shlee203

Europe Tour

Any recommended Tour Agency (KL/Selangor) for Europe Tour ?

I am now doing research for my year end 2008 Honeymoon.

The most concern issue is the customer service provided by the Tour Agent.

Please advise if you have any good sugestion.

Thank you very much in advance !!

Hi all!

I have already sign up with a tour agent for 2 weeks trip to Europe (Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France & UK) and the trip start early May 08. :rolleyes:

Really need advice on the weather there as not sure what clothes need to take there. Very difficult to decide. Been visiting winter clothing store eg. Winter Times but not much info except they recommended to buy jacket for 10degre celcius above cost around rm200+++ :blink: . Help!

Okies...here's the thing about Europe.

Same region but BUT because of the altitude and specific geographical changes, the weather can be very different.

I live in Switzerland near the French border (about 2K metres above sea level) and three weeks ago - even though it's officially spring - there was 15cm of snow...from Geneva upwards BUT in Lyon and most parts of France, it was sunny and warm. South of France is perpetually warm and nice by European standards. :)

My advice to anyone who is travelling around spring/autumn to Europe is this - you do not need a snow jacket unless you're going skiing. Just a regular thick fleece jacket or a trenchcoat will do...and lots of layers underneath. By layers here, imagine this - you have your bra, your turtleneck (you can get cotton ones from anywhere for a cheap price) and a t-shirt or cardigan as a top. Then you put on your fleece jacket. That's it. Please don't bring thermal underwear during spring and especially those thick puffy jackets that they sell for winter (waste of money). You'll be boiling...

If you come to Europe and you find that it's cold, well, lucky you. Right now, people don't sell winter jackets anymore so it either goes for cheap cheap or you don't need it. You can opt to buy one that's suited for cold weather here rather than buy a generic one from the tropics.

The weather at the moment is hovering between 16 to 22 C so it's pretty warm compared to 0 to 5 C just two months ago. If you can, bring a small umbrella with you - spring can get wet in some parts of Europe. If you are scared of cold winds and chills, bring a scarf and thin thin gloves but that's about it. Any more and everyone will know that you're a tourist. XD

Hi all!

I have already sign up with a tour agent for 2 weeks trip to Europe (Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France & UK) and the trip start early May 08. :rolleyes:

Really need advice on the weather there as not sure what clothes need to take there. Very difficult to decide. Been visiting winter clothing store eg. Winter Times but not much info except they recommended to buy jacket for 10degre celcius above cost around rm200+++ :blink: . Help!

I do agree it can be quite difficult to decided what clothes to bring to Europe this time of the year. The temperatures can be very unpredictable. You might want to check the temperature of those countries before you leave.

At the moment, it's relatively mild (around 17-20 degree) in London so I am wearing a long-sleeved cotton top and a thin woolly cardigan. However next week I will need to wear more clothes because the max. temp will plummet to 12 degree...

Like meiteoh said, layering is a good idea because you can put on more clothes when it's cold and take them off when it's hot.

Okies...here's the thing about Europe.

Same region but BUT because of the altitude and specific geographical changes, the weather can be very different.

I live in Switzerland near the French border (about 2K metres above sea level) and three weeks ago - even though it's officially spring - there was 15cm of snow...from Geneva upwards BUT in Lyon and most parts of France, it was sunny and warm. South of France is perpetually warm and nice by European standards. :)

My advice to anyone who is travelling around spring/autumn to Europe is this - you do not need a snow jacket unless you're going skiing. Just a regular thick fleece jacket or a trenchcoat will do...and lots of layers underneath. By layers here, imagine this - you have your bra, your turtleneck (you can get cotton ones from anywhere for a cheap price) and a t-shirt or cardigan as a top. Then you put on your fleece jacket. That's it. Please don't bring thermal underwear during spring and especially those thick puffy jackets that they sell for winter (waste of money). You'll be boiling...

