Hi all I'm new here.

I'm going to have my reception in March 2014, currently deciding if I shouild buy a package from the bridal shop, or DIY.

Those who have gone through this, I really appreciate your advises, comments and feedbacks.

Which is more economical cuz bridal shop packages cost at least RM3k and above....

Thanks! :smile:

Hi, choppaeggyi,

I am a DIY BTB. Actually DIY doesn't safe you money but you will enjoy the preparation. I had gone through the worries and frustration to prepare those gowns, suites, accessories and props. But thanks God, when everything almost done, I feel so great and happy. I suppose I will not feel the same if I hire bridal shop.

If you go for DIY, everything is under your control. But of course, you need to do lots of homework and research. Time intensive! Once, there was a MUA told me : the preparation is for the couple, while the actual day is for your family and guests, so enjoy the process ! It's so true !

For your info, I had just done my prewedding shoot and AD will be 4 months from now. So far so good, So if you plan to DIY, you may start now.

Cheers !

Hi choppaeggyi,

I agree with Yoyo. DIY pre-wedding shoot doesn't mean you will save a lot. I suggest you create an excel sheet to list down what a Bridal shop offers, and the price you have to pay for each item if DIY. I have a very simple one if you need. With this you will be able to see clearly what you need and what you dont, then you can decide from there.

I ended up taking only a pre-wedding photography only package, and leave the actual day DIY (gowns, bridal car).

Good luck!

@Yoyo

Thanks alot for your advices!! I've actually started my research on dress rental & MUA... And my hubs said that is so "ma fan"... So that's why now I'm hesitating... *sigh*

Big congrats to you... Wish that you'll have a blissful marriage! :smile:

@eclaires

Thanks!! If you don't mind to share your template with me - purplebutterfly1921@gmail.com

Dear Choppaeggy,

Congratulation to you!

You have exactly same thought as mine, at least we love DIY.

I just done researching on pros and cons if i would DIY my flower bouquet or cake is a bad / good idea or not..

although i saw your post is about DIY photos, i thought this few articles here are a good read, just to share with you ok..

DIY wedding cake - http://www.thekitchn.com/diy-wedding-cake-53894

Should you or not DIY your wedding flowers - http://www.littlesweetoccasions.com/2013/06/should-you-or-not-diy-flower.html

How to do your own wedding flowers - http://apracticalwedding.com/2009/10/our-diy-well-dit-wedding-flowers/

Should you make a DIY wedding cake - http://weddings.about.com/od/weddingcakes/a/Should-You-Make-A-Diy-Wedding-Cake.htm

Some of my friend advise me not to DIY, it's too stress.

Guess wedding is just too many things.. and seems like all the things shouting for attention to details... my head will soon explode already.. Haha..

@abbykoh

Thought so too... Plus, DIY appeared to be more special... As I'm quite large framed, I can't go with certain cutting of gowns, and especially the common tube bell gown is a big NO-NO for me... So I need to search for the perfect dress for me!

@eclaires

Got it!! TQVM! :happy:

Hi Choppaeggyi

I am also a DIY bride, the main reason why I didn't quite go with a Bridal house is, I dislike dealing with Bridal House's sales people.. when you didn't go for the more expensive package, you can sense the big change in attitude..

Anyway, DIY can be very stressful, unless you know exactly what you want, or else, you will be going around in circles..

Yes, you are right, bridal house's gown, mainly tube type of dresses..

Secure your photographer & make up artist for actual day first, the good ones are like hot cakes!!

Happy planning!!

:-)

Hi all! I am also a DIY bride! Or rathe ala-carte. I want to be in control of my wedding. When u sign up with bridal shop, they are in a way in control of your wedding. I have found my MUA, VG, PG, gown. Now looking for dinner gown and a few more wedding gown fr pew-wed photography... :)

I also planning for DIY or sign wedding package. Actually I had one for oversea wedding package and we signed the cheapest package but they do not cover local as we wanted to have local included so I still planning should opt for DIY or sign bridal package..

Hi all,

Signing up with bridal package doesn't mean that you can't DIY. I have actually signed up a DIY package with bridal shop and it's only approximately RM2,600. Just think through what are the things you would like to have and do some research on the standard price - then you list down the items you want to the bridal shop and see how much they can offer you.

This will enable you to have a comparison between signing up with bridal package vs sourcing everything by yourself. Main thing is make sure you have done enough research.

P/S: I am letting go my DIY bridal package, if there is anyone interested, pls feel free to contact me via e-mail elims888@hotmail.com or sms me 016-6033043. Price is negotiable.

I did a semi DIY kinda stuff with Armadale where props/flowers/menswear/shoes were not provided. Freedom to pick the venue as I wish.

Gowns/dresses/makeup/jewelry provided as I'm not too picky about those.