SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

hi bear bear, i am not working.

I dont hv BM leaking problem & i dont hv engorgement tat often anymore :( at least after confinement lo, during confinement, hv to chg pad quite often ... anyway, i still wear breast pad now cuz, when i am feeding my bb, the other side of the breast will 'leak' a bit of BM .. so far ok wor, no infection. just make sure tat u take care of personal hygiene will do lo.. :)

wah! it seem that we need to be prepared for that ha....i just scare i don have BM to feed my bibi only...i also not yet buy any breastpump o.... :unsure:

Thank you for your advise, healthwise.

I saw the Medela Breast Pump in baby shop selling at RM449.00. It is a bit cheaper compare with Avent (RM699.00). But I already bough the pureen breast pump during the pureen's warehouse sell last year end. Hmmm wondering that pureen pump nice to use or not.

i bought a pureen breast pump too (electric) but i found it difficult to use. i feel it depends on the user. a friend of mine have been using her pureen pump happily for 1 year + with no issues. she gave me this tip - when the pump is operating, press the release suction button on & off so that the sucking motion will be like - suck, release, suck, release (hope i am making sense here). i am sorry to say i find it tedious & end up buying a more expensive model - medela & it works beautifully (at least for me). hope this tip helps!

Janicelly,

My friend from SG just gave me another breast pump, brand is NUK. It is a Germany product but no idear how's the quality and function. Hopefully it is better then pureen.

Just want to share on my breastfeeding journey.

About an hour after I give birth, baby was brought to me for breastfeeding (breastfeed as early as you can, it's crucial!) & I guess I was lucky becos my baby is very good at sucking (she's already rooting around for nipple while in delivery room, my doc also laughed, said she's hungry baby). Now, my mom is my confinement lady & when she drop by hospital to visit, she immediately ask "what formula you planning to feed your baby ah?" <_< . I have told her from few months before I want to breastfeed baby, no formula & repeat this whenever I see her each time. When paeditrician came to see me, she saw that I was taking "sou hap yuen" (mom instructed me to take twice a day to relieve "wind" after give birth) & warned me if I am breastfeeding & take "sou hap yuen", baby will get jaundice (baby's liver is not functioning 100% yet during 1st week of life). When I heard that, I stopped taking twice a day & I take only once a day (cos kena nag by mom)

Once I am discharged & went back home, the "war" starts :( . As my milk has not come yet, what I am feeding baby is colostrum & the amount is sooooooo little. My mom starts asking again - "how come so little", "no wonder baby always want to nurse so often, you no milk, she's not full", "she alwasys cry, sure your milk not enough" & the list go on & on. I just pretend that I am deaf & kept quiet. When I didnt respond to her "what formula you want to give", she went & ask my hubby. Thank god hubby is very supportive on me breastfeeding (in fact he is the ONLY person who supports me), so he always gave same answer. Now, since I am so thick headed, she stopped asking on "what formula". She starts nagging me for always sitting up to breastfeed baby, cannot rest my back, later will have back ache. So I learn to nurse lying down & solve this problem. After a few days, my baby's jaundice is high, so she have to be admitted to hospital for light therapy. By then, I stopped taking sou hap yuen & take ginger (as per doc's advice) as these will aggravate the problem. After my baby was discharged from hospital, we went back to hometown as it's more convenient for my mom & it was near CNY too. So my only support aka hubby have to stay behind to work.

After going back, mom nags me continuously about my diet, as I dare not take much liquor too. It's really VERY tough on a new mommy when nobody supports you, each time pour cold water on your enthusiasm when you are tired & sore from giving birth, when you are just learning to breastfeed & your hormones are haywired. Apart from my mom, EVERYONE who drop by to visit will say "breastfeed ah? enough milk or not?", "breastfeed & baby will stick to you like a glue" etc. So I continue to be deaf & dumb but sometimes I cannot tahan & I cry myself in the room. Apart from that, there are issues of "why dont you express out & give bottle", "your baby cry so much, give her pacifier" (bottles & pacifier a big no no at least for 1st 6 weeks as it will cause nipple confusion) & the issues go on & on & on.

After going through all these, what I can say is you have to have PLENTY of determination to succeed in breastfeeding. I am proud to say I manage to pull through & shuts everybody mouths (I know my mom is worried I dont get enough rest & not "pou" enough, so I dont blame her & I can understand that). I am now still breastfeeding my baby & I will continue to do so until she want to wean herself. I am back to work now & am expressing out milk for her. My baby sitter is ok feeding her breastmilk. I am so thick skin that I can express milk standing in a public toilet with all eyes on me. I dont care, I just want the best for my baby.

