Hi all, this is my first post after lurking in here for so long, but I have been very angry with KTS Garden Kuching. So for anyone who is planning a wedding in Kuching, please do take note of the following.

What happened was that we had indicated interest to KTS Garden since December, and each correspondence to them took them one week to either reply with an email or phonecall. On our end, we have to admit that we didn't rush them too much as well, as the discussion indicated that we would pretty much be able to get the venue.

On Monday, 7 January, we received the email from their coordinator indicating that she would be happy to meet us to discuss the finer details of our package (garden ROM and the dinner banquet). On Tuesday 8 January, we received an abrupt email saying that the date that we want has been booked by someone else and they would be happy to give us a "special package" if we change our date.

No phonecall at all to tell us that "hey, someone else is interested, please put down a deposit." Just those 5-6 lines in the email.

So my fiance gave the coordinator a call, only to find out that another couple had approached the Datin (basically the lady boss) directly, who then bypassed the coordinator (her daughter) to place the booking and deposit. Granted that we had not paid a deposit, but the least that they could have done would have been to give us a courtesy phonecall. Nada. ZILCH. Plus they had not even once asked us to secure the blocking of the date with a deposit.

Naturally I shot them an angry email recounting our disappointment that we did not even have the chance to talk through the package, was rudely shoved away, and asked to change the wedding date. There is no reason why we should change our plans because of their internal inefficiency and zero professionalism. We had personal connections too but chose not to do that because we respected the new establishment for their official channels.

The coordinator then followed up to try to persuade us to take up their venue for morning ROM and wedding lunch, promising to give us things such as tentage and "time until 2-3pm". Which again, to me, is utter crap. To expect us to do our ROM under the noon sun - the tentage would only be the basic of the basics that should be provided. And half of our guests are flying into Kuching for the wedding - we are not going to subject them to a hurried wedding luncheon. That would be their only impression of Kuching.

I know it is not the coordinator's fault but in any case, this is caused by their own internal inefficiency that does not seem to be subsiding anytime soon.

Right now, we are left with no wedding banquet venue (we are not changing the date because the family took a lot of pains to get the date for us) and are scrambling. Granted, we should have blocked the date at other places but we did not because we were about to confirm everything with KTS Garden.

In short, this incident has shown me (and I have conveyed the exact same thing in my email to them) that for future dealings with KTS Garden, the official channel is not the way to go. You can go through proper channels but if someone else with connections is given the go ahead to bypass you, they will do so, and will expect you to compromise.

And yes, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestion for a dinner banquet venue in Kuching. Right now we are only left with Grand Margherita and Damai Puri Resort. The former I am not keen on because for the very superficial reason that it does not look that good; the latter my future in-laws are not keen on cos it might be difficult for the elderly folk to reach there.

I am really not a bride-zilla (like, seriously, my wedding is 9 months away and my dress is still being sketched, I am not doing pre-wedding pictures and gawd I don't even want to do the whole dress-changing thing during the banquet) - but my fiance and I were looking forward to organising a relaxed, fun-filled weekend for our guests. For me, it is a rude sampler as to what Kuching life is going to be like, as I am moving there after growing up in Peninsular Malaysia and having lived in Singapore for 11 years. I shouldn't be generalising, but really, all it would have taken would be that ONE PHONECALL.

Hi all,

I would like to share on my experience with KTS Garden as well. I have read this post before I booked with them and as such, became quite cautious about them. Like Ms balderdash, I also went through the official channel initially, aka through emailing the coordinator. Our date was confirmed quite fast as we booked in advanced and pay the deposit immediately. When paying the deposit is when we met the ladyboss, which we call Datin. I guess she's quite the control freak, considering EVERYTHING in the restaurant needs to go through to her and only her. Even during the wedding day itself, it was very frustrating to talk to the staff there because they ask us to refer anything and everything to Datin! Anyway, after paying the deposit directly to Datin, we were happy and so set a date for a proper meeting and discussion.

During the meeting, it's very difficult trying to negotiate things with her. She's very adamant with her own ways. I can understand that, since this place belongs to her completely; but sometimes in business you just need to be flexible. Give and take, people say. During the discussion, there seem to be many hidden lingering charges which was not stated in the quotation and later just suddenly blurted out on that day and forcing you to pay. Things like using the spotlight (RM200), "corkage" charge for bringing in a halal caterer were all not disclosed earlier. Really frustrating! My decorator had experience with her before as well, and as expected it was nothing but headache.

Few weeks after the meeting, I've gotten a call from Datin which totally shocked me. She, seems like doesn't remember who I am at all when she made that call, greeted me Hi, I'm calling for KTS Garden, you have an enquiry about wedding banquet on so-and-so date right?. She did not remember me, and I doubt she jot down that we have booked and paid deposit for that date. What if someone else DID enquire about the same date and she made this call and double book?!

At that time is when I understand how Ms balderdash's situation came to happen!

Anyway, after that the correspondence was mainly between Datin and my FIL. And I'm glad, cos I would have flipped if I had to deal with her myself. My FIL was also very frustrated at her attitude. Despite it all, we still managed to pull through and our wedding dinner was a success. Granted that this place is seriously gorgeous and grand, with a fantastic garden and view of Sarawak river, with a high tech sound system and screens and great food, BUT the most important part to tie it all- the management, is bad. As I put it, it's like a typical pretty girl with beautiful exterior but terrible attitude inside. It's such a terrible pity, cos this place has such great potential!

For future brides in Kuching, I believe and have experienced that it's really a great wedding venue (and it's difficult to find great ones here), just that be cautious when you deal with the management. Perhaps someone with less expectation and the "cincai" kind wouldn't mind this kind of thing. Oh well, just be prepared!