SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

YSLee,

It's nice to hear you still can go play badminton etc. Having mom around can really take a lot off our burdens! I really can relax when my mom come to visit (which is not often).

As for pumping, why cant you bring your pump along when you go shopping? I do that when I go out without my gal (eg : macam take leave to paktor with hubby). This way, you wont need to rush home lo.

I agree when you said after you get use to the lifestyle, it's managable.

Sweetie Kua,

Actually people born with inverted/flate nipples (not without nipples, could be inverted or flat) can still nurse. Remember it's BREASTfeed not NIPPLEfeed. Baby should latch on to our aereola & NOT our nipples. With extra attention to latching & positioning & lots of patience, I believe she can do it. Tell you friend to read up more on BF NOW, dont wait until she gave birth only start reading. You can direct her to this link to read more about her problem. Get help from an experienced mommy & LC. I believe it's doable :).

joejoe,

Taking panadol is fine but if you are sick, better consult a doc. Take care!

zeroflower,

I do get what you mean. Same with my hubby too. I wake up few times a night to BF & end up he look more "charn" then me. Actually I've read an article before, we women are built tougher then we think. We can survive motherhood waaaay better then dads. If ask them to wake up few times like us, I think they will be like zombie!

I dont know whether you spoilt him or not BUT ask if you really need help. We cant be superwoman. I've tried & failed :p. Delegate tasks to them & be straight to the point. I've learned my lessons!

tml,

Yes, you can put it inside the cooler box. Some mommies do it cos no fridge in office or fridge not clean.

Aih, we really sacrifice a lot for our babies right? But I feel it's worth it lo. GAMBATE everyone!

YSLee,

It's nice to hear you still can go play badminton etc. Having mom around can really take a lot off our burdens! I really can relax when my mom come to visit (which is not often).

As for pumping, why cant you bring your pump along when you go shopping? I do that when I go out without my gal (eg : macam take leave to paktor with hubby). This way, you wont need to rush home lo.

I agree when you said after you get use to the lifestyle, it's managable.

Sweetie Kua,

Actually people born with inverted/flate nipples (not without nipples, could be inverted or flat) can still nurse. Remember it's BREASTfeed not NIPPLEfeed. Baby should latch on to our aereola & NOT our nipples. With extra attention to latching & positioning & lots of patience, I believe she can do it. Tell you friend to read up more on BF NOW, dont wait until she gave birth only start reading. You can direct her to this link to read more about her problem. Get help from an experienced mommy & LC. I believe it's doable :).

joejoe,

Taking panadol is fine but if you are sick, better consult a doc. Take care!

zeroflower,

I do get what you mean. Same with my hubby too. I wake up few times a night to BF & end up he look more "charn" then me. Actually I've read an article before, we women are built tougher then we think. We can survive motherhood waaaay better then dads. If ask them to wake up few times like us, I think they will be like zombie!

I dont know whether you spoilt him or not BUT ask if you really need help. We cant be superwoman. I've tried & failed :p. Delegate tasks to them & be straight to the point. I've learned my lessons!

tml,

Yes, you can put it inside the cooler box. Some mommies do it cos no fridge in office or fridge not clean.

Aih, we really sacrifice a lot for our babies right? But I feel it's worth it lo. GAMBATE everyone!

janicelly, thx so much...

im sure my fren will feel happy with ur reply. will show her the link.

YSlee,

Yupe i bring pump when i go shopping mall. Not sure in KL. But i went to S'pore last week and pump at Taka,Tiong Bharu Plaza n Ion Orchard. They have room with curtain while Ion is room with door. In fact this is my 1st time pump in the public. Feeling so ackward :lol:

Wanna ask when u stop BF, when ur period start coming in ?

Thanks all, I'm in the process to stop BF

meiteoh,my baby also fussed a few times last few nites.had a hard time putting her back to sleep.lasted over an hr also....

Janice,warmer takes some time to warm up n then oni will warm the bottle.so i feel it's slower.if we mix the hot n cold water,i feel like a bit faster lor.plus my MIL said no place to put.the sterilizer alr she said no place on the kitchen counter.her kitchen very cramp wan coz too many things alr.i hope she will use the sterilizer lah.have a feeling she'll be lazy to use,and use the boiling water instead. :dry:

zeroflower and tml...thanks! i'm at work now.luckily today first day back to work,not much work to do.my boss said he has to arrange to delegate back the work to me.i told him no rush.hahaha... :lol:

so i hope i'll be able to go back home at 5.30 on the dot today,if not earlier.kekeke....then i can direct feed my baby for her evening milk time.sitting in office wondering whether my MIL in time to warm up milk for baby or not.hope she doesn't cry tat much.wonder if she misses me? sigh....last nite she like cannot sleep peacefully.sleep awhile,get up,sleep awhile get up.i had to wake up a few times to carry her,rock her for like 1 min,before she falls back to sleep.maybe she knows i won't be ard to take care of her during daytime.

