SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

:o dun scare me. is c-sec very painful?? my cousin juz had c-sec last month... when i ask her pain or not, she says no wor. somemore she is not that strong type.

hi,

wanna check with you all, is it true once baby started on solid food, they will sometimes reject BM bcos they will get use to/like other taste (eg : sweetness of sweet potatos)? a friend told me this happened to a few friends.

i am seriously considering investing in a double pump which is not cheap & if this happen 3 months down the road.... :unsure:.

appreciate if you can share with me. thanks!

babyjazz

maybe my case is different. I was induced for 2 days before doc asked me to give up going for natural. i had the 'swap'(s) and my membrane was ruptured during the epidural on the day of my delivery. and the backache from my contractions lingered on even after my delivery. plus, i tried very hard not to be reliant on the painkillers. But don't let it scare you la. i think for my case, my depression over not being able to go through a natural delivery added to my stress and tension, which made BF even more difficult. One of the key points in breastfeeding is to be as relaxed as possible to assist with our let-downs.

if c-sec under GA, how to breastfeed the bb immediately ?? need to wait till waking up from GA right?

anybodi who have gone thru c-sec under GA, please give some opinions. thanks

Hi....Babyjazz,

Just wonder, why r u going for a C-sec under GA?

I was afraid of delivery too when I gave birth to my 1st bb. I opted for epidural. Though I was very aleart and able to BF my bb after the drs are done with my stitches (I had complication due to epidural, can't feel the timing to push, tore wound, lost blood)......but I won't recommend another mum to go thru this unless ur physical condition really don't allow u to do normal delivery.

hi,

wanna check with you all, is it true once baby started on solid food, they will sometimes reject BM bcos they will get use to/like other taste (eg : sweetness of sweet potatos)? a friend told me this happened to a few friends.

i am seriously considering investing in a double pump which is not cheap & if this happen 3 months down the road.... :unsure: .

appreciate if you can share with me. thanks!

Hi...Janice and others...

Check out this about 1st food. http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html

Oso....u will need to know if ur bb is ready for 1st food b4 u start introduce them.

As for my case, my gal didnt reject BM, in fact....she asked for more, at night (more frequent).

As for breast pump, I bought Spectra dual. Good and cheap. Now loan to a friend as my bb prefer direct suckle... :P

Hey Janicelly

Thumbs up for u!!

hehe..

i feed my baby in the public.. i just sat on my seat in the restaurant wth a cloth covering my baby and my chest and feed him there, usualy i will try not to feed him in the public toilet because he doesn't like the smell , he won't eat much if i feed him in the toilet, and will cry for milk again after we come out... at first my hubby was not happy about me feeding with only a cloth covering, i just ignore him.. hehe.. now he is tired of nagging me also ~

Hi SallyComMy,

Thanks! :D . I have not tried feeding my baby in public yet cos she's still small, i seldom bring her out (but wonder what will hubby say if i use a cloth to cover like you do, hehe). Yesterday was our 1st trip out to shopping & i was able to nurse her in baby's room at Jusco 1U (that place is kinda dirty though). Like you said, if have a choice definitely wont wanna nurse in toilet. That time i express in toilet was an "emergency situation", hehe.

How i wish i can be a SAHM so i can feed her direct more! Whenever she's with me, i will feed her direct. I am soooo worried my milk supply will be less now that she's not nursing as much as last time. In fact, i think i have blocked milk ducts because i started to feel pain last thurs. When i touch my breast, can feel it's lumpy. As I fed her direct over the weekend, the pain lessen & it's not that lumpy anymore.

Janicelly.. me too.. i feel pain on some part of the breast..I went for ultrasound breast scan and found many cysts on my both when my bb is about 3 months old, doctor sed it's most probably milk, now my bb is 6 months and i dun feel that anymore~

I am just like Sally. I will just use any cloth, as long it covers well, i will just feed my baby. In the restaurant, it always happened. Shopping mall are all equiped with baby room, so definitely not a problem. But I have not brought her to hawker stall, dont think i will bf there.

I can use the sling for some reasons, hands like feet, can never manage to put my baby inside nice and neat. Sigh.... but babybjorn saved my life, cannot bf inside lor....

Hi vIv~~

me too~~Hubby is been saying that expenses go up because we cannot bring babies to hawker stall ~

i got question!!! previous post i mentioned i'm a hepetities carrier. but after check with GH dr, dr said no problem for me to BF the baby.. last week i went for private gynae check up, ask dr same question too but he just reply "normally we dont encourage" .. hb ask him why, again he repeat "we not encourage!!" hb so fed up, going to change gynae for next mth check up :( what should i do? who should i ask???

Hi Xiaoposh, let me try and ask my paediatrician the next time i visit her for bb vaccine:)

my gal had her 3rd month immunisation last week and she was down with fever for 2 days. At night, it went up to over 38 C and freaked us out. She's exclusively on BM. But the thing is, when she was down with fever, her appetite went down and refused to be fed. I was so desperate to keep her hydrated i fed her with water too. So i'm not really sure if my BM did help bring the fever down...

