragon in IOI Mall, Puchong. It is a pasar malam venue for Weddings! Pls avoid this venue at all cost!

7) BUFFET or SIT DOWN DINNER?

After we have performed in hundreds of Wedding shows for both Buffet and Sit Down Dinner...The latter is better for me. The food always taste better when served piping hot compared to buffet where the food is cooked many hours ahead and continously kept warm by candles underneath the trays.

The biggest prob with Buffet wedidng is...your guests will be full after only 20+ minutes! After that....what happens at the table for every guests is the much dreaded : " I look at you...you look at me..and we dont know what else to do'. This is where buffet dinners become a very boring and drag affair.

if you have buffet Dinner...you have to have a great Live Band to keep your guests entertained with a lotta Jokes to make them smile..and pull them to dance too. If not...there really isn't any excitement at all.

my sis had a buffet "garden" wedding 7 yrs ago. it was a bad experience because the restaurant couldn't prepare enough food in time. after the first round was out and finished, it took them almost 1 hour to replenish the food. so the guests were just sitting there hungry and looking at each other. even the first round was not enough to cater to everybody there. we as the host felt so bad. needless to say, the restaurant closed down not long after that lol.

my sis had a buffet "garden" wedding 7 yrs ago. it was a bad experience because the restaurant couldn't prepare enough food in time. after the first round was out and finished, it took them almost 1 hour to replenish the food. so the guests were just sitting there hungry and looking at each other. even the first round was not enough to cater to everybody there. we as the host felt so bad. needless to say, the restaurant closed down not long after that lol.

Sad to hear that happen to your sister's wedding. Buffet is really not a good chocie for Weddings. Worse...if it's in a Garden style Wedding....cos it will be super boring!

8) Please...DON'T have any 'GARDEN WEDDING' in Malaysia!

Look at this thread that discussed in detail all the bad things about Garden Wedding. Many people contibuted to this excellent thread. Many couples always fail to realise how aweful Garden Weddings can be in Malaysia.

http://www.malaysiab..._30#entry396322

it was a dinner though. and the restaurant had 2 sections - indoor and outdoor. family members & close relatives sat inside (got aircon) and friends/acquaintances sat outside with the canopies and mist fans. but it was still hot. and the previous day, it rained!!! also i think the fans which were blowing at full speed totally messed up the guests' hairs. cos when i was out there to take pics with some friends and relatives, my hair suffered the same fate :hair:

9) DONT BELIEVE BLINDLY IF SOMEONE COMMENTS ABOUT THE FOOD QUALITY

I may like ABC Hotel's food. you may not like it. You may like EFG hotel's food. I may not find it anything good at all!

How good the food is...depends greatly on each person's taste. Just because a stanger in the forum said it is good....may not be up to your standard. You have to taste it yourself!

10) CHINESE RESTAURANTS HAVE SMALL STAGE -REMEMBER THIS

You want a venue that has nice and big stage so that it will look grand and classy. Most 5 star hotels have big stage....and that is one of the traits that make them look so much better than the typical puny little Stage in chinese restaurants.

When the stage is small...and you want to have a full Live Band....very hard to accomodate...unless you dont mind a 2 member band. When you have the Wedding Cake, Champagne Fountain and when all the Relatives go up on stage for YUm Seng...alamak...it will look congested like Pasar Malam. I have seen so many times that the relatives have to stand on the floor in front of the stage cos the stage too small. Sigh....they looked really out of place and frankly...they felt silly too being forced to stand there.

It is better to book a Venue with a bigger Stage. one of the best I can recommend is Noble Banquet. Their stage is big, high and wide.

There are a few more Restaurants with bigger stages than other venues.

I recommend any venue as long as you have considered all the important points above, Pls read thoroughly over and over again...cos the more you read it...the more sense it makes.

ya i agree it make sense...

haha, actually although my venue is a hotel, it hits some of the following:

1) Have a pillar

2) Small-medium stage (not really a big concern to me)

3) Parking (not very sure on this though?)

I had the same concern before i made the booking...but i just couldn't resist the lovely function venue and the great food...more importantly, with the good value for money, it's not gonna burn my pocket...haha, guess i'm not so lucky to have it all perfect (venue wise)

good luck to others though ;-)

and thanks to Amanda for the guide...

Ranul...if you booked d...and you like it..then good for you. However...i never liked the pillar issue. No one likes it either. Hehehe...none of your guests will say " Ranul...OMG! I love the pillars that are blocking so many people from seeing the stage!". :D

Ranul...if you booked d...and you like it..then good for you. However...i never liked the pillar issue. No one likes it either. Hehehe...none of your guests will say " Ranul...OMG! I love the pillars that are blocking so many people from seeing the stage!". :D

haha...agree on that point...but booked alr, so just bear with it loh....it's always the 'rich' can get the perfect venue, no? ;-)

in fact the manager has informed me via earlier email correspondence on the pillar...at least she's being honest ^^

actually i just found out a venue that is nice and affordable too....it is the Tropicana Golf and Resort...the wedding venue is the resort ballroom but the food is actually from Tai Thong Group, so the quality should be ok gua...

hope this help to those who are still searching for the perfect venue ;-)

Many brides to be emailed me and asked how come I can comment so much about Wedding Venues and so many do's and dont's about the actual day.

The typical questions are:

1) Amanda....are you a Wedding Planner? If yes..can I hire you to be my Wedding Planner?

2) Amanda....which Venue has the best free MC?

3) Amanda...which date is the best for my Wedding day?

LOL! To answer all your questions...

1) No...I am not a Wedding Planner.

2) As you know already....free MC will not mean good quality. You get what you pay for.

3) Ok...again....I dont know. I am not a 'sifu' in choosing dates. Hey....I dont even believe all these so called 'good dates' at all! :D

Many brides to be emailed me and asked how come I can comment so much about Wedding Venues and so many do's and dont's about the actual day.

The typical questions are:

1) Amanda....are you a Wedding Planner? If yes..can I hire you to be my Wedding Planner?

2) Amanda....which Venue has the best free MC?

3) Amanda...which date is the best for my Wedding day?

LOL! To answer all your questions...

1) No...I am not a Wedding Planner.

2) As you know already....free MC will not mean good quality. You get what you pay for.

3) Ok...again....I dont know. I am not a 'sifu' in choosing dates. Hey....I dont even believe all these so called 'good dates' at all! :D

You have a very informative guide. Do you have any venue in malacca? Thanks