booklover

Bridal/Evening Gown - Rent, Buy or Custom-make?

Bridal/Evening Gown - Rent, Buy or Custom-make?  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dear brides to be

Do you think it is better to rent the wedding gown and evening gown from bridal studio, buy ready-make or custom-make from designer?

custom make from designer will be the best. I personally made my own wedding gown, dinner dress and cheong sam. It's only cost me around RM 3,500. After my wedding, I will alter it and can wear it in the future.

Besides that, you can have your own dream gown to wear it on the AD. Rent it from bridal shop will charge you a boom, at the end of the day, you only can wear it for once and it's also a worn gown (bear in mind, new gown will charge up to RM 1000).

Sdkgirl, which designer did you get to make your gowns? It is RM3,500 for three gowns or per gown?

his shop is in sg.wang. We came to know about this shop when we were walking around in sg.wang. The price I paid was last year's price which I made the order last year's Sept.

I'm paying 3 pieces for RM3,500 hehehe.....

Hmm.. For my personal view, i think when you sign up a bridal studio, they'll already give you 1 wedding gowns and 2 evening gown. Normally it's included in the wedding package. Indirectly, it could save a little money. :angry:

I agree with you. But the gown you select, it depends on your package. If you want a new and wore once or twice gown, sure they will charge you extra 'because it is consider new', this is always the reason they give when you ask. I went around to 5-6 BS, ALL of them gave me the same reason.

For example, one BS in SS2, if you want to custom make your gown (end of the day which is not belongs to you), their package is RM5000 over. You only renting it from them in another way.

If you have the budget, go for custom make gown. If your budget is tight, then get from the BS. It works both the way.

Hmm.. That's true also. I guess have to weigh all factors in together and do all the math calculation to see which one is more worth it. :angry:

I think for those who are going to have 2 wedding receptions like me, it might offer better value for money to buy or custom-make your gowns.

For example, one BS in SS2, if you want to custom make your gown (end of the day which is not belongs to you), their package is RM5000 over. You only renting it from them in another way.

i think this is depending on how you bargain... the last time i survey for BS, some BS can really offer to MTM for free and some charged will RM500 as the rental of the MTM gown on top of the prewedding package price which is around RM 3k+. in a way it'll save a lot of $$ and you get to wear your dream gowns too.. :)

yah, I agree with you mhyap1. But it depends on your request lor. I was shocked when they told me the VVIP package is 5k above. Only can custom make the gown and the rest is to choose from the collection. Well, end of the day, it also depends on your budget. Our PS, RM1,300, custom make, RM3500, and they belong to you forever.

im having a hard time deciding between MTM gowns or rent it from BS ie wedding package. If rent,save the money and space. If MTM it would be my dream gowns. :(

mummyally,

If you don't mind, you can go to this BS which can MTM your gown+PS which you need to pay 5k above. At the end of the day, you can have your dream gown and save space because in another way you are renting the MTM gown from them. Do you have the budget?

Thank you for all the sugestions. Since I intend to hire a professional photographer for pre wedding and actual day so I do not think I need to go to bridal studio for package again right? There will be overlap. The wedding/evening gown, I guess my only option is to rent from the bridal studio or make or buy from those designer. So many choices, don't know what to do lah.

I ended up MTM a kebaya instead of WG/EG - since my dad's side is nyonya and I'd like to explore my traditional roots other than a cheongsam.

It really depends on what you're after. Personally, after I think about it and consulting my HB as well, I come to feel and agree with him - that rental is a bit not "tai" as the money is just for a dress I'll wear for a few hours! That same amount can be used to buy a custom-made WG (off the net - cheapest I found with free shipping was less than RM200) or buy kain + tailor's workmanship (if you got lobang here and there la)! What more, I can wear the dress/MTM clothes again and again. :)

(FYI, Kamdar recommended a tailor who does kebaya/EGs and etc for less than RM100. Golden rule for all tailors: don't tell them that it's for your wedding!)

I bought one Kua and one wedding gown that cost me around RM1k, what do you think of this price? Ok?

And the wedding gown is tailor-made to my figure .. hehe .. but still a bit long and I'm going to alter it to fit my height.

By the way, any idea where I can get a red high-heel shoes in KL? I'm from Sarawak and I will have my mega sale shopping soon in KL for few days :D

i bought mine , very very happy about it :)

BG: You can get red heels almost anywhere these days. Try Midvalley or 1-Utama for variety. :) I got my red strappy heels from Vincci.

BG: You can get red heels almost anywhere these days. Try Midvalley or 1-Utama for variety. :) I got my red strappy heels from Vincci.

Ahh .. good good .. I will put a stay at cititel so midvalley will be a good place for me. FB wants to go to Ikea .. alamak .. headache, I don't know how to arrange the programme la .. :(

I'm so short, I need at least 7cm heel .. hhahahhaha

I bought one Kua and one wedding gown that cost me around RM1k, what do you think of this price? Ok?

And the wedding gown is tailor-made to my figure .. hehe .. but still a bit long and I'm going to alter it to fit my height.

By the way, any idea where I can get a red high-heel shoes in KL? I'm from Sarawak and I will have my mega sale shopping soon in KL for few days :ph34r:

where did u MTM ur gowns? in sarawak?

mei, which kamdar you went? I want to get few more kebaya for myself as I love to wear it because kebaya cutting is nice. Or if you don't mind, can share with us the tailor contact? Thanx for sharing yah :)

I will post up my wedding gown in another 1-2 weeks time. Will let you girls see my WG, EG and the cheong sam yah :)

I went to SS2 Kamdar and still waiting for my mum to get back before going to see the tailor. I'll put up the contact once I get it from me mum, k? :)

well as for me BS always markup everything for the sake of giving you the convenience all under one roof. Note, BS gowns are usually made using cheaper material, and when it comes to gowns - but of course if you were to pay a higher price you may get a tailor made... still cheap material like china lace instead of italian / french lace. we're talking about details here.. the hand work, the design, how each lace or pattern is designed to fit the bride... each has to be specific -from my understanding, most BS offers simple design with a little few add-ons. so what? it'll cost you over 3k+. but for a simple designed gown. you may want to think otherwise - Of course & unless you got a REAL good bargain laaa.. nothing can beat that hehe. My wife customed hers using the best of materials e.g. thai silk, french lace, swarovski crystals, customed designs etc... the list goes on. and all of it beats any of those from BS. Of course, it may cost a little more... pending from RM500 - 1k... but hey, its your wedding and only once a lifetime - its worth the little extra :)

Thanx mei. Hope to hear from you soon :)

Oh yah, one more question. Is the cost of RM100 inclusive material and labour?

Cheers,

sdkgirl