SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

hi all, i am a new mumy here ^_^

i am breastfeeding my cadence since birth and at first i breastfeed for every 2-3 hrs as per the doc/nurses said...even tho baby is still sleeping so i will wake her up and feed her but normally she doesnt eat much and will fall asleep again..and this makes me quite exhausted also as i cant sleep well as i need to wake up very frequent...

now my MIL and confinement lady asked me not to wake her up, they said she will cry whenever she is hungry..so i am a bit confused here..should i wake her up every 2-3 hrs just to breastfeed her or wait till she scream? the reason doc/nurses asked me to feed every2 hrs is to promote milk production and reduce engorgement?

normally how long u guys feed one breast? 15 min? how to make sure she is having enough milk? from the poo? at least 5 big seedy poo per day? or from the urine?

First of all, your CL and MIL of course will ask you not to wake her up coz less work for them BUT if you don't feed her every 2-3 hours in this early stage when you're establishing your milk supply, your supply will definitely drop. Plus newborns are more prone to sleeping a lot - Eva was such a sleeper that she can go on for hours without a feed. But I woke her up every three hours anyway, even through the night.

Also please don't wait till baby cries to feed her - it means that she is very VERY hungry. Babies cry for food as a last means thing - they have signals like rooting reflexes and so forth. Feed your baby then NOT after or when they cry.

How to know if she's had enough is from her weight gain and wet diaper count (6-8 wet diapers).

Meiteoh,

After you wake up Eva every 3 hours to breastfeed her, does it become a habit for her to look for feed every 3 hours? I'm just curious if that will happen. A friend of mine told me that her daughter will wake up everynight at 3am to ask for milk though she's already 3 yrs old. I thought that's a bad habit.

the 6-8 wet diapers is refering to urine or poo? or both?

my bb is a slepy head, very hard to wake her up, it will take around half an hr just to wake her up by changing her diaper, tickle her or removing her clothes etc...so end up i also bcome tired and almost fall asleep when i breastfeed her... sometyms when she even fall aslep when i am feeding her, end up i only feed her for a while then put her back to bed..

mei teoh, how long u let ur bb suck on each breast? have to be at least 10 minutes right? so how long she takes for one feeding time? an hr?

sometimes my bb is like just wanna suck on my nipple, but i try not to use pacifier...

bearbear, personally I don't recommend feeding babies below 5 mths once in a few hours. The max I would ever let Eva go on without food is 4 hours. According to my LC, babies should not be left to go on without a feed for more than five hours if they are below 6 mths.

When your milk supply establishes really depends on individual plus it will go havoc again when your baby goes through a growth spurt. So no need to be so rigid. :)

DA, wet diaper means urine; dirty diaper is well, poo-filled diaper. If you're BFing exclusively (no water or solids), baby can poo after every feed or even once a week. :)

Sounds like Eva last time - always sleepy so before a feed, I'd stripe her down to her diapers and get her to feed. She'd nurse for 15 minutes at most on one side and then stop or nurse for a short while on the other boob. So next feed, I start off with the last boob she fed on and so forth. We take about 20-30 minutes in the first month and then the duration slowly drop. My record so far is less than 5 minutes per boob. This was when she was at 4 mths and super distractable. :P Now my feeds are about 10-15 minutes for both sides - babies get better at extracting milk as they grow older. :)

I was told by my Swiss midwife that babies should not nurse for more than 30 minutes on one side - 30 minutes is enough for them to get to the hindmilk. Any more and they are using your boobs as a pacifier. She advised me to gently stop the suckling and make sure that Eva doesn't fall asleep at the breast coz if she gets used to falling asleep at my boobs, she'll want my boobs every time before she sleeps. End up I'll become the pacifier which is not healthy.

thanks meiteoh...u really clear all my doubts...thanks.. ^_^

coz i read from "what to expect" right, the author said baby will poo for at least 5 times (big, seedy, mustard color poo) per day if i am feeding her with sufficient BM...as yesterday she din poo much i was so worry that i might not feeding her enough...

i am also worry that my lil cadence will use my boobs as pacifier..so if i din hear any gulping sound, i will just move her away from my boobs and put her to bed, sometimes she will continue to sleep, but sometimes she will wake up and end up i have to feed her maybe for 5 mins, then put her to bed again..is this ok?

