ranul

When there's no one helping you on your wedding preparation...

The wedding is yours, so just make it like how you want it to be...everyone seems to be very 'creative' in demanding this and that, but are they really helping at all? The answer is plain 'No', so why bother fulfilling their command on how to run your wedding?

Sorry, I need to rant a bit here, else I would be in mental hospital on my wedding day...

I'm so regret that I did not make enough research before booking for banquet and bridal service. That was very early stage of my wedding planning, and someone close to me said that she'd be my wedding planner (it's always her dream to be an event planner) and will arrange everything for me. I felt so glad that time that I listen to everything that she suggested...because she's someone close to me I trusted her and felt compelled to fulfill her demand, ignoring my own wish and my fh that time...

Over the time though, I realized that she's good in giving suggestion, but no way she's a pro wedding planner...she's only good at looking for expensive vendors for me, knowing well my wedding budget...when I rejected nicely saying it's out of my budget, she would pull this long face and said, "ok, you do yourself, i don't want bother anymore"...what kind of attitude is this? do you speak like this to your client? (although i don't really pay her, but it was her own will to be my wedding planner that time)

At the end I have to work out everything on my own, from looking for vendors that fit my budget to planning the coordination and program on my actual day...there's one time when I cried suddenly at my working place due to feeling depressed...luckily no one saw me...

My biggest disappointment is, her friend has just married and she played some parts in helping her friend's wedding...she looked so willing to help, no sour face, no complaints...in fact, she helped from the proposal to actual wedding day for her friend...but when I requested just a simple help to crop two pictures for my wedding favour (she's a designer), she immediately turn sour...not only this, in fact every time I talked about my wedding, she would said something not nice to hear...

All this while I just kept to myself...I didn't even confront her back, because I don't want start an argument because of my wedding....Now, almost everything I did myself...the only thing she did for me was probably shoot some pictures to be presented during my banquet....even that she haven't really start to make the photo mv...i just noticed i don't put high hope anymore for the video to be materialized...

Now, I just wish I am strong enough to endure all these till my wedding in October...fh has been nice to listen to my rants, offer his opinions, drive me and accompany me to meet all the vendors (initially I told him no need help anything as i have already have a 'good helper')........gosh, I still have plenty to do....

i just got married. i hear you totally.

designers have this thing about their opinion - they only like to hear that their ideas are accepted. if you reject their proposal, they can and almost always turn sour.

there are many brides here in this forum. you can do a search if you are looking for things, or opinions on vendors. I planned my wedding together with my hubby. i'm lucky i've got some background in events and hence know how to get things done. there will always be lots of "cooks" adding extra "ingredients" to your wedding so it's up to you to put it in your stride and stick to what you and your hubby-to-be want. after all, it's your wedding, not your designer friend.

stay calm and carry on!

Hi Ranul, sorry to know about ur situation.i also having same matter that is no one are helping...even they said if u need help just tell me.but when we r online on fb the person dun even ask how is ur preparation on ur wedding.i ask my niece to be my bridemaid she is 14this year I been close to her we stay together for a while when I am still in college last time.so my sis ask me to sponsor her dress so I agree then the other day I told the gal can I request u to follow my theme colour huh?immediately my sis shut me down wah my daughter want to wear wat colour u also want to control huh? I felt hurt immediately...I am the bride and u ask me to sponsor the dress n I dun get to choose wat colour? Then in the first place dun ask me to sponsor...very sad.now this is pending.i just got my apartment key few days ago and I starting to get more stress ever...busy with wedding preparation and moving new place.

