Escudo

Registration of Marriage (ROM) for Msian with Foreigners~

Hi Forumers,

Can please share out what is the procedure for ROM for Msians marrying foreigners?

Thanx

*This works on the basis that you're doing your RoM according to M'sian law THEN register your marriage with the relevant embassies.

Pre-RoM

Main document(s) needed:

Single status letter

For your RoM, your foreign partner will need a Single Status letter (SSL), a copy of his/her passport (and the last page where they got their entry chop) plus 1 passport-sized photo. A SSL is basically a letter from the government of your partner's country stating that s/he is eligible for marriage, is not currently married and that there are no objections*.

* Objection here usually refers to the possibility of a "secret" spouse. It may be a friend who went to a wedding whereby the foreign spouse got married to someone else, etc.

If the SSL is not in English or Malay, it'll have to be translated and then the embassy will need to certify it. The translated copy ONLY will then have to be notarized by Wisma Putra in Putrajaya. The charge is RM10 for the notarization and takes about 30 minutes (if you go during lunch hour). Please retain the receipt!

When you go to any JPN to register your marriage, the officer will give you the form and tell you what to fill in. If you are marrying by regular license, then no worries - the regular way of registering your marriage applies. If you are marrying by regular license AND somewhere else OR by special license, then you'll need a chop by a commissioner of oath. This can be obtained at any court for free. There are a few around - one in Jalan Sultan (PJ State) and another in Shah Alam plus of course Putrajaya.

Special license

Special license is a waiver of the waiting period - it means instead of waiting for 21 days, you can get married after 7 days - but only with valid reason. The fee is RM100 upon approval.

People marrying by special license category can only do it at JPN Shah Alam and your spouse is required to have at least stayed in M'sia for 7 days minimum.

After submission, you will be given a slip with some phone numbers and a date to check if your approval is ready. Once ready, you go back to JPN and pick a date and pay for the fee.

JPN Shah Alam opens every day at 730am and solemnizations are only on Tues, Wed from 730am to 930am.

Post-RoM

After you sign the relevant papers, please obtain two* copies of your marriage certificate in English. The originals MUST BE notarized by Wisma Putra, otherwise it will not be recognized by the embassy. If your partner or you are from a non-English speaking country, this will have to be translated (not necessary for notarization).

The certificates must be then be submitted to the Embassy and from hereon, you'll wait for their side to issue you with THEIR own version of the marriage certificate.

* This is the requirement of the French embassy - they need one for their records.

If I have more info, I'll buzz you folks, ya?

In some countries, it is much easier to first register your marriage in the foreign partner's country. Such laws are changing periodically so best thing is to also call up and ask. For me in Netherlands, if we register first in Malaysia, we cannot just bring the cert to NL and get registered here automatically. It is even a longer and more paper work than the general procedure to ROM in Netherland than if we ROM in netherlands first. If we ROM first in NL, we can bring the marriage cert to malaysia, go to JPN and they will daftar us just like that on the same day.

Zelda,

Your case is interesting because one of my friends RoMed here because the govvy in Netherlands was giving her so many problems (taking very long to get the cert and blah, blah) so she RoMed here.

IN OTHER WORDS, check with the embassy yah?

In my case, to RoM in France would be very problematic for me as all my docs will need translation and I'll need papers from the civil council and they can take up to months. It's expensive and time-consuming. (Did you know that my FH had to pay 60 euros for the embassy to certify the translated SSL for him?) Plus they have a date for everything - anything more than six months old and you have to do it all over again! =.=

Hello everyone,

My fiancé and I will be flying to KL on 19th Sept. We will stay until 3rd Oct.

I am not sure if this will give us enough time to get registered, since my fiancé is British, and I am Malaysian. We live in the UK.

He will have his Single Status Letter ready from the UK before 19th Sept.

Could someone please advise if we could complete the whole process on or before 3rd Oct?

Thank you very much.

Glad someone posted this. I am just wondering if we HAVE to register in both countries. HB's citizen in Australia. We've already registered in Australia. Do I still need to register back in Malaysia? What will happen if I don't?

as1cCES002B0000MTExNDMwMnN8MDAwMTY0NHN8T

Diana,

even if you have ROM in Australia, you'll still need to inform the Malaysian Embassy on your marital status.

