SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

Hi makeupjunk,

I'm no breastfeeding expert but my baby used to be like that too when she was 1-2 months old. My baby is 5 months old now, and I get to sleep 3-4 hours stretch at night before she starts crying for milk... and sometimes hubby help out to feed formula so I can catch some sleep too. If it helps, maybe you can try to feed him by lying side ways. I find that this method works better for me coz I can rest while feeding my baby.

During daytime, when your baby takes nap, you can try to take a short nap too. It helps to refresh and keep you energize to handle the midnite feedings. If your baby falls asleep during daytime feeding, try to wake him by slowly rubbing his chin or earlobes. Some books suggest undressing the baby but I never tried coz scared baby will catch cold.

Anyway, I think babies require more frequent feedings when they are small. It'll get better so dun feel too bad about it...

Hi Makeupjunk

First, Congratulation on ur newborn baby!!!~~

can i ask if u r having ur period now??

if u r, maybe this is the reason why ur breastmilk flow decrease~

or maybe u dun feed ur baby frequent enough so ur breastmilk is decreasing and it will end up having no more breastmilk

so my advice is, dun give up, feed him more often whenever he needs it, and drink more fluid~

hi ViV,

may i know where do u attend the breastfeeding clases? and u have any idea where they have clases for moms n dads- to - be tat teaches the correct wat of bringing up an infant / baby.

thanks!

wen

Hey, you can go to Christine Chong in bangsar. She is a Lactation Consultant. Google for Mamalink, you will be able to find all the info. She helps if you have breastfeeding problem too. But she only tell you the breastfeeding and probably a bit of child care knowledge but not the way of bringing up a baby kua......

Makeupjunk, it is normal for baby to wake up every hour for feed. I went through that too.... it will get better after 3 months....:)

yeah, this so side track. Janicelly, do call me if you need some words of comfort.

When I started my breastfeeding journey, no one was being supportive. Including my own parents after a few nights of baby keep waking up every hour. My PIL kept telling me to give her formula milk so they could take care of my baby (in another word, so they could come and stay over, BIG no no.) They keep saying that breastfed baby cannot grow big..... Now they all have to shut up. My girl is 13 months, 10.4kg and 78cm. She is perfectly healthy and only got fever for the first time now due to vaccination jab and yet she is still active as ever.

My PIL too said formula helps boost my baby brain, but i think my baby is quite good. She spoke her first word at 8 months old and now she can communicate with us with simple syllabus. She picks up baby signs in 1 week time!

See breastmilk is good. Whoever tell u to give up. Just ignore them....

Hi vIv, I hope that i can be like you , not staying with Parents in Law, whenever i tell my husband that i want to move out and he will have 100 reason to tell me why it's better staying with them.

Today my MIL actually Threatened me to stop breastfeeding my baby , if i dun listen , and they won't want to care so much about my baby , saying since i dun let them make the decision so next time anything happen they will just let me solve by my own, can u believe that?

Even my own husband is not being supportive about me breastfeeding my baby~, he even tell my MIL to throw away my Breast milk and make formula milk for my baby when i m not around!!!

sigh~so so so sad .... and dunno wat to do, i can't argue with her about breastmilk is better cause he keeps saying my baby is skinny... only that day i brought my baby out and we saw another 4 month old baby and he looks alot smaller than my baby , and guess what my MIL told me? That one is malay baby ma, of course smaller...

I was speechless and everytime we talk about this topic what i can do is to keep quiet ~

sigh sigh sigh!!!

Sally, preseverence wll pay off. When you see your baby so bright and has got the best relationship with you. Everything worth. :)

Not many parents support breastfeeding as their generation was "polluted" by formula milk's advertisement. My PIL was once even says breastmilk is for poor people who can't afford milk powder.... see, fainted.

Whatever they said I just ignore, they can't do me anything right? :P

I have so far never leave my baby to my PIL. She goes to anywhere I go unless I have my mum here with me, then I will leave my baby with my mum. hehehehhehehe

Hi Sally, i dun stay with my PIL but they did came to help during my confinement period and i still remember my MIL kept telling me that my BB was starving (coz he cries almost every hour) and even urged my DH to go and buy the fomula. I've told my MIL to her face (...with a gentle tone..sort of.. :D ) that i wanted to nourish my boy solely on BM!!