To all breastfeeding mommies out there, wish you all have bountiful milk & to all mommies to be, just try it & see, you wont regret it for the rest of your lives. The feeling is sooooooo special!!!

Kudos to Janicelly... :) You are a wonderful breastfeeding mum.

thanks *shy*.....i am still learning.... any tips to share with me on increasing breastmilk? so far, i can only manage to express about 3 to 4 oz per pumping session at 2-3 hours interval (each pumping session max 1/2 hour). my girl takes about 3 oz per feeding.

one of the reason i am able to continue to breastfeed is my bosses are very understanding (but i did start to brainwash them before i give birth la).

may i know are there any other working moms who breastfeed here? please share your experience with me.

thanks!

wow, Janicelly, u r really a great mama lei ..... aft reading ur post, i feel a bit sorry to my bb, didnt fully BF him .... :(

dont la say like that.....you did try also.....as long as our babies are healthy & happy..thats good enough....

my MIL was my confinement lady. she was/is not supportive BF as well. i stoped ginger n sho hap yun 1st few days after delivery in order to continue BF due to BB having jaundice as well. also she afaid BB will stick to me always n whenever crying BB will look for nipple. how r she going to take care of the BB if i resume work. i stop BF after 7th day of delivery. i was crying every night during confinement period.

now i m after confinement, i resume giving BM. but my supply is very little. per day total up only ~ 40mL and now ~ 20ml. this is the only 'present' that i managed to give my little boy.

I'm also would like to seek for advice, as i'm planning on BF also.... :)

I need to know normally how long we need to pump out the BM, every 4 hours? what is the time consume wo?? :unsure: will it be different for each and everyone?

your breast will tell u when to pump the milk out. :) u will feel the breast is engorged n unconfortable if not to pumped .

how long per pumping depends on ur breast pump - manual or auto, i think.

it took me ~ 15 mins for both breast to get 40mL (that is the most i can squeze out).

Hey Janicelly

Thumbs up for u!!

hehe..

i feed my baby in the public.. i just sat on my seat in the restaurant wth a cloth covering my baby and my chest and feed him there, usualy i will try not to feed him in the public toilet because he doesn't like the smell , he won't eat much if i feed him in the toilet, and will cry for milk again after we come out... at first my hubby was not happy about me feeding with only a cloth covering, i just ignore him.. hehe.. now he is tired of nagging me also ~

your breast will tell u when to pump the milk out. :) u will feel the breast is engorged n unconfortable if not to pumped .

how long per pumping depends on ur breast pump - manual or auto, i think.

it took me ~ 15 mins for both breast to get 40mL (that is the most i can squeze out).

Bear Bear, Increase fluid intake, let ur baby suckle more, 2 hours once, hopefully ur milk will increase back, dun wait untill u have engorgement only u pump ur milk out, this is the reason y ur breastmilk supply is droping~

if you are working, try to pump out every 3 -4 hrs, and when u are at home, let ur baby suckle more often

hope this help~

i feed my baby in the public.. i just sat on my seat in the restaurant wth a cloth covering my baby and my chest and feed him there, usualy i will try not to feed him in the public toilet because he doesn't like the smell , he won't eat much if i feed him in the toilet, and will cry for milk again after we come out... at first my hubby was not happy about me feeding with only a cloth covering, i just ignore him.. hehe.. now he is tired of nagging me also ~

Hi sally.......I'm new in here....but I'm not new in BF. I'm still fully BF my 17-mo-old toddler, beside her solids. Have u heard about baby wearing before? U can use it as a carrier and also a cover for ur bb during ur outside feeding. Ur bb can sit, sleep or feed even if u are shopping, if u are comfortable with wearing it. Feeding in toilet??? :( ........

Anyway, I'm from Pg. We have BF group here....if u r from Pg...then we can meet up.

Hey Janicelly

Thumbs up for u!!

hehe..

Hi SallyComMy,

Thanks! :D . I have not tried feeding my baby in public yet cos she's still small, i seldom bring her out (but wonder what will hubby say if i use a cloth to cover like you do, hehe). Yesterday was our 1st trip out to shopping & i was able to nurse her in baby's room at Jusco 1U (that place is kinda dirty though). Like you said, if have a choice definitely wont wanna nurse in toilet. That time i express in toilet was an "emergency situation", hehe.

