hi all,

i saw the baking schiool at terrenganu road dy....got this number 042836096

cant stop by coz i m just passing by n heading to some where else.

i called...finally some one pick up the phone. baking class 11 session : RM1500, 3 session per week, 7-10 pm.

Chef Eddie Choong Bake & Culinary Centre

http://www.chefeddiechoong.com/

Hey mei, fluene.. how was your cake decorating classes going? I went for the Wilton's Cupcake decorating class last Sat and found it pretty interesting... I'm thinking whether or not to take the Cake Decorating Courses now since it's quite pricey. The cupcake deco class I went was at Sri Hartamas's ICCA and I thought the class was a bit rushing. Joanne taught us techniques like how to hold the decorating bag, which tip for what patterns and we used fondant too. :D

Pico,

I don't think Jo will be able to cover the basics (which are a lot!!!) in that one class...hence why they have level-based classes for those interested in learning more (like making flowers and etc).

Apart from spending a lot, I also learnt a lot of new stuff so much so that I'm doing my own wedding cake! And so far, my parents have been asking me to make cakes as gifts for people's birthday. So I suppose that's a good sign. :)

I'm based at the Section 14 ICCA and Jo was my instructor for my current and previous levels. She's very nice and pretty experienced. I got a lot of help from her while making up my mind on my wedding cake design and construction.

Mei, i think you're really talented in cake decorating.. ^_^ Myself have just started decorating only cupcakes as I love to make muffins/cupcakes and I guess I need to pick up more decorating skills first before signing up for the courses. And I think I can pick up some decorating skills from Wilton's website as well.

www.wilton.com

I started without any knowledge even in baking! I had to get a mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups, etc.

It's a pretty steep learning curve for me because I cook and don't bake. It's just not the same thing...

I've been baking cupcakes as I think they're cute and nice and easier! My stand mixer gonna arrive soon; redeemed it with credit card points.. :D

using the hand mixer is very tiring... :P

Hey mei, fluene.. how was your cake decorating classes going? I went for the Wilton's Cupcake decorating class last Sat and found it pretty interesting... I'm thinking whether or not to take the Cake Decorating Courses now since it's quite pricey. The cupcake deco class I went was at Sri Hartamas's ICCA and I thought the class was a bit rushing. Joanne taught us techniques like how to hold the decorating bag, which tip for what patterns and we used fondant too. :D

Hey pico! I am sorry to say I did not attend the cake decorating class because I went to China for holiday instead. your post reminds me that I should look at those classes again. Good to hear that you enjoyed your class.

Hey pico! I am sorry to say I did not attend the cake decorating class because I went to China for holiday instead. your post reminds me that I should look at those classes again. Good to hear that you enjoyed your class.

wow..i wouldn't give up holiday for class too.. :P i think they have the cupcake deco class in Feb too.. cheers.

I inherited a retro Kitchenaid stand mixer from my co-worker for free! I'm unveiling this moment of history to everyone!

It's so amazing cuz now I don't need to stand by my hand mixer to whip my icing for class anymore :lol:

Here's the post to the historic event.

mixer.jpg

CL,

wahh .. you are lucky ah! If I'm not mistaken, this type of mixer costs over a thousand in Ringgit M'sia. You are really really lucky!! :)

I inherited a retro Kitchenaid stand mixer from my co-worker for free! I'm unveiling this moment of history to everyone!

It's so amazing cuz now I don't need to stand by my hand mixer to whip my icing for class anymore :lol:

Here's the post to the historic event.

mixer.jpg

Been to the cupcakes decoration class yesterday. It was supposed to be a 2 hours class but extended to 3 hours. It was fun. Only thing is they did not show how to prepare the buttercream and fondant. All were given to us prepared. I think I will go for the 2nd workshop soon. We get to keep the decorating utensils and cert will be given also.

Here's the picture. Not so clear though

IMAGE_00054.jpg

fluene,

the middle one is sun flower ah? nice ah ..

I like the lady bird with flower, ahhh .. is that lady bird? hehe

you can search the recipe for fondant and butter cream. :) butter cream is kinda easy, I ever try the recipe from internet. I also got the recipe (frm internet too :)) for fondant (or sugar paste) but haven't try.

fluene,

Nice work woh... they are so cute!

Anyway, here's my buttercream recipe. You should probably use less liquid because this recipe makes a very soft consistency. Remember to sift the powdered / icing / confectioners sugar.

1 pound Sweetex (shortening)

1 pound margarine

1/2 tsp vanilla flavour

1/2 tsp butter flavour

1 cup evaporated milk (or less, add one tbsp at a time)

2 pounds powdered sugar (sifted, add 1 cup at a time)

Cream shortening and margarine until well combined. Add flavourings and cream again.

Add sifted powdered sugar to the mixture gradually until complete.

Adjust consistency of the frosting by adding milk or water gradually.

*You can substitute vanilla flavour with others if you wish, but I like to keep the butter flavour in this recipe. After all, it is called BUTTERcream frosting :P

hi... baking MB I am really impressed with everyone here...

I wan to start baking too... I am waiting to start a class with www.bakewithyen.com, it will cost about RM180 per class of 3-5 hours. May I know if it is worth it? Or should I go for those with certification?

I am a real beginner and the last time i baked was when I was 12. Please advise.

Sophia, I think as long as you want to learn, it doesn't matter who you sign up with. The folks with bakewithyen are quite popular - I've heard people in my Wilton class talking about them. So don't worry.

Christine, I just saw the same KitchenAid mixer at a 2nd hand store here going at nearly 350 francs (half of the retail price)! So sam si si now. :P

Hi all, it's cool to know that I can also gather some informations on baking classes here! Wow.. :D

I have interest in baking since young but I have not attended any classes as I was too involved with school activities and tuition classes, then work. Weekend is the only time to rest.

I used to bake only based on TV programmes and recipe books, ofcourse, some taste ok and some, if I should say..yukkss..haha.

So any baking classes in Penang? I am more interested on the cuppies and cake deco using sugar art. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Me B)

Anyone join Wilton or Bake With Yen baking class recently? I plan to join the class but not sure which one is good :wacko3:

Hey ladies. AMC gives free cooking class every Sunday with their product. Ideal for ladies who likes, no mess cooking, easy, fast and healthy cooking. You can actually cook without oil. If you interested, come and check it out. It's totally free and no obligation to buy anything.

Just sms me if you are interested. 0123284510

Every Sunday 3 pm.

Venue :

AMC Allied Metalcraft Corporation Sdn. Bhd

No.22, Jalan Pendaftar U1/54,

Temasya Industrial Park,

Shah Alam