My 2-week old baby's urine used to be pale yellow but now in the 2nd week, it's turned really clear. I'm still on 100% latch on, and I always try to get him to empty my breast. Should I be concerned? Just wonder if he's taking too much foremilk.

He usually goes 2 - 3 hours in between feeds, but sometimes, he can be quite cranky and asks for short feeds after 1/2 or 1 hr.

I'm really confused now. When my bb keeps wanting to feed, my hb says I'm not feeding him enough.

When he regurgitates his milk ( only occasionally, abt 1 hr after feeding ), my mom says I'm feeding him too much. Is it normal for babies to regurgitate milk?

clear urine means he's getting enough liquid, that's good.

only frothy green poo signals too much hindmilk.

for a newborn there's no fixed schedule, so its normal to feed within half hour or 5 mins sometimes! just try to burp just in case its a burp blocking the milk from going down. its also very normal to regurgitate milk until 2-3 mths old.

My 2-week old baby's urine used to be pale yellow but now in the 2nd week, it's turned really clear. I'm still on 100% latch on, and I always try to get him to empty my breast. Should I be concerned? Just wonder if he's taking too much foremilk.

He usually goes 2 - 3 hours in between feeds, but sometimes, he can be quite cranky and asks for short feeds after 1/2 or 1 hr.

I'm really confused now. When my bb keeps wanting to feed, my hb says I'm not feeding him enough.

When he regurgitates his milk ( only occasionally, abt 1 hr after feeding ), my mom says I'm feeding him too much. Is it normal for babies to regurgitate milk?

thanks happi. :smile:

My mom, hb and I are inexperienced in handling a newborn, much less a breastfed newborn.....sometimes really worried why he doesn't have a fixed schedule for feeding but I guess that's what feeding on demand means. :lol: Most of the time, he'd feed for 15-20 min and other times, he'll go on and on for 1/2 to 1 hour ( he seems to be satisfied with only 1 breast per feed ). Hmm....I din know I got so much milk on one breast to last that long....and he's suckling regularly with only brief rests in btw.

Btw, his poo is mustard color but when it comes out of his anus, it's frothy like coca-cola. Err....is that normal?

Marlene, please refer to this site for more info on decoding your baby's diaper. Does it smell like curded milk and are there grains? If so, it's still alright.

All of us are first timers, so no worries there.

Yes, feeding on demand is just that - on demand. Although do make sure that he's actively sucking when you're nursing him because if he isn't, it means that he's using you as a pacifier. :)

u're welcome marlene.

yes 1 breast per feed is also enough for my baby even at 9mths, seldom need to feed both sides.

yes, the poo looks like all the colors meiteoh has recommended on the site. it also comes out like bubbled poop, or reminds me of 7-11 slurpee. compacted bubbles & comes out in almost any color. sometimes it even has the sound effects! :P

hmm...wat i know is tat if it's green and frothy means too much foremilk.

and yes,my girl only needs to take in 1 boob per feed :)

Thanks ladies. :smile:

Yes, I'd been warned by the LC not to let bb take my boob as a pacifier....

Qarezma,

U need to speed up baby's suckling....tickle him on the chin if he stops for too long ( > 5 seconds ).

That way, u'll make sure he's actively suckling & swallowing, not just suckling for fun =P

Ladies, I'll be in KL from tomorrow onwards and was wondering if anyone know where to get some nice (but affordable) nursing attire around PJ area. Button tops are a quick fix but I'm looking for tops/dresses geared for feeding. I read Mothercare and Jusco has some; anywhere else?

