SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

cutey, at around 3-4 months, babies go through what is known as a distractable baby stage whereby they will refuse to nurse when they are awake and prefer to look around and so forth. Drowsy or dream feeds work best to counter this. Have you tried feeding him when he's drowsy and when it's quiet/dark?

Some babies also go through a nursing strike - mummies who face this have to be persistant and try to offer the boob when babies are asleep (dream feeding) and so forth.

my mum only able to feed him when he cries till too tired and almost fall asleep, but then once he sleep he doesn't drink and my mum dare not to wake him up, just let him sleep, and wait till he wakes up again and repeat the same thing, cry..tired, drink a bit then sleep, the vicious cycle just go on and on

My baby hates drinking from the bottle & would make plenty of fuss when MIL/hubby bottle feed him. Hubby also pressuring me to bottle feed more at home so my baby will be used to bottle and it's less hassle for them to feed him.

I asked hubby back "will you be the one to feed him in the middle of the night? if not, then forget about it"

I don't want my baby to prefer bottle over boob and end up, I've to do more pumping/washing up/feeding via bottle when I can just direct latch on.

ashandrea, so how your MIL/hubby manage to feed your baby?

my hubby willing to feed baby in the middle of the night when i'm doing night shift...i know he just worry when baby didn't drink for many hours, but what you said is correct, why have to pump out as i can direct latch on?

Thanks ladies :D! Let's gambate together!

cutey,

Ok, maybe you try to get Breastflow bottles? Baby is supposed to suck from it like from mommy's boob. You can get it from Robinsons/Moms' Care & some online shops. I used to use this bottle at nanny & my baby have no problem with it. Just give it a try & see if it works.

It is very stressful when baby behaves like that but try not to worry so much. Nurse him more often when you are around. For working moms like us, sometimes babies will reverse cycle - eat less when mommy is away but nurse more when mommy is back. As long as he poop & pees ok, gaining & meeting milestones, try not to be too worried (easier said then done!).

you can get breastflow feeding bottle from carrefour too.... but i try drinking from the bottle, it makes me draw lotsa air b4 getting the fluid.... i ended up letting my girl use it with the blue base removed, ie like conventional bottle... worried she might get colic from it...

thanks janicelly and ceetee, will go to carrefour tomorrow to get the bottle, hope it works...

today my hubby pressured me again as my boy refuse to drink for 6 hours, spoon/syringe doesn't work for him. my boy doesn't cry much today, when my mum try to feed him he just sleep again, but for sure he is hungry already... since i back to work last week, i noticed my boy no longer has chubby face and didn't gain much week as before although he reaches the milestone... :sad:

I am finally out of my confinement!! Pumping out around 90-100ml during 3am pump and first morning pump. The rest are about 60-70ml. I gave up in boosting my supply la because I realize the more I stress, the fewer milk I get. So I told myself to give whatever I could squeeze to my girl.

CL complain that since I started taking cold drinks again 2 days ago, baby got lots of wind. I have been taking iced red dates tea and soya bean and also cold milk. How true is that?

Do u guys take instant noodles when u r BF? How about outside food? Caffeine? Occasional beer? Am slowly adjusting back to my daily routine as am starting work soon.

Dear vivoon,

Congrates!! Finally u re freedom!! Confinement really drives us crazy!

During my confinement, my CL always advised me wat food & drinks I can/cannot eat, so I alsa kuai kuai followed as this is my first baby I do not have any idea about the pantang larang. However. I don't followed everything blindly only those really 'make sense' then I followed lo!

I did not drink ice because it can affected breastfeeding baby, as wat i know, breastfeeding concern is :- watever food the mommy consume the same goes to your baby. Ice/cold drinks can cause baby stomach ache or diarrhea. Since I don't have homecook food, so that I tried my very best to eat more 'healthy' and 'nutritient' food for the very first few mths (up to 4-5 mths), then slowly I adjusted back to my normal eating pattern as I believe my baby should be able to tolerate with the food by then. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not a big fan for coffee and beer, so I didn't drink it at all. Instant noodle once in a blue moon only, outside food yes as I'm not cooking. And sometimes I took spicy food also, there's no special reaction from my baby so I suppost she's fine with it :)

happy for you yivoon, that 1 months really drive us crazy.

Like eva, i also do not cook, i cater food, so mostly i'll eat rice and that dishes. Until now i still jaga what i eat. I'm not taking cabbage cus it's believe to create gas and will make our baby's stomach upset. For chili, i'll take a bit only, cus i read that chili might cause rashes.

