SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

I have serious gastrick too, my dr did not ask me to stop breastfeed when Im under gastrick medication. my dr ask me to have proper meal and eat in time, but my gynea ask me to stop breastfeed if can my PND (post-natal depression) become serious now and Im under medication (hai always under medication.. :sad: ) not only my gyne ask me to stop, the psychologist also ask me to stop beastfeed the main reason is the PND's medication.. but I have strong view to continue to bf my daugther (both dr said I can continue bf 8 hrs after the medication).. hope that I can over come the PND and continue to bf my daugther longer.. :smile:

hi all..

Since last evening, my right breast n nipple was really painful (only half of the right breast). It wasnt engorged. It was soft but very very painful, esp whenbaby latch on, even when baby latches on the left, it's extremely painful when the milk comes in.

At night, i begin to have bodyaches n morning today, i have slight fever.

Anyone faced this before? I wonder if it's infection, like thrush..

Pls share..thanks!

Oh, FYI, the gold standard for WHO when it comes to BFing is over a year - I think it's at least two years (can't remember).

yes, i can confirm that it is 2 years, as recommended by WHO. the biological reason is that the breastmilk can still produce milk and the ration of fat (during extended breastfeeding, which means, anytime after 12mth period) in the breastmilk elevates in line with the need of a growing toddler. remember - kids need fat during the first 2 years.

GO FOR GOLD!

any doubt about extended breastfeeding, just refer to le leche leagues website. given a choice to be pregnant again, i wont blink an eye about breastfeeding my kid beyond 1.

of course any toddlers beyond 1 should also be introduced to a wide variety of food, and watch out for allergies, no peanuts before 3, nuts before 2. other than that, the kid is encourage to try everything possible.

hi all beautiful mommy, Im into my 2nd month of confinement. I hv visited Dr Koe before and she advised I shall pump according her 7min method. Meaning, pump 7min on left breast then 7min on the right breast. Stop for 1min massage on the left breast then another 1min on the right breast. Continue to pump 7min on the left and 7min on the right breast. So total is 30min pumping while at work.

However, I hv another doubt. When Ikeep pumping for 7min, how much ounce shall I expect to get at the end of the pumping? Right now when i pump at home, i pump till my feeding bottle is full with 4oz then i stopped. Sometimes i couldnt get as much as 4oz becoz BB has sucked much of it, so i only able to pump about 2oz+. By the way, i will be going to start work next month. Im wondering...pumping how much (how many ounce) is consider enough when we pump at work. Can any experience mommy share your experience on this? Great thanks.

hi all beautiful mommy, Im into my 2nd month of confinement. I hv visited Dr Koe before and she advised I shall pump according her 7min method. Meaning, pump 7min on left breast then 7min on the right breast. Stop for 1min massage on the left breast then another 1min on the right breast. Continue to pump 7min on the left and 7min on the right breast. So total is 30min pumping while at work.

However, I hv another doubt. When Ikeep pumping for 7min, how much ounce shall I expect to get at the end of the pumping? Right now when i pump at home, i pump till my feeding bottle is full with 4oz then i stopped. Sometimes i couldnt get as much as 4oz becoz BB has sucked much of it, so i only able to pump about 2oz+. By the way, i will be going to start work next month. Im wondering...pumping how much (how many ounce) is consider enough when we pump at work. Can any experience mommy share your experience on this? Great thanks.

The right oz is the oz that your baby needs :lol: Just keep pumping and don't be demoptivated with the 2 oz because your baby has just latch on, You're doing the right thing by pumping after feeding as your body will sense that you need more milk & start to produce more.

This was what I did to guess how much my baby needs. Based on what I read on forums & asking around, a newborn past 2 months usually drinks anywhere from 2 oz - 4 oz. Anything more than 4 oz at a session is a bit too much. So I prepared 4 oz in a bottle & asked hubby to feed him and see how much he drank at a session. It was around 3 oz.

Then on a trial run before I went back to work, I prepared around 12 oz of milk and a few packs of frozen milk and left my baby at MIL's place for 9 hours. After that ask MIL how much he drinks for the 9 hours while I'm away.

From there, you can agak know much your baby needs.

Errr ... for 30 mins, it depends on individual basis. Sometimes after 30 mins, I don't get anything more no matter how hard I try. Sometimes I can keep producing milk for around 45 mins. I'd say just keep pumping as long as there milk. I find that it helps to massage/squeeze your boob as you pump as I can get more milk out if I do that.

Do a trial run 1 week before u go back to work, also helps your baby to get used to the bottle and you can get used to pumping. Then you will be able to gauge how much your baby drinks and how often. Eg; my girl drinks average 3 oz every 2.5 hours, so I usually pump 3 times at work and try to get a total of 15 oz to make up 5 bottles (she usually takes only 4 bottles unless I reach home after 7pm)

do u mind sharing the massaging method?