Sorry out of topic pula....actually I just like to advise u if u have the budget pls allow stranger to do the job for u..cos the more close the person to u the more attitude they will behave.like me right now my actually day banquet deco I assigned someone do it for me instead of asking some relative for help...very difficult one.once u pay money the person will just do whatever u ask and they won't say hey this not suitable or other excuses they will only tell u yes or not,it will be much more easy for us to make decision.good luck my dear as we both are the October bride.

this sounds all so familiar. i'm in a similar boat but i have never expected anybody to help me since the very beginning. not even FH. and true enough, he did not do anything because he wasn't even around (working overseas). ask him for opinion on anything, standard reply applies: "up to you", "oh ok", "anything". it is as if i'm the only host in this whole damned thing. so i reckoned if there's no high hopes, there won't be much disappointment. and i found most of my vendors here in MB, thanks to all contributors here. perhaps you should've stopped your "designer" friend from "helping" once she started showing her long face. get those really pro ones instead. and know that not all "pro's" are expensive. and expensive ones may not necessarily be pro or whatever they call themselves. don't worry, there's still time til october. you can also try asking one vendor to intro another vendor - surely these ppl know ppl in the industry.

my FSIL also offered to help but i know her well enough to understand that she's got expensive taste but is cheapskate. thus the things that she looks at will be 5 star standard and price, but she was never the one and will never make herself the one to pay, so it's just so easy for her to say. what i felt is expensive (cos i don't want to spend much on those), she thinks it's so cheap. and what i feel i'm willing and is worth to pay for, she says it's very expensive. even that couple of hundred makes a different when you total up the figures. in the end i didn't really wanna involve the in-laws although they do attempt to help. our thinking and preferences are very different and it's not easy to tell them you don't like what they like. so i really tried to keep this wedding very simple, the simplest possible. but that said, there were still a lot to read up on for that one day. sometimes i wonder what the fuss is all about. if i could choose i wouldn't have agreed to have a wedding dinner at the first place because i should've known better that ppl will just tell you what to do, what you should and shouldn't do, how it should be done, what everybody else is doing, but they could never really present you with their "help" in any form that they promised, that you could really use. and yet, it is your wedding.

lol sidetracked to my story pulak. guess we all just need this mental support for each other as our big day is approaching in a few mths time. know that you are not alone =)

I got things to add...if possible pls let outsider to handle our wedding then our so called friends n relatives..cannot count on them. That is why most of the brides is the most stressful person in whole wedding process..my hubby also can avoid he avoid the topic when talk abt wedding he said u handle la, up tp u la hahaha so the same like Bewwtoria.but her hubby working oversea but mine same house also same la.they guy thinking y we take everything so seriously from flowers until banquet everything also have own expectation.once in a life time ma...

designers have this thing about their opinion - they only like to hear that their ideas are accepted. if you reject their proposal, they can and almost always turn sour.

omg i'm so agree with u on this point!!! i noticed most designers think their ideas are the best and always refuse to accept feedback or criticism...lol...

Anyway, thanks for your 'stay calm, carry on' ^^

@chubbyangel,

i think it's not right for your sis to spoil your wedding theme color...it's your wedding afterall...you don't want your wedding theme of lavendar then suddenly ur bridesmaid wear yellow (just example, lol)...immediately spoil the atmosphere...

for me, i'm still thinking whether to sponsor my flower girl's dress...bridesmaid, sorry lah, really no budget for that...i may only buy some accessories for my bridesmaid and jimui...hope they understand...

uhm...if i have the budget, i would love to have vendors do it for me too...but i do not...

think positive aside, at least i learn a lot of things in doing the preparation and planning, plus point for that ;-)

@bewwytoria,

like you, i also never ask FSIL to help...at least yours better, offering help although she might have this expensive taste but cheapskate...mine...not even ask how's the preparation going, never even talk about the wedding...in fact, she didn't seem excited at all her brother is getting married...very big difference compared to another brother's wedding last year...can u imagine how sad i am? it's like as if the wedding is nothing to her, as if i am not a fmily member wtf...i don't expect any help from her anyway, but the way she treat the wedding is like couldn't be bother...

i once told fh on my feeling...he said, the wedding is ours, how other people think we cannot control, so just enjoy our wedding...it does console me a bit, but sometimes u can't help thinking what would happen to u when u marry into the family...gosh...

and like you, if i could turn back the time, i would not agree to hold a banquet as well...take up too much time, budget and resources...i might only sign the paper, then officially husband and wife, then go honeymoon...no hustle bustle...

