lacmac

Tungsten Wedding Rings

We've been debating on what kind of rings to get.From the usual gold,white gold,silver and platinum to Titanium,chrome and Tungsten.

My FW is not too keen on Gold and for me white gold is pointless as it may as well be silver etc as it looks identical.

But we heard about Tunsten and how durable it is.We are both outgoing adventurer types and could easily dmage out rings.tungsten is extremely hard to damage or scratch.I believe its only a dimond that can scratch it and im sure a hammer could damage it.But for rock climbling or hiking Tungsten would be perfect.

The problem is................where do they sell Tungsten rings in KL?

hey lacmac, just wanted to share my experience.

i didnt manage to find any shops in Klang Valley that sells tungsten rings, but i did notice some for sale on Ali Baba that lists Malaysia as origin address.

i just got my cobalt chrome rings from Titanium Kay because they appear to be the most reputable brand out there. had to return mine because i got the sizes wrong (seriously, get fitted at a proper jeweller, and get the diameter milimeter measurement, dont rely on local ring sizing), but it was a good experience shopping from them. came on time, easy return policy.

sure, have a spend a bit on shipping, but its still way cheaper than going platinum/gold.

btw, this may matter to some ladies, tungsten is a dark metal. cobalt chrome is well, chrome. neither is as brilliant white as platinum. and the ring design will be slightly thicker because it can shatter if it is too thin unlike precious metals. if your FW is fine-boned, it may be a tad uncomfy.

Thank you Rocqui,

Yes i seen them on Alibaba too and also a few other sites.The reason for not buying online is just that you cant touch them or feel the weight and of course you cant try them on.

We tried plenty of rings in KL and because she is boney fingered a lot didnt fit her.

How long did it they take to arrive? And were they expensive? as the ones i seen were very cheap compared to the usual Gold and Platinum.

my fiance got a Tungsten ring too. he's tried on so many but none gave him the "weight" that he wanted. we got it in the US though, from one of the jewelers at a premium outlet. and paid $199 for it. later on we checked online and found most of them on ebay/amazon selling a tungsten wedding band for only less $50. kinda felt ripped off ler. but the thing abt buying online is that you can't feel it.

another thing to note abt tungsten rings is that you cannot do engraving. so he can't have my name on his ring =(

meanwhile my wedding band is totally different from his - white gold with small diamonds around =)

One of the reasons i want a tungsten ring is the weight.Plus tungsten is quite unique,not many people have them.

Most of the ones i have seen online are around the $50.The price is great considering the usual prices for wedding rings but its not just the price that matters,its whether you both like them.

Your right about not trying it on first is a problem.From an earlier post it seams returning or changing for another size is not a problem.

As for the engraving.He could always have you name tattoo'd on his finger under the ring.As long as your name is not too long :)

yeah as of now tungsten wedding rings are still quite an underdog. i personally find it very bulky, but he likes it so i'll leave it up to him since i'm not particular about having the same design for both of us.

but bear in mind that tungsten rings cannot be re-sized. cobalt is a different metal altogether. remember to do your research properly before buying, especially when it involves something (i.e. tungsten wedding ring) that most people wouldn't get.

the tattoooooo... i was the one who wanted to do that hehe. let's see if i could get him to do the same. so whether or not i wear the ring, it doesn't matter =)

also, i don't know if there is such thing as "industry standard", but i found out that the size of the ring differ from one jeweler to another. as in one jeweler says i'm this size, and another says i'm that size. so that's also another thing to note.

Thank you Bewwytoria,

I have been doing some searching for Tungsten rings and seaminly you can have them engraved.But like you said you cannot have them resized.

The sites i looked at offer free returns if they do not fit.But obviously not if engraved.Perhaps i can have them engraved here.

The problem i am having is the ring size.Malaysia has to be different.I can find out almost every other countries ring size and convert them but not Malaysia.

I went to a jewelers today and asked do you know the difference from Malaysian to US size? He said his rings are US size.I said but do you know or can you convert from Malaysian to US size? he just said but they are US size.I gave up and said thank you.

So i will try another shop

yeah i eventually found that that the ring can be engraved by laser. even then i read that it take a powerful laser to do a good job. so i'm not sure if malaysian jewelers have such hi-tech machine or not. maybe we'll get it done in US *hopefully*

that bit abt Malaysia and US sizes i didn't know. but i reckon, if one jeweler can tell me i'm say size 8, and another tells me i'm size 9, i'm guessing it's not a standard throughout the world. but if this is so hard for you, why not just get a tattoo? but then again there are also some things to consider before getting a ring tattoo. many say that part of the hand hurts like hell...... =.=

Hi

We're looking for wedding rings, I was in a jewellers today and the assistant told me Titanium & Tungsten rings are harder wearing for people who do 'hands on work' my partner is a gardener so operates machinery and is lifting stuff about. I wanted to ask if anyone has any knowledge of these kinds of wedding rings and if the assistant is right?

Hey Guys,

Just so you know, tungsten rings and titanium rings cannot be resized!

This means that in a few years time if your fingers expand when you are pregnant, or if you gain weight or in older age the ring won't fit anymore. It will be too tight!

Another thing to keep in mind is that some women's fingers go back down to size after pregnancy, but some women's fingers won't go back down to size again although the swelling will reduce. Same with shoe sizes. Obviously this is not a problem for your husbands........haha

Hi weddingphoto,

Just so you know, many men that operate heavy machinery or do heavy lifting don't wear their wedding rings to work because it is dangerous.

Rings are known for getting their hands caught on things and i've heard stories of people losing fingers because of this. My father-in-law to be used to operate heavy machinery on a farm, one day his finger got caught in machinery because of his wedding ring and he nearly lost it. Since then, he only wears his wedding ring outside of work.

I would rather my husband not wear his ring to work if it means he keeps his ring finger :) but that's just an opinion.........

Hi

We're looking for wedding rings, I was in a jewellers today and the assistant told me Titanium & Tungsten rings are harder wearing for people who do 'hands on work' my partner is a gardener so operates machinery and is lifting stuff about. I wanted to ask if anyone has any knowledge of these kinds of wedding rings and if the assistant is right?

It's the very greatest and proudest thing to wear the titanium, it's very costliest things in the world. You have shared very interesting information about the titanium, thank you so much for sharing with us.

yups i agree that conventional gold is typical stuff ... so we ended up scrapping off the ideas of visiting shop by shop to bargain for an overpriced metal with very simple design without much character.

we went for custom made ringmaker nearby TTDI with our very own design. the price was definitely way better with good workmanship =)

Carefully read the name of the stone on the tag, and check with the seller what he knows about the origin and nature of the stone. Sellers such as agape diamond always indicate this. By the way, you can take a look at agape diamond reviews. This is a pretty good seller of diamond jewelry.