SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

i tried fenugreek with hot water, i feel it taste good. haha i drink it for few days already. didnt notice it will drop the blood sugar. how long can we take it continuosly?

ogosdream,

once you noticed an increase in your supply, you can stop taking it & use other methods to maintain your supply (pumping when you are away, nursing as often as possible etc).

yeeyee,

thanks for sharing. as for reducing blood sugar level, my milk tea came with the same warning.

ya, heard that mother milk tea contain fenugreek as well. That's y it can increase the milk supply as well. Anyway, have u try the fenugreek? Does it work for u?

i know some of my friends take fenugreek tablets, some find it good some find it not effective. so i think depends on individual la.

i find that papaya soup works very well for me though

yeeyee,

i've never tried the fenugreek before cos i seldom need it *thank god*. i just drink my milk tea during my period to boost it up a bit, so far so good la!

quazi,

ya, you are right. it dont work for everybody. actually i would say to try other methods (add pumping session, nurse more, take oatmeal/soup/red dates tea) before trying herbs or any medication.

For me, I am disappointed with my milk supply. I have never succeeded in pumping more than 1 oz. And whenever I let my baby sucks, he stop sucking within 5 minutes. Hai... I think my BM is going to stop already...

Heard even if baby doesn't suck but keep pumping, it will produce milk as well. Anyone has experience?

One more question. Can I mix the BM which I have expressed 3-4 hours ago (kept in fridge) with the recent expressed milk?

Thank you.

For me, I am disappointed with my milk supply. I have never succeeded in pumping more than 1 oz. And whenever I let my baby sucks, he stop sucking within 5 minutes. Hai... I think my BM is going to stop already...

Heard even if baby doesn't suck but keep pumping, it will produce milk as well. Anyone has experience?

One more question. Can I mix the BM which I have expressed 3-4 hours ago (kept in fridge) with the recent expressed milk?

Thank you.

hi yuhchyng,

never give up! breast milk is the best food for ur baby. Can I know how old is ur baby? all the while u r are mix feeding?

my son didn't know how to suck last time as he is premature baby. I pumped the milk out and feed him with bottle (he has no problem with bottle feed as milk can flow out fast from bottle). Even though I didn't have much supply for him, but I still manage to feed him until he is 8 mths old (mix feeding). The technique is keep ur pumping session as frequent as possible. I used to pump per 2-3 hours daily to maintain the supply. Maybe u can shorten the time if possible to stimulate more milk.

Try fenugreek! I feel it works for me. I took 2 days for day and nite. Afer that I noticed that my milk supply is increased.

Don't mix the newly expressed milk with the cold milk which keep in fridge, as the antibodies might be destroyed. U can only mix it when 2 bottles of expressed milk are at the same temperature. So do keep the newly expressed milk in fridge oso, unitl both oso the same temperature then only mix it.

Hope can clear ur doubts.

Found this topic and I would to share something. BTW, I'm a new father to my 1mth 2week old son. I've posted some of his photos in the Baby Photos thread. Check him out.

I would like to share my experience from a father's point of view:

1. First of all, formula milk is "cow" milk. Why should our baby be drinking cow's milk instead of mother's milk?

2. Mother's milk is thin. It is easy for baby to digest. It is not an easy journey. Your baby will need to change at least 10 - 15 diapers a day.

3. Baby sucking breast milk is a tough job. Your baby will get tired after a few minutes. Wake him up to continue.

4. Don't stop stimulating for breast milk. Your supply will decrease even if you skip one session of expressing your breast milk. That happened to my wife.

5. Eat the right food. So far, I noticed that fish and papaya helps. Yeeyee, I will take note of fenugreek.

For the sake of your baby health. Never give up on breastfeeding. Get your husband to be part of this incredible journey.

Thank you.

Hi Yuchyng,

Don't get disappointed... the supply will increase gradually if you continue to breastfeed or express. I stopped expressing about 2 weeks ago but before that I have been expressing all the time for about 5 months. I didn't direct breastfeeding my son since he was about 3 weeks old. I didn't get very much of breastmilk initially,probably about 60-70ml but if you perservere and pump every 3 hours even at night, the supply will increase. So after about 2 months i think... I manage to get 150ml during day time but 260 - 280ml first thing in the morning. I took Fenugreek tablets and it was useful.