To all who reply here...knowing i'm not alone make me feel more relieved...thanks a lot... :)

I got things to add...if possible pls let outsider to handle our wedding then our so called friends n relatives..cannot count on them. That is why most of the brides is the most stressful person in whole wedding process..my hubby also can avoid he avoid the topic when talk abt wedding he said u handle la, up tp u la hahaha so the same like Bewwtoria.but her hubby working oversea but mine same house also same la.they guy thinking y we take everything so seriously from flowers until banquet everything also have own expectation.once in a life time ma...

Yes...100% agree!! It is better to have oursiders to do the job than family members.

Dear Ranul,

Happy to hear that your future hubby is so helpful. I am just on my way to prepare my ROM in year 2013, and my future husband seems to have this "up to you" attitude already... ZzZzzzZZzz... I own an event company in KL and I have done so many wedding function for clients but yet I felt doing own wedding preparation was so tiring. (Especially the non-stop phone call from parents asking this and that).

Future hubby was a designer for publication, those photographer he work with all charge me extremely expensive price even though give discount already. (But sometimes I wonder if I should engage normal photographer instead of those famous one, some of them shows good artwork also). Luckily the venue, decoration and av part could actually save me a bit of money. And now I am waiting for my future husband to design our ROM invites, it takes ages... Haih...

Your wedding is in October, you better confirm your thing as soon as possible. If you do last minute booking, a lot of vendor will sembelih you. Even my friend ask me to help in engaging 3 pcs live band in September, I also find it difficult as most of the nice band are fully booked and I wouldn't want to introduce her those non-professional band.

What is lacking from your side? Anything I can help let me know. (No worries, I don't plan do business here... Hehe....). and how's the projector price you get from the number I gave you earlier? Expensive kah? The cheapest way is you tell them you go and collect it, if you ask them to come and fix is definitely going to cost you a bomb.

I did almost everything by myself, except for few things that I left it to others to handle it for me. Like live band performance on that night, I left it to my brother and the music teacher to handle, they did a good job, from choosing the songs, rehearsal every week till my wedding night. My childhood montage was done by my colleague and she did a good job. Other than that was all by myself. My HB just be there to give some suggestions/ideas and helped around if he can and of course $$ is from his pocket. =P

that is just right on the spot - the bride is the most stressed out one. everyone else will just talk talk talk and not do anything. or promise/offer to help but still not do anything. they give suggestions and yet, gets nothing done. actually come to think of it, my in-laws are not that bad as they know it's partially because of them that i'm kinda forced to have the wedding in seremban. part of it was also because i couldn't find a venue in KL at first - that's the most overwhelming part and with no one to help!!! even then in seremban, i didnt even get to choose the venue that i like. they know i don't like that venue and i almost secured the booking in a hotel but FFIL wanted to save money for the son and kept nagging us to go to this chinese restaurant. damn bengang :growl:

as for FSIL, she eventually didn't really help with anything because she's just busy looking for her things for her own wedding which is more than 1 year ahead. her FH is an angmoh so she's so proud and desperate to be getting married overseas, so she also don't really bother abt helping with mine. actually both my and FH's family don't seem happy that we're getting married also. and it shows on their face. my mom is just scared that i'd abandon the family cos i'll be following hubby later. so imagine the pull-hair stress from the wedding preparation plus the mom nonstop asking how long i'll be gone (3 mths? 6 mths?), or pushing us to go to somewhere nearer like singapore or china (which we totally dislike). but never once asked how i'm doing and how the preparation is at this stage. %*^!@#$ that. i'm really not sure if i'd still be able to enjoy myself on that day. feel so tired and burn out i don't even feel like doing anything already. :hair:

it's good to let out steam once in a while! feels better after doing that.

