mummyally

List of things to bring/pack prior to delivery

You may want to pack two bags for the hospital

- a small overnight bag for the items you'll need during labor

- a larger bag for everything else that you'll need later.

Here's a list of things that experienced moms recommend packing.

For labor

Your birth plan

Your insurance card and any hospital paperwork you need.

Your eyeglasses, if you need any. Even if you usually wear contacts, you'll probably need or want to take them out at some point during your stay.

A hair band and barrettes, if you think you might want them.

Lip moisturizer.

A bathrobe, nightgown, slippers, and a couple of pairs of socks. Hospitals provide gowns for you to use during labor and afterward, but most will allow you to wear your own clothes if you prefer. Choose something loose and comfortable that you don't mind getting ruined. You'll need to wear a gown instead of pants so that your practitioner can check your cervix. Choose a top with short, loose sleeves so you your blood pressure can be checked easily and so you can slip your top off easily if you want to change and have an IV in place. You might also want to bring your own slippers and robe for walking around during the early stages of labor. If you don't want to risk soiling your robe, you can ask for a second hospital gown to wear as a robe to cover your backside.

Something to read, if you're so inclined.

Massage oils or lotions, music, an extra pillow, whatever you need to help you relax. (If you do bring your own pillow, be sure to use a patterned or colorful pillowcase so it doesn't get mixed up with the hospital's.) You might consider bringing tennis balls or a rolling pin in case you have back labor and need them for massage.

Talismans, a picture of someone or something you love, anything you find reassuring.

Some snacks and something to read during the early stages.

A camera/video camera and film or tape or a memory card and batteries. Someone has to document the big event! (NOTE: Not all hospitals allow videotaping of the birth itself, but there's usually no rule against taping during labor or after the birth.)

Postpartum

A fresh nightgown.

Snacks! After many hours of labor, you're likely to be pretty hungry and you don't want to have to rely on the hospital's food. So bring your own crackers, raisins, and granola bars.

A nursing bra, breast pads, and maternity underwear, if you'd prefer not to wear the net panties they'll give you at the hospital. Chances are, whatever underwear you do wear the first few days will get stained, even with sanitary pads (which the hospital provides).

Breast pumps

Toiletries. Toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, lip balm, deodorant, and makeup, if it's important to you. Hospitals will have soap, shampoo, and lotion, but you might prefer your own brands.

Your address book and prepaid phone card or cell phone. After the baby's born you'll want to call family and friends to let them know the good news. Note: Some hospitals don't allow cell phones to be used in the labor and delivery area, so you may want to ask about it ahead of time.

A going-home outfit. Bring something roomy and easy to get into — believe it or not, you'll probably still look 5 or 6 months pregnant — along with a pair of flat shoes. The last thing you'll be worrying about when you go home is whether your outfit is fashionable.

For your baby

An infant car seat. You can't drive your baby home without one!

A going-home outfit (one-piece stretchy outfits are easiest) and a snowsuit if it's very cold

A receiving blanket (a heavy one if the weather's cold)

A pair of socks or booties

A cap (although they'll usually give you one at the hospital)

Baby nail clippers or emery board

What not to bring

Jewelry

Lots of cash, credit cards, or any other valuables

Work. Yes, we actually know fast-track types who have sent business e-mails from the hospital room, made work-related phone calls, and reviewed spreadsheets.

Source:Babycenter

you are most welcome :)

But one word of advice start packing as early as possible. I didnt start packing until much later on thinking I have plenty of time. Big mistake! When I was 8 months pregnant while having dinner with ILs I fell sick. Suddenly I was retching so badly that I had to sent to the hospital. When I was there the midwife checked me out and put me on the fetal heartbeat monitor device *forgotten what's the acro for it* and she said i was having regular contractions and I might go into labour. Husband panicked and my first question to the midwife - Can I go back and pack and bath then come back to the hospital ar? - Well the answer was no obviously but instead of thinking of the impending delivery I was worrying about what I have no bought or packed. And I was fidgeting the whole night. Well luckily it was a false labor alarm but after I got discharged the next day immediately I went to get all the stuffs needed. :)

mummyally, thx for the list..

I've started packing since last week, but all are my stuff. Totally forgotten about baby's stuff :dash2: My hubby say baby goin to come home without clothes?? hahaha.....

Thanks mummyally!

Just did a few pieces of baby clothes washing.... to be pack as well.

You can if you want to but if you get into an accident along the way, your baby will be the first casualty. Is it worth the risk?

.... new born baby will be too little to be put onto baby car seat. Besides, their neck is still too fragile. Unless, you are buying a 2 in 1 (baby basket cum baby car seat).

I only bought a baby car seat when my girl was 2.5 months old when her neck was strong enough.

Actually some car seats can be used from newborn onwards. You just need to get something like that. This way, you wont have to buy an infant carrier separately :)

This is from my personal experience, last 2 week when my wife deliver a healthy baby girl.