Did ur paed gave u paracetamol? she usually give me and ask me to give my bb when she got fever after the immunisation~

i am due on june... any idea how to make sure i got breast milk when the bb arrives?? can i start pumping one month before deliver?? :)

I think it's perfectly normal for u not to have milk during the first few days ba...

I din have milk also for the first 2 days...

i remeber posting about my story here b4.. but i forgot under which topic..

anyway.. After delivered my baby around 3 in the afternoon, the nurse bring back the bb forme to breastfeed when i was still lying on my bed ( i had epidural) .. after he sucks for like 5 mins... he din want it anymore.. but when i look at my nipple.. already got blood there! my nipple cracked..~ then second time.. around 7 in the evening.. nurse bring him to my room for me to feed him again.. this time i give him another breast.. again.,. cracked! .. so my both breast also cannot use lo... then midnite i cannot tahan anymore... i ask the nurse to give him formula .. hehe.. next morning my paed came n see me and i showed her my nipple.. she gave Medela Purelan to apply on it.. and ask me to feed my baby somemore... second day around 11 i went to the nursing room and feed him there.. sat there for like 2 hours.. he keeps suckling and fall asleep and continuosly doing this for 2 hrs..

frequent and long hr feeding for 2nd and 3rd day... the fourth day i tried to use my manual breastpump to pump... only about 10 ML out..... then after 1 week... i have about 150ML every 3 hours...

hehe.. but my bb not taking so much.. some milk i pump out i gave back to the hospital because my paed sed they might need it~

So dun worry so much, i think if u keeps feeding ur breastmilk sure have enough o~

Another thing, i tot breastfeeding help ur uterus to contract? if u extract ur milk when u r pregnant, not sure if it will bring harm to the baby woh... <--- correct me if i m wrong anyone~~

Another thing, i tot breastfeeding help ur uterus to contract? if u extract ur milk when u r pregnant, not sure if it will bring harm to the baby woh... <--- correct me if i m wrong anyone~~

hi,

Definitely not for my case. Is it not all babies will love solid food at start. My girl only accepting solid at about 10 months old and till now, she doesn't eat a lot of variety too. And of course, she rejects all kind of formula milks that I tried to give her.

Hi all,

Talking abt pumping.....

1. If u r a 1st time mum, u don't have to pump during ur pregnancy.....u won't have milk....if even u have, it will be very little.

2. I know lots of u out there are working mum, but if u want to ensure successful BF, u really need to think that "I will BF my bb, not I'll pump and feed" my BB, except when ur bb is about 6 wks old.

3. Breast pump is great, but they are not as great as our bb.

4. Why some mums facing milk decreasing problem....is that they don't feed directly and as the result, when they are bz or tired, they tend to delay the pumping (not like direct feeding, every 2-3 hrly)....so....ur body will think that ur bb don't need that much of milk.

Talking about BF 1st child and expecting the 2nd child

1. It's still possible to do so.....some 1st child will weave automatically as the taste of the milk will change when mum expecting another one.

2. some mom do tendem feeding both kids (one toddler, one bb)....

3. BF will help the uterus to contract, but that is for the initial stage after delivery. When a mum is expecting the 2nd one, I believe that, there should be at least 2-3 months gap, between the 1st and 2nd bb, so...it should harm the 2nd one.

Talking about GH...and confinement centre

1. I gave birth my son in GH. Yes, they are so called "bb friendly and BF pro hospital", but not all succeed in BF. I overcome my BF problem when I discharge. Seek help from my pead friend.

2. Most of the confinement centre r not BF friendly but there a few centre which support BF too. Just check it out b4 u book lah.

Milk production during the initial stage

1. We produce very little milk on the first day. And our bb already stored themselves with enough fat and fluid for "starving" for 2-3 days until our milk supply boost up. That's why bb usually will have weight loss or very little weight gain at the 1 wk.

2. Even if u think u don't have milk (which u actually have), it's still good to let BB suckle (correct latch on). This will send signal to ur brain that ur bb want the milk....

3. BB was in our tummy for 9 months, now he/she is in this brand new world,.....he/she needs lots of cuddle, skin to skin....just like u and me.....want to be hug and cuddle by someone we love or love us.

4. Oso.....lots of BB refused to suck when they were bring to their mums, why?? Cos' most of them were fed with formula. Most hospital has the routine to feed the new born formula milk while they taking care of the mum. If a bb was fed, will he/she wants to suckle? So....pls tell ur dr u want to BF ur bb and u don't want any formula.

5. Oso....dr might give u sleeping pill after delivery, their routine.....so u must oso ask them what med they are giving u. If u sleep soundly at night, how to BF ur bb? Night feed is very important.

Ok.....I will stop here....hope that what I said didn't offense any of u.....

Take care.

Loh

Yes!! i can totally understand when you say that confinement centre is not supportive about u breastfeeding your baby,

For anyone who is going to be due and from penang and decide to go to a confinement centre, i would definately not recommend you to go to ***** ( msg me if you want to know , as i do not want to mention this centre's name in public)

I had a bad experience with that confinement centre, i ended up staying there for about 10 days only and went home and hire a confinement lady.

hi,

Definitely not for my case. Is it not all babies will love solid food at start. My girl only accepting solid at about 10 months old and till now, she doesn't eat a lot of variety too. And of course, she rejects all kind of formula milks that I tried to give her.