and she cried so much last week that her voice became coarse :sad: especially one day when my hb said i spoil her.wanted to train her so told me not to carry her when she cries.i tried lor...coz he said we'll both be working later and i'll be tired lah.so i listened to him but i regretted letting baby cry a while before i finally had enuf and picked her up.i carried her awhile oni she fell asleep liao.made me feel so sorry and guilty for letting her cry.the next day,she like traumatized.when she cry,i pick her up,she like cling to me.scared i put her down again.heartache...

anyone know whether baby's voice will heal and become ok again? scared she'll have deep and manly voice later when she grows up.

by the way,so far i've pumped once at 10.30am.my next pumping session is 1.30pm and then 3.30pm.hope my breasts will fill up alr by those timings.we've got a mother room for breastfeeding mothers to pump at work.so we have a schedule to follow lor.cannot simply go in and use.

L&J, wow! ur office got nursing room! sooooo good! I so envy lah ! & for the 1st few days back to work, we sure miss our little one!!!! but u'll get use to it soon especially when busy with ur work! me too...miss my bb but now get use to it liao...

About warmer vs.mix hot & cold water to warm milk, I thgt using warmer is faster leh ! but myself still using hot+cold water lah coz don't think to waste the warmer when I stop to bf next time...

Sometimes our babies seem like know what is going to happen around them as u said urs can't sleep well lastnite! Mine when I told him Mummy is going to work on the day I back to work & I told him to stay with his nanny, he seems understand also & got few times he showed me the shower face!!! pity !!!

About ur bb voice changed after cried so much, I don't think her voice will continue to be like that provided u don't always let her cry like that lah ! just once a while doesn't matter I think...

My last pump also around 10 something this morning in the office! next pump might be 3 something liao! ok, u keep up the good pumping job too ! gambateh!

Hi Bao B,yes.very lucky tat my company has a mother room.got the mini freezer to keep milk summore.not bad hor?

i got a warmer.but last time we always tak sempat warm up wif the warmer.i used the hot+cold water instead.my warmer is the little bean wan.comes free wif the sterilizer.

yours got show face,mine cannot sleep...aih...kesian hor?

i "sam kua kua"...dunno how is my MIL taking care of her...and i actually feel worried tat later on my baby is more attached to my MIL than me :sad:

i will not let her cry like tat anymore.after tat episode and her voice became coarse...i carry her whenever i see her like gonna cry alr.

hmm...my 2nd pumping session,milk reduced by 1 oz.

1st session:left breast 4.5oz,right breast 3oz

2nd session:left breast 3.5oz,right breast 2oz

i wonder if 3rd session will reduce by another oz again?

L&J, ya u r lucky enough! got freezer somemore!...ya our bb so kesian hor !!!??? think to just stay at home to fully take care him !but can't lah!!!!!

for my 1st day or even now I work for 3mths plus already, still thk to call up my nanny to ask how's my bb at daytime but I hold back loh ! don't want her to say I so loh soh ! hm....everyday just wait 5pm to rush to pick him!!!

Good! not to let her cry like that anymore! kesian lah! ..

How long u spend to pump each session ? u got so much supply hor! better than mine! sometimes if it drops a little bit, doesn't matter lah, it will boost up again mb the next next round...don worry !!!!

Wanna ask when u stop BF, when ur period start coming in ?

Thanks all, I'm in the process to stop BF

Simonne, I think it depends on ppl lah, some ppl even with their period when still breastfeeding but if totally stop bf, then I think it comes soon loh...

Zeroflower, Bao B, YSLee,

I burst into laugh when read your time management. I believe all the bf mummies are like that.. i wonder one day i'll heart attack coz always swallow the food then bath after meal before bf. Seems become orang asli coz so long never read the paper already. and just now i was running in the shopping to rush back before feeding time. Time seems goes on with feeding, pumping, sterilizing, organise bottle only... Luckily my hb supportive too. But he remind me to play with bb more frequent while joining the pumping contest or else she wont appreciate my hardwork for her coz cant feel my love lor..

L&J

I am returning to work soon too. starting a new job at new company. worse. I keep think how should i pump as not familiar with the environment yet. wonder pumping will affect my performance.. now keep plan the method to pump effectively. :unsure:

anyway, good luck in your first day work!