We went to Island Hospital Penang.

To bring.

(we pack bout 1 month early..)

- mummy cloth (sarong its good)

- disposal panties

- ladies sanitaties pack

- tooth brush, paste, and others bath stuff

- clean towel (one big and one media size)

- pen & paper (to write and take note)

The rest were provided by Island Hospital. Very nice indeed, and very good service. They provide enough food, snack and drinks for mummy.

And for baby, only during check out time.

- one complete set of baby cloth. Thats all.

Well, but I think its depend on which hospital and their facilities/ services.

Shall we bring bb milk powder, disposable diapers and milk bottle to hospital?

If you deliver in gov hospital, the nurse will force you to breast-feed. If private one, depends on you lor. If you can take care of the baby yourself, then bring lor. Otherwise dun waste time. Like my wife, c-sec liao cant really look after. They charged RM100 for daycare and another RM100 for night, so its on them.

s_y,

No need bring those cos it's provided.

Andre,

Not force la. They encourage you to BF. Using the word force is too strong!

TQ for the info

wear a sanitary pad, can pad the seat with towels if u hv time to grab em.

Hi gals,

Just want to know what you all use to 'alas' the car seat if water bag burst and on the way to hospital.

Thanks

water_sakana,

You can also try ti get those disposable mats where they use in the hospital to put as the bottom layer as the blue backing is waterproof then lay a towel or 2 above it.

I think using a sanitary pad is better and also the liquid also not tooo much. and i think the time it bursts also no time to wear sanitary pad already in the car :p

:sad: Hi Diana,

Do you have any idea where can I get this type of disposable mat, I try to get it from watson and guardian but there said don't have such thing :sad:

ESSENTIALS FOR HOSPITAL stay

Items

Slippers

Sleeping socks

Pyjamas Make sure it is a two piece with button down shirt for easy nursing

Nursing bras

Nursing cover Good to have when you need to breastfeed when you have visitors around

Breast pads

Sanitary pads No need maternity pads, just thickest and longest sanitary pads is fine

Disposable panties

Home-going outfit

Hospital provided 1 box of maternity pads and the alcohol cleaner to clean the affected area.

TOILETRIES OTHERS

Items Items

Toothpaste Your NRIC & Spouse's IC

Toothbrush Admission Letter

Facial Wash Dr Prenatal File

Hair Brush

Hair Band Baby's chinese names

Face Moisturiser Mobile Phone charger

Camera / Videocamera

Baby

Items Quantity

Home-going outfit Button down vest

Baby blanket with hood soft type

Mittens 2 sets

Bootties 2 sets

Car seat or moses basket Not a MUST (Msia doesn't have a law but if you drive, get one)

Diapers (Pampers Newborn) Provided by hospital

Wet wipes Provided by hospital

Cord Spirit to clean the belly button Provided by hospital

As I had delivered, I can suggest no need to bring most like:

Slippers, Pijamas, sanitary pad, disposable panties, tooth paste, tooth brush, shampoo, soap, disposable diaper for baby.

all will be provided, except the baby clothed during discharge.

ESSENTIALS FOR HOSPITAL stay

Items

Slippers

Sleeping socks

Pyjamas Make sure it is a two piece with button down shirt for easy nursing

Nursing bras

Nursing cover Good to have when you need to breastfeed when you have visitors around

Breast pads

Sanitary pads No need maternity pads, just thickest and longest sanitary pads is fine

Disposable panties

Home-going outfit

Hospital provided 1 box of maternity pads and the alcohol cleaner to clean the affected area.

TOILETRIES OTHERS

Items Items

Toothpaste Your NRIC & Spouse's IC

Toothbrush Admission Letter

Facial Wash Dr Prenatal File

Hair Brush

Hair Band Baby's chinese names

Face Moisturiser Mobile Phone charger

Camera / Videocamera

Baby

Items Quantity

Home-going outfit Button down vest

Baby blanket with hood soft type

Mittens 2 sets

Bootties 2 sets

Car seat or moses basket Not a MUST (Msia doesn't have a law but if you drive, get one)

Diapers (Pampers Newborn) Provided by hospital

Wet wipes Provided by hospital

Cord Spirit to clean the belly button Provided by hospital

my suggestion bring the most important thing like women pads, kemeja berbutang (easy to breastfeeding), and etc..

my suggestion bring the most important thing like women pads, kemeja berbutang (easy to breastfeeding), and etc..

Just to add on to the list:

For Chinese, we have some believes.

1) Red dates water - Please inform someone to boil the red dates water for you. Else, you will end up drinking plain water from hospital.

2) Socks - protect your feet, some hospitals may be a bit cold

For the husbands,

1) camera or video cam. - I found this most precious to bring, to capture the special moment of your love one and wife.

Hope the above helps.