Coffee, i got a story for this. One day i drank a cup of it, at that night my baby fussed until very late, she couldn't fall asleep although i could see she was very sleepy already. I don't know whether it is because the coffee that i drank early on or only a plain fuss. From that day onwards, i dare not drink coffee anymore. I love coffee very much :( I still take instant noodle once in the blue moon..

Congrats yivoon.

About food - I still eat instant noodle like once a month. I dun drink coffee, tea, alcoholic drinks and beer and don't smoke lor. But still go for fast food like KFC, McD, etc fortnightly.

About cold drinks causing wind/colic in baby... Honestly, I don't believe this. Unless there is scientific reasoning behind it. If anyone know the reason behind this, kindly share yea...

I drink & eat anything excluding alcohol & excessive caffeine. I drank water filled with chunks of ice cubes once I got back from the hospital :smile:

Coughs are caused by throat irritation or colds, not when mummies drink ice water.

For coffee/coke, I limited it initially because my baby was really active and I didn't want to make it worse but after a while, I started drinking it, usually just maybe 1 cup every few days. From what I read online, the same limit about coffee when you were pregnant applies during breastfeeding. If I remember correctly, the max limit is 3 cups a day.

Still avoiding alcohol but think if I'm faced with a really yummy slice of tiramisu and if it's after breastfeeding, I might not be able to pass up on it!

I drank and ate just about anything and everything I liked minus coffee and tea - don't drink the stuff anyway. Drank cold water, ate cold fruits, you name it, I probably did it. In the first two months I ate out most of the time and ended up putting on 5 kg (I lost 10 during my confinement month) so I decided to cook instead of eating out. It was cheaper as well.

I drink everything except coffee/soft drink/alcoholic drinks (not a fan). Food wise, I was cautious with seafood & nuts in the beginning due to family history of allergy. But I do try those 2 after baby pass 6 months & monitor. After baby "pass" the test, semua I gasap :D. I do drink cold drinks occasionally, no issue there too. Fast food/instant noodles/junk food wise, once a blue moon la.

cutey,

Keep trying, don't give up! Please take note of the following things too :-

1) Temperature of EBM. Could it be your MIL/hubby made the milk too hot for your baby's liking? Ask them to try different temperature. Do remind them normally your milk is body temperature!

2) Try walking/rocking/swaying side to side. I know it might sound like a bad idea (create a bad habit) BUT your goal now is to get him on the bottle. Once he starts sucking, stop doing that gradually & sit down.

3) Sleep with a hanky & use that hanky to wrap on the bottle so baby can smell "you".

4) Try different feeding positions.

5) Don't push teat inside his mouth but instead lay it near baby's mouth & let baby take it in himself or tickle his mouth (macam when you latch baby on).

Please remember to monitor his poop & pee. Good luck!

After reading all of ur reply here, I felt so much better. At least now i know it's not always 'MY breast milk' that are causing problems.

I felt some engorgement for the first time today after i went out shopping without my pump and did not pump for 6 hours. I jokingly told hubby at least now I understand what does engorgement felt like!

happy for you yivoon, that 1 months really drive us crazy.

Like eva, i also do not cook, i cater food, so mostly i'll eat rice and that dishes. Until now i still jaga what i eat. I'm not taking cabbage cus it's believe to create gas and will make our baby's stomach upset. For chili, i'll take a bit only, cus i read that chili might cause rashes.

Coffee, i got a story for this. One day i drank a cup of it, at that night my baby fussed until very late, she couldn't fall asleep although i could see she was very sleepy already. I don't know whether it is because the coffee that i drank early on or only a plain fuss. From that day onwards, i dare not drink coffee anymore. I love coffee very much :( I still take instant noodle once in the blue moon..