If the SSL is not in English or Malay, it'll have to be translated and then the embassy will need to certify it. The translated copy ONLY will then have to be notarized by Wisma Putra in Putrajaya. The charge is RM10 for the notarization and takes about 30 minutes (if you go during lunch hour). Please retain the receipt!

Where should the SSL need to send for translate? Any translator or cerfitied translator ?

mhyap,

THanks for that! But do you have any idea if I'd have to lodge in forms like what Mabel has said? And what are the circumstances if I don't?

as1cCES002B0000MTExNDMwMnN8MDAwMTY0NHN8T

Diana, you'd have to pay a fine if you don't register your marriage by a certain time frame, I think. If you have children and you'd like to claim M'sian citizenship for your child, you'll also need to show proof of your marriage and you could face more problems doing that. Anyway, if anything were to happen in the near future, at least you are protected by law from both your new country and your home country. It's actually very easy - you just need to bring your Ozzie marriage cert and register it with the embassy in Canberra. For more details, please contact the embassy in Canberra, k?

hi, i am asking on behalf of my friend.

she is married to an american citizen, she registered in the states already but not yet register in malaysia. she wants to proceed with ROm in malaysia.

any one can give advise on how to proceed?

Tainhui, she doesn't need to ROM in M'sia since she has registered in the US already. All she needs to do is bring her marriage certificate to the M'sian embassy in the US (wherever she is) and register her US marriage with them. She can check with the M'sian consulate in the US for more details.

Btw, there is a time limit on this - I think she has to do it within six months otherwise she may be fined for the delay.

mabel,

they registered in US but now they are in m'sia because her hb is assigned by his company to be in m'sia for a year or 2.

in this case wat she can do??

btw, she is going to give birth in december... :)

Just call up JPN and ask them what the procedure is, and where she can go to register her marriage (Putrajaya, Jln Sultan branch, Shah Alam, and etc). I hope it hasn't been too long. I believe all they need is a copy of the marriage cert, her HB's passport and her I/C. :)

Hi gals.

I am a Malaysian currently living in Sydney, Australia and is going to get married to an English guy.

Will be having a church and dinner reception in KL in Feb next year.

Question is do I need to get officially married here in Australia first before going back to KL in Feb? Can I do the KL ceremonies first then return to Sydney for the official registration (ROM)?

I found out that we will need to be in Malaysia for approx 1 month in order to register the wedding in Malaysia.

So I am quite confused how I can go about doing all these and meeting the requirements.

What do you all know about the procedures? :(

Thanks,

May

1happytiger

hi..i m married to a foreigner too,wat i know is,u may do the the registration in aus 1st then do in malaysia,or the other way round..if u do in aus 1st,u need to do in malaysia in 6months after ur registration in aus...but i think u can do the registration in malaysia embassy in aus...coz i did mind in brunei...so don have to purposely go back malaysia...mayb u can ask them

i believe u may do the ceremony b4 the registration..is js normally ppl wil ROM 1st b4 ceremony,as thats the legal paper...

hope i can help..

This is very helpful for me and my fiance. I hope we can get teh special license with no fuss. Is that all the documents we need? Passport, passport size photos, SSL, notorized forms adn RM 100?

Thanks.

*This works on the basis that you're doing your RoM according to M'sian law THEN register your marriage with the relevant embassies.

Pre-RoM

Main document(s) needed:

Single status letter

For your RoM, your foreign partner will need a Single Status letter (SSL), a copy of his/her passport (and the last page where they got their entry chop) plus 1 passport-sized photo. A SSL is basically a letter from the government of your partner's country stating that s/he is eligible for marriage, is not currently married and that there are no objections*.

* Objection here usually refers to the possibility of a "secret" spouse. It may be a friend who went to a wedding whereby the foreign spouse got married to someone else, etc.

When you go to any JPN to register your marriage, the officer will give you the form and tell you what to fill in. If you are marrying by regular license, then no worries - the regular way of registering your marriage applies. If you are marrying by regular license AND somewhere else OR by special license, then you'll need a chop by a commissioner of oath. This can be obtained at any court for free. There are a few around - one in Jalan Sultan (PJ State) and another in Shah Alam plus of course Putrajaya.

Special license

Special license is a waiver of the waiting period - it means instead of waiting for 21 days, you can get married after 7 days - but only with valid reason. The fee is RM100 upon approval.

