SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

yes, my period was came last month after 7 months of BF, i know it will coz the supply drop but how come the supply wont increase after that? i have oat and fenugeek drink alternately everyday, it just boost up extra 1oz after i start taking taking from 4oz to 5oz. my supply is very low all the while, now even worst... i hope can BF another 4 months, till my boy is 1yo.... :sad:

Is your period coming? Or are you sick/tired at the moment? I find that when I'm really tired or getting sick, my supply drops but once I get enough rest, it goes up again.

Have you tried stuff like eating oats/taking fenugreek to boost your supply? You might also want to try milkmaid tea?

dear mummies,

my boy refuse my boobs when he is 6 mo and recently my supply drop till very low and almost dry up. since last 2 weeks, i can only manage to pump 3oz every 4 hours, then gradually drop to 2 oz every 4 hours, 2 days ago i only manage to get 0.5oz. Is that possible to re-lactate again? how can i increase my supply again?

Sorry typo my earlier post. I didn't mean oz, I meant ml. I used to be able to pump out max 1 oz per session but since I drank all sorts of bm increasing soups, take fenugreek n frequent feeding, now I am able to feed my girl bm fully n get 4 oz per pumping session after I feed her.

yes, my period was came last month after 7 months of BF, i know it will coz the supply drop but how come the supply wont increase after that? i have oat and fenugeek drink alternately everyday, it just boost up extra 1oz after i start taking taking from 4oz to 5oz. my supply is very low all the while, now even worst... i hope can BF another 4 months, till my boy is 1yo.... :sad:

Is your period coming? Or are you sick/tired at the moment? I find that when I'm really tired or getting sick, my supply drops but once I get enough rest, it goes up again.

Have you tried stuff like eating oats/taking fenugreek to boost your supply? You might also want to try milkmaid tea?

dear mummies,

my boy refuse my boobs when he is 6 mo and recently my supply drop till very low and almost dry up. since last 2 weeks, i can only manage to pump 3oz every 4 hours, then gradually drop to 2 oz every 4 hours, 2 days ago i only manage to get 0.5oz. Is that possible to re-lactate again? how can i increase my supply again?

I was ill few weeks and it affected my supply tremendously due to insufficient fluid n food intake + exhaustion. It's been 3 weeks and I'm still 1-2oz short compared to my girl's consumption. I think the reduction takes quite a while to go back to normal, and I'm trying to not be too pressured about it, so kept telling myself, I don't need a lot a lot, I just need enough :cool: gambate ya

i know i should relax but just can't help pressure myself....my smaller breast can only express few drops after pumping for 15 min just now, oh gosh...

Qiqi81 - I know what you mean! It's awful each time there's a bug going around the office and all the work stress doesn't help. Though at times like this, I feel so happy that I'm breastfeeding so at least there's some immunity for our babies against those nasty bugs

Cutey - Perhaps you can try relaxing techniques like video-ing your baby at times when she's happy, laughing, etc. Then when you're pumping milk, just forget about pumping out milk, look at the videos. Might be able to help you relax, think about your baby rather than focus on pumping

hi all bf mom.. I would like to ask how u guys stop bf ur bb..?? I heared lots of ppl said its hard to stop bf if ur bb don't want pacifier... my colleague told me latch on till 6 mths then after that express out and feed her thru bottles if not hard to stop bf as she cant stop latch her child and she is 18 mths already...

recently I found out that my gal had addited to my breast.. she wanted to suck my breast to sleep.. if I give her pacifier she will cry and push it away... I don't want her to addited to my breast.. I only want her suck when she is hungry not treated my breast as pacifier... any way to train my gal..??

hi all bf mom.. I would like to ask how u guys stop bf ur bb..?? I heared lots of ppl said its hard to stop bf if ur bb don't want pacifier... my colleague told me latch on till 6 mths then after that express out and feed her thru bottles if not hard to stop bf as she cant stop latch her child and she is 18 mths already...

recently I found out that my gal had addited to my breast.. she wanted to suck my breast to sleep.. if I give her pacifier she will cry and push it away... I don't want her to addited to my breast.. I only want her suck when she is hungry not treated my breast as pacifier... any way to train my gal..??

im in the process of weaning, if im successful, i'll share the tips with you. so far, it looks like it's a tough journey ahead.

i think it's all in my head, if i really want to, i can. just that i will miss having my kid needing me. hence the push and pull factor.