The breastfeeding support worker told me that the recent expressed milk can be mixed with the old one in the fridge but should be used within 24 hours.

Chong, in reference to "mother's milk being thin", note that there is foremilk and then there is hindmilk. Hindmilk is thicker and creamier, packed with fat and what-not and usually comes after several days or sometimes a couple of weeks of breastfeeding.

yea my son din wanna latch quite sometime ago already, and i survive on 100% pumping only. but the supply hasdecreased alot. my son auto wean off when he about 11 mths old. he is now coming to 14 mths, and i 'm still expressing.

yea you can mix the bm, but got to make sure the temperatue is the same.

Thank you.

Hi All,

Thanks for your support. My baby is going to be 8 weeks and unfortunately I have to stop breast feeding him. I will be back to KL for work and my mum will take care of him in my hometown. I thought I could at least breastfeed him before I leave but it's very disappointing. I have tried papaya soup and red bean soup. They helped but not much.

I have just expressed the last one for him and will be back to KL later. :sad:

I was about to suggest that you check how your baby is latched on because incorrect latch on can lead to issues sucking...plus bottle feeding at such an early age often results in nipple confusion (babies on bottle are lazier at sucking than BF babies) - but I noticed that your mum will be taking care of your baby and you'll be in KL so...ditto on not being able to BF. :/

Joyce, from Babycenter.com, here's their recommendation/suggestion from this article:

One of the wonders of breast milk is that it can meet your baby's nutritional needs even if you're not eating well. But just because your baby won't be harmed by any dietary insufficiency on your part doesn't mean that you won't suffer. Getting enough vitamins and nutrients is important because you need energy to meet the physical demands of caring for a new baby. Think of nursing as continued motivation to follow the healthy diet you followed during pregnancy. Focus on eating whole grains and cereals, fresh fruits and vegetables, and foods that provide plenty of protein, calcium, and iron. (As always, a treat every now and then is fine.)

Eating well doesn't mean you need to eat more. Experts used to recommend that nursing moms get an extra 500 calories a day, but recent research indicates that breastfeeding moms don't necessarily need a calorie boost, says breastfeeding expert Kathleen Huggins, a BabyCenter advisor and author of The Nursing Mother's Companion. Your energy needs will depend on your current weight and a lot on your activity level — there's no one-size-fits-all recommendation.

You can read more from the link.

I'll also try to get some tips from The Baby Book which has a very good few chapters on breastfeeding and diet for breastfeeding mothers. Will put it up later. ^^

According to The Baby Book, breastfeeding mums need an additional 300 to 500 calories a day and balanced nutrition should cover the following on a daily basis:

- whole grain bread, cereal, rice and pasta (six to eleven servings)

- vegetable group (three to five servings)

- fruit group (two to four servings)

- fish, meat, poultry, dry beans, eggs and nuts group (two to three servings)

- milk, yoghurt and cheese group (two to three servings)

Please note that servings mean portion sizes recommended by nutritionist like a handful of nuts and etc and NOT based on your usual meal portion which is often more than a handful of the above group.

Carbs should make up 50 to 55 percent of your diet and we're talking about GOOD carbs like pasta, grains and fruit NOT cake, ice cream and refined flour/sugar and white rice. Healthy fats should make up 30 percent of daily calorie intake and lastly, protein should make up 15 to 20 percent.

Babies need fat to build brain and nerve tissue but fat here means GOOD fats like Omega 3 - you can get this from fatty fish like salmon and oils like flax, canola and soya oil. So you might want to switch to cooking with canola or soya oil instead of normal corn or vegetable oil. Cut back on hydrogenated fats like animal fats and etc (found in meats and chicken skin).

Calcium is also important BUT for those who can't take milk, no worries, you can get tons of calcium from other non-dairy sources: sardines, soybeans, tofu, kale, broccoli, beans, salmon, tofu, watercress, dried beans, raisins, carrot juice, okra (lady finger) and collards plus other greens (veg).

Iron is important as well and iron-rich foods include fish, poultry, prune juice, lentils, soybeans, and iron-fortified cereals. To improve iron absorption from food, eat and drink Vit-C rich foods along with each - combos like meatballs and tomato sauce plus cereal and orange juice are good.

Drink 8 glasses a day but don't over do it as it may backfire and slowdown breastmilk production. Avoid coffee, teas, colas and alcoholic beverages as they are diuretics.