Ladies, I'll be in KL from tomorrow onwards and was wondering if anyone know where to get some nice (but affordable) nursing attire around PJ area. Button tops are a quick fix but I'm looking for tops/dresses geared for feeding. I read Mothercare and Jusco has some; anywhere else?

Their is a shop inside Tropicanal Medical Centre, forgot the name already, is in ground floor. But a bit pricey lah. Fobolous mom also have some, but limited choice.

Mabel, go SS2 Babyland, they do sell FabulousMom nurshing attire overthere, price is reasonable and affordable. If you have the luxury in time, go to their TTDI or Puchong outlet for more choices.

Just to update, amazingly with all the support i get here, i'm still breast feeding... thanks all and keep breastfeeing girls!

Btw, can I know how to prevent baby from using our breasts as a pacifier? Those of you who are bf more than 10 months, does yr baby wake up to drink at night? mine wakes up once, is it ok or should i feed her water?

Mei, i just got one simple small tee for 50+ from fabmom. tropicana there is maternity warehouz, nice clothes but price on the higher end. some very nice dresses too... definitely rm150 above..

Thanks ladies! Will check out the places especially Babyland coz I stay nearby (Seapark) and see how it goes. :) Am car-less so have to wait for my mum to get back from work after lunch to drive me there and etc, unless I walk to SS2 la. :p

Zero, on the boobs being pacifier, I got only tips for newborn and not so much for older baby woh.

Thanks ladies! Will check out the places especially Babyland coz I stay nearby (Seapark) and see how it goes. :) Am car-less so have to wait for my mum to get back from work after lunch to drive me there and etc, unless I walk to SS2 la. :p

Zero, on the boobs being pacifier, I got only tips for newborn and not so much for older baby woh.

meiteoh, Do share your tips, or is it in the forum already? My baby takes my boobs as his pacifier, and sleeps almost immediately after suckling for few minutes. I did try slowly removing the nipple away from him, but he wakes up and refuses to sleep, and tries opening his lips to grab my nipples on his sides.. sigh.. it pains me seeing him want something and me not giving him.

Hm...have you tried removing your nipple when he's already in deep sleep as in his limbs go flaccid and you feel that he's heavier? Yeah, the tips are in this thread - a few posts/pages back.

Hm...have you tried removing your nipple when he's already in deep sleep as in his limbs go flaccid and you feel that he's heavier? Yeah, the tips are in this thread - a few posts/pages back.

cool will check them out.

I have another doubt to clear on BF, and it is some 'old beliefs' that my mom has. She says that taking oranges or yogurt (any sour food in general) can cause regurgitation in babies. I have been taking mandarin oranges lately, and sometimes, my baby has regurgitation during burping, and mom quickly blames it on me!

Zero, I think your baby should be able to sleep through the night without a feed since he/she is already on solid food. My baby stopped waking up for feed from 5 mths old. I read from a book that you should gradually wean your baby off the night feed, instead of going cold turkey. E.g. if your baby has been drinking 5oz, give your baby 4oz and keep at that level for 3 days, if he/she is ok, then reduce to 3oz and keep that for 3 days, and so on, until eventually your baby do not wake up asking for a feed.

Every time I pick up to soothe my baby when he cries, he'll want to feed though he's just been fed lots a few minutes ago. He opens his mouth wide wide and starts pushing his head towards my breast. He doesn't do that if he's picked up by my mom or hb, though.

The thing is, if I feed him, I can see him suckling for milk, not taking my boob as a pacifief. Why does he do that? I'm afraid I might be overfeeding him bcoz I can't tell whether he's hungry or not that way. Why does he do that? Should I just let him hv a short feed till he's satisfied or should I discourage him from doing that?

I've tried singing to him, cradling him and walking around, talking to him etc....he's soothed for only a few minutes before looking for me to feed him again.