i did my own preparations and read a lot of forums in malaysiabrides. really a lot of help here.

also had a lot of outburst here and then, especially when it was nearer to my AD! the last few days were stressful (plus lack of sleep). but everything turned out fine in the end.

if you need help, just ask it here. there's a lot of ppl who can assist you.

it's your wedding! some people forget that it's your big day and turn nasty when you don't follow their suggestions or don't use their help.

just forget about them, not worth your time stressing over this kind of ppl.

as long as you and your FH are happy, it's all that matters.

better get all the bigger task done, so you can do all the smaller details. like the itinerary, the transportation of your things...etc.

make sure to plan until the very last detail.

thanks a lot girls...let's motivate each other towards our big days...and congratulations to all of you beautiful brides :)

Syrene,

Let me know if you need help on the photography. I am the official vendor in MB. Hope with my 6 years experience and connection with other vendors like MUA, musical bands, videographers, I would be able to assist you. :)

Dear Ranul,

Happy to hear that your future hubby is so helpful. I am just on my way to prepare my ROM in year 2013, and my future husband seems to have this "up to you" attitude already... ZzZzzzZZzz... I own an event company in KL and I have done so many wedding function for clients but yet I felt doing own wedding preparation was so tiring. (Especially the non-stop phone call from parents asking this and that).

Future hubby was a designer for publication, those photographer he work with all charge me extremely expensive price even though give discount already. (But sometimes I wonder if I should engage normal photographer instead of those famous one, some of them shows good artwork also). Luckily the venue, decoration and av part could actually save me a bit of money. And now I am waiting for my future husband to design our ROM invites, it takes ages... Haih...

Your wedding is in October, you better confirm your thing as soon as possible. If you do last minute booking, a lot of vendor will sembelih you. Even my friend ask me to help in engaging 3 pcs live band in September, I also find it difficult as most of the nice band are fully booked and I wouldn't want to introduce her those non-professional band.

What is lacking from your side? Anything I can help let me know. (No worries, I don't plan do business here... Hehe....). and how's the projector price you get from the number I gave you earlier? Expensive kah? The cheapest way is you tell them you go and collect it, if you ask them to come and fix is definitely going to cost you a bomb.

Syrene,

Let me know if you need help on the photography. I am the official vendor in MB. Hope with my 6 years experience and connection with other vendors like MUA, musical bands, videographers, I would be able to assist you. :)

Dear Ranul,

Dear John,

Would you mind to send your portfolio to lautingfang@gmail.com? MUA, Live band and even wedding day photographer I will get my own supplier to do it. Now I am looking for pre-wedding shoot, cause we are not planning to do it in studio. Preferably outdoor shoot.

Dear Ranul,

Thanks for offering...

Yes, there's something I need advice, not sure if you know about this?

Since you own an event company, thought u may know this...wah, don't charge me consultation fee xD xD

Do u know what is the function of Direct Injection Box? The hotel said i need to rent DI box for audio transfer from laptop to in-house system. But i thought a speaker should has cable to connect the input, just like a computer to a speaker?

Or those speaker in hotels are different? haha...noob here =.="

thanks ya :)

btw, so nice u own an event company...i have always like planning an event lol...

Dear Ranul,

Thanks for offering...

Since you own an event company, thought u may know this...wah, don't charge me consultation fee xD xD

Do u know what is the function of Direct Injection Box? The hotel said i need to rent DI box for audio transfer from laptop to in-house system. But i thought a speaker should has cable to connect the input, just like a computer to a speaker?

btw, so nice u own an event company...i have always like planning an event lol...

Dear Ranul,

Yes, you need a DI Box for the laptop audio it is different from your computer but no one is going to charge you DI box one. (DI box is basically to transfer audio and fine tune from either band or laptop input) It should be come together with your wedding package la. May I know which hotel you are holding your wedding reception? During your negotiation with the hotel, you can actually ask them to waive the charges of these equipment as they have this all in their av room. Since you holding your wedding in hotel, why you need to rent projector also? You should be entitled free projector and screen ma. ZzzZzzz...

