SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

You can buy fenugreek at GNC.

I would like to ask mummies here, how do you all overcome milk rash and how often does your baby get it?

'mermyz, thanks a lot, but may I know what is GNC?

you may go here to look for more info.. :wub:

http://www.gncmal.com.my/

Ashandra: yep. Do babies get it very easily?

I thought my girl has milk rashes but turns out its aczema, got quite bad so I took her to the doc today. :(

Yes, milk rash common, need to clean baby's face with a damp cloth after feeding.

For eczema, maybe sure you're using a mild soap, something like cetaphil, ego, etc. You might also need to change washing detergent to a milder one

I'm only using warm water to bathe her n nappikleen for her diapers n clothes. Do you know if its too strong n what other brands are milder?

I'm currently using Pureen HAD because I wash his cloth nappies, clothes & everything else in the same machine. It's supposed to be more gentle.

My friend has eczema and is using Cosway's Eco wash as her doctor recommended it to her.

my kid has been successfully weaned off 2 weeks ago.

while i was in the house and he screamed his lungs off, the father took over to comfort him over the course of 4-5 nights, when the kid woke up every 3hrs interval, looking for his "pacifier". my man, being the man he is and will always be, sought the help from tivo and butterscotch bread to comfort the kid.

now the kid has a tv addiction prior to going to bed (it used to be that he will also wake up at 4ish and asked for tivo and bread during the initial week of weaning, but he's doing better now and done with the tv soothing him back to sleep - so now 1 down, 1 to go).

the question is, my kid eats every 2hrs. his last solid meal, dinner + soup, is at 630pm. i usually provide some sort of snack ie. a toddler-fist-sized sweet potato or some edamames to the daycare to offer to him at 730pm, just before i come to pick him up. last time prior to weaning, he'll drain me off completely once we get home. now, since he's been weaned off, he'll ask for bread. okay i give him 1 slice. afterall he had something at 630pm AND 730pm. then after that he'll ask for another slice. initially i give him because i was trying to use the bread as my boob/breastmilk replacement. but it has been 2 weeks and he keeps asking for bread all the time ie. 730pm 1030pm 430am.

could it be that he's addicted to the bread (okay, everyone knows the gardenia butterscotch is quite tasty, not the best, but the kid is crazy over it)? it cant be that he's hungry right, after all the food that went down his bottomless pit ????????

i dont mind him eating but not like 7-8 pieces of gardenia from 730pm - 10pm? yea he sleeps later now that he went through weaning, due to the introduction and tivo addiction, that's another battle for me now to revise his sleeping pattern back to normal.

how can i make him sleep better as i dont believe my kid is waking up due to hunger. he cant be hungry. he eats so much that i look like popeye now, from all the carrying and lifting etc.

It sounds like he's eating for comfort and out of habit rather than hunger. From the time they hit 12 mths, I was advised by a paed nutritionist, to fix a schedule for eating habits and stick to it, eg breakfast, lunch and dinner with one to two snacks in between, and if kiddo doesn't ask for it, then no need to give. Otherwise, she told me that she has seen kids eat all day long and it can lead to bad eating habits as they grow out of toddlerhood and into early child to early teen years.

It sounds like he's eating for comfort and out of habit rather than hunger. From the time they hit 12 mths, I was advised by a paed nutritionist, to fix a schedule for eating habits and stick to it, eg breakfast, lunch and dinner with one to two snacks in between, and if kiddo doesn't ask for it, then no need to give. Otherwise, she told me that she has seen kids eat all day long and it can lead to bad eating habits as they grow out of toddlerhood and into early child to early teen years.

agree. he has always got a fixed eating and snacking schedule with healthy alternatives all the time.

anyway, yesterday evening, went to get a tin of soy milk and fed it to him in small quantity at 9ish, after 2 slices of bread and the lil monsta dozed off to lala-land till this morning 8ish. 10hrs of uninterrupted sleep!!! that's the first!!!

i think he seeked comfort in knowing he had "milk" and got his cravings satisfied. fingers crossed!

mermyz ,ashandrea & vv_xoxo , thanks a lot. But will those supplement to boost our BM has side effect? is it safe to use?

Hi bf mummies,

I'm so happy to find a local forum on bf! When I had my first baby in 2009, I was relying solely on the support of a similar forum based in US and frequently couldn't find needed support there (eg local LC, that you can get fanugreek in Giant! etc etc). Let me introduce myself briefly before I proceed..

I EP'ed my son for 13.5 months after failing to get him to latch directly. After going through all the heartaches, tears, struggles and emotional meltdowns, I'm determined not to repeat the journey. I want to bf directly if possible (no offense to those who choose to EP, it's only me.. and salute to mummies who EP! It's very taxing!).

I'm 33 weeks+ preganant with my second child now and reading up all I can about labour and breastfeeding. I'm also looking for all support that I may need pre and post natal. As I'm living in Kuching, I don't seem to be able to find much help here. No breastfeeding class, no LC, no bf support group, no antenatal class (except those very basic ones conducted by the hospitals), no many birth options as well. Sigh. Are there any mummies on this forum who can introduce a LC to me in Kuching?

P/S: Been reading the older posts, at pg 63 now.. there are so much useful info here! :) Thanks!!

Is it possible to get period 6 weeks post delivery while breastfeeding exclusively? I was bleeding a little 2 days back, stopped yesterday and started again this morning, along with the cramps.

my baby is now 2mo++ and i direct latch him every nite. nowadays he starts to sleep thru the nite or at least 4-5hrs straight. but the problem is my breasts will feel very full every 2 hrs, till sometimes my shirt will get all wet with the milk dripping out. so i have no choice to pump out every 2hrs. how to avoid this? how to make my breast follow bb feeding pattern?

mermyz,

I think is possible lo... My mom who fully breastfed me get her AV 40days after the bleeding stopped.