Iyven,

I still remember the Midwife was telling us in the ante-natal class, breastfeeding mummies are suppost to avaoid eating cabbage, because it can reduce the milk supply. So, I'm very concern on the food intake which some people will mixed it in the mee/meehoon goreng, but if u are not particular, then never mind la, beacuse u can always take out the cabage and just eat the mee/meehoon. However, try not to eat coleslaw because it's cabbages!

janicelly, thanks for all your advices, today is getting better, my boy willing to drink every 4 hours although still fussy when getting him to drink....i think he just prefer BF, so regardless what bottle we use or what is the content inside the bottle, he starts crying once he see the bottle...maybe after these few days he slowly realized he has to drink from bottle when his mummy is not around. finally i can smile and phew... :)

congrats yivoon, finally back to normal life... for me i am quite relax during my confinement, i can rest more and eat well, but right after confinement i start to feel the stress for being a full-time mother although just for 3 months, i didn't get enough sleep and having irregular meal time bcos taking care of my boy alone at home. Now even more tired after back to work. But all this worth while whenever i see the little one smile to me.

ops, didn't know cannot eat cabbage...I try to avoid whatever serve cold coz i try few times and my boy have loose bowel though he didn't feel stomach upset, i ate sashimi and the same thing happen so since then i avoid all cold food. No coffee/alcohol, no junk food & fast food also, other than that i eat as usual.

eva,

Yeah, i'll avoid food with cabbage. I don't know if it will decrease milk supply too. Sometimes when it's fried with egg i'll take it but monst of the time will avoid it. Hehe..

My gynae advise me if possible, try not to let bb use any bottle for first month. He said if used bottle, bb will prefer bottle and will not like mama breast milk. He also say use spoon to feed bb if want drink water.

Hi,

I have been using bottles for night feed since the start - I bought the First Years brand which is supposed to most closely mimic the breast and baby needs to do the same work to extract milk.....and so far, touch wood, Baby Boy has been able to switch back and forth alright.

My gynae advise me if possible, try not to let bb use any bottle for first month. He said if used bottle, bb will prefer bottle and will not like mama breast milk. He also say use spoon to feed bb if want drink water.

Hi,

I have been using bottles for night feed since the start - I bought the First Years brand which is supposed to most closely mimic the breast and baby needs to do the same work to extract milk.....and so far, touch wood, Baby Boy has been able to switch back and forth alright.

AHA I see that janicelly has already recommended the same brand - Breastflow by First Years - I didn't know it was being sold at Carrefour!!!!! And hmmm....I didn't try the bottle myself so don't know that there is alot of wind with the inner blue teat.

Also - Janicelly - congrats on 3 YEARS!!!!! Oh my goodness!!! and thanks for your advice too - I just heard today that the night wake ups to express get less and less as time goes on so maybe it isn't so bad huh! :biggrin:

My baby had the rashes all over his cheek & it got really bad because he'd sleep on only 1 side of his face pressed to the mattress. My paed advised us to clean his face after each feed. I kept a thermos of warm water & a face towel next to my bed and will damp the towel to clean his face.

For breast pads, a lot of my friends and I are using Avent washables, around RM60 for 3 sets but I don't really like it as it's quite thick and doesn't absorb much (I once soaked through a thin tee at work because I delayed my pumping by an hour). Pigeon disposables are really good as it's thin and can absorb a lot, I use these when I know I might delay my pumping. They also stay stuck to your bra as it's easier for me to nurse in public without worrying about the pads dropping out.

Breast shells I'm not sure but I think I saw Medela ones before.

Hi Ashandrea and YiVoon, yeah I saw the medela breast shells - just wondering if I should buy them - they're selling at RM60 I think - and that will depend on how long I plan to breastfeed. Haven't really decided yet....maybe til 3 months when I go back to work.....

And Pigeon breast pads huh! Ok - will check those out - sold everywhere right? Like Jusco or the hypermarkets? Actually I think the Bebe ones do absorb well and I don't feel any wet backflow from them - was just upset that the stickers didn't seem to work very well at all.

Btw, we only need to change the breast pads when they're really damp right? If just a little bit, we can still continue to use them? We can use the same pair for 1 whole day?

Haven't eaten any cabbage till now. But I went out shopping today and drank some ice cold milk. Twice. I will monitor her reaction and see how. If nothing goes wrong, the next thing I am going to 'introduce' is caffeine. Lol. Moderately of course.

Another question is how does let down feels like? I don't think I have felt one before.

tinkerbelle,

Don't worry about being a human pacifier, they will stop doing that gradually. Just be patient lor (but of course if you can start "controlling" in the beginning good also la).

i tried to wean the kid again last night. naturally he cried a few times, so i just told him, no more milk, mommy needs to sleep, you go back to your pillow, stuff like that. after almost a dozen attempt (of crying), he turned around and faced the dad and poked the dad and gave out the same cry. then daddy gave him a hug and they both slept together on the father's pillow. 5 minutes later, he decided that he still wants what he wants, and he gave out this cry like a wolf.

that was when i gave in.

i think all kids got their own creative ways of getting what they want. things that melt your (cold) heart.