Well i must thank my DH for being so supportive during those horrible days... I think your hubby just dun know yet how does BM may benefit your bb, try to make him read more about it(that's what i did to my DH... :rolleyes: )

Please dun give up...!!

hi viv & sally, thx for ur support...i will try my best....however, i notice some pink spotting this few days, does it mean tat i am getting my period soon? i am quite worried...

For those who wished to breastfeed their babies, pls go for it. U might find it a bit tough initially, but the results is definitely worthwhile. I shared a bit of my own results in the posting "supplements needed during pregnancy".

The other is abt objections fr in-laws. When i BF my third babe, i also encountered objections fr MIL, but i persisted for 2 yrs. Now she can see the results so clearly bcos amongst all her grandkids(8 of them), the one who was BF is the healthiest of them all. So take heart, persist and you shall be amply rewarded.

my baby is going to born soon, i plan to breast feeding him. But wondering if at begining stage I don't have enough to supply my baby, what should i feed him? I am worry my baby will get straving if I have not enough breast milk to supply.

Any one can give your suggestion?

a lot of moms are worried that they might have insufficient milk to feed the baby. The actual fact is that the more u let the baby suckle, more milk will be produced. So even if u might feel u do not have enuf, just continue on and before long you'll wonder what to do with the extra milk you have stored in the freezer...ha..ha...

Usually for 1st timer mom, i think it is a great idea to invest in a good electronic breast pump becos u can used it for yr subsequent babies. Bcos i tried BF only on the last fella, i rented from one company (sorilah forgotten the name, but remembered got the contact thru the hospital). The brand used was Medela. I find it good becos it felt gentle and not painful unlike those mickey mouse battery type. You will understand this esp if yr breast is engorged and the gentle suction feels so soothing. On top of that, the flow of milk is much faster, so u spent less time pumping milk.

Thank you for your advise, healthwise.

I saw the Medela Breast Pump in baby shop selling at RM449.00. It is a bit cheaper compare with Avent (RM699.00). But I already bough the pureen breast pump during the pureen's warehouse sell last year end. Hmmm wondering that pureen pump nice to use or not.

one very effective tip i can share with some of you who might suffer fr engorged breast after delivery. Freeze some cabbage leaves and use it as a cover on yr breast when you feel the pain. In no time at all, the pain will dissapear

My baby is now 2 months plus. I only give my bb breast milk at night. She does not like to suck from my breast cause she is impatient and like bottle feed. So i only pump out once at night. Sometimes i m lazy to pump cause i m tired working during day time. She does not like breast milk, sometimes she will make noise when drinking it. She prefers formula because formula taste nicer. Does it help if i only give one time a day? I am thinking should i stop giving her breast milk

would like to ask, i am bf now, though not full time, i hv some blood spotting yesterday, is that my period? it stopped today

Makeupjunk,I think it should be normal o ler.. my bleeding stopped completely only 7 weeks after delivery. it stopped for 2,3 days few times during that 7 weeks

My baby is now 2 months plus. I only give my bb breast milk at night. She does not like to suck from my breast cause she is impatient and like bottle feed. So i only pump out once at night. Sometimes i m lazy to pump cause i m tired working during day time. She does not like breast milk, sometimes she will make noise when drinking it. She prefers formula because formula taste nicer. Does it help if i only give one time a day? I am thinking should i stop giving her breast milk

it happened to most of mix feeding baby. :) continue to breastfeed her if you want. It is totally up to you if to give up. You don have to feel bad if you do not breastfeed, but u can try to feed longer. :)

my bb is totally opposite to urs, lee_yuki2000 , he likes to suck my nipple better than the bottle teat....

yes, some baby likes to suck mother's nipple. My nephew also prefers nipple than teat. I think my milk flow is little that's y she is frustrated unlike bottle teats. If she drinks from bottle the flow is faster.