How i wish i can be a SAHM so i can feed her direct more! Whenever she's with me, i will feed her direct. I am soooo worried my milk supply will be less now that she's not nursing as much as last time. In fact, i think i have blocked milk ducts because i started to feel pain last thurs. When i touch my breast, can feel it's lumpy. As I fed her direct over the weekend, the pain lessen & it's not that lumpy anymore.

Hi sally.......I'm new in here....but I'm not new in BF. I'm still fully BF my 17-mo-old toddler, beside her solids. Have u heard about baby wearing before? U can use it as a carrier and also a cover for ur bb during ur outside feeding. Ur bb can sit, sleep or feed even if u are shopping, if u are comfortable with wearing it. Feeding in toilet??? :( ........

Anyway, I'm from Pg. We have BF group here....if u r from Pg...then we can meet up.

Hi shloh,

Wah! You are so great!!! May I know where can we get that "baby wearing" you are referring to? Are you a working mom?

Wonder if there are any MB forumers in PJ who have joined BF group......

Hi all,

I got question. I'm hepatities carrier, can i breastfeeding my baby? Heard from my fren which labour in private hospital said doc wont allow, but in GH doc will insist BF. I'm confusing...

Pls advise

Regards

xiaoposh

Hi all,

I got question. I'm hepatities carrier, can i breastfeeding my baby? Heard from my fren which labour in private hospital said doc wont allow, but in GH doc will insist BF. I'm confusing...

Pls advise

Regards

xiaoposh

hi xiaoposh,

it is best if you ask your doctor about this. apart from that, there are 3 types of hepatitis & i dont know which you are referring to. you can go to this link http://www.babycenter.com/0_breastfeeding-...patitis_8684.bc to read more as a guideline but as i said earlier, the best is to refer to your doctor about this.

good luck!

Hi shloh,

Wah! You are so great!!! May I know where can we get that "baby wearing" you are referring to? Are you a working mom?

Wonder if there are any MB forumers in PJ who have joined BF group......

Hi...Janice, I'm a homemaker but I've friends who are working mothers, yet able to fully breastfeed this their kids over 18 months (my BF group friends in Pg).

U can find info on baby wearing from this site....my friend's site. She's also BF mother. She makes her own baby wearing slings on her own after she fed up with the "market" products. U can learn and make ur own too. She started a babywearer group in Pg and I think KL oso have one group like this. U can check out the "Facebook".

http://www.peekaroobaby.blogspot.com/

Oh....btw, we oso have a BF group in the "Facebook". Check out www.facebook.com and look for MMPS (mother to mother support) group and of course the "malaysian babywearers" group.

can i join the BF group ah? though i am a part-time BF mom .... :) didnt know tat those baby sling can use as a cover too...usually, i will BF my bb in the car, then in public mmm ....i hardly feed him in public. cuz usually, i will go out right aft his milk time, then rush back home b4 his nx milk time...

Hi all,

May i know what's the price range for the baby wearing in Penang & KL? All any online shop sell it? Here in JB not many choices for the fabric. saw 1 brand only with 2 pattern (both not so nice), cost RM69.90.

Today i consult the gynae in GH, she said not a problem for me to BF my baby in the future as i mentioned earlier i'm Hepatities carrier. She said wont affect the baby. :) Luckily, otherwise sure i'll very very sad if really cant BF the little 1

Regards

xiaoposh

I am just like Sally. I will just use any cloth, as long it covers well, i will just feed my baby. In the restaurant, it always happened. Shopping mall are all equiped with baby room, so definitely not a problem. But I have not brought her to hawker stall, dont think i will bf there.

I can use the sling for some reasons, hands like feet, can never manage to put my baby inside nice and neat. Sigh.... but babybjorn saved my life, cannot bf inside lor....

can i join the BF group ah? though i am a part-time BF mom .... :) didnt know tat those baby sling can use as a cover too...usually, i will BF my bb in the car, then in public mmm ....i hardly feed him in public. cuz usually, i will go out right aft his milk time, then rush back home b4 his nx milk time...

Hi......if the bb sling u use is the ring sling type, u can use it for feeding too. Have u seen a ring sling before? The extra cloth that falls out from the ring can be use to cover. U can check out this more if u join the Malaysian babywearers group in the "Facebook". Or u can find video from "You Tube" regarding how to wear this....

Hope this help.