Me, i still don't get my period after almost 1 year of exclusively breastfed my baby. I think it will come back when i replace my baby meal to solid soon.

Sadly, after my visit to gynae, he told me also bcos of the breastfeeding, there is a posssibility of spotting on and off due to the stagnant hormone level. He said my body will keep thinking its time for menstruation but bcos there is nothing to bleed out, there will be very little blood but spotting will last as long as I'm breastfeeding.

Haihz, thought can save $ on pads.

Agyy, as far as I know, no side effect but ur sweat n pee may smell like maple syrup. You need to take 6 pills a day to make a diff in ur milk production. I stopped after 2 bottles as I find that I have oversupply now. If I pump while nursing my baby on 1 side, in 10 mins I can get about 4 to 5 oz. My baby also chokes sometimes during letdown.

If u r worried, y don't u try other more natural methods 1st like fish n papaya soup, or oatmeal? I very kiasu so I did all possible methods at 1 go.

Agyy, as far as I know, no side effect but ur sweat n pee may smell like maple syrup. You need to take 6 pills a day to make a diff in ur milk production. I stopped after 2 bottles as I find that I have oversupply now. If I pump while nursing my baby on 1 side, in 10 mins I can get about 4 to 5 oz. My baby also chokes sometimes during letdown.

If u r worried, y don't u try other more natural methods 1st like fish n papaya soup, or oatmeal? I very kiasu so I did all possible methods at 1 go.

Mermyz, thanks a lot!! I've bought the fenugreek from GNC on last thurs!! I eat 3 pills x 3 times after meal, but still not yet have effect leh!! So anxious now, I'm start working 2 weeks more and now I only can store 1 week supply only :( My target is store at least 3 mths supply bcos worry my milk supply will drop after start working!! :(

Ya I'm also getting worried in case don't have enough supply since I never try pumping in office n during daytime without baby's suckling to help with letdown. I start work in 2 days time. I will get mil to bottle feed baby from 8am to 7pm tomorrow while I pump during daytime to see how much is baby's intake n how much I can pump during daytime. Worse case scenario I will pump at night too cos that's when I can get the most. Baby is also refusing the bottle, only drinks 40ml at a time n rather sleep while waiting for mummy to bf her. :(

I miss the thread for so long the time :tongue: & my gal will turn 1 this month I looked back the journey I cant believe I can do so far & I will I could continue as long as I can :biggrin:

I am BF my gal by EBM coz she refuse to latch on so all this while so everytime when I pump at office those coliq will ask u breastfeed ah? How long already? I said 1 year... some of the ppl will comment said huh... need so long meh??? & like very surprise i can do this for the past 1 year :blink: but in fact I know many mummies here are BF even longer....

Initially my husband also think I can last for 6 mths only & now he silent abt it coz he can see the different btw BF baby & FM baby (coz her sister's son abt the same age with my daughter & is on FM)

So I really wishes I can BF as long as I can but I wonder can I BF & pregnant at the same time? I was planning to get a 2nd kid but I so reluctant to stop BF my gal... can I???

** I had my menses all this while even I fully BF, maybe I do not latch on???

wsyrinrin, congrats! :lol: I'm nearly there myself and may want to start weaning after that! Need to figure out headache of training him to cut out night feeding before I wean.

I've friends that feed direct but still have their period so it has nothing to do with feeding EBM or latching on direct.

I've a friend that is still breastfeeding her toddler & pregnant at the same time. You might want to check with your gyanae if it's ok as breastfeeding might make your uterus contract but there're mummies that manage to breastfeed & be pregnant at the same time.

Hi Mermyz,

I just bought from GNC 2 bottles of fenugreek. It states there take 1 - 2 pills daily. So do i take that or take 6 pills a day?

Anyone who took fenugreek before can advice?

Thanks

Apparently the 1-2 pills is only for normal ppl. Us breastfeeding mums will need to take 6 pills or more to increase our milk production. I'm taking 6 a day. What about other mummies?

Apparently the 1-2 pills is only for normal ppl. Us breastfeeding mums will need to take 6 pills or more to increase our milk production. I'm taking 6 a day. What about other mummies?

Hi Mermyz, how long do we need to take it for? I bought 2 bottles (2nd at 50% discount hehe)...hopefully milk supply will increase....am gonna start taking 6 today...

Also i would like to ask all moms here about breast pump. I currently have 2 breast pump, Spectra 3 and Medela manual pump. The reason why i bought the manual pump is because the Spectra was causing me some pain and i find that it doesn't really pump out alot. I yield better result with the manual pump tho my milk supply is still low. The most i can pump out from 2 breast is 2 oz plus...

My question is how long do we have to pump for each breast? Do we continue pumping and wait for another let down after the breast stop dripping or do we stop? It seems like i get a let down in about 5 mins then my breast stop leaking. but i can still feel it is slightly hard...am i pumping wrongly?

i read somewhere that we need to pump at least 15minutes per breast.

Yup when the milk stop dripping, continue to pump, there will be another let down. Last time i would pump till my breast soft and i would press press press... Hehe. For more info, check ot kellymom.com

how about storage of breast milk. Let's say i pump out 2oz today and i store at fridge. Later i pump out another 2 Oz. Can i mix together and store at freezer? How long can i store at fridge before storing at freezer or do i have to store direct to freezer if i want to keep stock?