:lol:

crasygal, it starts from birth - not using your boobs as a pacifier. I stopped BFing coz Eva self-wean at around 10-11 mths (I pumped exclusively after that); some people I know, like Janice sometimes encounter "nen nen" requests from her 3 yo. I don't suggest refusing her requests now as it may trigger her to reject your boobs completely. Just try to bear with it loh.

Mei,

Im not gona reject her request now as she still young.. I just want to know how to wean off when she depends on my breast seriously.. from birth I've latch her when ever she want... she will suck till she sleep... Ive no choice to let her latch during that period of time coz Ive no bm... my milk come when she is 5 days old... before she start suck her hands she will take only pacifier to sleep... once she figure it out her hands she don't want pacifier and she will fuss and cry for sleep and request my breast.. :sad: think now I have to be hard hearted not to let her suck on my breast when she fuss for sleep...

I have another issue too.. my milk supply very slow... can't catch up with her hunger... some times she will fuss for milk every hr but when she suck not more than 10mins she will fall into sleep.. I also don't know how and don't know is she hungry or sleepy as she didn't have sleepy sign.. :sad: what a failure of me.. till now still can't catch what my gal really want... :sad:

In order to know if baby is hungry, you need to see the strength of the suction - give her your pinkie and see if she takes it. If she's hungry, she'll suck on it like there is no tomorrow. If it's for comfort, it's gentler and shallow or inconsistent.

My milk too came in around 4.5 days - before that, Eva was on colostrum which was sufficient. The midwife warned me about allowing her to suckle for comfort so I do the pinkie test and run through a list whenever she fusses. I don't whip out my boobs as the first thing. Most of the time, she fusses because she wants to sleep but can't. So we'd bundle her in the stroller or car seat for a ride or walk and she'd fall asleep. Babywearing later helped with the fussiness and it became easier to read her signs.

mei,

on the 5 days I only have colostrum.. did Eva take pacifier??

my gal same she fusses because she want to sleep but can't... she will rub her eyes.. knock her head (she use her hand to knock her head).. suck her hands and cry.. if she see me during that time she will request my breast I did try to walk away or ignore her request but she continue fuss for half hr some times longer... we see her can't sleep we feel bad and soft hearted and let her suck on my breast... first few suck she suck till there is no tomorrow after that she will soften it and fall into sleep.. every time are same.. hai

I keep telling people I will stop when baby's 1 year old, how troublesome it is to express milk in the office, how I miss wearing 1 piece dresses ... like you, I secretly think I can't stop direct feeding. My baby's 9 months old and I go "awwww, he looks so cute" each time he direct feeds. My hubby keeps saying we MUST stop direct feeding when he's 1 yr old to stop the whole hassle of the weaning process and I keep going "must we, he looks soooo cute" :lol:

im in the process of weaning, if im successful, i'll share the tips with you. so far, it looks like it's a tough journey ahead.

i think it's all in my head, if i really want to, i can. just that i will miss having my kid needing me. hence the push and pull factor.

i know what you mean, especially the kind of gaze your kid gives you while he nurses right???

now looking back at the "mistake" i made, i'll recommend future breastfeeding moms to wean the kid off the breast by or starting from the 9th month and to pump and offer the breastmilk via bottle or sippy.

Arrrghh ... don't say that to me, I'm still feeding direct, so convenient esp when going out & during nights.

My cut off plan is when he's a year old and I'm already not really looking forward to that. It's so vain to say I miss wearing 1 piece dresses & so lazy to pump during office hours right? I also miss wearing non nursing bras & will be trying on my old underwires soon.

I know the proper schedule is "eat, play, sleep" to avoid feeding to sleep ... but most of the time, it's so easy to use feeding to lull them to sleep :lol:

my baby going to be 1 next months... She still wake up few times to feed at night :( It's so easy to feed directly. To wean the day feed, i think it won't be that difficult compare to the mid night feed. Haih... I still don't know how long she going to give up her mid night feed.

mei,

on the 5 days I only have colostrum.. did Eva take pacifier??

my gal same she fusses because she want to sleep but can't... she will rub her eyes.. knock her head (she use her hand to knock her head).. suck her hands and cry.. if she see me during that time she will request my breast I did try to walk away or ignore her request but she continue fuss for half hr some times longer... we see her can't sleep we feel bad and soft hearted and let her suck on my breast... first few suck she suck till there is no tomorrow after that she will soften it and fall into sleep.. every time are same.. hai

Nope, I never gave her the pacifier coz scared of nipple confusion and based on the advice of the midwife. We use other tactics to get her to sleep instead of just the boob or dummy. We use other tactics loh.