:lol:

Oh tinkerbell...how i know what you're going through. My daughter is exactly like that.. I'm 3 mths preggers so i'm in the midst of trying to wean her off slowly then tandem feed again once i deliver, that is if she wants. but my daughter just wont stop. i get so tired sometimes but i dont want her to wake the whole house up in the middle of the night so i just give in, like u....

Oh it has been some time since I read this thread... :smile:.. Din realise that it has some tandem breastfeed info sharing too...

I actually created another topic on tandem breastfeed and Mabel told me that I should discuss it here. So i'm going to re-post my entry here:

I have been breastfeeding my daughter up till now, she's now 11 months old. And she's still breastfeeding. She still wakes up at 11+pm & 3am to suckle (I don't know if it's suckling for comfort or she's really hungry). I tried to pat her to sleep and the war can go on for 30 minutes. But if I let her suckle, she'll suckle for 5 - 10 minutes, then go back to sleep. It's quick & quiet. So quiet that sometimes my hubby doesn't even realise that she actually wakes up to drink.

This morning when i was talking to my hubby, suddenly the topic of having a 2nd one comes up. Yes, it might be a bit fast to think about having 2nd baby but I thought if we can do it, then in another 2-3 yrs time, we'll be able to relax while watching our kids grow (yes, i know by then there will be other worries, but I meant the baby taking care part :P). However, my hubby commented that since I'm breastfeeding until now, I should at least let my body rest for 1 year before trying to conceive again. By that, he means stop breastfeeding, and rest for a year. The problem now is, I don't know when I'm going to stop breastfeeding as I'm still having enough supply for my girl, and i think if i don't stop pumping, I'll still be able to go on for at least another 6 months. Unless I work on reducing pumping to naturally reduce the supply.

I have read about tandem breastfeeding, and I have asked around before this. Some said it's risky, but some said it's not a problem. Any mummies here still breastfeed while pregnant? Can share your experience?

bearbear,

tandem bf'ing.... yea, i'm about to start this topic too... i will be conceiving again when Gina turns 1 YO.... (3 more months to go)

our initial plan (b4 she was born) was to wean her off once she's 1yo... but looking at the way she's doing now, i don't think it'll be an easy task....

tinkerbelle,

Don't worry about being a human pacifier, they will stop doing that gradually. Just be patient lor (but of course if you can start "controlling" in the beginning good also la).

i tried to wean the kid again last night. naturally he cried a few times, so i just told him, no more milk, mommy needs to sleep, you go back to your pillow, stuff like that. after almost a dozen attempt (of crying), he turned around and faced the dad and poked the dad and gave out the same cry. then daddy gave him a hug and they both slept together on the father's pillow. 5 minutes later, he decided that he still wants what he wants, and he gave out this cry like a wolf.

that was when i gave in.

i think all kids got their own creative ways of getting what they want. things that melt your (cold) heart.

tinkerbelle, i am going through the same headache with you right now. my gal is also treating me as a human pacifier. she will wake up almost every 2 hours, sometimes even 1 hour just to latch on. if i tell her to go to sleep or pat her to sleep, she will cry till the roof collapse and wake up everyone in the household. so tired everyday, since i gave birth there's no sleeping through the night anymore.

HELP!! ANYBODY CAN HELP ME? haha.. looking at the situation now, i doubt she will wean herself off anytime now. she sooo sooo loves the boobs.

tinkerbelle,

that was when i gave in.

tinkerbelle, i am going through the same headache with you right now. my gal is also treating me as a human pacifier. she will wake up almost every 2 hours, sometimes even 1 hour just to latch on. if i tell her to go to sleep or pat her to sleep, she will cry till the roof collapse and wake up everyone in the household. so tired everyday, since i gave birth there's no sleeping through the night anymore.

HELP!! ANYBODY CAN HELP ME? haha.. looking at the situation now, i doubt she will wean herself off anytime now. she sooo sooo loves the boobs.

Hi,

Currently I am 35 weeks pregnant. I wean my gal off when I was 8 weeks pregnant. What I did was I slept in a separate room from my gal while my husband takes care of her at night. My husband offered her a bottle of formula before she slept. Initially she refused it but slowly she gave in. After a week, she was completely weaned off from my breast. :)

When she was still breastfeeding she woke up 2 or 3x a night looking for my breast. Ever since she was weaned from my breast, she slept through the night. :)