People marrying by special license category can only do it at JPN Shah Alam and your spouse is required to have at least stayed in M'sia for 7 days minimum.

After submission, you will be given a slip with some phone numbers and a date to check if your approval is ready. Once ready, you go back to JPN and pick a date and pay for the fee.

JPN Shah Alam opens every day at 730am and solemnizations are only on Tues, Wed from 730am to 930am.

Post-RoM

After you sign the relevant papers, please obtain two* copies of your marriage certificate in English. The originals MUST BE notarized by Wisma Putra, otherwise it will not be recognized by the embassy. If your partner or you are from a non-English speaking country, this will have to be translated (not necessary for notarization).

The certificates must be then be submitted to the Embassy and from hereon, you'll wait for their side to issue you with THEIR own version of the marriage certificate.

* This is the requirement of the French embassy - they need one for their records.

If I have more info, I'll buzz you folks, ya?

Hi Orientality

I have just applied for ROM with my fiance who is British.

This is the procedure that we followed:

1. Declare his single status at notary public

To do this, your fiance needs to go to a Notary Public (you can find a list at the Malaysian Bar Council website http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/) and declare his single status. It's a very simple procedure, took less than 30 mins and we got the letters on the spot.

Make sure he gets at least 2 copies of the letter, as British High Comm needs one and Jabatan Pendaftaran will also ask for one. It cost us RM 63 per copy.

2. Apply for Single Status Letter from British High Comm.

The same day itself, he went to British High Comm in Jalan Ampang to apply for the letter. Need to take your passport, his passport and the single status letter.

He was given a receipt and asked to collect the letter in next 2 days. He called to check on letter next day and was told to return the following day. When he went to collect the letter, he needed his passport only, and paid the fee of RM 320.

3. Single Status Letter endorsement by Wisma Putra

Go to Kementerian Luar Negeri (KLN) in Putrajaya, it's on a hill a bit away from the main govt buildings in Putrajaya. You need to go to the Consular Division in WP1, the first building on your right.

Just need to give the girl at the counter your documents (his passport, your IC and the single status letter) then she will give you a number.

Took us about 45 mins to get the endorsement, and we paid RM 20.

4. Go to Jabatan Pendaftaran to apply for ROM.

We chose to do it at Putrajaya since we were already there. We took a number and filled up the form, then had the forms checked by the girl at the counter, and then went on to the official who checked all the documents and booked the date for us (earliest date is 21 days after submitting application, latest date is 6 months).

He then issued an appointment letter. Payment is RM 30, payable on actual ROM day. Total procedure took us about an hour.

For ROM application you need the following:

a. Your IC

b. His passport

c. Photostat copy of his passport: first page and most recent entry stamp into Malaysia (he needs to have been in Malaysia at least 7 days before you go to apply for ROM)

d. Single status letter with endorsement from Wisma Putra

e. Single status declaration from Notary Public (they don't say you need this on JPN website, but we had a spare just in case and the guy at the counter asked for it, so it was a good thing we got it)

f. 1 passport size photo each (make sure it's blue background)

Once you have submitted application for ROM, both of you are free to travel overseas. So you only need to be in Malaysia for 7 days before applying, and once application is submitted no need to be here anymore until the ROM date.

NOTE: The procedure varies for different nationalities depending on the requirements of each embassy. For example, we checked with German Embassy (my fiance has german passport too) and the procedure was quite complex, coz I needed to get single status letter, then we'd have to translate everything to German, and they need to send documents back to Germany for verification, etc, so entire procedure would have taken too long. That's why we decided to go with the British High Comm, coz the procedure was quite straightforward. So it's very important to check with the relevant embassy well in advance to ensure that you have enough time to get all the documentation done.

Thank you so much bluskyes,

My fiance is an American. He applied his SSL there in the states and have it endorsed at Malaysia Embassy in NY.

so we have to have another ssl from notory public? that's new for me.Do we need that? Pls advise.

Hi Orientality

I have just applied for ROM with my fiance who is British.

This is the procedure that we followed:

1. Declare his single status at notary public

To do this, your fiance needs to go to a Notary Public (you can find a list at the Malaysian Bar Council website http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/) and declare his single status. It's a very simple procedure, took less than 30 mins and we got the letters on the spot.