Janice, by the way, i saw your previous post mentioned to put the pump (in container) in the fridge to avoid cleaning at office. I am thinking of putting the pump in cooler bag instead. wonder will it be ok..?

tml,don't laugh us, ok ??? even myself oso burst into laugh lah when reading what Zeroflower said ! actually what she said is right for us ! I oso learnt how to have my quick meal & bath everyday! if I want to wash hair, then die! I take so much time till late to finish everything after back from work!! sometimes really like siao char bo!

like last weekend, I die die squeeze some spare time to make my cheese oreo cake coz drooling a lot after c the cakes in the recipe thread in mb....end up, make myself soooo busy & tired!!! haha! luckily the cake is yummy othw wasted my time & energy ! about pumping, what zero said is correct too! we r like joining the pumping contest !have to pump in time no matter how tired we are !

oh, u r joining new co ? hope u can proceed with ur pumping! I can understand how u feel to pump in a totally new environment!

abt washing pump, I do wash mine everytime after pump with tap water but swing many times to make it more dry & keep it in plastic bag openly to air dry & then close up !!!! othw, so ngilik to use back loh!

L&J, usually my baby will stay awake for a while (like 10 to 15 mins) to burp after each feed but every time my parents see her eyes open, they'll keep her awake for at least an hour or more. So end up my baby will take longer to fall asleep, feel not rested coz have to wake up again to feed, and then at night, she'll fuss like gila for hours on end. @.@ Yesterday was super bad, so much so that even my boobs also went gila and started to overproduce milk again (luckily I managed to contain the problem).

So pening la jaga baby with my parents around coz they aren't very helpful when it comes to taking care of her. =.=

bao b,i also tempted to call back but cannot lah.my MIL alr bo song this morning when i told her if baby cry,sometimes she just wanna sleep.just carry her for awhile.she was very quick to cut me off and said she knows wat to do. :sad: i was just trying to tell her baby's habit mah...sigh...

i oni spend abt 10 mins.after tat,my milk will drip slowly alr.just now slightly lesser than the 2nd session.but luckily not as much as 1 oz.

hmm...i think i'll be like u mummies lah...i take care of my baby full time at home during maternity leave alr no time to do ANYTHING! oni faster faster shower and eat and soemtimes online.watch one epi of drama also take whole day.

meiteoh,i soooo understand wat u're going tru.sometimes those grandparents just dun get it.or maybe they dun care.my in-laws like to wake baby up or like your case lor,see baby's eyes open a bit oni alr shout and say,baby is awake! and faster carry her and play wif her or show off to ppl who come to visit.i very geram lor.coz baby is actually sleepy or just buka mata for awhile before they fall back to sleep again.but they take it like she's awake.then baby will fuss for hrs and WE are the one who suffer.have to put baby back to sleep.i very angry actually but cannot tell them off lah...

then they overstimulate baby,baby fuss at nite.coz tired wanna sleep,cannot sleep.i have to carry and sway n rock her.then i kena from them n my hb...say i spoil baby.now we have to always carry her to sleep. :sauer2: i did try to ward off visitors when baby is sleeping but my MIL will dunno purposely or not on purpose talk loudly.then baby naturally will stir and open eyes a bit.then she will say baby is awake,show the relatives or frens her granddaughter. :sauer2: i cannot tell her off in front of ppl lor...wait she got no face mah.i dun want to create any tension lah...but i really suffer at nite or when baby cries non-stop.then they got the cheek to ask me wat's wrong wif baby,like i'm a lousy and incapable mother.my FIL always say," still the ah ma ho liao" coz baby cry too much alr..when she carry my baby and comfort her,she falls quiet.but got once,baby dun want her.when i carry back,i managed to soothe baby to sleep.HA! inside i was so happy.

i have no prob if visitors just see my baby even tho she's sleeping...just be quiet.but tat's not enuf for my MIL.she must show ppl her eyes and keep on saying,"see,her eyes so big.her double eyelids so deep etc" and will turn on the bright lights.WAAAHHH....i was fuming inside!i understand she's proud of her granddaughter,i'm touched but still....how can u wake a sleeping baby jsut to show off rite? if baby is good,falls back to sleep without fussing,i dun mind.but my girl has the voice of a giant.very loud!she doesn't cry,she screams! i damn pek chek man...

phew! sorry ah...had to vent a little.once i let it out,i tend to not know when to stop.haha

tml...funny rite our lifestyle? but it's definitely very true..! but what u said,...it's rite cos many bf moms should also be goin tru the same thg..just mayb some a bit better at managing time..me..hmm..duno la//i have a problem managing myself what more baby and bf! :lol: but still can survive lar... hehe

i put my pump in cooler too but i wash with tap water then hot water, swing dry and keep in cooler..should be ok... :)