Ashandrea, thank you so much for the sharing. I pump when i finished feeding my bb, then, to get that 2oz after that is an occasional luck bcoz sometimes pumping for 20mins still get nothing! When everyone says, te more we feed n pump, te breast will be emptied and more new milk will be produced. As for me, it wasnt so. After feeding, no milk to pump... or after pumping, no milk to feed. I do believe i hv milk, but my problem is the letting-down i guess. Let-down is slow, so milk comes slow. I think i will make a visit to Dr Koe again tonite.

Have you tried pumping WHILE you're feeding your baby? That way it's like double pump - it'll stimulate your body to produce more prolactin, etc.

To help with letdown, try seeing baby's pictures, relaxing, etc. It's good to have a quiet corner for both breastfeeding and pumping.

Wanna share with the ladies here that I gave birth on 11 September to a premature boy at 32 weeks so no latch on action for me. I've been pumping exclusively from day 1. It's my second week onto my pump and I'm hitting anywhere from 90 to 120ml per pump (eight times a day) whereas my boy is only taking in like less than 200ml per day. I started pumping about four hours after I gave birth and once every three hours to stimulate milk production to come in. It took a while - seriously. It was very disheartening to pump for so long and get nothing but I kept it up. By the next day at noon, I started getting in colostrum. And then on Thursday, my milk kick in. Since I left the hospital (last Friday), I've been using a double pump and pumping for 10 mins to get what I need. The docs and nurses have been very supportive and they all keep telling me to keep at it.

Since Noah doesn't take a lot of my milk, the excess goes off to a milk bank so it's good for other mummies too! :) Here's a pic of my milk delivery (7 x 90ml average) to the hospital for my son on last Sunday:

309765_10150378027676075_555106074_10371

Trust me when I say that I do get pangs of "WTH am I doing awake at 3am pumping milk? I wanna sleep!!!!" and then I think of how my son will starve if I don't pump or deliver my milk and it gets me back into the stride of pumping. Yes, I feel like a zombie sometimes but it's for my boy so never mind la. Can always catch up on sleep when he's older or back in my arms and doing the whole direct latch on!

Have you tried pumping WHILE you're feeding your baby? That way it's like double pump - it'll stimulate your body to produce more prolactin, etc.

To help with letdown, try seeing baby's pictures, relaxing, etc. It's good to have a quiet corner for both breastfeeding and pumping.

Wanna share with the ladies here that I gave birth on 11 September to a premature boy at 32 weeks so no latch on action for me. I've been pumping exclusively from day 1. It's my second week onto my pump and I'm hitting anywhere from 90 to 120ml per pump (eight times a day) whereas my boy is only taking in like less than 200ml per day. I started pumping about four hours after I gave birth and once every three hours to stimulate milk production to come in. It took a while - seriously. It was very disheartening to pump for so long and get nothing but I kept it up. By the next day at noon, I started getting in colostrum. And then on Thursday, my milk kick in. Since I left the hospital (last Friday), I've been using a double pump and pumping for 10 mins to get what I need. The docs and nurses have been very supportive and they all keep telling me to keep at it.

Since Noah doesn't take a lot of my milk, the excess goes off to a milk bank so it's good for other mummies too! :) Here's a pic of my milk delivery (7 x 90ml average) to the hospital for my son on last Sunday:

309765_10150378027676075_555106074_10371

Trust me when I say that I do get pangs of "WTH am I doing awake at 3am pumping milk? I wanna sleep!!!!" and then I think of how my son will starve if I don't pump or deliver my milk and it gets me back into the stride of pumping. Yes, I feel like a zombie sometimes but it's for my boy so never mind la. Can always catch up on sleep when he's older or back in my arms and doing the whole direct latch on!

congrats mei for ur new born! wish both mum and baby in the pink of health...

Congrats, Mabel. Great work.

I have always wondered whether we will have milk or not if we delivered prematurely and without bb's sucking stimulation. I have always read of mothers who delivered prematurely looking desperately for breast milk to feed their premmies so that their bb's immune system will be stronger. But you have proven likewise. Does the nurse cup feed Noah or tube feed him ur EBM?

Hope to see pics of little Noah soon. :wub:

kenmel - keep up the good work & keep motivating yourself. I always believe that the milk is there & direct latch on can always get it out & stimulate more, just that sometimes pumping cannot really pump it out so don't get discouraged. :wub:

You can ask Dr Koe about motilium, I know some mummies take it long term (few months) to stimulate more supply but don't think you really need it. I was on it for a few days when my baby was 1 week old as my baby wasn't getting enough milk (not pooping, pee kind of dark). I never use it again but my paed told me when I go back to work & if I'm stressed at work, I can take motilium to stimulate supply.