If you come to Europe and you find that it's cold, well, lucky you. Right now, people don't sell winter jackets anymore so it either goes for cheap cheap or you don't need it. You can opt to buy one that's suited for cold weather here rather than buy a generic one from the tropics.

The weather at the moment is hovering between 16 to 22 C so it's pretty warm compared to 0 to 5 C just two months ago. If you can, bring a small umbrella with you - spring can get wet in some parts of Europe. If you are scared of cold winds and chills, bring a scarf and thin thin gloves but that's about it. Any more and everyone will know that you're a tourist. XD

Dear meiteoh,

Thnak you very much for the advice. But sadly I miss out your post as during weekend I already went to a Winetr Clothing store and bought thick winter jacket... :o .. Aiyaya now have to consider whether to bring this jacket or not....also bought a hang gloves and FOC a thin scarf...

What is Fleece jacket? Actually I'm thinking of wearing bra then a simple short sleeve shirt and this jacket. Will it be sufficient? Actually everywhere also ppl said bring light that's why Iwas thinking of bringing a simple short sleeves shirt and jeans top with this jacket only.

Will you sweat alot under the current weather? I'm thinking of bring just 3-4 pair of jeans for the 2weeks trip..any suggestion? Thanks

No...it's dried here so people don't really sweat at all. Humidity is about 40 to 50% compared to 80 to 90% in M'sia.

Yup...bring light clothing is good. Fleece is a kind of cloth material/texture. Demin jackets are good as well. I'm more worried that your thick jacket will be too warm and you might end up carrying it around more than wearing it. Do you have cardigans? Those are good as well. No need to bring 3-4 pairs of jeans for two weeks...it's overkill. Two pairs is good enough already. :)

To be honest, I went out today and all I wore was a fleece jacket like this, a long sleeved high collar top and my jeans plus sneakers. No scarf and no gloves and even then, after walking 10 minutes, I unzipped my jacket and wore it open. The weather was at a cool 16 C.

Pinky,

You shouldn't need your winter jacket. Can you bring it back and exchange for a lighter jacket, perhaps with internal layers that can be zipped off, or perhaps a semi-warm vest? I'm assuming that your bought a down jacket. You will be boiling, like Mabel said.

If you can exchange for a down vest, that's ok too. You can wear it over long sleeve shirt and maybe a camisole under your shirt.

I would still bring scarves and gloves because if Europe is like US/Canada, it can get windy. Even if the temperature says 16C deg, you will probably feel like it's only 6 deg when the wind is blowing. For me, I know when my fingers, toes and neck are cold then I'll never feel warm. The body is always warm so I tend to cover up my fingers, toes and neck more than anything else.

You might need a raincoat...

Dear meiteoh,

Hi! Thank you for the advices. To be honest, I don't have much jacket- not even a fleece jacket or a cardigan..hahaha guess I'm really not good in dressing up... :lol: . Wah you really know what I'm thinking, I was planning to bring 4jeans during the 2 weeks vacation. I actually wanted to bring 2 jeans only but my period is expected to be during the holiday, so that's why I settle for 4 jeans.

16degree? Hmn.. I'm kinna those who very scare of the cold...

Dear Fusionista,

Hi there. Thanks alot for the advices. well about bringing the jacket back for exchange, I don't think the shop will let me exchange it as it's those china man shop. Sigh! now very regret buy on impulse... :( . My hb seems not very keen in it as he thinks I thinks toooo much about the weather there and he don't seem to mind to bring the heavy jacket there...he thinks I'm paranoid over the weather in Europe... :blink: .Now I'm really half hearted whether to buy new jacket or just stick with this winter jacket... these winter jacket cost over rm600...aiyoyo....

Thanks meiteoh and Fusionista for the good advices. Really appreciates advices from both of you :P . Oh BTW, I have seen both your blogging on cooking and knitting = awesome! ;)

Hi,

Just came back from Italy & Austria last week.