L&J, u lucky girl!!! got freezer and room as well. wow..great.. i pump every where i go n bring my cooler weith milk n pump everywhere i go too cos im not based in office..always go out..so i dont even leave my cooler in car cos hot. so ppl ask me what am i carrying i say luunch! hehe..

it's normal to miss our babies lar..i still miss my ALL the time..u at least mil look after..u sure know she's in good hands..mine babysitter..always worried..

as for yr mil..sama lar..my mil always ask me if my girl is sleeping when clearly is fast asleep cos im carrying her n her eyes r closed...but sure must ask one lor...loudly somemore cos i think she wants to carry but she';s sleeping mar...then my girl will wake up when she hears my mil's voice..aiihhh..very irritating sometimes cos then girl will be awake for so long n get moody later cos tak cukup tidur..ish..

walau baob..can make oreo cheese cake somemore..ur a superwoman lar..

janice..yup. i will aSK him if really cant tahan..but sometimes cant help feeling that many wives have an extra baby..their hubby! hehe..not all lar..but from my observation..quite a lot.. :) men are generally weaker la..look only strong.. :lol:

btw..everyone, is it ok if babysitter just boil water then off the gas and put the bottles in the hot water to sterilize the bottles? cos my babysitter "ter burn" my bottles! @.@ melted all of them (4 bottles) she forgot she was boiling them till the neighbour called her.. thank God didnt explode or what..so now i feel like asking her not to boil the bottles..more wear n tear aso.. so what do u all think? can ar???

Quick question - would like to ask you gals when you started pumping and whether you still feed directly even though you pump? Reason being is that while I love to feed her directly, I am afraid I won't be able to tahan all those late nights (especially when HB starts working again) and also, I'm concerned that if there is an emergency OR I get sick, my baby can still feed (from bottle) and such. Then I am worried about nipple confusion and all which is why I'm holding back on the bottle feed/pump. :S

zeroflower ah... if using boiling method, u shld boil it for 10mins la.. Y dun u ask her to steam instead? Just put a metal rack on top of the boiling water and steam for 10 mins just like steaming fish??

started pumping at 2 mths. mainly feed direct, bottle feed when i am away fr bb, she won't take the bottle when i'm around. no nipple confusion, she clearly prefers fresh milk. however, when she HAS to drink from the bottle, she can finish her 3-4 ounces easily (most probably coz hungry).

actually, i find it easier to direct feed, now that she's having growth spurt, kinda latched on 24/7. if need to pump, habis la... most probably pump 24/7 also. btw, the late nights are awful in the 1st month coz take ages to drink & burp. 2nd month onwards its just a quick 10-15min drink, 10-15min burp & change diapers. all done in half hour. if pump milk, takes 15-20mins, then need to sterilize pump, label bottle so ends up about the same. by the end of 2nd mth, maybe wake up 1-2x for milk. sometimes 1x only.

meiteoh

For me ah.. i 100% pump. For mid night feeding, i just warm up my pump milk. I think pump out milk is faster. Yes mid night feeding is very tiring... very lazy to wake up hehe..

Er ... I wonder if it's appropriate for me to join this topic. But I can't contain my happiness to see that there're still many mothers out there who have not abandoned what Mother Nature has intented the breasts to do - that is, to feed babies.

So, all women shouldn't forget to use them according to nature's "manual of instruction".

Although the woman's breasts can also function as "toys" for men, that is only a supplementary role.

By the way, if your man is rather fond of groping around those softies of yours as if looking for something, why not give him a more usfeful assigment? At least that would make him "kill two birds with one stone" so to say.

The task? Ask him to feel for lumps, and if he finds something suspicious, you must quickly see a doctor.

Breast cancer is no joking matter.

Sweetie Kua,

You are welcome. Ask your friend to join us here la. The more, the merrier ma!

simonne,

Cant really tell but if you are supplementing with FM / dropped night pumping sessions / fed baby water, it could come back anytime now.

L&J,

Hmm, although I seldom use warmer, I found it ok but nevermind la, just use whatever way you are comfortable with.

I miss my gal till now although it's already 1 year plus she's with nanny. I also wish I can stay home with her.

Yoh, you have good supply! Envynya saya!

zeroflower,

Aiyo! Sounds so dangerous la. Maybe get her a steam sterilizer? Like what BunnyNWife said, need to boil 10 minutes to sterilize ler.