Make sure he gets at least 2 copies of the letter, as British High Comm needs one and Jabatan Pendaftaran will also ask for one. It cost us RM 63 per copy.

2. Apply for Single Status Letter from British High Comm.

The same day itself, he went to British High Comm in Jalan Ampang to apply for the letter. Need to take your passport, his passport and the single status letter.

He was given a receipt and asked to collect the letter in next 2 days. He called to check on letter next day and was told to return the following day. When he went to collect the letter, he needed his passport only, and paid the fee of RM 320.

3. Single Status Letter endorsement by Wisma Putra

Go to Kementerian Luar Negeri (KLN) in Putrajaya, it's on a hill a bit away from the main govt buildings in Putrajaya. You need to go to the Consular Division in WP1, the first building on your right.

Just need to give the girl at the counter your documents (his passport, your IC and the single status letter) then she will give you a number.

Took us about 45 mins to get the endorsement, and we paid RM 20.

4. Go to Jabatan Pendaftaran to apply for ROM.

We chose to do it at Putrajaya since we were already there. We took a number and filled up the form, then had the forms checked by the girl at the counter, and then went on to the official who checked all the documents and booked the date for us (earliest date is 21 days after submitting application, latest date is 6 months).

He then issued an appointment letter. Payment is RM 30, payable on actual ROM day. Total procedure took us about an hour.

For ROM application you need the following:

a. Your IC

b. His passport

c. Photostat copy of his passport: first page and most recent entry stamp into Malaysia (he needs to have been in Malaysia at least 7 days before you go to apply for ROM)

d. Single status letter with endorsement from Wisma Putra

e. Single status declaration from Notary Public (they don't say you need this on JPN website, but we had a spare just in case and the guy at the counter asked for it, so it was a good thing we got it)

f. 1 passport size photo each (make sure it's blue background)

Once you have submitted application for ROM, both of you are free to travel overseas. So you only need to be in Malaysia for 7 days before applying, and once application is submitted no need to be here anymore until the ROM date.

NOTE: The procedure varies for different nationalities depending on the requirements of each embassy. For example, we checked with German Embassy (my fiance has german passport too) and the procedure was quite complex, coz I needed to get single status letter, then we'd have to translate everything to German, and they need to send documents back to Germany for verification, etc, so entire procedure would have taken too long. That's why we decided to go with the British High Comm, coz the procedure was quite straightforward. So it's very important to check with the relevant embassy well in advance to ensure that you have enough time to get all the documentation done.

For us, we didn't have to get the SSL from the Notary Public/Commissioner of Oath. We just went with the SSL my HB got from the French embassy (signed and endorsed by the Consular at Wisma Putra) and in return, they gave us the ROM form to take to the Commissioner of Oath. There, the Commissioner just ask us our names, date of birth and swear that we're single. After that, she chopped and signed it and that's it.

On the day of the ROM, we took the form and other documents in and waited for our turn to sign the papers. :)

Have you checked with the American authorities?

Hi meiteoh,

my fiance did, and he has been guided by malaysian embassy at ny. really hope its all that is needed. SSL been done by some american govt office in the states and then they send it to malaysian embassy in ny to be endorsed.

cheers.

For us, we didn't have to get the SSL from the Notary Public/Commissioner of Oath. We just went with the SSL my HB got from the French embassy (signed and endorsed by the Consular at Wisma Putra) and in return, they gave us the ROM form to take to the Commissioner of Oath. There, the Commissioner just ask us our names, date of birth and swear that we're single. After that, she chopped and signed it and that's it.

On the day of the ROM, we took the form and other documents in and waited for our turn to sign the papers. :)

Have you checked with the American authorities?

Hi ok so I am marrying an American and we have to do the ROM in the US coz I'll be goin over with fiance visa.

But after that, if we wanted to live in Malaysia under the Spouse Programme. Will it work if we just notify the Malaysian side about our marriage? Or do you have to do the ROM in Malaysia to be eligible to participate in the Spouse Programme??

Howww aahhhhhh

hie... i'm new here.

So far what i see is all of u marrying a foreigner (guai lou). But what if malaysian marrying indo gal (chinese).

How does she attain d SSL? could she actually settle everything in malaysia or haf to go back to indo to get d SSL?

Any documents needed to attain d SSL?