Dear Ranul,

Thanks for offering...

Dear Ranul,

Yes, you need a DI Box for the laptop audio it is different from your computer but no one is going to charge you DI box one. (DI box is basically to transfer audio and fine tune from either band or laptop input) It should be come together with your wedding package la. May I know which hotel you are holding your wedding reception? During your negotiation with the hotel, you can actually ask them to waive the charges of these equipment as they have this all in their av room. Since you holding your wedding in hotel, why you need to rent projector also? You should be entitled free projector and screen ma. ZzzZzzz...

yaloh...when booked that time dunno DI Box is required but not included in package =.=" the hotel only provide basic pa, one mike and projector screens. Others like DI box, projectors and VGA splitter not included =.="

even if complimentary like most hotels i think most probably already covered in the package price...haha

anyway, thanks for your explanation :)

At least i'm now convinced that DI box is required....luckily the hotel charge RM85 only for DI box...but still hope can find cheaper one...

You would not know if you not from Sound & Light background, that is why sometimes engage an event company for wedding is quite a good idea, but you better go for those that you are close with la... They can help you request quite a number of item from hotel for FREE.(If it is just business to business, then you will end up paying more). Wedding package in most of the hotel is fixed price as they will give you day-use room, overnight room and those extra services like spa la, bla bla bla~ which you don't really need it.

RM 85 just give them lo, no choice la... You rent from outside people also don't know how to charge you. Haha...or the other option was ask the vendor who rent you projector and VGA splitter to bring the DI Box for you, it might be cheaper... Just a friendly reminder ya, if your wedding venue is big please ensure that you rent signal booster. If not your sound and image on projector is slow by few seconds.

My own wedding dinner I think I will also engage other event partner to do for me, as my colleague and partners is also my invited guest if ask them to work very paiseh...

You would not know if you not from Sound & Light background, that is why sometimes engage an event company for wedding is quite a good idea, but you better go for those that you are close with la... They can help you request quite a number of item from hotel for FREE.(If it is just business to business, then you will end up paying more). Wedding package in most of the hotel is fixed price as they will give you day-use room, overnight room and those extra services like spa la, bla bla bla~ which you don't really need it.

RM 85 just give them lo, no choice la... You rent from outside people also don't know how to charge you. Haha...or the other option was ask the vendor who rent you projector and VGA splitter to bring the DI Box for you, it might be cheaper... Just a friendly reminder ya, if your wedding venue is big please ensure that you rent signal booster. If not your sound and image on projector is slow by few seconds.

My own wedding dinner I think I will also engage other event partner to do for me, as my colleague and partners is also my invited guest if ask them to work very paiseh...

Yaloh...not from that background, before this never even heard of DI Box and VGA Splitter, haha...learn something new :P

Ya, if I can turn back time, maybe I'll consider hiring an event company...save all the stress lol

I hv asked the projector vendors...some hv some dun hv...the one i think most probably i'll hire dun hv...so i'll rent from hotel instead...

How big is big ar? I think my wedding venue is not so big lah, it's for 200-250 pax only...or is it big? haha...

syrene, it'll be easier for u to hire a good planner since u r in the industry and know the market? hehe, lucky u ^^ congrats ya :)

btw, u r such a helpful here...i think ur tips is useful to all the BTBs here ;-)

200-250 is alright la, you don't need a signal booster for that unless the hotel is giving you a big big banquet hall.

Sometimes hor, when both you and husband in event related industry banyak susah one. Like me la, my future hubby is a designer in a photography magazine publication. Then he will show you tans of super impressive picture from those famous photographer like Jen Siow, Keda.Z (Without counting the budget at all)... Summmore he want to design all the thing on his own, mati lo now... His artwork is nice la, but so slow one, knot rush him also.... (Sometimes very geram when no progress) Work with those people you close with banyak susah one la, they gave u good discount but then you will be a bit paiseh to request for more. Like live band wise, my band give me free performance but I decided to hire other band so that my friends don't ended up whole night on stage.