My Baby doesn't want bottle! even i pump out and feed him the breastmilk in bottle also he doesn't want,

he starts solid exatly at 6th month. but he still prefer my milk ~

hehee

Ok, contraction of uterus still happened everytime you breastfeed, confirmed from a gynae. Just went to gynae last month and he told me that I have to be extra careful if I breastfeed and pregnant with 2nd baby. But it is alright to breastfeed while pregnant.

It's normally the mother who made breastfeeding sounds difficult. My difficult part is my girl takes me as her walking pacifier now but I totally understnad it's not breastfeeding's fault, it's me that allowed her to do so and made it a habit in the initial stage. So, as long as you concentrate on the right way to breastfeed your baby, you should be able to succeed.

God give the priviledge for the mothers to breastfeed their babies, so, do it! :)

3. BF will help the uterus to contract, but that is for the initial stage after delivery. When a mum is expecting the 2nd one, I believe that, there should be at least 2-3 months gap, between the 1st and 2nd bb, so...it should harm the 2nd one.

Sorry....typing error.....

It should be " It Should NOT harm the 2nd one"

Thousand apologies.....

I found interesting link about BF and pregnancy....maybe u all will like to read....????

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/resources/myth-fact.html

Loh

hi,

wondering how soon did your period came back for those who breastfeed exclusively? i have some spottings since yesterday but i read it's not suppose to return so soon ler :unsure:

thanks!

*edit* confirmed not spotting, my period just came back :(. no wonder my milk supply had been low these few days!

Period, some can come back fast like your case and some can come back long later like me... I got my period only after 15 month of delivery.... I saved on a lot of things breastfeeding my lil one!

thanks viv! i thought i was weird! i was hoping to have a longer "dry season" :lol: cos like you said can save some $$$. it's affecting my supply :( , this morning i pumped for 1 hour can barely get 2 oz!

another question - how much should a 3 month old baby take EBM in bottle? i am scared my baby sitter is overfeeding my baby. she told me she managed to "push" baby to take 4 - 5oz per session yesterday :blink: . i can barely fulfill my quota to send to her :( . my baby sitter dont have experience handling BF babies, she is using FF babies as a benchmark. i read there is a difference so cant compare like that. how do i tell her nicely not to give so much to my girl unless she cry for more after a feeding?

appreciate your advice!

My gal is also being fed on demand even with bottle, but a rough gauge is about 4 oz each 2-3 hourly. once a while, my gal would demand for milk in less than 2 hours from her previous feed even though she was being fed 4 oz already. sometimes, she would drag the 4 oz into 2 hourly sessions. but on average, my gal needs 4 oz per feed. and when i BF her directly, she still demands for milk almost every 2-3 hourly. For me, if she does not demand for milk and sleep through her next feed, i will try not to go over 4 hours without feeding her. Coz i noticed that at night, she can sleep for 5 hours, which is really good for me, but the moment she wakes up, she would be ferociously demanding for her milk and gets choke easily. and I can feel bubbles in her tummy.

I think my period returned in the 4/5th week of delivery. Doc said it's likely to be period. Then, I had spotting (pretty heavy one) in my 2nd month. but it was only for 1 day. it felt like period. but mine usually lasts about 1 week. so i'm not entirely sure. since then, till today, i have no spottings (yet). But i did notice that during the spotting period, my milk flow was really low.

by the way, some malay nurses at the GH advised me to go for urut sessions like what they did, said that it helped with their milk flow. I think it does help coz the sessions made me more relaxed, which helped with my let down. I had one session last week and i could pump 7 oz 2 hours later, and that's after i fed my gal. 7 oz is considered alot for me. I didn't get any chest massage though, coz i didn't manage to pump before the session. I read that chest massage is even more effective. I was also told that getting a back rub right behind the chest on both sides using the thumb will also help. Maybe you can go for one short session and learn to relax :)

hi bumblebee,

where to go for this massage? / urut? do you have the contact of the urut place?

i would like to learn more to prepare myself for bf. as i plan to bf my baby too :)

thanks in advance!

hi bumblebee,

thanks for sharing. you girl eating habits is quite similar to my girl :lol:. i guess i need to talk to my nanny to ask her feed on demand (i am worried she will think i am fussy :unsure: ).

my period is very heavy today, hope it will be gone fast. it used to last a week for me too last time & i used to have bad menstrual pain. i am feeling soooo tired now.

i need massage session badly! can share where you went & price? thanks!

sorry gals, me not KL-based. therefore cannot recommend you my urut lady :) Think any spas/massage place will do la, just tt usually malay urut is much cheaper.

janicelly,

forgot to mention, i try to store EBM, 4oz each in either bottles or bags. so... then can monitor my stock and how much my gal drinks. perhaps you can do the same, so your nanny won't go open a new pack just to get the extra oz out .