Sign in to follow this  
arieloh

Thalassemia

Dear Gals,

Did u check for Thalassemia before u get marry??

Please do so ya!!

didn't leh ... approach FH on such checks before (genetics,Thalassemia etc) ...he said after marriage if got problem then don't have children lor

erm, whats thalasemia?

Thalassemia Trait

Thalassemia is a genetic disease. This means that a person can only get Thalassemia disease or trait by inheriting the genes for Thalassemia from their parents. Genes determine what we look like, such as hair color, and are also responsible for many diseases. Inheritance of Thalassemia happens purely by chance–there is nothing that parents do, or do not do, that will cause their child to inherit Thalassemia. Thalassemia is never 'caught' by another person in the way that a cold or flu is transmitted. People with Thalassemia disease and trait are born with it.

Over two million people in the United States carry the genetic trait for Thalassemia. Thalassemia trait is not and never will become Thalassemia disease. There are two main types of Thalassemia trait: Alpha Thalassemia trait and Beta Thalassemia trait. Most types of Thalassemia trait cause the red blood cells to be smaller in size than usual, but there is no scientific evidence that Thalassemia trait causes health problems. Individuals with Thalassemia trait have some level of protection from Malaria. Therefore, although Thalassemia trait is found in all populations, it is most common in people from regions where Malaria occurs.

Is There Testing Available for Thalassemia Trait and Disease?

Yes, testing for Thalassemia trait involves having a single blood sample drawn. The following screening tests identify most types of Thalassemia:

• Hemoglobin electrophoresis with quantitative hemoglobin A2 and hemoglobin F.

• Complete Blood Count (CBC).

• Iron studies (free erythrocyte protoporphyrin, lead, ferritin, and/or other iron studies).

You can make an appointment with your Health Care Provider to be tested for Thalassemia Trait.

If you learn that you have Thalassemia trait, you may have questions about the implications for you, your future children, and other family members. Your Health Care Provider will be able to answer these questions for you.

California Newborn Screening detects approximately 1,000 cases of Thalassemia trait each year. When planning a family, it is important to know if you and/or your partner carry the trait for Thalassemia.

hey viv/chooz ...last nite no chat wit u guys ... only jaylow & nat

Ash... super detail....

last night went out kai kai with hubby. come home tired liao, slept early.

It is better that couples check themselves before marriage... It is good to prepare each other for anything... My fren went and did a check up with her hubby when they were getting married... but i am not sure whether that Thalassemia was checked or not...

I had a school mate who struggled against thalassemia but lost the fight. We can see day by day that she got thinner and thinner and finally passed away when she was in Form 5.

according to a friend who went for a full body check up.

the result of the full body check up can tell u about that.

the doctor told her that she the sign of Thalassemia.

Can i know what type of test required to check Thalassemia?

gals,

tell your doctor that, you would like to check for Thalassemia while u do your body check up. Sometimes, the doctor also did do for u.

my Fren did check up before she marry. but the doctor didn't do thalassemia test on her. She is a carrier, so she must marry someone who is 100% normal.

It really worry her because the FH's report was "a boardering case, 50% yes, 50% no"- it is from p**tl*b. So the FH went to Gribless again to do the test. Luckily, it is confirm, he is not a thalassemia.

It is really sad period for her. After knowing tat the FH is 50-50 thalessimia. They have been together for 5 years, and they love children very very much. It is a great relief now!!!

Please check ya!!

PM,

any clinic will do. they can do it for u. they will send to lab, and will let u know the result.

vb gals21,

u r rite. baby with thalassemia, can't live long. and it is very paintful for the baby to go thro all the medication and treatment.

from my secondary school, 1 boy died at age 21, another boy also, died at age 19.

Dear all gals, women, also man....

Please dont forget to bring ur patner for a lood test beofre marry!!! it good if you know it there any genetic problem or not!!!

To make thgs short on what is Thalassemia. Thalassemia is actually a group of inherited diseases of the blood that affect a person's ability to produce hemoglobin, resulting in anemia. A child who inherits two thalassemia trait genes - one from each parent - will have the disease. A child of two carriers has a 25 percent chance of receiving two trait genes and developing the disease, and a 50 percent chance of being a thalassemia trait carrier.

Symptoms for Severe Talassemia: Child become pale and listless and have poor appetites. They grow slowly and often develop jaundice. Without treatment, the spleen, liver and heart soon become greatly enlarged. Bones become thin and brittle. Heart failure and infection are the leading causes of death among children with untreated thalassemia major. Therefore requires frequent blood transfusion.

