Sign in to follow this  
aaronpawlak

wedding photos and hi-res digital images

HI,

In the finally-spending-what-I've earned department, I'm picking out a wedding photographer. The dilemma is, the photographer my fiancee has finally clicked with only provides 1800 x 1200 pixel digital images (along with the hard-copy elements of the package). He is very reluctant to offer any higher resolution, and says he has never done this. Checking with married friends, many have gotten full resolution digital copies as part of their package, so it seems possible. I don't want to be held hostage if 10 years later I decide I want a higher resolution photo, poster, etc. But mainly, I just want copies of photos from my own wedding! I could offer to pay more, but we are already talking about a $4500 package. I'd love to just move on to other photographers who are more flexible. Heck, I'd be happy to hire students at a local photography school. But then I'm in big, big spousal trouble if we end up with bad pictures.Should I just settle for 1800 x 1200, which seems like it may just be good enough for up to 8x10 prints? Or is there a better strategy here? Boglehead advice would be helpful here...

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102415
Promotional video production agency

Thanks!

Here are some strategies and considerations to help you make an informed decision:

1. Communicate Your Concerns:
Start by having an open and honest conversation with the photographer. Express your concerns about the resolution of the digital images and your desire to have higher resolution copies for potential future use. It's possible that the photographer might be willing to negotiate or provide a higher resolution option for an additional fee.

2. Check the Contract:
Review the contract you have with the photographer carefully. Ensure it specifies the resolution and usage rights of the digital images. If the contract does not clearly state the resolution limitations, discuss this with the photographer and consider requesting an amendment to the contract that includes provisions for higher resolution copies.

3. Request RAW Files (If Possible):
Some photographers may provide RAW files in addition to the processed images. RAW files contain the highest possible resolution and allow for more extensive editing. If your photographer is willing to provide RAW files, consider this option.

4. Discuss Archiving Options:
Inquire about the photographer's archiving policy. Ask if they will retain your wedding photos for an extended period, so you have the option to request higher resolution copies in the future if needed.

5. Compare Photographer Options:
Consider exploring other photographers in your area who may offer more flexible terms regarding image resolution. Research their portfolios, read reviews, and communicate your specific requirements before making a decision.

6. Quality vs. Quantity:
Keep in mind that image quality is often more critical than image size. While 1800 x 1200 pixels may be suitable for small prints and digital sharing, it may not be sufficient for larger prints or extensive editing. Assess how important high-resolution images are to you and your future needs.