The weather in Italy is much better, you only needs some few layers inside then a light jacket. Due to I was sick during the trip...i gotta wear long john..and sometimes light or heavy jackets to keep me warm...:P but for healthy person, few layers and light jacket will do. For some days, you may not need the jacket. :)

Weather in Austria was cooler..below 10C...but since you're not going there and no worries about it.

Hope this helps...

hi Pinky and Sweetcheers,

can you both share with me what's your Europe package? and which agency you both registered in? if you have the quotation, please send to me at chloelby@gmail.com

thanks a lot ya!! :D

Dear sweetcheers,

Hi! Thanks for the info :lol: .

Hi there,

Me and my hb considering to tour few countries in Europe..Hoepfully start from Switzerlan, Holland (for the Keunkenhoff Festival, Paris and London). Is it safe to go alone 2 ppl only? my mum wants to join us but she wants to go by tour... actually both hb and i had a taste of Reliance tour few mths ago and its so-so only... more on shopping place and the tour member also 99% older ppl...any other tour company ok for europe tour? is it woth it to go travel on our own? any reccomendations? thank you all...

Pinky, if you're adventurous, it can actually be quite fun! Price-wise, you won't be getting it cheaper with a tour and well, on your own, you can stay anywhere you like and move whenever/wherever you like. I'd suggest that you start from Holland coz it's easier to get to Paris via Switzerland and then to London from Paris via the Eurostar...but it's really up to you. Be prepared to fork out most of your cash on transportation - for accomodation, you can stay at backpackers (they are safe and clean). :)

When are you planning to come to Europe?

Hi Meiteoh,

travel on our own cost more than tour but much more flexible? :rolleyes: im planning to go next year end of march coz i want to see the Tulip Festival... Is it ok to travel from Msia to Amsterdam then to Switzerland then back to Paris and finally London?

I really likes Switzerland the most. I have browse thru some travel brochure by Cosmos.. Jungrafau (spelling correct?), Lucern and Glacier train seems very very nice. Any other place can be consider in Switzerland? What is the mode of transport most convenient in Swiss? Any must taste foods? hehe i love eating... :lol:

On the backpackers...how to booked?is it safe? is the backpackers means hostel where we rent the bed for the night? me very blur blur coz never out of msia except once few mths ago.

is it adviceable to buy some travel books and read on b4 go?

thanks for the advice in advance.

Hi Meiteoh,

travel on our own cost more than tour but much more flexible? :rolleyes: im planning to go next year end of march coz i want to see the Tulip Festival... Is it ok to travel from Msia to Amsterdam then to Switzerland then back to Paris and finally London?

I really likes Switzerland the most. I have browse thru some travel brochure by Cosmos.. Jungrafau (spelling correct?), Lucern and Glacier train seems very very nice. Any other place can be consider in Switzerland? What is the mode of transport most convenient in Swiss? Any must taste foods? hehe i love eating... :lol:

On the backpackers...how to booked?is it safe? is the backpackers means hostel where we rent the bed for the night? me very blur blur coz never out of msia except once few mths ago.

is it adviceable to buy some travel books and read on b4 go?

thanks for the advice in advance.

End of March is too early for the tulips. Normally the tulips are from mid-April to mid-May.

Hi meiteoh,

me & FH plan to visit France next year. we got cover on d accomodation.

but we wondering which month is best for visiting Paris & Nice.

i mean definitely not peak season, maybe autumn?

wat is ur advise?

Anyone been travelling from Paris to Nice by train? issit better to get there by air or train?

Thank you so much.

:D Davinci

Pinky, travelling on your own may not cost more - in fact, you can break even or spend less; it all depends on your itinerary, tastes and activities. I'll tackle your questions one by one:

- Is it ok to travel from Msia to Amsterdam then to Switzerland then back to Paris and finally London?

Yup. I'd check out your connection from Amsterdam to Switzerland though. In Switzerland, going to Paris and then to London isn't a problem. You can try the regional network - there are direct trains from Zurich, Geneva and etc going to Paris.