There are mild or severe cases of thalassemia. My sister has the alpha type. Besides getting tired easier than others, so far she has no other problems. Btw, she is 38 now

Hi everyone,

Yaya...have to check whether you/ ur hubby are a carrier...like my case i do not know that i'm a carrier until we both went to do our premarriage check up....luckily hubby is not so we can have children, if not according to the doctor, we can't have children....

People who has enough blood doesn't need to check for Thalassemia. If you can donate blood, meaning u r enough blood & it's not necessary to check Thalassemia. Only people who is lack of blood is advice to check. I did check at BP Lab, if not mistaken RM100.

People who has enough blood doesn't need to check for Thalassemia. If you can donate blood, meaning u r enough blood & it's not necessary to check Thalassemia. Only people who is lack of blood is advice to check. I did check at BP Lab, if not mistaken RM100.

Can't judge it like that... I suggest those couples who plan to get married better go for a blood check up. The Thalassemia also divided into Alfa and Beta group. For the carrier, like my case, we are just like normal ppl, just that we are carrying the gen, this doesn't mean that I lack of blood or i am not healthy. Just that my partner need to do the check up as well to confirm that he is not carrying the gen. Else, we can't have baby. For those who inherited this, they are still divided into few groups, some are very very serious which need to change blood so often (we can see this kind of case from newspaper article), some will easily pengsan when they are sick but no need to change blood. If you think that you are a responsbile parent-to-be, pls check this before you plan to have baby. Don't be lazy and selfish, just think about urself and don't think abt ur next generation. I think this is really bad!!! Sorry if I offended somebody here. Whenever I read the newspaper, I really feel so angry with those selfish parents. Dun wait until the baby really got problem, then only sit there and cry and blame urself. If you dunno this knowledge, then no one will blame you, but I believe that the TV media and newspaper do have lot of Ads telling ppl abt this knowledge. And pls don't say that if really got inherited then just dun have baby lohh... :angry: what if accidently have baby??? I hope ppl out there can take it serious as our life is very precious!!! And this is a inheritation sickness, it will never end!!! If you are not so sure abt this, pls consult a doctor and don't simply take other cases for example. Just feel so heartache when seeing new born baby suffering from this kind of sickness.

citrine,

i totally agree with what you said. i am a carrier & in the category of "easily pengsan" group. in fact i always pengsan during pregnant bcos of low iron level & after my doc pescribed iron pills to me, i felt much better. i know i am a carrier well before i plan for a baby bcos me & hubby tested before we ROM.

Dear all,

If you planned to have babies, better go for the thalasemia test. I did a general blood test last year, the report actually indicate that the my red blood cells show mild microcytosis, mild hypochromia and several pencil cells also been found in the blood sample. The doctor only told me that it's an early detection of iron deficiency.......other than that, everything is ok.

I take things for granted....assuming i am a healthy person. However, i still feel bad when my MCV & MCH is rather low. Until this year when i planned to get marry, i did a blood test again, just last two weeks actually and the results also stated the same, (this time i went to another clinic)...very low MCV & MCH, as such, the Dr. ask me to do the thalasemia test, and i did, the result was ........i am a carrier.... :( so sad when i hear the news....really heartbroken actually......but the fact still is a fact....have to accept lor....then i ask my FH to do the Blood test lor....he just did it yesterday...result will be out next week....very nervous and scare, hope that he's fine.....we really want to have babies.

Those people with thalasemia trait will easily tired and if you bump on anything, sure will turn blue black very fast....sometimes i pening pening and when period time, u can see a walking zombie cos my face is even whiter than a piece of paper......

no supplement for that also cos Dr. said it's inherited from parents...........my mum is a carrier too..

Even both parents are thalasemia trait they still can have babies. 25% probability to have thalasemia major babies. But nowadays there are fetal screening. Meaning before the baby born u can screen first.

Talking about Thalassaemia, my mom, me, my two brothers and a few cousins have it too.

Actually I don’t even know that I have Thalassemia from the beginning.

It all started when my mum went for check-up and doctor detected that she has Thalassemia. It runs in the family and according to doctor it will be in random so it’s best that whole family should go for a test because it’s also difficult to detect.

And I suspect I have it because doctor prescribe that I have mild anemia all the while.

So we whole family which includes all my aunts and uncles and their children (all from mother’s side) decided to go for test. Found that I and my brother, and a few cousins have it.

I even sent my son for test too, and it’s Negative.

As for my brother when my brother went for a blood test, the lab assistance told him about SPIRULINA which is good for people who has Thalassemia.

Spirulina helps as it supplies bio-chelated iron that is very easily assimilated into the body.

Besides that Spirulina contains phycocyanin which builds blood. Scientists also claims that phycocyanin regulates production of white blood cells.

So now all of us are taking it and I've been taking it for more than 10 years already.