Sign in to follow this  
dryewtw

How about South Africa and Egypt?

actually i'm looking at these 2 not so typical/common destinations fo honeymoon. anyone have any experience/info to share? :rolleyes:

Initially I planned to have honeymoon in Egypt also but unfortunately it was cancelled due to the bombing there. I received an invitation to speak in a Conference in Egypt this Sept but I don't think I can go. :(

initially i also wanted to go egypt for my honeymoon, but due to the idiotic travel agent...i couldn't go...so sad :(

but sud be a nice place...another place to consider is turkey...very beautiful landscape there!!

Parents went to Egypt and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Their advice is just this: don't go during summer because being surrounded by the dessert also means high and dry temperatures!

It's great for people who like cultural experiences - on the top list would be the Pyramids, Temple of Karnak, Sphinx, Cairo and so forth. To give you an idea of what to watch out for, would highly recommend that you check out Lonely Planet's guide on Egypt (just flip through the pages at the bookstore for some ideas).

Guest kirei
Parents went to Egypt and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Their advice is just this: don't go during summer because being surrounded by the dessert also means high and dry temperatures!

It's great for people who like cultural experiences - on the top list would be the Pyramids, Temple of Karnak, Sphinx, Cairo and so forth. To give you an idea of what to watch out for, would highly recommend that you check out Lonely Planet's guide on Egypt (just flip through the pages at the bookstore for some ideas).

a question :

u thk egypt is suitablr as honeymoon destination in terms of romantic/relaxing atmosphere?? i love cultural diff. but comes to romantic/relaxing mood for honeymooners..no ideaa....any comment?

Kirei: It all depends on what you mean by romantic/relaxing. I mean you're not going to be holed up in your hotel room 24/7, right????? ;)

Oh, btw, the River Nile cruise is very "relaxing & romantic"...after all, what is romantic & relaxing is what you make of it.

Guest kirei
Kirei: It all depends on what you mean by romantic/relaxing. I mean you're not going to be holed up in your hotel room 24/7, right????? ;)

Oh, btw, the River Nile cruise is very "relaxing & romantic"...after all, what is romantic & relaxing is what you make of it.

:wub: of cos not 24/7 in the room making babies...i mean can be really relaxing as at beach feel...

oh i will chk out river nile cruise

meiteoh,

your parents went on a group tour with travel agency?

may i know which agency is that? cost, service, accommodation, food, programs etc?

and which month is summer month in egypt?

thanks

Hubby went to south africa before and he enjoyed his trip alot! The most memorable part of the trip, he said, was their interaction with the lion cubs.

hmm, in my opinion, it may not be what you call a honeymoon spot. Perhaps the beach near the Red Sea is... but the other things, i dun think so. It is a pretty tiring trip coz there are lotsa walking involved. The beauty of the temples is simply mind boggling. It's just so magical and amazing.

That said, i didn't take the cruise, so i dunno how relaxing it is. I travelled on vans, trains, sail, camel & taxis... very interesting as you can see more things as opposed to taking the cruise. But definately, not as relaxing!

I just came back from my Honeymoon in South Africa (SA) and Victoria (Vic) Fall! I would say that SA is beautiful especially Cape Town! We also managed to stay in a Safari Lodge. One will be more than surprised to find that nice luxurious lodges could be found in the middle of nowhere! Of course, it was also an unforgettable experience to sight wild life in their natural habitat.

As for the famous Sun City, I would say that it's an "OK" spot only (it's like a slightly better version of SUNWAY LAGOON .....think the Mines Resort is a replica of it..). So, go there only if you have extra time. I would say SA is an interesting country to visit but due to the extremely high crime rates, it's not advisable to go out at night on your own. Guess it's better to join a tour group as well.

As for Victoria Falls, it was majestic and really a magnificent sight standing in front of the largest fall in the world. We stayed at the Zimbabwean side but managed to visit the Zambia side of the fall. Both sides offer a different view of the fall. The sunset river cruise down the Zambezi river was memorable too with nice scenery and wildlife such as elephants, crocrodile, hippos, birds......

hi pandabear.. i'm thinking of south africa too!! :) did u go on your own or with a tour? how many days to do both south africa and victoria falls? how much did u spend? do u think jan is a good time to go? hahaha.. sorry.. so many questions.. i'm just v excited as i'm 2 months away fr my wedding and i haven't even a clue where i'm going for honeymoon yet!! :) thanks!

I just came back from my Honeymoon in South Africa (SA) and Victoria (Vic) Fall! I would say that SA is beautiful especially Cape Town! We also managed to stay in a Safari Lodge. One will be more than surprised to find that nice luxurious lodges could be found in the middle of nowhere! Of course, it was also an unforgettable experience to sight wild life in their natural habitat.

As for the famous Sun City, I would say that it's an "OK" spot only (it's like a slightly better version of SUNWAY LAGOON .....think the Mines Resort is a replica of it..). So, go there only if you have extra time. I would say SA is an interesting country to visit but due to the extremely high crime rates, it's not advisable to go out at night on your own. Guess it's better to join a tour group as well.

As for Victoria Falls, it was majestic and really a magnificent sight standing in front of the largest fall in the world. We stayed at the Zimbabwean side but managed to visit the Zambia side of the fall. Both sides offer a different view of the fall. The sunset river cruise down the Zambezi river was memorable too with nice scenery and wildlife such as elephants, crocrodile, hippos, birds......

hi pandabear.. i'm thinking of south africa too!! :) did u go on your own or with a tour? how many days to do both south africa and victoria falls? how much did u spend? do u think jan is a good time to go? hahaha.. sorry.. so many questions.. i'm just v excited as i'm 2 months away fr my wedding and i haven't even a clue where i'm going for honeymoon yet!! :) thanks!

Hi sseahorsee,

Sorry for the delay in reply as I haven't been checking this site. BTW, my trip to South Africa was with ChanBrothers, a travel agency in S'pore. It was a 10 Days 8 nights tour package that covered Cape Town, Johannesburg, a 2D1N safari & Sun City. The original package was S$3400+ per pax(full boarding except tips & a few optional tours). As we extended out trip to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe (we were the only couple who went), an additional cost of S$1450 per pax was incurred. This extra expenses covered 2 nights stay in Zimbabwe, 1N stay at Jo'berg, a river cruise & a half day tour at Victoria Falls. Jan would be Summer in South Africa. I guess the weather might be hot....Generally the trip was enjoyable but I would strongly advise you to join a package tour as S. Africa is not exactly a very safe place as the crime rates are high. Muggings occur rampantly...Hence, joining a package tour would be safer.