I keep telling people I will stop when baby's 1 year old, how troublesome it is to express milk in the office, how I miss wearing 1 piece dresses ... like you, I secretly think I can't stop direct feeding. My baby's 9 months old and I go "awwww, he looks so cute" each time he direct feeds. My hubby keeps saying we MUST stop direct feeding when he's 1 yr old to stop the whole hassle of the weaning process and I keep going "must we, he looks soooo cute" :lol:

last night was my first night seriously weaning the kid off me. so far, it has been quite successful, with scheduled meltdown moments. though his cry was so pitiful, yet i dont feel much sadness coz i felt that i've done great by coming this far, despite all odds. it is for the better for both of us. so i calmly soothe him back, the father also comforted his lil precious a lot because the dad was feeling like as though his heart got stabbed instead. haha.

anyway, dont laugh, but i resorted to the classic cina way of weaning. u can guess it!

my take about weaning is that, do it either to be led by the baby or when you feel you really wanna say goodbye to the midnite feeds or the direct latch on. never give in to the pressure from anyone else. because when that day comes that your kid no longer "needs" you, you may have the guilt or regret if the decision was made just coz you listened to someone else, and not your kid or yourself.

i may feel a tiny tinge of sadness now that im typing this, but no guilt or regret or to entertain the what-ifs thoughts.

so i went all out and cooked up a feast this morning before i left for work. and got myself a pretty, nice sundress at lunch.

to remember this day, today.

Beautifully written post Tinkerbelle :wub:

Thank you so much for sharing this with us

If & when I (or my lil boss) decide to wean, I'll remember your words about how we made the choice based on us, and not what others think

:wub: Agree with Ash, it's a touching post and really well said too

Since my target is 1 year old, I try not to think about it yet. But it did came up in my conversation with hubby, and his take was, I don't think you sampai hati to wean her off as soon as she hits 1, which I think is true. So am hoping for an early child led weaning

Tinkerbelle, what is the classic cina method? give water? pacifier? I'm not keen for crying it out method, so I need to be really convinced that it's gonna be the right thing to do for both of us

i applied minyak cap kapak. :tongue:

phew - almost gave in last night. his cry was so pitiful, although it's kinda short burst now. looking good.

all i can say is that, my determination to last this long partly contributed to the fact that i didnt get to experience natural birth when the kid was born and coupled with his allergy, hence it was the paed's advice that it's only best that i combat the allergy with breastmilk. i cant thank her enough for making me not quitting when he turned 1.

really breast milk is the best! i see from the way my kid dealt with his fever, where he'll bounce back to health within 4hrs, max a day after. no contest to the well-documented benefits of extended breastfeeding, that it is the best food for a newborn up till 2yo.

i strongly urge mothers to mentally prepare themselves and read as much as possible, to be well informed about the techniques of breastfeeding, so as to be able to give their child/ren the best.

if it's not for this forum and the paed, dr koe, i wouldnt have come this far. and also all my other supportive breastfeeding friends.

big hug to all for helping me to reaching my destination and enjoying every bit of the journey.

May I know where can we buy fenugreek and milkmaid tea?

check out fabulousmom.com.

tinkerbelle,

during last time, did your kid wake up a few times in the middle of the night to latch on? if he did, after you wean him the last two days, did he wake up also? and what did you do?

my gal will be turning 2 in another mth time. and i am thinking of calling it quits too. but am really scared of the wailing, and refusal to sleep. she is taking me as her human pacifier now. a

and yes, cannot agreed no more abt the benefits of BF. same as your kid, when dealing with sickness, they bounce back to health really fast. and *touchwood*, i think my kids last time fever or cough is sometimes in March. i am now brain washing each and ever friend of mine who is going to be a mummy abt the benefits of BF.

congrats and a big hug to you and me and all other breastfeeding moms out there!!

You can buy fenugreek at GNC.

I would like to ask mummies here, how do you all overcome milk rash and how often does your baby get it?

You can buy fenugreek at GNC.

I would like to ask mummies here, how do you all overcome milk rash and how often does your baby get it?

'mermyz, thanks a lot, but may I know what is GNC?

GNC's a popular chain selling fitness/health supplements.

If you want a cheaper form of fenugreek, can just get it from the spice section at any market/supermarket, pour out maybe a tablespoon, soak in a mug of hot water & drink - be warned, some people don't like the strong taste of it.

When you say milk rash, do you mean the rash around baby's face from being in contact with our milk?

When my baby was younger, I kept a thermos of warm water & a face cloth next to my bed. After each feed, I'd damp the cloth with warm water & clean my baby's face.