Q - The lactation consultant showed me that when I direct latch on, my baby's chin was in a way massaging my boob as he was sucking on. She taught me when direct latch on, use my fingers and rub my boob in little circles firmly to stimulate more milk. When I pump now, I squeeze my boob as I pump so it's faster & more milk comes out. I see some mummies in my company's mother's room use milk bottle filled with hot water, put it on their boob as they pump. :lol:

Mei - Congrats! Can't wait to read about your birth story on your blog! :cheers:

purple, it depends on your baby's age. Generally, babies above 34 weeks can latch on directly but Noah is below so he doesn't have the instinct to latch on and his mouth is too small for my nipple not to mention his jaw muscles are very underdeveloped. So he is on gavage feeding - it's a line/tube that goes into the mouth and directly into the stomach, and hooked up to a syringe. At the moment (today), he's taking in 23ml of milk eight times a day. :)

The hospital that I gave birth in handles most of the region's premmie cases and the nurses have the same advice for all the mummies who wanna BF preemies - pump regularly throughout the day and don't give up, especially in the first couple of days. I was told to pump every three hours - the same advice was given by the LC in Switzerland when I had Eva - AND to drink LOTS of water. Maybe that's what made the difference?

Ash, birth story is up on my baby blog! :)

Avolet, thanks dear! It was very unexpected but hey, he's out liao so never mind la. :)

Meiteoh! Congrats on your newborn! Was glad for u that u manage everything so well. Although i think u must be worried sick when noah was born prematurely.

Don't know how u handle a premature baby and all but do share more on your thoughts...

And good job on the milk production! :-p

Hi Mabel.. just read this thread and found out that u've delivered. CONGRATS!!!

It's great to hear n see pics of yr supply. I have so many friends who claim that mom who deliver premies will NOT have milk cos the breast are not ready (it seems the millk will only come after 36 weeks!) Keep up the good work. *pat on the back*:)

Btw, I remember that u used to give Eva "dream feed". My baby is 2.5mths and she can sleep from 12-5am without feeding, sometimes longer. Should I wake her up? I usually pump it out if she doesnt wake up..

Zero, thanks sweets! Aiya, no la, all the premies housed with Noah are on BM or lait maternal (mummy's milk) so it's not true - not getting milk bit. If they don't believe you, you can tell them about me and Wye Ee. :)

As for your bubs, if she's gaining weight well, then you can skip the dream feed and just pump to store up your milk bank. If she's like Eva - slow at gaining weight - then dream feed her loh. :)

congrats mei..... big hugs for you...

your BM looks so thick and creamy. ... haha... seem like very yummy.

looking forwards for baby noah pic

Ash, thanks for sharing, i shall try it out

kenmel - keep up the good work & keep motivating yourself. I always believe that the milk is there & direct latch on can always get it out & stimulate more, just that sometimes pumping cannot really pump it out so don't get discouraged. :wub:

You can ask Dr Koe about motilium, I know some mummies take it long term (few months) to stimulate more supply but don't think you really need it. I was on it for a few days when my baby was 1 week old as my baby wasn't getting enough milk (not pooping, pee kind of dark). I never use it again but my paed told me when I go back to work & if I'm stressed at work, I can take motilium to stimulate supply.

Q - The lactation consultant showed me that when I direct latch on, my baby's chin was in a way massaging my boob as he was sucking on. She taught me when direct latch on, use my fingers and rub my boob in little circles firmly to stimulate more milk. When I pump now, I squeeze my boob as I pump so it's faster & more milk comes out. I see some mummies in my company's mother's room use milk bottle filled with hot water, put it on their boob as they pump. :lol:

Mei - Congrats! Can't wait to read about your birth story on your blog! :cheers:

Any mom here has experience of Bf'ing twins?

I m expecting twins, in my 26 wks soon...

Been Bf'ing my elder daughter for 1 full year, wasn't easy, but managed to....

Really wonder how tough it could be to squeeze enough for both???

Sauna Salı günleri tam gün bayanlara özel, Pazar günleri tam gün erkeklere özel Sauna Florya Flowers Healt Club 0212 662 77 77 Giriş Ücreti 33 TL

You may try to PM fluene. She managed to bf her twins successfully. *Salute*

Congrats Ceetee,

Haven't seen you around for some time. And twins this time around...congrats on your good news. :cheers: How's Gina? Ivan was also on EBM till around 11months.

Yes, as AngelT mentioned, you may want to try get some tips from Fluene. She managed to breastfed twins.

Thx, Angel T. I almost forgot about Fluene....

Ya, will pm her.

Purple lotus, hi, long time no 'see'.....

Hav been busy with work...

Gina is fine, learning to talk now... Very talkactive... :)

I stopped Bf'ing her since I found out some swollen milk glands in my breasts.

Typical clogged milk glands, but couldn't seem to go despite trying diff methods.

And by then, I was also planning for 2nd pregnancy oredi....

Hey, Congrates on your pregnancy too. Going to due soon huh....

hi there,

i would like to ask, is it true that eating vege more will coz our milk to be more watery and hence baby will not feel full?

My confinement lady said that my milk is too dilute coz of vege i eat.

No such thing lar.

Usually BM is more dilluted in the 1st few mths and will start to be more pekat after that.