- I have browse thru some travel brochure by Cosmos.. Jungrafau (spelling correct?), Lucern and Glacier train seems very very nice. Any other place can be consider in Switzerland? What is the mode of transport most convenient in Swiss? Any must taste foods? hehe i love eating...

Lucerne, Interlaken (where the Jungfrau is) are all very lovely - very touristic spots, actually. Other places are cities like Zurich, Bern and Geneva - historical, cultural, etc. Lucerne and Interlaken are German areas so they'll defer from Geneva which is French-influenced.

Mode of transportation to go between big cities/cantons (states) are trains - they have trains going up to Jungfrau as well but best to check the price as with everything. :)

As for food, there is the usual fondue, Swiss sausages and rosti. :)

- On the backpackers...how to booked?is it safe? is the backpackers means hostel where we rent the bed for the night? me very blur blur coz never out of msia except once few mths ago.

General, hostels and backpackers recommended by travel guides are safe but it doesn't mean that you don't take the usual precautions. Theft in Switzerland is rare but I can't say the same for Paris or London. And yes, backpacker accommodations are simple - after all, you just need a clean room/bed to sleep for the night, no?

- is it adviceable to buy some travel books and read on b4 go?

You don't have to buy many - just get one - but if you don't want to buy, the Internet is loaded with plenty of information. Don't worry about maps - when you arrive, go to the nearest tourist office. They usually provide maps for free and will offer their assistance. :)

Btw, Mish is right. March is too early for tulip season. You might want to consider going later...

Davinci, Paris or any part of Europe is mostly wet and cool during spring, autumn and especially in winter. Autumn starts officially in September. Usually the best periods for Nice (because it's Mediterranean and beach-front) is around summer but the crowds are thick. Avoid August - it's peak holiday season for local tourists. So yes, autumn is fine. :)

You can actually take the TGV (French train) from Paris to Nice - I wouldn't recommend flying because while it's shorter, it can cost more and well, the trains are pretty comfortable & convenient (plus I don't think Nice has an airport). The train ride can take up to seven hours (from Paris Gare de Lyon) so pack a book, MP3 player and some cards to keep yourself occupied along the way - enjoy the view while you're at it. The Cote d'Azur is very VERY different from Paris.

Dear Meiteoh,

Thnak you for the reply. Mayb I should cut down the countries to 1 or 2..easier and more time to really relax... another thing is: does booking and paying the fees eg. train ticket, hostel/bed etc must b made over the net b4 we go? have u tried Glacier Express? Is it recommended? I saw in net the brochure seems very very nice... :lol:

Hi Mish,

Thanks for the info. Ya thinking of end of March to suit my hb time schedule as he study part time.. now have to rethink other time... autumn? any mth nice?

To Meiteoh,

Thank you so much for your advise. that's really helpful.

So great, cos FH plan to visit after aug, which is totally after his office peak season.

Now just hope we can get cheap airticket. :D

Davinci, Paris or any part of Europe is mostly wet and cool during spring, autumn and especially in winter. Autumn starts officially in September. Usually the best periods for Nice (because it's Mediterranean and beach-front) is around summer but the crowds are thick. Avoid August - it's peak holiday season for local tourists. So yes, autumn is fine. :)

You can actually take the TGV (French train) from Paris to Nice - I wouldn't recommend flying because while it's shorter, it can cost more and well, the trains are pretty comfortable & convenient (plus I don't think Nice has an airport). The train ride can take up to seven hours (from Paris Gare de Lyon) so pack a book, MP3 player and some cards to keep yourself occupied along the way - enjoy the view while you're at it. The Cote d'Azur is very VERY different from Paris.

Pinky, if you're a first time traveller, it's preferable to have everything done before you arrive. If you're seasoned like myself and HB, we wing it, really. :)

As for the Glacier Express, no, we have yet to try it. We're still trying to head to Interlaken but days with good weather are pretty rare and right now, HB is overworked at the office. T.T