AVOID the following as they might cause colic in babies (watch out for the signs of a fussy baby within twenty-four hours after eating the food item - if it happens again, you know it should be off your good-to-eat list):

- Dairy products. The potentially allergic beta-lactoglobulin in cow's milk transfers to babies from breastfeeding, causing intestinal irritation. Some mothers may need to eliminate all dairy products including ice cream, yoghurt, butter, and products made with whey, casein and sodium caseinate (all milk derivatives).

- Caffeine-containing foods. Soft drinks, chocolate, coffee, tea and certain cold remedies all contain caffeine and some babies may be more sensitive to this than others.

- Grains and nuts. The most allergic of the group are wheat, corn and peanuts.

- Spicy foods. They may cause gastric issues resulting in a fussy or colicky baby.

- Gassy foods. Broccoli, onions, brussels sprouts, green peppers, cauliflower and cabbage are the gassy producers so you may want to avoid them if you find that it affects your baby.

yuchyng,

dont feel so bad. you tried your best & that's what matters most!

joyceyee,

Mabel posted very useful information. personally, I dont take alcohol at all & I seldom take dairy products or spicy food (cos I dont like them). Am cautious with nuts/seafood too (will monitor baby for reactions after i ate). So far so good. So, if you wanna eat any of the so call "taboo" food, go ahead BUT monitor your baby's reaction cos each baby reacts differently.

Mabel,

The Baby Book by the Sears are damn expensive here la, aih (actually all books are damn expensive) :(.

Janice, I ordered mine from bookdepository.co.uk - the prices are in USD/pound/euro but they offer free shipping worldwide, including Malaysia. After calculating, it's cheaper to buy from them than here in Switzerland. Can't even find the darn book here. =.=

How much is it in KL? I got it for about 17 euroes which is around RM85.

Hi mummies,

Today mistakenlly order a spicy food.. So guilty after having it. As my baby, now 8weeks still suffering colid every night! Feel so sad when saw him suffering colid every night. Sometimes till he cry and wake up.. He just feel so uneasy and uncomfortable..

Not sure what is the reason, already avoid brocolli, cabbage etc. However, he still suffering :(

yuhchyng,

We are having the same question ;)

Just check with Lactiotion, Dr. Koe last w'end. She said it's find to mix BM in same temperature. So you got to keep the BM in fridge 1st before you mix it up ;)

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

yuhchyng,

You can still feed him BM. Just express out and store in freezer. For the milk supply problem, you must drink a lot of water coz 85% BM is water and try to keeps pumping e.g. pump every 2hrs.

I have milk supply problem initially. However, I din't give up, just keeps pumping. 0.5Oz, 1Oz.. just store up. Eventually milk supply will comes. AND>>... BM supply do link with our brain. Dun't ever think that you dun't have enuf supply. Must think that I must have BM for my bb!

FYI, I din't let my baby latch on since born, except the 1st week as he is having nipple confusion. However, miracally, he latch on after I switch to MAM bottle / nipple. I belive that MAM nipple design just like breast nipple. That's why he latch back on his 7weeks!

Keep it up!

Hi All,

Thanks for your support. My baby is going to be 8 weeks and unfortunately I have to stop breast feeding him. I will be back to KL for work and my mum will take care of him in my hometown. I thought I could at least breastfeed him before I leave but it's very disappointing. I have tried papaya soup and red bean soup. They helped but not much.

I have just expressed the last one for him and will be back to KL later. :sad:

Hi mummies,

Today mistakenlly order a spicy food.. So guilty after having it. As my baby, now 8weeks still suffering colid every night! Feel so sad when saw him suffering colid every night. Sometimes till he cry and wake up.. He just feel so uneasy and uncomfortable..

Not sure what is the reason, already avoid brocolli, cabbage etc. However, he still suffering :(

hi sywiser,

colic problem? have u burp ur baby after each feeding? maybe u can try the oil (如意油). Put a few drop in ur palm, rub it until ur palm is warm then put on ur baby's tummy. They like it very much. Whenever I put oil for my gal, she will stay still there to enjoy and smile.

If still not work, u can try using Gripe water (水) which can release the colic problem for baby also.

as1cCBS0g411810MDAwMDYxMmR8MDY2OTcxNmR8T