I have 1 question here, are we need to extract the breast milk every 4 hours daily? I am a working mum during thebeginnig 2 months is should be no problem for me, but I am worry after I resume back to my work, I might not have time to extract the breast milk every 4 hours. Also, how to extract the milk in the office? I cant carry the breast pump and bottle into toilet then carry it out after finish. My colleage and boss will look at me 1 kind. The most important thing is, the office I sitting majority is male colleages only 3 ladies including myself. :(

Please advise.

mmm...sounds tricky to do with so many men in yr office. I've got a friend who carried out BF successfully even after resuming work. She'll pack a few empty bottles to work, pump every 4 hrs and store it in the office fridge. When she's going back, she'll put all these bottles in a cooler-box and bring it back home. She freezed them and give to the babysitter the next day. Her milk supply seems endless and after two mths, she doesn't even need to brg the BF pump to work anymore. It just come out with some squeeze here and there. Good yeah.

Anyway she resigned later bcos the boss not happy to see milk bottles lining up the office fridge. Can you imagine every time he or the male colleagues opened the fridge what is going thru their mind? Heh...heh... that's why i said its a bit tricky for you to do it.

Still no harm in trying. U have a right to give the best to yr babe.

Sally, preseverence wll pay off. When you see your baby so bright and has got the best relationship with you. Everything worth. :)

Not many parents support breastfeeding as their generation was "polluted" by formula milk's advertisement. My PIL was once even says breastmilk is for poor people who can't afford milk powder.... see, fainted.

Whatever they said I just ignore, they can't do me anything right? :P

I have so far never leave my baby to my PIL. She goes to anywhere I go unless I have my mum here with me, then I will leave my baby with my mum. hehehehhehehe

i have same problem - my MIL is not supportive with my idea of breastfeeding.

My boy was diagnosed with jaundice on the 4th day of delivery. He was sent to NICU for 3 days.

He even was diagnosed for G6PD, which he is lacking a kind of enzyme to protect his red blood cell. This means when he in contact with something he is sensitive to, the red blood red will burst.

Doctors & nurses told me that if i want to breast feed my BB, i need to give up ginger and chinese medicine. I did that for 2 days, i want my BB to get the best present from me. Those days were the days where i have the most time shared with my boy. Most of the time i go to the NICU to breast feed my boy. Sometimes when i am tired i went to rooming in bay for rest. I walked ~ 200m every time i need to go to rest & breasfeed. My rest area was the 1st bed near the door, it was very windy. I didn't get well protected from wind. After 2 days, i was pale & feeling unwell from waist to toe (i was having ceaseran some more).

My MIL asked me to stop breastfeed so that i can take ginger & shor hap yuan, and that my boy can get proper nourishment from powder milk. i agreed unwillingly, i still wish to breastfeed my boy when i finish my confinement in this coming 8th Mar.

Any one have the experience to resume breast feeding after giving BB powder milk?

Is it advisable? I afraid that BB will have stomach disorder if i change back to breast milk again.

Any idea?

hi, bear bear, shouldn't be a problem. BM is always the best milk for baby., he'll get used to it... as long as the bb likes to suck, u'll get ur supply back slowly. though i am feeding my boy with formula, i let him suck too, cuz i want to keep my supply available and wish to feed him BM as long as possible.... :)

bear_bear,

I'm feeding my baby both breast milk and formula milk too. Never heard that breast milk gives baby any stomach discomfort as what makeupjunk said, breast milk is the best milk for baby :)

But I'm just being curious, how long have you stopped breastfeeding? Are you still lactating? :unsure: You need to keep stimulating to keep your milk supply coming in otherwise it will dry up. If for any reason you can't let your baby latch on for a period of time, you can extract your milk out regularly. Just throw the milk away after you've extracted since your baby can't have it due to your current diet. The whole idea of extracting is so that you will keep producing milk until your baby is ready to be breastfed again. Hope that helps ;)

Hi chooz,

Yeah, i keep maintaining the supply by pumping the milk out. but not to stimulate it, so the supply now is per pumping for both breast is ~ 30ml.

Hi makeupjunk,

How you manage the leaking of the BM when you are working?

By wearing the breast pad will work? Won't the nipple get infected? Just curious.