Mabel,

I will suggest hold back from bottle feeding until AT LEAST 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. I know it's exhausting ~hugs~. Can you learn to BF lying down? If you are worried about doing it at night, do it during daytime instead. This way, you can rest more. Just give it a try 1st & if really cannot, bottle should be your last resort. I kinda worried AFTER your parents saw you bottle feeding, they'll insist wanna bottle feed to "help" you :s. For now, nap when baby does. Lock the door if necessary :p.

I agree with Happi, it's more hassle bottle feeding cos have lots of things to wash & sterilize!

Things will improve, PROMISE!

jocelyn,

There's no evidence that says a BF mom cant dye or perm her hair BUT please be aware some of the chemicals used will be absorbed through our skin. You can read more about it here.

Final choice is up to you. I did neither so far.

meiteoh,now i direct feed my baby at nite.i did bottle feed at nite before.i think both are equally tiring lor.

but ur baby is less than 1 mth old,am i rite? if yes,better dun start bottle yet.wait got nipple confusion like mine.but mine is coz i totally give bottle for 1 week plus lah...then wanna latch on,she suck like sucking on a bottle teat.my nipples were still sore,so i felt pain.but now ok alr after i direct feed 99% of the time.oni once in awhile if i'm away,someone else give her bottle.but now start work alr...daytime she has to drink from bottle lo.no choice.

and i caught my MIL giving my baby water.yesterday when i went home and this morning before i go to work.i scared she give too much lah,since i'm not at home.dunno how many times she feed baby wif water...wait baby feel full and won't want to drink milk. :sad: plus give bottle so many times.wait baby used to sucking on bottle.how ah? how to tell her leh? since they think tat water is easily digested.once drink sure baby urinate out.even tho i said breastmilk is 80% water. :sauer2:

janice,i thot my supply is ok nia.like tat considered a lot alr? coz my baby can drink 4oz per feed.i scared not enuf for her when my supply drop.

Janice, Simmone, Happi & L&J, no lah, me not planning to intro the bottle now - still too soon for my liking plus I'm not working and all so prefer to direct feed. Was actually planning to intro when we're in SG or when I'm weaning her (have yet to actually decide when per se although HB thinks I should continue until 6 months from the breast). Am wondering if I should start storing up milk since I'm not planning on introducing the bottle - kind of weird, no?

And Janice, you're right. Already my mum is asking me to express milk into a bottle so that they can help feed her, especially when I need to run to the government dept to handle some official paperwork. I just told her "no need, the office is just in town, 10 minutes away and we'll go after I feed her and be back before she wakes up".

meiteoh, wah, yr parents kinda dangerous if equipped with a bottle. for myself, i did pump maybe 1 bottle per week whenever breasts were engorged & also to store in case of emergency if i'm really tired/sick/can't make it home in time. the bottle was never used, end of the week i drink :cool: . but it did give me some amt of security that bb won't get hungry in case of emergency & she will hv enuf to standby for 1-2 hrs. btw, frozen EBM not so tasty, so havent tried giving bb, normally just give chilled EBM - even that also must be room temperature or slightly warmer, if not she will refuse to drink. btw, chilled EBM tends to degrade in flavor the longer u store it & it doesnt store too well, no need to overstock yr supply if u plan on direct feed majority of the time.

Help! I discovered some weird tiny things in my EBM this morning ! my bb still left a little bit my EBM which I warmed by hot+cold water after he was full this morning so I just think to wash the bottle & I opened the teat cover to pour the leftover into sink before I started to wash ! who know I saw many weird short hairy things flowing out in a group followed by another group!

I tried to touch it in the sink who know it just become watery & I can't sensed anything except my milk!

I wonder what is that ? any of u discovered before ??? I suspect is that my milk that not warm well ? or any dirty thing on my breast but I don't know & pump into the storage bottle? but if it is dirty thing then why can't I sensed it when touch it ????it just very very tiny weird things & only happend this morning ! I never saw before !!!! :mellow:

I show HB lifestyle by Bao B, Zeroflower and YSlee, he laugh too and more supportive coz knowing not only his wife gila pumping. hehe...

Regarding washing pump in office, i did plan to wash by hot water but headache to show new colleague lor.. untill i read some post mentioning to put pump inside container in fridge and only sterilize when returning home. I was like... wow...!! that's good method for me lor. but wonder any problem to mix fresh milk with the chilled left over milk on pump. Janice, so far no problem when you practice this pls..?

Bao B,

if from inside breast should be ok, i think. i heard one of fren's paed say we wont know what goes inside bb's mouth if not pump out.