Oh ya, where you guys take the pre-wedding pictures? Should I take it in Bali or how, I see some of the profile got people take wedding picture in Siam Reap also very nice. I might want to do a multimedia show for maybe 3-5 mins of our love story in animation, will it be alright ah? I a bit takut adult don't enjoy it leh...

200-250 is alright la, you don't need a signal booster for that unless the hotel is giving you a big big banquet hall.

Sometimes hor, when both you and husband in event related industry banyak susah one. Like me la, my future hubby is a designer in a photography magazine publication. Then he will show you tans of super impressive picture from those famous photographer like Jen Siow, Keda.Z (Without counting the budget at all)... Summmore he want to design all the thing on his own, mati lo now... His artwork is nice la, but so slow one, knot rush him also.... (Sometimes very geram when no progress) Work with those people you close with banyak susah one la, they gave u good discount but then you will be a bit paiseh to request for more. Like live band wise, my band give me free performance but I decided to hire other band so that my friends don't ended up whole night on stage.

Oh ya, where you guys take the pre-wedding pictures? Should I take it in Bali or how, I see some of the profile got people take wedding picture in Siam Reap also very nice. I might want to do a multimedia show for maybe 3-5 mins of our love story in animation, will it be alright ah? I a bit takut adult don't enjoy it leh...

ya i think so i dont need a signal booster ^^

ur fh good mah...at least he is eager to do something for both of u and for the wedding, and best of all it's out of his initiative ^^

let him take his time to do ;-)

pre-wedding photo...i take at local only....Bali would be nice, but i think Siem Reap is not bad too..!! Ever thought of taking photo at Shanghai? It would be oriental + modern feel; love it so much ^^

Actually, imo, anywhere also nice as long as both of u enjoy the process and of coz, depends on the photographer skills ;-)

Have fun oh, and don't forget to share your beautiful pictures if you son't mind ^^

For all of you that reply to this post, I want to say thanks for sharing all these feelings and yes, i am not alone as well. Same as Ranul, I cried out loud once at working place because no one was there to help. Finally i took the wise decision to whatsapp my FSIL, she is so helpful to let me know what to prepare what to take note of. (Actually the purpose is to let her know her bro a.k.a my FH is not helping at all)

Numerous times we argued and quarrelled because of wedding stuff, he keeps saying its up to you. If the argument went into extreme situation, he will said that's the wedding you want not what i want. I felt so hurt and sad. After awhile, he goes back into normal situation where he will only fetch me to the vendors.

Now only i think lots of the husband will not care much because at the end of the day they will just ensure themselve is in the right size of coat and attend the ceremony. lol..

Oh well, let's just enjoy the preparations. I have 2 more weeks to go and hope everything will be fine.

Cheers, --> for me and all the future brides.

For all of you that reply to this post, I want to say thanks for sharing all these feelings and yes, i am not alone as well. Same as Ranul, I cried out loud once at working place because no one was there to help. Finally i took the wise decision to whatsapp my FSIL, she is so helpful to let me know what to prepare what to take note of. (Actually the purpose is to let her know her bro a.k.a my FH is not helping at all)

Numerous times we argued and quarrelled because of wedding stuff, he keeps saying its up to you. If the argument went into extreme situation, he will said that's the wedding you want not what i want. I felt so hurt and sad. After awhile, he goes back into normal situation where he will only fetch me to the vendors.

Now only i think lots of the husband will not care much because at the end of the day they will just ensure themselve is in the right size of coat and attend the ceremony. lol..

Oh well, let's just enjoy the preparations. I have 2 more weeks to go and hope everything will be fine.

Cheers, --> for me and all the future brides.

Have good time planning babe...you can always talk to us here.... just ensure you are the most beautiful and glowing bride on your big day ;-)